Roses are red… violets are blue… I made you cupcakes that I hope you will chew.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Yes yes yes.

And yes.

Sooooo it’s supposedly the most romantic day of the year and stuff and I can’t think of anything more romantic than face planting into a pile of that frosting with the one you love.

And since I really love YOU, I had to share something uber romantic. Piles of chocolate frosting for the win.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Surprise! You’re my valentine. Isn’t that cool?

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

I mean, technically I already HAVE a valentine but he can be weird and not want to eat chocolate lover’s cupcakes and also spends a fair amount of time hoping to perfect Ric Flair’s shin breaker and carries a tattered picture of Conway Twitty in his wallet.

Yeeeeeah.

Okay not really, but I swear that is exactly what he’s like in real life. And this is my… real life. Luckily he redeems himself quite often by surprising me with chocolate lava cake truffles. That’s nice.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Not sure if you know this, but I’m a chocolate fanatic. No, really. REALLY. I am not exaggerating in the least when I say that I could eat chocolate for every waking moment of my life. I do not wake up craving eggs or oatmeal or waffles or any baloney like that. I wake up wanting chocolate. I want truffles for lunch. I want Godiva mousse cheesecake for dinner. And only then, after all that, do I want dessert. GOOD dessert.

It’s not the sugar I want… give me cake or candy or ice cream and I’ll easily win that staring contest. It’s the creamy dreamy cocoa. Obviously these cupcakes make my head spin.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

I wish I could give you five thousand of them every single day for the rest of your life. Because I like you LIKE THAT.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes

[adapted from peanut butter hot fudge cupcakes]

makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/8 cups all purpose flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 cup fat-free milk

3 tablespoons heavy cream

1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled

2 tablespoons sour cream

2/3 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add milk, cream and vanilla, and mix until combined. Stir in sour cream. Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture. Mix until batter is smooth. Add in melted butter and stir until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

3 8-ounce blocks of cold cream cheese

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

2 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, melted and cooled

1 tablespoons vanilla extract

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and add cocoa powder, increasing the speed to mix. Add in melted chocolate. If the frosting it a bit too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.  If it is too thin, add additional sugar gradually. Frost cupcakes once cooled. Top with chocolate sprinkles, shaved chocolate, chocolate bars, etc.

Note: as you can see I used a TON of frosting on my cupcakes. I had about 1/2 cup of frosting left over, so if you plan to use less frosting (i.e. you are going to spread it on with a spatula or use a tiny blob), then cut this recipe in half.

Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes I howsweeteats.com

Ooompf.

241 Responses to “Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes.”

Shareeza Mungroo — February 22, 2012 @ 6:36 am

Can i have the recipe in metric PLEEAASE?!

• petite.cherie501 — February 25th, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

weight or volume? believe there are several translators/calculators online that will do this very easily. sorry, my brain isn’t working this early to do it in this post.

MANDY — February 23, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Just made these… OMG amazing!!! Love your blog!!!

Wendi — February 26, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

these are the best cupcakes ive ever had.

Meki — March 18, 2012 @ 8:34 am

I used this frosting and it’s so goooood. just the ways I wanted them :) I halved the recipe. :)

steff — March 31, 2012 @ 8:47 am

we’ve made these 3 times now and they are truly outstanding.

Cassie — April 21, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I just made these, they are in the oven now. They smell fantastic and I had to fill the bowl will water to prevent myself from shoving my head in there to lick it clean!! Maybe its my oven but after 18 minutes the center is still too soft to take out but im afraid of burning them… any suggestions?

Allyson — May 5, 2012 @ 11:02 am

I’m not sure if I’m bling but how many cupcakes does this recipe make and what did u use to apply the delicious frosting on the top! FYI these look amazing!!

Orr — May 17, 2012 @ 2:26 am

Hi, I would love to try these cupcakes, but is there any chance I can use low fat cream cheese for the frosting? or, is there a low fat chocolate frosting of some kind that you can recommend? thank you

Alessandra — May 24, 2012 @ 10:18 am

Jessica! I made this frosting last night to go with my espresso fudge cupcakes and it. was. fantastic. This is definitely a go to recipe. LOVE that it makes enough frosting to pipe is sky high on my “frosting holders”. As always, you’re the best!

Kelly — May 24, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

They are soooo good, defiitely a chooclate lovers special .. amazing. :) keep it up !

Jenn P — June 18, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

These did not work for me! They fell in the center. No rise. Should there be baking powder in the recipe?

Kara — July 27, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Something went wrong. Mine fell in the middle and they were WAY too greasy…guessing this recipe called for too much butter.

Lori — August 25, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

Should these be refrigerated because of the cream cheese?

Wen — September 27, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

These were okay. The batter tasted better than the actual cupcakes did though
    :[

Alisha — October 13, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Mine ran over and sank in the middle too :( And I used my limited cupcake wrappers I had ordered for my sons b-day. I was able to salvage all but 3. I think there is definitely too much butter; a couple of my wrappers didn’t stick to the cake and I had tiny droplets of butter in the pan once I removed the cupcakes. I read some comments (afterward, unfortunately) that thought it was a milk issue but I’m using the updated recipe. Did you ever try reducing the amount of melted butter?

Mina — December 11, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Thank you sooo much for this recipe! I just found out about your blog today and couldn’t wait to come home and make these. These are the BEST chocolate cupcakes EVER!!! The frosting was honestly ah-mazinggg! I’m so happy with how they turned out even though I split the frosting recipe in half. Thanks again, I’m hooked on this website! ~_~

Zz — December 23, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

theres no sour cream in my country ..how can i replace it?

