Oh Monday… you look good.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

I’ve made no bones about it: growing up, pasta was just not my thing. Combined with my utter distaste for all tomato sauce, noodles never ever did it for me. My mom religiously made pasta every Thursday night (it’s still happening) and you could often find me up in my room hungry and throwing the tantrum of the century… every single week.

Wish I grew out of that, but… I threw a massive tantrum last Sunday night when my husband refused to watch the Golden Globes with me and gossip about celebrities. He’s no fun.

Some things never change?

Occasionally my mom would toss some gnocchi or ravioli into the mix to appease me, but I would still choose to pout and be generally bratty in that… adorable 13-year old way. I can’t wait to have teenagers.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

While I’ve made a habit of baking some of my previously favorite fried foods (think chicken fingers, fish sticks and mashed potatoes), ravioli has never made the cut. Which is stupid, because uh… it’s perfect. And now it’s crunchy on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside.

Say what?

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Ideal for a night time snack attack.

And lots more filling than an entire bag of Trader Joe’s Crunchy Curls emotionally eaten while on your ninth consecutive hour of Dexter. But I’m not sure of that or anything.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Ooooh I like this part.

Like, really like this part.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli

serves 2-4, depending on ravioli size

1 pound frozen cheese ravioli (about 40 pieces)

3 egg whites, lightly beaten

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 3/4 cups panko breadcrumbs

1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

3 tablespoons grated romano cheese + more for topping

pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

marinara sauce for dipping

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray. Add egg whites to one bowl, and in a larger bowl mix flour, bread crumbs, panko, romano, salt and pepper.

Bring water to a boil and cook ravioli for half of the recommended time. I let mine boil for a little over 2 minutes, then drained them and quickly spray through them with nonstick spray to help them not stick together. Once cool to the touch, dip each ravioli in egg whites then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack and repeat until finished. Spray each with a quick hit of nonstick spray. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crispy and golden.

Serve hot with marinara for dipping.

Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli I howsweeteats.com

But I like that part better.

166 Responses to “Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli.”

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — January 23, 2012 @ 7:59 am

This looks amazing! And it’s something that my two year old would even eat (he refuses to eat anything these days). :) Especially since it has a dipping sauce, what’s better than that?

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — January 23, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I didn’t like things like that growing up either. This is a recipe I can totally do in a pinch! ….If only I can find a good quality cheese ravioli. If so GAME ON!

Em (Wine and Butter) — January 23, 2012 @ 8:02 am

YAY! Someone else who doesnt like pasta! I like lasagne and tortellini (but only if theyve been fried after boiling, with lots of garlic). Seems like this bread crumb coated ravioli might be like that too. Yum! I do like bread!! (SO much – !!!)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — January 23, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Mmmm perfect comfort food for a rainy/icy Monday morning. Looks delicious and starting with premade ravioli makes it so much easier!

Heather — January 23, 2012 @ 8:07 am

reading through the recipe, it sounds SO EASY – yet something that will TOTALLY impress anyone I make these for [read: Nicholas, his Grandmother, or my neighbor friend, also named Heather.] – a totally WIN in my book, my friend. THANKS!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 23, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Um, these remind me of mozzarella sticks but better. Oh my!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 23, 2012 @ 8:12 am

woah baby – I love fried ravioli. The only problem is I first must make my own ravioli and then do the whole shebang. Looks good!

Sommer J — January 23, 2012 @ 8:15 am

OK, so my daughter hates pasta (she likes homemade pasta dough though, weirdo lol) and my son hates tomato sauce, I must make this to see if they’d like it like this. Yeah. them ;) They love love all things crunchy! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying!

Maria — January 23, 2012 @ 8:16 am

OMG this just reminded me of my love for fried ravioli that I used to have every year at the Italian festival in my hometown. Of course I need to make these at some point. I guess getting that holiday weight off is going to take longer than I anticipated ha.

Becki's Whole Life — January 23, 2012 @ 8:16 am

Fried ravioli – yum. I have never seen oven fried though – I will have to try this. Could also make a good dinner with a side salad.

Kim in MD — January 23, 2012 @ 8:19 am

I can’t tell you how happy you have made me this morning! I refuse to fry anything, and my children love fried ravioli. Needless to say, I never make it at home for them because of the whole greasy frying thing. I can’t wait to make this, and it will be on my Superbowl menu for sure! Can you tackle oven-fried mozzarella sticks next? ;-)

Katrina — January 23, 2012 @ 8:20 am

These rock my freaking morning world! Mmm mmm.

heather — January 23, 2012 @ 8:23 am

This is INSANE! I want.

Bev Weidner — January 23, 2012 @ 8:28 am

Dexter is my boyfriend….I….hope we’re clear on that.

And he just fed me 38,000 of these crunchy lovers.

I….hope you’re okay with that…

Lissa (Bellenza) — January 23, 2012 @ 8:28 am

I already LOVE ravioli…but a crunchy version must be fantastic!

T.A. Helton — January 23, 2012 @ 8:33 am

Baked and crunchy raviolis are a serious weakness of mine. Dip them in spicy red sauce…Mmmm! WINNING!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — January 23, 2012 @ 8:34 am

I have a pasta-hating daughter and it drives. me. crazy. Doesn’t she know all my quick, go-to easy dishes include pasta? Uuuugh.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — January 23, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I love that these are baked. I can totally do this!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — January 23, 2012 @ 8:39 am

I’m with you – pasta doesn’t do much for me. But these? I could totally get into these.

Kelly — January 23, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Never in my life would I have thought to bread and “fry” ravioli…the way your mind works amazes me!

Rachel — January 23, 2012 @ 8:44 am

YUM. I loved fried ravioli, but I don’t make it often because frying is such a process. This is perfect! Thank you!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — January 23, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Great idea! Love how simple this is.

