I’m sure you have noooo Halloween candy left, right?

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Like, none. You probably didn’t eat any last night either. And you probably, most definitely didn’t have to open up a bulk-sized box of the big candy bars for the last little straggler trick o’ treating at 7:59 PM

Nope. Not at all. Those sort of things just happen to me, the chocolate/candy/food addict.

Since you probably stuffed yourself with greens and salad and kale and lemons and no junk food yesterday, you can totally eat pizza today.

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

But wait. Before I tell you about that. Let’s talk about these trick or treaters. Um, since when did kids stop dressing up? Since when was it acceptable to wear a sweatshirt and jeans with a “scary” mask? Since when was it acceptable to wear a sweatshirt, jeans and a “scary” mask and just walk to the door with a scowl on your face? Since when was it acceptable to wear a sweatshirt, jeans and a “scary” mask, just walk to the door with a scowl on your face, grab THREE giant candy bars, then walk away without even uttering a “thank you!” or “happy halloween!” or “trick or treat!” or “hey, we heard you and your husband screaming at each other over the waffle maker on Saturday. You’re weird.”

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

What is up? Some kids didn’t even wear a costume. In those cases, I just wanted to sit on the stoop of my front porch chewing a Snickers and manage to say, “oops, I ate it all! But since you’re dressed as someone who can clean my kitchen, please come inside.”

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Oooooh, also? Let me apologize in advance for the 500 recipes this week that will have sage thrown on top of them. If you don’t like it, don’t add it. Simple as that.

And yes, I’m sure I can magically find a way to fit 500 recipes into three more days. Don’t roll your eyes.

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Anyhoo.

A few weeks ago a reader, Karia, emailed me an idea for an apple sausage pizza. I sort of have a “thing” for sausage… that “thing” being a major gag reflex anytime fennel seeds come near my face. So naturally, I added bacon. The food of the… blogger that lives in this house.

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

This is one pizza I will not forget. It’s light and thin-crusted, with not one, but two layers of slenderly sliced apples, caramelized onions, piles of gouda cheese and crispy, crunchy bacon squares. Total flavor explosion. Total pizza demolition.

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza

serves 2-4

dough (this is my go-to dough)

2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast

3/4 cup warm water

1 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt

In the bowl of your electric mixer with an attached dough hook, combine warm water, yeast, honey and oil and mix with a spoon. Let sit for 10-15 minutes until foamy, then add in flour and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, then turn to medium speed to knead the dough for 5-6 minutes. If it seems to sticky, add a bit more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.

Brush a separate bowl with olive oil, add dough, turning once, then set in a warm place to rise for 1 1/2-2 hours. Cover with a towel.

pizza

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 large apple, very thinly sliced

5 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into squares

1 small red onion, sliced

1 garlic clove, minced

1 cup freshly grated gouda cheese

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

8-10 sage leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

15 minutes for dough is ready to use, slice onions. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, then add onions with a sprinkle of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, soft and juicy. In the last minute, add garlic and cook for 60 seconds, then set aside off heat. While onions are cooking, cut bacon. Place on a paper-towel lined plate, and cover with another paper towel. Microwave for 3-4 minutes, just until the fat is rendered so the pizza is not incredible greasy. Set aside.

Remove pizza dough from the bowl and throw on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, roll and shape it into your desired shape. I love making it into a rustic rectangle like above, but a circle works too. Brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with nutmeg. Slice apples (do not do this earlier unless you don’t mind brown apples), then add about 1/4 cup cheese onto the dough. Place a layer of apples on the cheese, then add the onions and garlic. Add the remaining cheese evenly over top, then finish with bacon and another layer of apples. Add a few pieces of sage if desired.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Tomorrow I’m going to show you what to do with all of your leftover candy instead of, you know… making yourself sick with it. Well, at least I think I am. I may eat it all first.

194 Responses to “Whole Wheat Autumn Apple Pizza.”

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — November 1, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

Kids with no costume get 1 piece of candy. Kids with costume get a handful. I must pass it all out or I will eat it all. :)

Kelly — November 1, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

That pizza sounds wonderful. I love apples and cheese….actually I love fall. Or well the idea of fall since I am still in shorts, flip flops and tank tops. I am not amused. I am definitely not asking for snow here but getting out of the 90′s in (now) November just doesn’t seem like too much to ask!

As for trick or treaters…I blame parents. My parents would have NEVER let me do that. Thankfully last night we only got really young children all in adorable costumes. My favorite was a little boy dressed up as Thomas The Train and he said “thank you” about 50 times to me. His mom laughed and said they had been practicing. It was adorable.

Tina@mylifeasamrs — November 1, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

holy moly. I need this for dinner… seriously.

Becca — November 1, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

this one time. my roommate and i thought a package of “Blueberry Apple Cinnamon Spicy Sausage” sounded like heaven at whole foods. we decided to try it by itself and just cooked it through, i think with some scrambled eggs on the side.
    Sickest sausage I’ve ever had. Maybe apples go with sausage…but blueberries do NOT.
    BUT- Can bacon go with blueberries???

Christine — November 1, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Holy yum! The other night as I was falling asleep I was trying to figure out how to put apples on a pizza without the hubs noticing. My local brewpub uses bacon and blue cheese which is delicious too but you get bonus points for making this feel and look healthy.

Chrissy — November 1, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

I’ve never lived anywhere where we got trick-or-treaters, but I always wanted to. Now I am not so sure. I’m not afraid of little boogerheads, nor am I even particularly fond of them. I would take PLEASURE in telling the ones without costume to get lost.

sara — November 1, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

OMG, this looks SO good. Definitely making this. I love fruit on savory pizzas! And once you mentioned the gouda…I was totally sold! :)

Anita — November 1, 2011 @ 9:12 pm

I’m totally pinning this. RIGHT. NOW. Because Bacon is my love. No wait, gouda is my love. Except for caramelized onions which should be on EV-RY-THING.

Katie — November 1, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

I make pizza once a week, and am always SO excited to have new ideas. Apples??! On a pizza?! Yesssssss.

TheChangingHouse — November 1, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Wow, that pizza looks delicious! Yum, yum!
    And I can totally relate with the trick-or-treaters! We had similar observations last night!

Evin — November 1, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

Delectable. And I commend your (not-ruthless-enough) commentary on costuming and halloween. But mostly, I wanted to say that you have a really great sense of food styling. All the pictures are appetizing and beautiful, especially the one with the pizza cutter. Good job! And again, yum!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — November 1, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Yeah that’s just plain genius. I know if I made it it wouldn’t look so amazing but that doesn’t really seem to make me want to stop…..

Mary W — November 1, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

This looks awesome! And you throw as much sage my way as you can – I have plenty! :-) ps. made your Butternut Squash and Sweet potato lasagna this weekend and I totally loved it – can’t wait to make it again! thanks for the great recipes.

Deborah — November 2, 2011 @ 12:03 am

I don’t think I would have ever thought to put apples on a pizza, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get this out of my head until I make it!!

Jill — November 2, 2011 @ 12:31 am

Ugh! I know what you mean about the non-dressed up teenage trick-or-treaters!! This is our first Halloween in our new house and we had so many older kids come to our door with no costumes at all (not even a dumb mask!!) I totally only gave them only one piece of fun-size candy-that’ll show them! The pizza looks delicious!-if only I could get my carnivore husband to eat apples on pizza *sigh*

Maria@Crispy's Cafe — November 2, 2011 @ 1:57 am

This pizza has fruit on it, it’s healthy. So, uh, I’ll just be taking the whole thing now….

CouponClippingCook — November 2, 2011 @ 2:11 am

Bacon, apples and whole wheat flour….this is downright health food. Looks delicious!!

Sonnet Gal — November 2, 2011 @ 7:11 am

This pizza looks incredible!! but….you gotta give us a recipe for the fried mac and cheese! I just about passed out when I read that someone came up with a combo of 2 of my favorite things.

• Jessica — November 2nd, 2011 @ 9:08 am

I’m not positive if I will make it or not, but I can email you the recipe if you want?

• Sonnet Gal — November 2nd, 2011 @ 9:22 am

yes, please! sounds like a good twist for our thanksgiving mac-n-cheese this year!

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — November 2, 2011 @ 7:15 am

I love the pizza! That would be so good!! I’m not good with pizza dough, so I am going to try your recipe,however could you make it in advance and have it the next day? I want your pizza for dinner, but I don’t have enough time for the rise to make it when I get home from work.

I saw you are on the guest speaker list at the Foodbuzz Festival this weekend! Thats awesome! I wish I could go, but it’s for invites and sponsors only. I would of loved to see Tyler Florence cook, he’s my favorite, not to mention so cute!!

Kat @ living like the kings — November 2, 2011 @ 8:35 am

That seriously looks like heaven.

Gayle215 — November 2, 2011 @ 9:13 am

You crack me up. That pizza looks fantastic. Maybe I will make it, but I’d rather someone else do it and just serve it up to me. I totally agree with your halloween observations. Our neighborhood was so lame. I used to see costumes worthy of a cute photograph, but not this year. I’m left with a whole bowl of mini milk duds & rollo candies. Any ideas?

Jaan — November 2, 2011 @ 9:16 am

The pizza looks perfect, even thou I will have to exchange pork for chicken/turkey processed products. NOW, could you give some pointers on getting an almost 11yr old boy and his crusty father to eat this? Hints or tips, I need them.

Lucie (Thursday Night Dinner) — November 2, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Such an original idea! i love the use of the apples, such a great fall ingredient and I love finding new different ways to utilize the ingredient in other ways other than desert!

Sarah — November 2, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

Made this last night after reading your post…verryyyy good :-) Love the blog!

Nisrene — November 2, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

I have literally been having the biggest craving for bacon…but that makes it sound like bacon is a rare thing to eat, which it is SO not. I now have every reason to consume an excessive amount of delicious fat thanks to you and this recipe, my jeans however hate me

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — November 2, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

Mmm, I love making homemade pizza. This seems like a fun way to switch things up for Autumn.

Ashley @ Spite or Flight — November 2, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Uhh, that looks AMAZING. I’ve never made homemade pizza before, but you’ve inspired me to try it. Also, I’m pinning this, immediately.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 3, 2011 @ 1:00 am

That pizza looks incredible girl!!!! I love apples on pizza – they are great with pulled pork, but, I haven’t had them with bacon! I am excited to try this.

Kelly — November 3, 2011 @ 11:57 am

This pizza looks and sounds beyond delicious!!!!! Must make and eat ASAP!

Holly — November 3, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Making this TONIGHT! Just went & bought all of the ingredients…but silly me forgot the main ingredient..pizza dough. Oh geez! BUT then I remembered that I have a loaf of French bread in the freezer..so I think I’ll try it on French bread, I figured I can’t go wrong..the more bread the better :D

Calli McGann — November 4, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

YUMMY! I used a mandolin to slice the apples so they were super thin-DELISH! I even got the hubby to help make it. Why microwave the bacon? Skillet bacon seemed better…although more time consuming

ashleigh falkin @ simplehonestreal.blogspot.com — November 5, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

That looks amazing! You have really beautiful photos!

Melanie — November 6, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

Made this pizza today! I used pre-made pizza dough but it still counts, right…? It was delicious! The sage was a great idea and the cheeses worked so well together!

Dominic — November 7, 2011 @ 6:40 am

What a recipe! I have been looking for ideas to use the apples we see all over the market at the moment. This recipe is a winner! I made it for my home syndicate meeting. I had great feedback. I used Cortland apples. Mine did not have bacon or sage and it did not feel that anything was missing. Although I am sure both ingredients are great additions. I put the oven on 425F as I worried 375F was not enough for pizza. It went perfectly.
    I am definitely tweeting about this recipe. Thank you.

