1. I’ve been such a grown up this week! Yesterday we bought a new washer/dryer and today I went ALL BY MYSELF to get my tires rotated. This is huge.

2. I should not brag about such things however, because now we are broke.

3. I also have determined that I would rather spend my money on anything – and I literally mean ANYTHING, like even a freaking broccoli farm – than a washing machine. Barf.

4. I also got my car inspected today by accident. Total grown up.

5. While getting my car inspected by accident, I sat next to the most negative woman I have ever encountered in my life. So I secretly brought up a positive quote search on Pinterest and titled my iPad her way.

6. We are now enamored by this insanely easy tomato sauce. It is so incredible and even I – who has abhorred all things tomato sauce-ish since birth – find myself craving it. I mean, lots of spoonfuls of romano helps.

7. Remember last year when I went through an obsessive tuna + avocado lunch phase? Well… it’s back. But with really thick, crusty toasted multigrain bread and bacon. Oye.

8. I am still going full throttle on that Taylor Dayne Pandora station, and it’s been made even better by like, every single song off Toni Braxton’s album, Secrets. God I love the 90s.

9. And speaking of, I’m THISCLOSE to buying the complete Dawson’s Creek series on DVD. It’s like I’m craaaaving it.

10. Wait, you mean real grown-ups don’t do that after they have to blow all their money on major appliances?

11. I wish I could still go to the prom. Or just go shop for a fun fancy dress. Me thinks I need to find a way to get into the Oscars.

12. You know the whole cruise ship tragedy thing? Well for my entire life, that is what I’ve envisioned it would be like to go on a cruise. That if I went on a cruise, THAT would happen. I have never desired to go on a cruise and though I’m riddled with many irrational fears (um like someone throwing me over the railing of the second floor at the mall if I stand too close), now I can ensure you that I will never, ever, ever go on one. Unless Leonardo Dicaprio would like to accompany me.

13. For dinner tonight I will be making this white bean soup because I can’t get it out of my head. In fact, I might just dunk my entire head in the pot tonight. What are you having?

14. Dude, I’m staving. Must find food.

116 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Kristin — January 17, 2012 @ 6:49 pm

#12 Um, yeah. Me too. Just try to get me to go on a boat on the ocean. Just try. “Oh, you’re going on a cruise to Jamaica? Enjoy getting looted by pirates while capsizing and being eaten by sharks.” No.

bobbi g — January 17, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

My daughter is shopping for a prom gown and I sooo want to buy one for myself. Just to wear around the house.

• Sally — January 17th, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

Me too and I’m 67 years old! And the shoes, all sparkly with really high heels. Well I can dream (and remember).

Amanda — January 17, 2012 @ 6:52 pm

That is my go to tomato sauce most of the time. But with garlic to. Everything is better with garlic. Everything. BUT lately I am obsessed with Muir Glenn fire roasted tomato sauce with brown butter. BROWN BUTTER also makes everything GREAT!

misty — January 17, 2012 @ 6:55 pm

Well i am a real grown up and I own all 4 seasons of the OC and could watch it a million times over… I highly recommend it!

Viola @ Project Sweet Stuff — January 17, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

This is great! I must say, I have experienced many of the notions you are going through. I have craved Dawsons Creek like a pre-pubescent school girl… Taken the car to get serviced (smiled and nodded the whole time)…currently in a 90’s R’n’B whirlwind (Boys 2 Men playing right now)… and so wishing my Soy no foam latte were a cupcake.

It’s Wednesday in Australia though… does that still count?

emily W. — January 17, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I might have to make that sauce, fo realz…
    Since you asked…
    tonight we’re having stir-fried red cabbage a la Mark Bittman, and stir-fried tofu with veggies. Not too shabby. Need lotsa practice with the bland, mushy stuff.
    Do you have a nephew in the military? Because they have several formal balls a year. Hello dress time!!

Caroline @ Pink Basil — January 17, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

1) That sauce is AMAZING
    2) Another symptom of being an adult is when you have fantasies about owning your own washer dryer like I do. Damn my communal apartment laundry room…

Mariah — January 17, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Your number 5 made me laugh really hard. Good work on being such a grownup! I’m thinking you can just coast for the rest of the week :)

Sally — January 17, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

I’d rather buy a washer/dryer than a crumby hot water heater! We just bought one, hideously expensive and it’s in the cellar!

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — January 17, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

I’m also afraid of cruise ships. hello…titanic!

Nicole — January 17, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

I am with you on #9 my husband got me the complete set for christmas love it!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — January 17, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

LOLing about that negative woman and the positive interest- that’s totally what I would have done hahaha

Hannah — January 17, 2012 @ 8:24 pm

#1. Congrats on being a grownup. I am still working on that (at age 23).
    #5. Hahaha- that’s amazing. (Isn’t Pinterest great….and useful?)
    #12. Me too. I REALLY want to go on a cruise, but I can’t get over the fact that if something happened, it would just be me and the ocean (okay, maybe a small rubber boat between the two.)

