I just made you the best pizza in the world.

Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze I howsweeteats.com

I know. I hate when people say that too.

But seriously? You look like you need it.

No offense or anything. It’s just that it’s the end of the first week of the new year. Like… stress city. You totally deserve pizza.

This pie is loaded with caramelized shallots (!), roasted red peppers (double !), tons of crispy bacon (!!!!!) and lots of cheeeeeeese. And my undying love, of course. Oh… and hunger.

I’m pretty sure my entire soul melted away with the fontina and parmesan as I took a bite. HO.LY.FLA.VOR.

I mean, I used to think that fontina was really good, and that bacon was incredible, and that roasted red peppers were super. But then… then I added a balsamic reduction on top and I’m pretty sure I died. Like I’m dead right now. I’m talking to you from the heavens. I hope. But maybe not. I have this little problem called gluttony… sooooo there’s that.

Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze

makes one pizza

dough: (my go-to recipe)

2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

In the bowl of your electric mixer with an attached dough hook, combine warm water, yeast, honey and oil and mix with a spoon. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until foamy, then add in flour and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, then turn to medium speed to knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. If it seems to sticky, add a bit more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.

Brush a separate bowl with olive oil, add dough, turning once, then set in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2-2 hours. Cover with a damp towel.

pizza:

2 slices thick-cut bacon

2 shallots, thinly sliced

2 roasted red peppers, cut into strips

1 tablespoons olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

6 ounces freshly grated fontina cheese

2 ounces freshly grated romano cheese + more for topping if desired

1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar

Right before dough is almost finished rising, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy and fat is rendered. Remove with a slotted spoon, then add shallots and stir to coat. Cook for about 10 minutes over low heat, or until shallots begin to caramelize. Set aside. While shallots are cooking, make sure that red peppers are patted dry (if from a jar). If you’d like to make your own roasted red peppers, see here.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Once pizza dough is ready to go, roll/press into desired shape and brush the surface with olive oil and top with minced garlic. Sprinkle on 4 ounces of fontina cheese, then top with shallots, red peppers, and bacon. Sprinkle remaining fontina and romano evenly on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbly.

While pizza is baking, heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to come to a boil, then let simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes until reduced to about 1/3-1/2 cup. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes to thicken. When pizza is finished baking, drizzle glaze on top and serve.

The only thing that could be better here is if that glaze was chocolate syrup. I know you thought so too.

137 Responses to “Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze.”

Heidi @ Food Doodles — January 6, 2012 @ 1:05 pm

This looks amazing! I totally think I need pizza. Soon! :D And that balsamic glaze looks incredible!

Kelly — January 6, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Wow this looks like the PERFECT pizza, delicious!! :)

J @ ... semplicemente j ... — January 6, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

I may just try your go to wheat dough recipe tonight … if hunger permits the 1 – 2 rise … :)

Stefanie — January 6, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I think you should make pizza every Friday! :) Thanks for this recipe. I have a stupid question–do you cut the bacon before cooking it, or do you just cut it up once it’s crispy? I guess it really doesn’t matter, but I think I’ll slice it up into 1/4 inch pieces before I put it in the skillet.

Sloan — January 6, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

So how exactly did you know that I had a block of fontina just waiting to be used?! Have you been sneaking into my place and peeking in my fridge? As long as you do not steal my bacon, that is OK. But the chocolate? Now that is a different story.

Kati — January 6, 2012 @ 1:47 pm

What size plate is that? 4in? 6in?

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

It’s about 4 1/2 inches.

Carissa — January 6, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

The balsamic glaze seriously does look like chocolate. Maybe if we pretend those red strips were Twizzlers & it had marshmallow frosting, this would taste like it’s dessert!

Susanne — January 6, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

This pizza sounds and looks amazing! I love fontina cheese on pizza. I’ve never tried balsamic though, I can’t wait to try it!