Foodiewife — November 13, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

I have a lot of Gouda that we bought at our favorite place that makes it. Found a sale on organic Fuji apples. Check. Applewood Smoked Thick Cut Bacon always in our fridge. Grow our own sage. Check. Cupboard full of King Arthur Flour. Check. Pizza Stone. Check. Drooling all over your photos, this very pizza. It’s in the oven right now. Will post it on my blog soon, and will absolutely and definitely give you the kudos you deserve. PS: I sat in the front row of your panel discussion at Foodbuzz. I almost walked up to tell you how insanely good one of your cupcake recipes was to make. But, your fan base was more aggressive that I am. It was nice to see you, in person, and I can hear your voice when I read your posts. I always read every word. Love your wit and gift for recipe development!

• Jessica — November 13th, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Thank you so much! I really, really wish we could have met! Thank you so much for coming to that panel and especially reading here. Means so much to me, truly.

Everyday Art — January 10, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight and it was positively fabulous! Love your mix of healthy and delicious food–I find myself pinning about every one of them–and making a few of them as well. :) Also tried your butternut-stuffed shells, TO DIE FOR. Many thanks.
    Jaime

Tracy — July 19, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Hi

I often see you post that you have blog crushes, well you are defiantly mine. I made this Pizza last night and it was awesome. Keep doing what your doing!!!

Tracy

1. Pingback: Pumpkin french toast « On A Pink Typewriter

2. Pingback: A Fresh take on Pizza and Chips «

3. Pingback: Apple and Bacon Pizza | The Hoot Eats

4. Pingback: Apple and Squash Pizza

5. Pingback: allison lehman : show + tell / Daily Occurrences

6. Pingback: My Take On… « 321delish

7. Pingback: Whole Wheat Autumn Pizza « Eat Love Repeat

8. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze. | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Yum! » Share Food, Love Food » whole wheat roasted red pepper + fontina pizza with balsamic glaze.

10. Pingback: Pizza Recipe: Autumn Apple Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust | Pizza Recipes

11. Pingback: Apple, Bacon, and Gouda Pizza « mommysmenu

12. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | Galaxy Fitness Club's Blog

13. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Fontina Pizza with Balsamic Glaze | Westmoreland Athletic Club's Blog

14. Pingback: Get-R-Done! | Spinach and Sprinkles

15. Pingback: Whole Wheat Roasted Red Pepper + Mozzarella Pizza | clueless nutrition

16. Pingback: Garlic Bread Pizza Crust | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Bacon, Egg + Asparagus Personal Pizzas | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: 'Zombie Candy' by Fredrick Lee Brooke - Zombie Candy Pizza by Me | Cabin Goddess

19. Pingback: See Ya, 2011. | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Fall favorites 2012 « soundZtastee

21. Pingback: Butternut Squash & Bacon Pizza « Market Blog

22. Pingback: Three perfect autumn pizzas | Gerhards Appliances Cooking Corner

23. Pingback: Three perfect autumn pizzas | Gerhard's Appliances Buyers Guide

24. Pingback: Apple, Bacon & Gouda Pizza | Flying on Jess Fuel

25. Pingback: Grain-Free Recipes | Be Up & Doing

26. Pingback: 6 Foods to Spice Up Holiday Sex and Friday’s Q&A: What if I Don’t Feel Forgiving Toward My Husband? « Becoming His Eve

27. Pingback: Garlic pizza crust | recipepins.tk

28. Pingback: Homemade Pizza Dough | oh so decadent

29. Pingback: Mother’s Day Weekend in Photos | Blonde Ambition

30. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pizza on a Garlic Bread Crust | Pink Recipe Box

31. Pingback: 28 Ways To Eat Apples This Fall | TokNok Multi Social Blogging Solutions

32. Pingback: 28 Ways To Eat Apples This Fall - Informant Daily

33. Pingback: Caramelized Pear, Prosciutto + Blue Cheese Pizza | How Sweet It Is

34. Pingback: Roasted Beet, Kale, and Goat Cheese Pizza

35. Pingback: Autumn Apple Pizza with Gouda + Bacon + Caramelized Onion | Peonies and Pomegranates

36. Pingback: THANKSGIVING RECIPES | Pies, Tarts + Galettes | Atelier Christine