With some non-pizza like stuff.

If you are looking for a way to have pizza all to yourself, like with no male (especially a husband) touching it, even though you ADDED CHICKEN just because… then this is probably the route to go.

To make summer pizza, gather all sorts of summer things you love.

Fruit!

Herbs!

Fresh mozzarella because it seems healthier since it has the word “fresh” in it!

Chicken to add some protein and keep it light! Or to appease the severe carnivore in your life who will turn up their nose at this pizza anyway!

Whatever. It’s your pizza. Haters can’t get you down.

Layer all that junk on top of a whole wheat crust, because again… duuuuh, it’s summer. Where the clothes are skimpy and the sweat is pouring. Whole wheat just means you have an extra piece, don’t ever discard your crust, and no matter what ends up on top… its totally health food.

As a sidebar: I am definitely purchasing the Dawson’s Creek DVD set today. Can’t stop thinking about it. Getting it done.

You know what? I can say with absolute certainty that this is one of those pizzas my husband would order out at a restaurant… a nice little place with an outdoor seating area in the hot sun. Probably even add a girly mojito on the side. Strawberry or whatnot. And he’d own it. But when I made this pizza? Wouldn’t even touch it. Turned his nose up at it. Wanted “real food.” Um, hello? What is this? I guess you gotta be in the mood for chicken with peaches and berries and basil and cheese or something? Not I. I’m always in the mood for stuff like that. But I’m sort of always in the mood for everything.

Especially something on a crust that’s called pizza. So… make your own summer pizza. Different berries or stone fruits or herbs or whatever. I don’t know about adding vegetables on there, but I’m sure some of you crazies will do it… even at the expense of our relationship. Ugh. I guess that’s okay. I forgive you.

Grilled Chicken, Peach, Blackberry + Basil Pizza

makes 1 pizza

1 batch of pizza dough (I used half whole wheat flour + omitted the garlic flavoring)

1 sweet onion, sliced

1 tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon brown sugar

4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese

2 grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 ripe peach, thinly sliced

2/3 cups blackberries, coarsely chopped

10-15 basil leaves, chopped

8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced

Prepare dough as directed and while it’s rising, heat a large nonstick skillet over low heat and add butter and onions with a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in brown sugar and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove and set aside.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Shape dough as desired and top with garlic and olive oil. Add on the grated cheese, then top with the chicken, peaches, berries, basil and caramelized onions. Evenly place fresh mozzarella on top.  Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until cheese is melty and golden. Top with additional basil and finely grated parmesan if desired! It’s also delicious when topped with a balsamic glaze.

[Not doing so well with that exclamation point thing apparently.]

117 Responses to “Let’s Make Summer Pizza!”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 15, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Love your summer pizza! I made summer pizza with mango and pineapple and it was the best stuff ever. I need to try blackberries and peaches next!

Kelly — June 15, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

Write a book, k?

Must have something equally as or funnier than this to entertain me over the summer.

Cassie — June 15, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

LOVE the combination of toppings. This is brilliant.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — June 15, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

Haha I actlually found myself answering your title – YES, let’s make summer pizza! Now!

Ariel — June 15, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

Dawson’s Creek is on Netflix instant stream!!! I’m watching it all now and it is WONDERFUL.

janetha @ meals & moves — June 15, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHH yum.

Cookie and Kate — June 15, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

Tell your husband I’m gonna eat his slices! This pizza is inspiring, love it.

Bev Weidner — June 15, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

I’m just went blind at the glory.

Bev Weidner — June 15, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

WHICH IS OBVIOUS SINCE I’M USING WRONG WORDS.

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — June 15, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

1. I love that you put balsamic glaze on everything.
    2. Did you know that Netflix now streams Dawson’s Creek????

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition — June 15th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

OK someone else beat me to the Netflix thing. That’s okay. Balsamic glaze still rules.

Carissa — June 15, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Oooo I really want this. Right now, please! Except I’d leave off the chicken for sure. I’m just imagining the juicy berries oozing out with every bite. Yum!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 15, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

Love the flavors.

Kenzie — June 15, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

You’re one CRAZY person! :) Love the idea!

ellenbcookery — June 15, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

WOW! That looks so good. I’d never think to add fruit to a pizza. Summer Pizza? How creative!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — June 15, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Oh yeah, I am all over this! My husband would not come within 10 feet of it. If it does not have pepperoni and tomato based sauce, it is not pizza in his mind! But whatever, he is gone sometimes, or can have cereal :)

Kim in MD — June 15, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

I would love this, but my husband would not touch it with a ten foot pole! Does anybody even say that anymore? :-) This recipe and me, though? YUM!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 15, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

Aaahhh, I just watched all of Dawson’s Creek for the first time. Am I the only one who finds his hair and general style in Season 1 particularly offensive? I felt like every single one of his outfits were cornea searing. Aaanndd Pacey is the best!

Fallon — June 15, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

That looks delicious!! What a great mix of flavors.

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — June 15, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

It’s almost like dessert pizza – love it!

Quiche-ing Queen — June 15, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

This looks so delicious. The combination of flavors sound amazing.

Hannah — June 16, 2012 @ 5:14 am

I finally bulked up and watched the last episode of Daws . I may have cried hysterically when a certain couple finally got together and that grosso was left in the dust. I’ve now continued to rematch any pacey and Joey episode c

morristownmemos — June 16, 2012 @ 7:36 am

The word PIZZA is both an attraction and a disappointment, especially to snarky husbands. Maybe if you called it a big summer cookie or berry boom or torte tease the men would be more attentive…(?)