Rachel — January 6, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Yum. I have an Emile Henry pizza stone coming in the mail (as a belated Christmas gift to myself) and this will make the perfect inaugural pizza!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — January 6, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

I never see myself as a “pizza person”–I generally get a salad unless I’m truly in the mood for my stomach to declare greasy cheesy war on me later. But this rule tends to be broken for good, thin crust, rustic pizza with interesting toppings. Maybe I’m just a pizza snob. This would definitely be a pizza I’d risk it for :)

Stumbled upon your blog while looking for new foodie/cooking blogs to follow, and have added you to my reader. Happy New Year! :)

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Glad you found me!

Laura — January 6, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Um…this looks ammmmazing!!! I’ll have to make it on Sunday and have it while I watch the Broncos beat those Steelers!! :)

janetha — January 6, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

OH my. make me dinner. now. woman.

april — January 6, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

This is perfect for me to try out my new kitchen goodies I got for Christmas! My sweet mom gave me a new cast iron pizza pan & one of those wooden things you build your pizza on then slide it into the oven with ( my brain is at a lose for its. real name)

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

A pizza peel? I want one!

• april — January 6th, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

I’m super excited to use it!

Encore — January 6, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I want this in my belly, like, yesterday! It’s on like Donkey Kong with this pizza and soon! Happy New Year!

Cassie @ bake your day — January 6, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Balsamic glaze. I’m dying. There would be no sharing involved this were in front of me.

Aisha — January 6, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Omg, yum! So I tried making your pom balsamic glaze before but I could not stand the smell of it! Are you suppose to cover it while it’s reducing?

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

Wow really? It probably depends on the brand/type of vinegar, and your definitely don’t want to stand over top of it but other than that I can’t smell it at all. You definitely don’t want to cover it – maybe try a different brand of balsamic?

Zesty Cook — January 6, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I haven’t been able to perfect a whole wheat pizza crust, so I am all over this!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 6, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

This looks fantastic!! Balsamic glaze is something that I always try to make and end up burning. I did it right before a party once and my entire house smelled like burnt balsamic. If you are unfamiliar with that smell you are very lucky!

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

Oh no… I burnt it once. Terrible.

Chels R. — January 6, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

Oh….that looks Sooooo insanely delicious!!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — January 6, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

Sold entirely by the balsamic glaze! I swear it could make me eat cardboard!! (though I know your pizza tastes MUCH better!)

Rebecca — January 6, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks fabulous–except for those little roasted peppers. I just cannot eat roasted peppers, something about the texture totally turns me off (in fact, the only peppers I enjoy are raw). Do you have any suggestions/ideas for anything to replace them? The rest looks wonderful, the two cheeses, bacon and balsamic…yum!

• Jessica — January 6th, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Do you like peppers on pizza that aren’t roasted? You could always just add red peppers to the pizza – I find that they usually have some crunch left. Or maybe roasted tomatoes?

• Rebecca — January 8th, 2012 @ 12:44 am

I’m indifferent about peppers on pizza that aren’t pre-roasted, so that’s a definite possibility (the hubs loves them). I am, however, in love with roasted tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, etc….so that sounds delicious as well! Thanks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 6, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Yep – that definitely does look like the best pizza in the world. I will be making that … maybe tomorrow for supper!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — January 6, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

I need to get my pizza on… like right now.

Marty — January 6, 2012 @ 9:17 pm

Balsamic glaze is the best invention ever. It’s so flavorful and so simple to make. I made it the other day to top my mozzarella and tomato salad. On a pizza, however, sounds even better! Best thing about it, not a topping that adds calories, only flavor.

Erin Kidd — January 6, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

I just found your website and I am so happy that I did! I just moved into my own apartment and I am useless in the kitchen. Hopefully I will find something here to learn to cook :)

Becki's Whole Life — January 6, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Wow, yummy…what a great idea with the balsamic glaze!

Bailee Morris — January 6, 2012 @ 11:41 pm

This look fantastic!

Deborah — January 7, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

That balsamic glaze has stopped me dead in my tracks – YUM!

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth — January 7, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

This looks so incredibly delicious! I wish I had a piece for lunch right now! I love balsamic on anything and your crust looks relatively easy and quick to put together.

oregonjudy — January 7, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Add some black pepper and a touch of sugar to the balsamic glaze and try it over baked salmon…out of this world good.

Sasha — January 7, 2012 @ 3:50 pm

Great recipe! I dont have a dough attachment though, am I still able to make the dough?