• Stephanie Gwinn — December 30th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

Try using plain yogurt in place of sour cream in same measurments. Thats the closest to sour cream here in the USA
      Good luck & I hope it works!

Vera Zecevic-Cupcakes Garden — December 26, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

This is real chocolaty goodness.I’ve featured this recipe on my blog, hoping that you don’t mind, but if you do, please contact me and I’ll remove it. All the best.

Debbie — February 20, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

To all those whose cupcakes fell, could be the type of Cocoa used and the baking powder not working. If you use unsweetened Cocoa you need to use baking soda. If you use special dark or dutch cocoa you need to use baking powder. It’s got to do with acids and alkalies, it’s a science thing. I Googled it because i was curious as to why some recipes call for baking soda and some call for powder. I hope this helps.

amanda — April 5, 2013 @ 1:05 am

LOVE your cupcakes!! i altered the recipe slightly, i halved the sugar and used yoghurt in place of cream and sour cream… turned out LOVELY!!
    thankyou

Monique — April 25, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

I just made these cupcakes but used your recipe for peanut butter buttercream. They turned out amazing!! I put a little Reese mini on top. Thanks so much for the great recipes! You have a great blog.

• Monique — April 25th, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

Forgot to mention – I baked them for the suggested 18 minutes and they did fall. I just put them back in the oven or another 15 minutes and they were perfect!! Followed the recipe exactly.

Lindsey — May 23, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

Hoping to bake these for my mom’s birthday this weekend but w/ a plain cream cheese frosting. I see in this recipe you call for baking powder but in the recipe it was adapted from you call from baking soda. Do you think one works better than the other?

Jameliz Estrella — August 17, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

These came out amazing. The frosting is super yummy and the cast was so good. I found the recipe very easy to follow, which was a huge plus. Wonderful recipe.

Elvyna — August 30, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

Made these last week for a party and everyone loved it. They still talk about it this week! Thanks for this gem of a recipe! :D

Candy — October 26, 2013 @ 8:35 am

OMG, these cupcakes are pure heaven. Mine turned out absolutely perfect.
    I did swap the choc chips for white choc chips and they are sooo yummy.
    Do they need to be refrigerated because of the cream cheese?

Rebecca — November 8, 2013 @ 9:57 pm

I made these and then read all the comments. I was so disappointed. The batter was definitely to greasy and they fell in the middle. I also agree with one of the other comments, the batter tasted better than the baked product.

Lauren — January 26, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

What kind of cocoa powder do you usually use when making your different chocolate desserts?

raquel — March 8, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

I absolutely love these… they really are very good… HOWEVER, I will admit that the milk ingredients always sort of make me roll my eyes… 1/2 cup fat-free milk, 3 tablespoons heavy cream, 2 tablespoons sour cream…

couldn’t this just be substituded by say 1 cup of buttermilk? or 1/2 cup of sour cream?? in otherwords, just one ingredient instead of 3?? I don’t mean to seem lazy but it is several additional little steps & necessary ingredients that make me want to make it less…

Amy — March 28, 2014 @ 12:58 pm

Hey Jessica! Is it possible to use greek yogurt instead of sour cream? Thank you! making these tonight for my choco-holic sister’s birthday!

Mareike — May 8, 2014 @ 9:50 am

These look outstanding!! I have a party that I want to make these for on Sunday afternoon, so do you think that I could bake the cake Friday, then frost them Saturday and they would still be amazing for the next day? Also, I should store them in the fridge right? Thanks!!

Michelle — July 23, 2014 @ 11:25 pm

Not sure what I have done wrong, but my icing tasted odd. I expected a very chocolate taste but instead was a little overwhelmed with a cream cheese taste. I melted more chocolate chips and still can only taste cream cheese. Any suggestions for my next attempt?

1. Pingback: Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes [Dessert Time]

2. Pingback: Chocolate Lover’s Cupcake | Delicious Recipes

3. Pingback: Gluten Free Almond Joy Cupcakes | Ari's Menu

4. Pingback: Beer Risotto with Mushroom Garlic Chicken | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Chocolate Lovers Cupcakes « The Cupcake Blog

6. Pingback: wellyeahmakeme | Pearltrees

7. Pingback: Cape Breton University » Blog Archive » Master Procrastinator

8. Pingback: Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Buttercream Frosting | Nom Nom Nom

9. Pingback: Cupcake da Semana #1 : Eu Comi – Novidades

10. Pingback: Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes « Pale Yellow

11. Pingback: popcorn & puppies | mon petit treat

12. Pingback: Recipe – Chocolate Lovers Cupcakes are Full of Ooey Gooey Goodness | Food Invasion

13. Pingback: Chocolate Lovers Cupcakes | Sweet & Spicy Life

14. Pingback: Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes

15. Pingback: Working for the Weekend | life's little moments

16. Pingback: Chocolate Lover’s Cupcakes « The Best Cupcake Recipes

17. Pingback: Chocolate lover's cupcakes | Recipes I Need

18. Pingback: Chocolate lover’s cupcakes. | Internet Darshan

19. Pingback: Chocolate Intensity Cadbury Cupcakes

20. Pingback: I’ve Been Away! AND Chocolate Cupcakes {Yum!} | Pinundated

21. Pingback: 20 Cupcake Recipes for Chocoholics | mocochocodotcom

22. Pingback: Warm Vanilla Sugar | Valentine’s Day Treats!

23. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcake With One Ingredient Coconut Creme | Cookbook Encounters

24. Pingback: Dreamy Chocolate Cupcakes | The Baking Addict