HeatherChristo — June 16, 2012 @ 10:09 am

I think that this pizza is gorgeous! I love turning fruit fruit savory. You are such the innovator!

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — June 16, 2012 @ 11:30 am

I just posted a panini with very similar ingredients! I love the combination of peach, balsamic glaze, and basil. I used bacon so I could I consider it a “breakfast” panini, but you better believe I will be giving this pizza a try with the grilled chicken.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 16, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

oh my gosh that looks absolutely amazing!! thanks for sharing!

Alfie — June 16, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I love this combination of ingredients, it looks amazing and so perfect for summer. Definitely trying this soon!

Jen @ Savory Simple — June 16, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I firmly believe that fruit makes everything better! This looks fab.

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — June 16, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

Holy wow. This just found its way onto my menu planner. Can’t wait to try it out.

Emma — June 16, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

Looks amazing. Looking forward to trying it.

Kiki — June 16, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

Um. This looks amaziiiing. When I’m back on starches (less than two weeks to go!!!) I am making this. Fruit + pizza = wining.

Robert Dolan — June 16, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

Mushrooms don’t count as a vegetable, do they?

Jenny @ BAKE — June 17, 2012 @ 6:21 am

I LOVE this idea!! I am going to have to try it! even the boyfriend seems intrigued

Ste — June 17, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Wow this is a summer fruit pizza… never tried one pizza with fruit I have to, thanks for the recipe ! Great blog , Ste from Italy

JulieD — June 17, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

Looks amazing!! Wish we were neighbors so I could be your taste tester!!!!

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — June 17, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

I’ll take fruit & cheese on pretty much anything! Sounds good to me!

Amy — June 18, 2012 @ 12:05 am

Oh my goodness, I just stumbled across this through
    Pintrest and I must say….I LOVE YOU lol!!!!
    I so enjoy making weird things for my guy, mostly
    He thinks I’m weird. But to top it off, I just started
    Watching Dawson’s Creek reruns and I love that show :-)

idiosyncratic eye — June 18, 2012 @ 3:29 am

Well that’s different for sure, even I hadn’t dreamt of putting fruits on my pizza really. And I think my husband’s reaction would be the same. Real food, what do you think went into this?! But as for the peaches I think I’ve seen them on a pizza before, or the Alsace equivalent. I’d grill them too, make them soft and sweet. :)

Ronda — June 18, 2012 @ 8:18 am

I love this, I just made a pizza recently with avocados, basil & strawberries. So good and fresh it tasted like summer. I make fruit pizza all the time as dessert with some chocolate on puff pastry it is the most awesome thing ever!! And I can’t wait for more Pacey references with you owning Dawson’s Creek now.

Elinor — June 18, 2012 @ 9:03 am

Just want to let you know I purchased the Dawson’s Creek entire DVD series set a few months ago because you blogged about it one day — it was $27 and worth every penny!!!!!!!! it’s soooo good and sooo bad at the same time. you almost can’t even watch the pilot episode.

Alysa (InspiredRD) — June 18, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Love this combo! Saturday night, I made one (with an Udi’s crust) with chicken apple sausage, apple slices, goat cheese, mushrooms and sage. Yum!

Simone — June 18, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Made this on Saturday night for me and my best friend. I was so nervous as to how it was going to taste and it was AMAZING. We both were oohing and ahhing over it. I also ate it for breakfast on Sunday. And dinner on Sunday…so dangerous :]

christina @ ovenadventures — June 18, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

i think you are the only person who loves DC as much as I do. Did you get the set yet? I have like 50 episodes on my PVR and Mr. keeps asking if he can delete them? Then I just stare at him like he has 2 heads and he gets the point. I need me some Pacey, Joey, Jen, Jack in my life.

Natalie — June 18, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

This sounds so amazingly delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 21, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

Wow… Love the combination of flavors on that pizza. I definitely have to give it a try!

Samantha — July 4, 2012 @ 8:58 am

I’m basing my entire day off of this quote

“Whatever. It’s your pizza. Haters can’t get you down.”

That is amazing. AND I love that you say “junk” in your recipe blog. I literally look forward to your emails every Tuesday. I’m sure all the foodies will agree that your blog makes the day better. However far this takes you, please don’t ever change the way you are

Shannon — July 24, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

I have made so many recipes on your site, and all have been AMAZING. And I cannot wait to make this…looks delish!

Kelsey K. — January 23, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

I’m pretty sure I just drooled on my computer. Can it be summer yet?!

eatwelltraveloftenblog.blogspot.com

tahsin, the good — February 8, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

i love this! its beautiful to look at and delicious to eat!!

1. Pingback: Menu Planning « Working With What You Have

2. Pingback: June 18 to July 1 Menu Plan « Working With What You Have

3. Pingback: 6/18-6/24 Menu Recap + Next Week’s Plan « Working With What You Have

4. Pingback: Summer Pizza « A Tasty Life

5. Pingback: summery pizza | Kazaiah

6. Pingback: new recipes! summatime pizza + black bean burgers | moderato con gusto

7. Pingback: My Favorite Pinterest Recipes | Papers and Pennies

8. Pingback: Grilled Chicken, Peach, Blackberry & Basil Pizza « Working With What You Have

9. Pingback: 13 Things I Found on the Internet Today (Volume V) | Messy Nessy ChicMessy Nessy Chic

10. Pingback: THE MASHUP / SHERBET, ORANGE | tahsin, the good.

11. Pingback: Weekly Newsletter 07-23-13 | theveggiebin