Alyse — January 7, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Can’t wait to try it! But first I must buy yeast. My children used up all my yeast making donuts and bagels when they were here for Christmas.

LivedinItaly — January 7, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

Adding ingredients to the shopping list and adjusting menu for pizza Tuesday night. Just might add a little dark chocolate sauce at the end.

Kat — January 7, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

1 – I just drooled all over myself (my husband thinks I’m weird…I’m guessing you do too) 2 – you know my love for balsamic glaze and O M G that looks better than life

rebecca — January 9, 2012 @ 8:24 am

I made this pizza last night. A-mazing! I subbed the bacon for prosciutto that I crisped up in the frying pan (I somehow always have prosciutto on hand, never bacon, not sure what that says about my fridge…). The bites with all of the components were little flavor bombs!

Brenda — January 9, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

I made this for supper tonight and it was fabulous! I didn’t have Fontina cheese on hand and I don’t know what it tastes like, so I tried spreading a light smear of goat cheese all over the crust before adding the other toppings and it ROCKED! I used a whole head of roasted garlic and added it in large chunks. Can’t wait for leftovers tomorrow at lunch! My co-workers will be so jealous :)

jess — January 10, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

do you prefer Italian or Danish fontina?

Sarah — January 12, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

I made this a couple nights ago and OMG it was delicious. Except my balsamic glaze was a total fail, which was a bummer since that’s the single thing that drove me to make it in the first place. Still, just FYI for the future, this pizza is awesome even without the glaze! :)

Stefanie — January 12, 2012 @ 8:42 pm

I just made this and ate two slices. Delicious! My balsamic glaze was a total fail as well, but this pizza was still awesome. The combination of the shallots, bacon, peppers, and cheeses is amazing! :)

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — January 31, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

The balsamic glaze is a great idea!

Jill — March 14, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

Hey Jessica,
    Have you ever frozen this dough? I would love to double it and freeze half (and use half). I’ve done this with a regular pizza crust before

brooke — July 4, 2012 @ 7:51 am

this is delicious! so much flavor. thanks so much for sharing!!

Erin — July 24, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

This was delish! I tried it with heirloom tomatoes and received many compliments and recipe requests.

Two tweaks – I bought my crust, and my balsamic glaze. Works every time ;)

Kate Woods — October 7, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

I want to serve this tomorrow :( BUT i’m not going to have enough time to make the dough after work tomorrow. Do you think I can make the dough tonight, store it in the fridge, then take it out tomorrow and let it come to room temperature a bit before I make my pizza, would that work?

Emily — February 3, 2014 @ 11:56 pm

I am so in love with your pizza topping combinations and your go-to dough! I just posted over on my blog a favorite pizza of mine and linked to this page because I used your dough recipe! Hope you don’t mind :)

Thanks for creating amazing recipes and being such an inspiration to my blog!!!

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites!! « mommysmenu

2. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic … at Zapraszamy na pizzę farmerską!

3. Pingback: Meal Planning And A Book Review of Before I Fall Dina Runs

4. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | Galaxy Fitness Club's Blog

5. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | Westmoreland Athletic Club's Blog

6. Pingback: Fontina and Portabello Pizza « Cate's World Kitchen

7. Pingback: Have Your Pizza and Eat it too! Low Cal Red Pepper + Fontina Balsamic Pizza « Stylish Piggy

8. Pingback: of the moment {2.4.12} | The Daily Crumb

9. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red and Yellow Pepper Pizza | Yeah…imma eat that.

10. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Pizza « Midwestern Foodie

11. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Pizza « CityCooker

12. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pizza « Every Craving

13. Pingback: Homemade Grilled Zucchini Pizza | Blonde Ambition

14. Pingback: Sausage & Pepper Pizza « Blonde Ambition

15. Pingback: Grilled Chicken, Peach, Blackberry + Basil Pizza | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper Pizza with Fontina Cheese and Balsamic Glaze | espinosakitchen

17. Pingback: Tomato and Fontina Cheese Pizza | Grub with Love

18. Pingback: Roasted Red Pepper and Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | oh so decadent

19. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease