I wish I could make this for like… everyone I love.

I want to make it for you, pretty girl at yoga, who I want to be my friend even though every time you try and talk to me before class I just smile, nod and look away because I’m a closeted shy weirdo. Especially when wearing spandex.

Derek Hough… you look like you could use some beer risotto. Then you can teach me how to dance! P.S. I like the lack thereof outfits that you wear.

Oh and Mr. butcher at the grocery store? I know you see me nearly every freaking day since I can’t get my act together and follow a shopping list, and you smile at me like you recognize me although you probably just feel bad for me since I come in sweaty, in the same workout clothes almost each time.. and even if you sort of (okay, majorly) creep me out, I want to make this for you since you’re probably sick of chopping meat all day. But I think I’ll just deliver it to you and and run away.

I’m dyyyying to make it for my major girlcrush Miranda Lambert so we can have a girl’s night of cooking, getting drunk, making our hair real big and slashing the tires of jerky boys. Even if I do want to steal her man.

Husband… ? I miiiiight have only made you this because I feel an extreme shopping spree coming up that I will not be able to work myself out of. Hand over the plastic pleeeeeease. {Sorry about that whole Derek thing.}

To the entire Sports Illustrated swimsuit model clan… I’d really love to make this for you so I can feel better about myself. And so we can be tight BFFs.

Oh… but man at the gym who won’t stop talking for even 30 seconds and grunts like your life is ending while lifting 7-pound dumbbells? I don’t want to make this for you. Ever.

And clearly, “everyone” includes YOU… even if you can’t buy me 4 pairs of shoes or do my grocery shopping or dance with me in real life. You’re obviously my first choice. Because I liiiiiike you. And beer! I like beer.

Even if you don’t like beer, the flavor is so mild that you can probably enjoy this too. Plus the whole crispy chicken with more beer with caramely mushrooms and shallots and stuff? Yeah. I even forgive you for that whole not liking beer thing.

Beer Risotto with Mushroom Garlic Chicken

serves 4

4 split chicken breasts (thighs would work well too)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 large shallot, thinly sliced

2 cups sliced mushrooms

6 cloves of garlic

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes

8 ounces of beer

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pat chicken completely dry with a paper towel, then season with salt and pepper.

Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add canola oil. Add chicken skin-side down and sear until golden brown – about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in mushrooms, shallot and garlic, then pour in beer. Top with cubed butter. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes, the place in the oven for 30 minutes. Toss the mushrooms and shallots mix twice during cooking time.

for risotto:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 1/2 cups arborio rice

12- 16 ounces of beer, depending on how strong your beer is

1 3/4-2 cups low-sodium chicken stock

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

While chicken is cooking, heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in olive oil and butter, then add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add in rice and stir to coat completely, then cook until opaque, about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in beer and stir every minute or so until the rice soaks up the liquid. Add in chicken stock and continue stirring until absorbed. At this point my rice had enough liquid, so do a taste test and if it is still super chewy, add a little more liquid and stir until absorbed. Repeat until desired consistency is reached. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper.

Serve with risotto on the bottom, chicken on top, and a ladleful of mushrooms and onions.

For the fattest of Tuesdays, it would be an excellent idea if you combined this meal with some margaritas and cupcakes. I dunno, it just sounds good. Don’t shoot the messenger.

98 Responses to “Beer Risotto with Mushroom Garlic Chicken.”

Julia — February 21, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

OH. my. god. I’ve been looking for a risotto recipe like this for the longest time. Most recipes I come across are either too plain or, don’t have beer in them! hehe. YUM.

Brianne — February 21, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

I love risotto, and this sounds like a great new idea. Perfect for a date night in with the hubby. It is getting added to my list!

Jill Mant~a SaucyCook — February 21, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

What a fabulous recipe…..the Brit will love me forever if I make this, most certainly. Sorry about your butcher, have you considered switching markets? Love your photo’s and your writing. Cheers!

Chris — February 21, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Beer Rissotto? ARE YOU KIDDING ME! That sounds perfect for these cold winter nights we’ve been having up here in Vermont.

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — February 21, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

Ugh make this for ME!! I could eat sauteed mushrooms for breakfast lunch and dinner but my husband HATES them because one time he got really sick, and I won’t get into details, when his mom forced him to eat mushroom soup when he was little. Since then, he’s been scarred. the poor guy. You and I though, we could get along nicely with some mushroom chicken.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — February 21, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

This looks amazing! I’m considering making this for my boyfriend when he gets in town next wk, although he doesn’t love ‘shrooms (he’s crazy, obviously)… any ideas for something besides those to add in?

Quiche-ing Queen — February 21, 2012 @ 8:14 pm

Yes please! Make this for me! This looks so delicious.

Caitlin @ Cake with Love — February 21, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

Mushrooms, caramelized onions, risotto and chicken, what can be more comforting? your recipes are always mouth watering!

Kristen — February 21, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

This looks like pretty much the most amazing chicken dish, ever. Yum yum yum!

CouponClippingCook — February 22, 2012 @ 3:05 am

The chicken looks so good…so does everything else in this dish!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 22, 2012 @ 4:24 am

I’m not the biggest beer fan but I just might have to try this!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 22, 2012 @ 6:46 am

I really need to make risotto this weekend….

OriginalAppleJunkie — February 22, 2012 @ 9:01 am

You are awesome..
    Your writing style is incredible and this recipe is so amazing I didn’t even realise I was drooling *blushes*

Donna — February 22, 2012 @ 9:43 am

There is not one member of my family alive who will not find total gustatory nirvana in this recipe ..this of course includes myself…I’ve made many a white wine risotto…but the beer paired with the carmelized onions et al… shreeks..”bingo”….

I have just recently discovered your blog…subscribed as “a follower”…(sounds “cult-ish”!!)…and declare your blog as the absolutely most hysterical…well-written one…Please keep your vignettes/reflections coming …we already profit from your culinary prowess…Bravo!

Tandi — February 22, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Ok, it’s very important to me that you know a few things:
    1–I love beer.
    2–I love risotto…love actually isn’t a strong enough word. Maybe worship is better?
    3–I love mushrooms (especially with risotto).
    4–Miranda Lambert is my girl crush and I want to steal her man, too! I have turned up my Miranda Lambert playlist while I’ve cooked in my kitchen EVERY EVENING (and even some mornings, if I’m being honest) for the past two month. My husband thinks I have a problem but he has a crush on her too, so I think it’s ok.

Mia — February 22, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Any thoughts on type of beer to use? I’m not a huge beer drinker (I like Blue Moon…and Bud Light. I’ve been known to drink a Guinness in March and a 40 on July 4th)…I really have no idea what to put in this recipe, but I know I will be making it for the “boy I date.” I’m really trying to make him the “boy I married.” Thanks for your help! :-D

Mrs. Kinne — February 22, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

My husband would love this! And, I would love to hang out with Miranda Lambert, too. I love singing along with her songs, because they make me feel more b.a. than I actually am.

Eboni — February 22, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

ummm, pardon me while I drool for a minute.

Danni — February 23, 2012 @ 4:28 am

Beer Risotto?! If you weren’t already married then I’m sure this would get you a man! I’m going to make this next time there’s a big football (soccer) game on for my husband ‘and the lads’ (as we say in the UK) – thanks!

Geri — February 23, 2012 @ 8:55 am

oh my gosh we made this on tuesday and it was SO GOOD. really some of the best risotto i’ve ever had. my husband couldn’t stop eating it. THANK YOU!

Vera — February 23, 2012 @ 9:00 am

I love making risotto, and am surprised by how dry yours looks. I had to read the recipe to make sure that it wasn’t just rice. A proper risotto should have enough of a liquid consistency to spread on a plate, but not be runny. Never seen one look so parched. The most common liquid/rice ratio is 4:1, which you are well shy of.

Jen — February 23, 2012 @ 11:49 am

Made this for dinner last night. Loved it! Am about to heat the leftovers for lunch and can’t wait. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Adele — February 23, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

HAHA this is your funniest post ever. i feel the same way talking to people at yoga while wearing spandex…although i also teach yoga so i have also HAVE to talk to people while wearing spandex for my job….yikes. LOL

Jamie L — February 26, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

Made this tonight!!! Oh my gosh, so flipping good. One of the best meals we’ve had in a long time. Love your blog!!

Jackie — February 26, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

made this for sunday dinner everyone loved it!!
    tks for so many great recipes every i made from your site is fantastic!!

Courtney @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. — February 27, 2012 @ 11:03 am

I just freaked out a little bit. Beer risotto??? It’s too much…I can’t…gah!

penny — February 27, 2012 @ 11:20 am

I made this last night for dinner for my husband and son. Couldn’t believe how delicious it was!! Will definitely be making this again.

Heather — February 27, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

I made this tonight and OMG!!! It’s fabulous. My kids love it! Thank you!

Kelli — February 28, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

So, I saw this link off to the side after reading “Tuesday’s Things” and my mouth immediately started watering. I was completely ready to change tonight’s dinner menu of taco’s to this lovely dish but upon reading the ingredients, I saw that you used butter. Alas, I gave up butter for Lent! :o( So, I guess I’ll be making this April 7th.

Kerri — February 29, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

This was so good last night especially since I purposely left the recipe on the counter with all of the ingredients in the refrigerator and went to get my hair cut after work. Then I texted my husband and asked him if he would start dinner ;) By the time I got home the risotto was almost done and the chicken was cooked perfectly in the oven. Delightful, we used the juice from the chicken to pour over the risotto and chicken, super moist!

Kaleigh — February 29, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

you are hilarious. I do the same thing with people I think are cool and want to be friends with, but I’m too much of a doofus to actually say words that convey those thoughts. Spandex only compounds awkwardness.
    Must make beer risotto!!

Jackie — March 4, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Tried this on friday. The rice was excellent, but we used bone in chicken and it needed much longer to cook, so the timing was a bit off- very tasty once we got to it though!

Beer of the Month Club — May 25, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Great stuff!! We recommend using ofTheMonthShop.com for more research on of the month clubs.

Hollie — May 30, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

What kind of beer would you recommend? I’m thinking an ale…

Gwyn M — January 21, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Oh my heavens, this was DELICIOUS!!!! I love risotto and kept thinking I would jazz it up a bit, but after reading the rave reviews, I stuck strictly to the recipe and am SO glad I did! Your recipes are great and your blog is so much fun!

Nolan Dawdy — April 21, 2013 @ 4:21 am

The earliest known chemical evidence of barley beer dates to circa 3500–3100 BC from the site of Godin Tepe in the Zagros Mountains of western Iran…

Our personal internet site

1. Pingback: Beer Risotto with Mushroom Garlic Chicken | How Sweet It Is | Organic Rapeseed Oil

2. Pingback: BBQ Salmon Burgers | How Sweet It Is