Say hello to my new favorite appetizer.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Don’t be shy.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I found this gem a few weeks ago while sorting through Mother Lovett’s recipes… and aren’t these the best ones ever? I KNOW.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Yellowed newspaper and all. I don’t even get a newspaper. I don’t even read one. I live a sad, sorry life.

So, I’ve been hoarding this recipe for a few weeks waiting for the right day to hit it up, and apparently yesterday was it.

Because I was hungry.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Because it was raining? Because I was craving cloud-like puffed potatoes? Because I wanted something crunchy? Because I needed something to smother in Bone Suckin’ Sauce?

I’m going with all of the above.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I know it doesn’t really sound like something can be crispy and puffy at the same time… but guess what? It totally can. Crispy on the outside, soft and light on the inside. Yes yes and yes. And yes again. These are fabulously fantastic and make me want to only eat potatoes for the rest of my existence.

I’m cool with it.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs

makes about 70 puffs

2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

2 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons minced green onions

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3-4 cups seasoned panko bread crumbs

Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and add back to the pot, then mash with salt, pepper, butter and milk. Stir in parmesan and onions, then place the mixture in the fridge to cool for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Remove potatoes from fridge and roll into 1-inch balls. Dip in beaten egg, then cover in bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet 1-2 inches apart, and hit each with a quick spritz of olive oil or cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until outside is crispy.

Note: I know this sounds like a fabulous idea for leftover mashed potatoes, but I can’t say for sure that the potatoes will hold up – it depends on the actual recipe you use and how much butter is added.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?? SWEET POTATOES.

157 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs.”

Penny Cobb — January 27, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

This was the first site I pinned when I started my Pinterest site and I’ve been wanting to make them all week. Well, let me say that I was not disappointed. They are so easy and delicious. I halved the recipe since it was just the hubby and I. It made 20 nice sized puffs, we ate every last one of them! I only wish I had read all the comments earlier because I had some bacon I could have tossed in. Oh well, that means I’ll just have to make them again, real soon! Thanks for sharing.

Bailey — February 1, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

I’ve been on a mission to find more ways to use potatoes other than oven baked and mashed– these are perfect, and so cute! I shall be making these tonight to go with dinner, yay!

Laura Zanone — February 1, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Has anyone prepared these a day in advance of cooking?

Sharonck — April 6, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

These are delish and easy. Reheated leftovers are just as good as the first go around.

nada — May 6, 2012 @ 1:59 am

hello
    avery nice option for potatoe lovers;)
    I wonder if i substitue butter with veg oil will the output be as delicious as it shows here..??

Leslie @ healthybybalance — May 6, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

I laughed at the end of this post because that’s exactly what I was thinking! Sweet potatoes! I am so in love with this recipe…you rule! I love to make dips so thanks for giving me something else to dip!

Jessica — July 14, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

I made these last night, recipe worked perfectly, and they tasted delicious! They were a big hit at poker night.

Meagan — July 20, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

I made these tonight and followed the recipe EXACTLY! Mine came out flat and not crispy at all :(. And I have a new Kenmore Elite oven! The flavor is great but the presentation is lacking… Let’s just say mine don’t look like the picture…. In the picture, were the potato puffs deep fried? Have you ever double breaded these to enhance crispiness and help retain shape?

Rosalind — August 12, 2012 @ 12:14 am

I made these for my daughter tonight who is in love with Kumara (what you guys call sweet potato) and used chedder cheese in the mixture then combined grated parmesan into the breadcrumb mixture with some garlic salt…yum yum. Thanks for the idea and for jazzing up our tea!!

FF — August 13, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

These look great, and are akin to the traditional Spanish dish known in English as “Croquettes.” We make these in Uruguay all the time, and we also stuff the center of the balls with fresh mozzarella and ham, so when you bite into them it’s all melted and delicious. This does, of course, make it so that the balls are not always quite so bite-sized. The other thing is that we use regular bread-crumbs instead of panko. I tend to add Italian seasoning to them, if I’m not just buying Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Yum yum. I love these.

Lynnette Earle — August 29, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

I made the “filling” about 3 hours beforehand and put into the fridge. When I was ready, I took them out of the fridge and continued with the directions. They came out perfectly. I did use regular bread crumbs mixed with parmesan and spices and baked them for about 18 mins + 2mins on broil. I also used a small cookie scoop to measure out the balls – great idea – all the balls came out exactly the same size and I got about 40 balls with half the recipe. now to try par-baking them and then freezing them for quick meals.

• Linda — September 7th, 2012 @ 9:51 am

How did the par-baking and freezing go?

Veronica Burns — September 7, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

I just made these, found you via pinterest. Love them! My husband is thrilled with them. We will be coming back to this recipe again. Thank you!

ATasteOfMadness — February 6, 2013 @ 3:21 am

I know what I’ll be making soon. This looks delicious!

lili — August 4, 2013 @ 4:06 am

goguma!

Wilton Recipe — March 10, 2014 @ 9:59 am

Kelly — September 24, 2014 @ 12:50 pm

I am planning on making these for a party on Sunday but I have to make them ahead of time (wednesday or thursday). Should I prepare everything up to the point of baking them and then bake them at the party? Will they be okay to sit for a few days already rolled into balls and breaded?

1. Pingback: Easy New Year’s Eve Party On A Budget | RecipeLionBlog

2. Pingback: Just because Dr. Oz said so. « justus4carters

3. Pingback: Saturday Shuffle | A Nervous Tic Motion

4. Pingback: Sweet Potato Poppers « Live and Love to Eat

5. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs « naturalfemina

6. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs | Slinging Eggs and Bacon

7. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: FOOD: Recipe – Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs | A Girl Named Spark…..

9. Pingback: Football… Just a game or a reason to entertain? « Klondike Potatoes

10. Pingback: Parmesan Potato Bites | Baked by Rachel