I apologize for the amount of times I’m going to punch you in the face with citrus this week.

But not really.

It hurts, I know.

Citrus is just so so so good.

I find oranges, lemons, limes and the like to be one of the most powerful game changers: they flavor dishes so deeply and so differently that it knocks your socks off. Sort of like caramelized onions. Or smoked sea salt. Or… brown butter? Without all the calories. Wait. What are calories?

Oooooh and they also are a main ingredient in margaritas. Citrus, not calories. Silly. I can ride that gravy train.

It’s my opinion that so many people fail at eating healthy meals because they don’t know any better and eat them PLAIN. Ugh. Just that word makes me cringe and shrivel into a miserable little ball. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Take my husband for example. When I first met him, he ate plain ground turkey. Plain egg whites. Plain chicken. Plain everything. The man didn’t live, I tell you.

Granted once we started dating he had a constant supply of cheese in his fridge and gained like 20 pounds, but whatever. He needed it.

Seriously, now stop whatever it is that you’re doing. I mean, I’m sure it’s not important, like going to work or exercising or whatever. Psssh. You don’t need that. But you DO need to go buy some tilapia and make this for lunch. Okay, okay… dinner works too. If you are out of breadcrumbs, you can keep it crumbless a la honey lime tilapia and add the salsa on top. But whatever you do… promise me you are making the salsa. Today, today I say!

Citrus Crusted Tilapia

serves 2-4

4 fresh (or thawed) tilapia filets

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

3/4 cup panko bread crumbs

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs

the zest of 2 blood oranges, 1 lime and 1 lemon

pinch of salt

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, place a wire rack on top, and spray the wire rack with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, add bread crumbs, flour, citrus zest and pinch of salt. In another bowl, lightly beat egg whites.

Season each piece of tilapia with salt and pepper. Dip each piece of tilapia in beaten egg whites, then coat with citrus breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack and spray lightly with nonstick spray.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden.

Blood Orange Salsa

[adapted from perry’s plate!]

2 blood oranges, segmented and chopped

1 clementine, segmented and chopped

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

1/2 jalapeno, chopped

2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients together and mix. Let sit for 30 minutes so the flavors marry. Yum!

Oh and make a margarita too.

106 Responses to “Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa.”

Gina — January 11, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Jessica, this is just beautiful. I’ve been looking high and low for some blood oranges and I live in CA, so usually we have them by now. I want to try this when I find the oranges. Just say “No” to plain food, lol.
    -Gina-

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 11, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Your tilapia obsession is totally fueling my own! I am making this tonight!

Corrie — January 11, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Good grief, you’ve done it again.If I can find blood oranges, this is on the “to make” list for next week. I just LOVE colorful plates!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — January 11, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Such colorful food lately! :) LOVE it!

kaceyt @ om&nom.com — January 11, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

Sounds like my man…his dinners usually consisted of a can of tuna and a protein shake:P Not anymore!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — January 11, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Thinking of putting this blood orange salsa on those scones from the other day. No such thing as citrus overload!

Ginger — January 11, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Dear Jessica,

Please come and cook for me forever. I can pay you in useless trivia and databases.

Sincerely,

Lindsay

Amanda — January 11, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Definitely going to make something like this for dinner tomorrow! While I don’t have all these ingredients, I already have blood oranges and tilapia at home. So, I’ll be making some variation of this!

Betsy @ BMoore Healthy — January 11, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Damn, does this look incredible. Need to make soon!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 11, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I can’t get enough of the citrus this year, so keep the recipes coming!

Maria — January 11, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

That last photo looks scrumptabulous (scrumptious & fantastic? whatever, it’ll catch ;))

Clare @ SweetnSimple — January 11, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I love pretty much anything citrus, I’ve never tried tilapia before, looks beautiful :)

Chels R. — January 11, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

That looks fishtacular!!!! I love it!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 11, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

I might have to make this for my dinner party on Saturday!!! Sounds FABULOUS!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — January 11, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

I know so many people who live the plain life! So gross. This is a beautiful dish!

Jennifer | Mother Thyme — January 11, 2012 @ 10:21 pm

I just love Tilapia and a burst of fresh citrus from this delicious recipe is what I need to create the next time I make fish! Fabulous!

Living The Sweet Life — January 11, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

DEEEELICIOUS!! – – The blood orange salsa blows my mind

Lynne Knowlton — January 12, 2012 @ 9:59 am

What are calories?!

Calories are the little tiny creatures that hide in your closet at night and sew your clothes a little tighter.

Oh, and Oh how I adore your blog. You rock out loud. I attached you to my blogroll in my blog too.

I should be the size of a two ton Tessie if I make all your recipes, but I WILL BE the happiest gal on earth. And a full gal too.

