It was delicious.

See, I have a little bit of a thing for tuna. When I was little my mom used to hard boil eggs and make some delicious tuna salad. Then we would eat it on toast and it was sooooo good. Total comfort food. You know what I’m saying?

The problem here is that I don’t always have mayonnaise. I don’t really love it until it’s smeared on a BLT, minus the L and T. Or just lightly thrown into tuna or chicken salad… but that’s it. So yesterday when I was craving tuna? No mayo to be found. I love mustard but not enough to make tuna salad out of mustard entirely. And no, I will never eat tuna plain again. Had enough that when training for fitness competitions and the thought makes me want to hurl myself off a bridge.

I had avocado though! I sort of bought 9 avocados last week because they are so hit or miss here in Pittsburgh and I really wanted to make that frosting. I figured if I bought 9 at least half of them had to be okay.

So I mixed the tuna with about 1/3 of an avocado, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper.

Then I mashed it all up and made it look ugly.

I also ended up adding some feta and then had it on toast. With chips. I actually loved it more than tuna made with mayo because it was thick and dense. I ate it again today.

And now I’m craving a peanut butter cup.

68 Responses to “That Lunch I Ate Yesterday.”

Katie@Cozydelicious — May 11, 2011 @ 11:14 am

I adore the idea of using avocado instead of amyo in tuna salad! I’m wondering… would the same hold for egg salad? I bet avocado/egg salad would be awesome too!

Hannah at FleurDeLicious — May 11, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

What a great idea! I’ve had avocado ON tuna sandwiches before, but I like the easy route of just mashing everything up together. Looks like this is what I’m having for lunch today!

Dana@TheSundaySweet — May 11, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

Avocado is better than mayo any day!

love,dana

come stop by and say hi. i have a great give away this week!

Kristel T.M. — May 11, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Genius! I never would have thought of this. I’m not a huge fan of mayo either, but I can eat avocados all day long! Can’t wait to try this. Thank you!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — May 11, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

I love both tuna and avocado but have never thought of combining them. Brilliant!

Christine — May 12, 2011 @ 11:21 am

thanks for the idea! you inspired my dinner – i didn’t have any grape tomatos so I just added salsa instead and served it over salad! awesome combo :) tuna and avocado might be a new favorite!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — May 12, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

OMG THIS sounds awesome. I’m going to have to try it. Usually I just make tuna with mayo and hot sauce but this is way better. Especially since I love avocado and tomatoes above all else. ps- so no raw tuna for you either then? What about Spicy tuna sushi?!

Kelly — June 9, 2011 @ 7:54 pm

I ate this for breakfast this morning, I might be slightly obsessed. It is absolutely amazing! It’s a new staple in my diet.

Lois — January 18, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Just had this for lunch at work on top of some seeded toasted bread. Best lunch I’ve had in AGES. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Avocado Tuna Tacos | Yeah…imma eat that.

4. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

6. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash. | Lifestyle Pins

7. Pingback: What happens when avocados are on sale « the not quite chef