Candice — January 23, 2012 @ 8:54 am

You need to add a “Pin It” button to your posts! This was pinned immediately (which I think means the ravioli and I are going to go steady).

Priyanka — January 23, 2012 @ 8:55 am

Wow..thats a wonderful idea. Very inviting

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — January 23, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I didn’t really have much interest in the Golden Globes this year, but if you were to make this, I’d come over and sit on the couch to gossip with you for as long as your heart desires! ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 23, 2012 @ 9:01 am

i don’t understand how we’re friends with your pasta hatred thing, but i’m glad you realized that ravioli is the perfect fried food :)

Erica — January 23, 2012 @ 9:03 am

What a fun idea. Awesome super bowl food!!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — January 23, 2012 @ 9:06 am

My mom would freak out over this recipe! I’m a bad Italian and have always disliked ravioli.. Freak, I know.

Where’d you get that black and white plate?? Pretty!

• Jessica — January 23rd, 2012 @ 10:23 am

Macy’s – it’s Martha Stewart. Actually, my husband bought it, haha.

• donna — January 23rd, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

well, i’m a good Italian and i think it would be a sin to NOT make these ravioli!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — January 23, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Ooooh, fried ravioli is so delicious and this would be a perfect finger food for the upcoming Superbowl!! I’m so excited to try them.
    Have a wonderful week, Jessica!

Gen — January 23, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I’ve actually never had ravioli cooked like that…..all crispy and yummy-looking and stuff! Have to try this soon!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — January 23, 2012 @ 9:21 am

I can’t wait to make these. The last time I had them was in Memphis and BBQ they can do, toasted ravioli, not so much. ;)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — January 23, 2012 @ 9:23 am

Anything fried with cheese in the middle is always a good time.
    And how far are you with Dexter? Soooo goooood…

• Jessica — January 23rd, 2012 @ 10:21 am

End of season 4!

Becca — January 23, 2012 @ 9:23 am

Ooooo yummy! I have never had fried ravioli but it looks delicious! I agree please make mozzarella sticks:)

P.s. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzze (bats eyelashes)

JulieD — January 23, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Hello amazing! Wow…just wow. Does it make it healthy since you made it in the oven? :)

Julie @ Table for Two — January 23, 2012 @ 9:36 am

This is rocking my world right now. I want to make a bowl of this for superbowl sunday.

amanda @ fake ginger — January 23, 2012 @ 9:38 am

I tried fried ravioli once at Olive Garden and it was so bad. Like, break-your-teeth-because-it-was-so-crunchy bad. But your version looks so much better! Not sure my husband will eat it though so I’ll save it for when he’s gone. And the kids are in bed. So I can have it all to myself. :)

Jocelyn — January 23, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Crunchy outside, cheesy inside!!! I am so there!!!!

CWH — January 23, 2012 @ 9:49 am

These look fantasticccccc. I need them now. . . . k, thanks. And I love everyone’s ideas to make this for the Super Bowl. Good Thinking!

Mommyof2Girlz/StephD — January 23, 2012 @ 10:03 am

Wow these look spectacular! I can not wait to make these, thanks for sharing!!!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — January 23, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I can’t imagine not loving pasta…crazy girl. These look awesome– perfect for a Superbowl snack (or Oscars, take your pick :-))

• Jessica — January 23rd, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I know… so weird.

Cookbook Queen — January 23, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Siiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

I need this in my life like, yesterday.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — January 23, 2012 @ 10:05 am

i’m not sure which i love more — these ravioli or dexter (my OBSESSION). probably the ravioli, but it’s close. i’ll take the best of both worlds and eat the ravioli while watching dexter!

sherri lynn @ life of a wife — January 23, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I had some toasted ravioli at an Italian restaurant months ago and still have been thinking about it! can’t wait to try your recipe!

Jenn — January 23, 2012 @ 10:14 am

These look amazing!

Mel — January 23, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Oh yum…. “fried” cheesy goodness. I think I need these for breakfast

Maria — January 23, 2012 @ 10:25 am

What a fun appetizer for any party!

Deborah — January 23, 2012 @ 10:27 am

I have never thought to bake these – what a brilliant idea!!

Megan — January 23, 2012 @ 10:30 am

Yum! Where did you get the ravioli you used?

• Jessica — January 23rd, 2012 @ 10:37 am

Just at my local grocery store!

Alexis @ There She Goes — January 23, 2012 @ 10:41 am

seriously…perfect snack food right here

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — January 23, 2012 @ 10:42 am

You and Bev are KILLING me with the ravioli today. Killing!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Super Bowl Eats Planning via Pinterest « Snickerdoodle State of Mind

2. Pingback: Superbowl Recipe Roundup | The Secret Life of Mrs. Bundt

3. Pingback: what’s new with me (and a giveaway!) « salt & pepper

4. Pingback: Dinner Menu {March 4-9} « sensiblysara

5. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli – Healthy Coconut

6. Pingback: Ravioli Workout « Bites of Balance

7. Pingback: Toasted Ravioli hit the high spots (Missouri) « My Emu Is Emo

8. Pingback: Dinner Menu {March 4-9} « sensiblysara.com

9. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-fried Cheese Ravioli | The Illusion of Gourmet

10. Pingback: Toasted Ravioli « Cooking Whims

11. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Ravioli | The Spiffy Cookie

12. Pingback: Oven Fried Ravioli | cleanhousegal

13. Pingback: For Your New Years Party « oh so decadent

14. Pingback: For Your Super Bowl Party « oh so decadent

15. Pingback: {Easy} Appetizer | Just a Delight!

16. Pingback: Sunday Dinner + Whipped Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Pie | Everyday's a 'Hollyday'

17. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: 15 Fried Cheese Recipes