Much love, Lynne xx

Katie @ Oh Shine On — January 12, 2012 @ 10:17 am

oh, okay, I’ll skip the gym if you reeaaaaalllllyyyy think I should… because you were a personal trainer, you must be right in this and you fully encourage eating fish instead. I’m game.

Valerie — January 12, 2012 @ 12:02 pm

Made this last night with chicken instead of fish. It was AMAZING.. the salsa was so good, I’d eat it on a tire.

Erin — January 12, 2012 @ 12:09 pm

This looks amaaaaaaazing. I just discovered the individually wrapped frozen tilapia fillets. I usually stay away from frozen fish, but they were good and sooooooo easy. I was just crusting them with plain panko and lemon. This is absolutely a million times better.

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — January 12, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I have Tilapia in the fridge and I’m TOTALLY making a version [minus breadcrumbs] of this!

Michelle @lipstickandlunges.com — January 12, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I have tilapia in the refrigerator and have been dying for some inspiration. Thanks, lady! This looks so good.
    — Michelle

Emily (Edible Psychology) — January 12, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Wow, this looks amazing!!!

Haley — January 12, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

i saw this and had to try it, so i made it for dinner tonight. it was delicious, and that salsa was perfect for it. thanks for the idea!

Ann — January 12, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

This looks delicious! I’m a fan of citrus so use as much as you want! I also LOVE blood oranges! We lived right next to a blood orange grove when we spent 3 years in Sicily – it was amazing!

SallyBR — January 15, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

Hello! Just wanted to let you know I made it for our dinner on Friday night, it was delicious! I omitted the salsa, used only the filets with white rice and a veggie side dish. Very tasty, much lighter than the usual fried version.

This will have a regular appearance at our home!

(depending on my photos, I’ll blog about it, and of course include a link to your site and all credit to you!)

thanks, great recipe

Josh pugliese — January 17, 2012 @ 6:23 pm

Hey Jessica
    I’ve been making and getting great ideas from you. I normally start out with a martini, so Thursday night I’ll be making my husband a “blood orange martini” followed by your recipe. I often post on Facebook my food creations (thank you again for ideas) I like the 1st course to always start out with signature cocktail that follows ingredients from dinner. Keep posted so I can up my game :)

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — January 19, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Simple. Beautiful. What a great combination Jessica!

Jackie — January 22, 2012 @ 7:39 pm

Yum! I’m thinking about making these for my dinner party next week. What side item would you serve the tilapia with…could I pair it with roasted potatoes? What do you suggest?

Katie — January 22, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I just made a variation of this with chicken and a few substitutions based on what I had already and it was heavenly, you are a genius!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — January 26, 2012 @ 2:49 am

Yum! Love that blood orange salsa.

Angela — January 30, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

I made this Sunday for lunch. It was delicious! This recipe is definitely a make again recipe! Thank you.

Laura — February 9, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Jessica, could this work with salmon (just on the top)? Also, what would you serve this with? Basmati? Or red potatoes? What do you think?

Thanks!

• Jessica — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Not sure what you mean by “just the top?” But yes, I definitely think it will work with salmon! And I think any of those options are great to serve it with. Depends on what you’re in the mood for!

Heather @ InHerChucks — February 10, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

This dish is out of this world! Thank you so much for the inspiration :) http://inherchucks.com/2012/02/07/citrus-crusted-tilapia-with-blood-orange-salsa/

sarah o'brien — June 15, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

this looks absolutely divine!

Jamie (I LOVE your recipes!) — July 9, 2012 @ 12:04 am

So…We’ve been trying to eat healthier meals. And usually they are plain – yuck! But I am inspired by your recipes and I think we’ll try this next week! (If we can find the blood oranges that is)

1. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa. - San Francisco Luxury Living | San Francisco Luxury Living

2. Pingback: The Blood Orange « runningbonvivant

3. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia « wafoodie

4. Pingback: Blood Oranges | drink. eat. play. repeat.

5. Pingback: Citrus Crusted Tilapia with Blood Orange Salsa « In Her Chucks

6. Pingback: trop50 red orange giveaway

7. Pingback: Pinterest Made Me Do It | The Sassy Swan

8. Pingback: Put Some Fruit In Your Salsa and Eat It. | Lifestyle Pins

9. Pingback: Favorite Recipes from Around the Web | The Sassy Swan

10. Pingback: Crusted Tilapia with Orange Jalapeno Salsa | Gourmet Beauty

11. Pingback: Jeobox – 22 Fabulous Fruit Salsas

12. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

13. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

14. Pingback: 21 Ridiculously Easy Salsa Recipes That Bring The Party » Blogfrogg.com

15. Pingback: 21 Incredibly Easy Salsa Recipes You Need To Try | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

16. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!