Taylor — January 17, 2012 @ 8:36 pm

i’ve been reading your blog for a little over a year now and i love every recipe, post, etc! you’ve gotten me hooked on pinterest, bacon and baking at all hours of the night! keep it up, i’ve loved everything :)

Clare — January 17, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

You can help me choose my winter formal dress! Might not be as exciting as an Oscars dress, but it still can equal hours of online shopping!

briana — January 17, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

Ok…so I’m 26 and totally want to buy the Dawson’s Creek DVDS too, but my husband said “no” lol …. I’m still considering it!

Jimi — January 17, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

If only we were neighbors, I would loan you every season of Dawson’s Creek. Sadly, we own them all. I feel pathetic admitting that.

mrsblocko — January 17, 2012 @ 8:58 pm

I’m not a big fan of tuna, but with avocado…hmmm…sounds intriguing.

I never got into that tomato sauce. I think I’m the only one on the planet.

I feel the exact same way about the cruise ship. When my husband and I were watching the news after it first happened. I sort of jumped up and down pointing at the tv saying “That. That right there. Is why we don’t go on cruises.”

ps had http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/sidedishes/garlic-fried-rice/ for dinner, except added 2 more eggs, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, corn and green beans, half the butter and double the garlic. So yum.

Melissa — January 17, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

Let’s throw our own prom. Prom was the best. Actually, getting ready for prom was the best. Anyway, I hope I don’t have a daughter because I will probably try on dresses with her when she goes to prom, thereby scarring her for life.

Amanda — January 17, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

#12 – I totes get the railing thing! I think it’s from watching Clueless over and over and over when I was younger. Or, you know, last week ;)

• HeatherMarie — January 17th, 2012 @ 10:31 pm

omg i think its the same thing! bc if im too close some guys will dangle me over the railing!!

Nancy B. — January 17, 2012 @ 9:30 pm

#12 made me LOL because I have the same irrational fear of being thrown over the rail! (anywhere)
    #13 This soup looks phenomenal. I will be trying
    it soon. I have rescently developed a bean obsession. Yum!

Kelly — January 17, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I want to go to prom too….dressing up is so fun!! It’s sad all my friends are past the special occasion dress up phase…meaning we are all married. I mean bridesmaid dresses aren’t exactly anything to sing about but it is still a pretty dress with an up-do!! Must make younger friends tomorrow.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 17, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

I would love it if I could buy a new washer and dryer – specifically a full sized front loading stackable. That would be awesome.

Cate — January 17, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

I wore OUT that Toni Braxton album!

Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy — January 17, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Hahaha…I called myself a grown-up today too. My co-workers wanted to go to a bar on Friday night, and I said I had to get up bright and early on Saturday morning for pre-marital counseling (which I am actually excited for). But…I don’t know if real grown-ups actually call themselves grown-ups? Maybe I’m just a wannabe :).

Stephanie — January 18, 2012 @ 12:16 am

We can’t get the Pandora stations here in Canada. It make me very sad :(

Brittany — January 18, 2012 @ 12:30 am

Just a thought… even the cruise Leo went on sunk and he had to freeze to death while his selfish girlfriend pushed him into the ocean…

Also, I totally own seasons of DC. LOVE that show!

tracy — January 18, 2012 @ 4:47 am

well SHUCKS. You’re gonna love prosciutto shards. I just know it.
    I was just telling my friend tonight how much I hate being a grown up.
    Sometimes I wish I could go back in time with my brain now and squish it into my little kid brain and reap the benefits of having parents to take care of everything. IF ONLY I COULD have savored it!!!

OH and HELLO DAWSON CREEK FAN!!! I die. That’s like music to my ears. Do you know that I do a mean Katie Holmes impression? She was my celebrity look alike when I was in high school. All i have to do is talk out of the side of my mouth and I have it down. Oh Dawson….how I love thee.

• Jessica — January 18th, 2012 @ 7:48 am

OMG I can TOTALLY see it!

Thee-Own-Ee — January 18, 2012 @ 8:49 am

GO BUY DAWSONS CREEK IMMEDIATELY! Best thing ever, I am currently having weekly marathons with my buddy, when his fiance isn’t there since she just shakes her head as we sing the theme song and are almost brought to tears when Mitch dies….

Cindy Coniglio — January 18, 2012 @ 9:05 am

Everytime we watch Cupcake Wars I think of you then I tell Nick 8000 times how I could totally see you on it. Miss you.

katie — January 18, 2012 @ 9:09 am

I have NEVER wanted to go on a cruise either because of that fear! Never will either! I just do not like the whole idea of it!

stephanie @cookinfanatic — January 18, 2012 @ 10:30 am

oh my gawww i made that tomato sauce a few weeks ago and fell IN LOVE. note to self: make again ASAP. yummmmmmmmmm!

Mollie — January 18, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Last week I splurged and bought the 90210 series! Am loving watching the old episodes. It’s funny you brought up Dawson’s Creek though, cuz I started trying talking myself into buying that one, too!

Maggie — January 18, 2012 @ 11:09 am

I have that irrational someone pushing me over the railing of the mall fear too. I also have the fear of someone pushing me onto the subway tracks. Which makes my at least twice-daily subway rides pretty anxiety inducing.

But good job being an adult. I hate spending money on adult things!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — January 18, 2012 @ 12:55 pm

The iPad saves the day. And now the Dawson’s Creek theme is in my head. Looking through cookbooks now to decide on dinner. I think that’s about it! :)

Karen T. — January 18, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

@Jessica – I am ALMOST certain you are my long lost twin (the non-look alike ones of course), because you have a tendency to know what’s in my brain on a normal basis. You speak of things that I think about all the time!! Heck I got so excited because my husband and I just got a grown-up bed and entertainment center. No more college looking furniture for us!! Thanks again for the daily laugh long lost non-look alike twin!!

Chelsea@Chelseaisdishingup — January 18, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I loooooooooooooooooooove Dawson’s Creek. I think it tells you everything you need to know about living life.

Tiffany — January 18, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

DOH – This looks great get in ma belly!! About the tires, I too think it is a huge accomplishment when I do that all by myself. When my husband told me I would be the one taking the car I know I looked like a deer in the headlights. And ditto on cruise ship….

Tiffany — January 18, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

P.S. When I look at my prom picture I laugh out loud. Huge big Tawny Kitaen aqua net sprayed hair and TIGHT white lace dress with matching shoes. Madonna meets Peg Bundy,

Tiffany — January 18, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

So wait a minute, I’m not the only person who LOVES Dawson’s Creek?!? I’ve got the entire series on DVD already and it goes without fail that whenever someone comes over and browses our DVD collection, I get interrogated as to why in the world we have the entire series. They just don’t understand…

Jess — January 18, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

This post made me laugh several times! Thank you :-)

Adrianne — January 19, 2012 @ 1:55 am

My mom and I LOVE your blog. Your sense of humor, your yummy recipes, and all of your beautiful photos, especially the ones of things being poured!!!

I was hoping you might be able to send me an invitation to Pinterest? I just discovered it after reading this post, and I would be so happy to have some pinboards of my very own.

• Jessica — January 19th, 2012 @ 7:53 am

sent!

• Adrianne — January 19th, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

Thank you so much!!

kristi — January 19, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Dawson’s?!?! Jeez… it crosses my mind every other day. I will rent the whole series next week when hubs goes out of town. And go to the “nice” mall an hour & a half away, buy a $500 dress, wear it while watching Dawson’s and drinking wine and eating pasta, then go back to the faraway mall & return it before he gets home. This sounds like a terrific plan.

SharesaE — January 20, 2012 @ 1:56 pm

I’m getting married in June and am trying to decide if I want a big wedding or just go to the J.P… I never went to Prom because for some reason here in TX it was $100 per ticket, we simply couldn’t afford it. So that being said, I feel like my wedding is my chance to attend Prom, but I am finding out that $2K doesn’t get you very far when you are trying to put together a wedding and reception. Ugghhh, so discouraging :-( Thanks Jess for letting me vent!

tamara — January 21, 2012 @ 1:38 am

BUY DAWSON’S CREEK!!!!! I found it on ebay!!! The complete series for $60 including shipping. I”ve just stumbled upon your blog and LOVE it but I know it was meant to be because I’m currently watching Dawson’s Creek!!!

Erin Masihdas — January 23, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

I LOVE Dawson’s Creek!! Why on earth is it not on Netflix yet?!

Linzo — January 24, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

You have inspired me to do 2 things today…

A) make that insanely easy tomato sauce (even though I have banned pasta and all carbs ughh)

B) never go on a cruise…my BF grew up taking cruise vaycays and has been wanting to plan one for us…I say NO WAY…Hawaii, Caribbean, even Mexico but sans the boat, I prefer to fly.

Lisa — January 25, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

Thank you for this. For making me laugh hysterically and then have to explain to my husband why I was laughing hysterically and read your list out loud to him. There are many days that we hate being grown-ups as well and would rather buy seasons of Dawson Creek.

Lisa — January 25, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

And one more thing… I have Marcela Hazan’s cookbook and it is a staple in my kitchen. That tomato sauce and all of her other sauces are just amazing.

Jodie — February 1, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

I have been obsessed with your blog since I stubled upon it! Love the recipes! I also have an irrational fear of being thrown over the railing at the mall!

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is