Well… it is Fat Tuesday.

Did you expect anything less from me?
I made these cupcakes Friday afternoon to have for dinner on Friday night. And they are simple – only one bowl necessary! I think I told four different people that I needed to handcuff myself so I wouldn’t eat them before our company arrived. It wouldn’t have mattered… I could have chewed through the metal to get to these.
I was craving a chocolate + peanut butter treat for dessert but as usual, wanted something different from what I already have made before. All I could think about was thick, creamy peanut butter buttercream frosting…

So I stuffed the cupcakes, which was really easy! I just poked a hole in the cupcake with the pastry tip and filled them. You can never have too much peanut butter. Especially if it’s enveloped by chocolate.

I’m the kind of person that just likes a big blob of frosting on the top of a cupcake.

No spreading needed.
But didn’t that cupcake look sort of naked?

That’s what I thought too.

Much better.
Some of this may be necessary.

Preferably of the anything-but-skim variety.
Result? They were an absolute hit; my brother dubbed them the best dessert I have ever made. They probably are the best cupcake I’ve ever tasted, considering I don’t love cake. These cupcakes are so soft and fluffy and chocolaty, but not super sweet. They make a perfect base for the peanut butter buttercream, which is light and airy with just a hint of peanut butter – not overwhelming whatsoever. And the hot [dark] chocolate fudge adds that layer of decadence that takes them over the top.
There may have been a fight over the last one.

[print_this]

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 tablespoons sour cream

1/4 cup homemade fudge sauce (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add milk, cream, butter and vanilla, and mix until combined. Stir in sour cream. Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture. Mix until batter is smooth, then swirl in fudge sauce. Line a muffin tin with liners and using a 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
Peanut Butter Buttercream

1/2 cup butter, softened

2/3 cup peanut butter

3-4 cups of powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1-2 tablespoons of milk

pinch of salt

Cream butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar with mixer on low speed and gradually add milk and vanilla extract. Mix until frosting is smooth. If too thick, add more milk; if too thin, add more sugar. Frost cupcakes as desired.
Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce

1 cup sugar

1 cup dark cocoa powder

2 tablespoons flour

pinch of salt

1 cup boiling water or scalding milk

1 tablespoon of butter

1 teaspoon of vanilla

Combine sugar, cocoa, salt, and flour in a bowl or pot over a double boiler. Bring water or milk to a boil. Gradually add hot liquid to sugar mixture. Stir constantly until mixture thickens.

Once it has reached the desired thickness, remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Drizzle over cupcakes and store the rest of the sauce in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.

[/print_this]

In the wise words of Mr. How Sweet: these have protein, good fat, and a lot of antioxidants.

Therefore, they are a healthy snack. Win!

251 Responses to “Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes.”

Melinda Tucker — July 31, 2011 @ 1:25 am

I have to say I am very disappointed with these. I made them tonight and they turned out awful. First they fell apart when I took them out of the Pan and I thought I could save them with the icing but it was pulling up the cupcake and it Was a mess. So sad

• Gina — January 7th, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

I had the same problem with my cupcakes falling apart, but I am assuming it must have been because I substituted store-bought hot fudge sauce for the homemade version.

Julia — July 31, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I could not resist these when I saw the post this morning. PB BUTTERCREAM?! I didn’t have all of the ingredients for cupcakes, so I just made the frosting. And I ate it out of the bowl. I blame hormones.

Best frosting ever!

Superstevies — August 2, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Jessica,
    I going to make these…Sounds great but the Step-by-step recipe is different from the printed recipe.

In the printed recipe it says to swirl in the fudge sauce…How Much of it? Becuase some needed for the toppin too? The step by step doesn’t show or say to swirl in the fudge sauce at all? SO I wonder which on is right? I want them to turn out. Any info would be great thanks.

• Jessica — August 2nd, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Hi! So sorry about that. I did not mix in the hot fudge for my TK photos (I forgot the step and after taking 200+ photos… ) but I have made them both ways before – probably half with and half without! If you want to mix some in, I usually do about 1/3 of a cup. You will still have some fudge (it makes about a cup) to drizzle. If you don’t want to mix it in, it’s okay though! Let me know how they turn out. :)

Jackie (SeeJacRun) — August 3, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

Just made these today for my coworkers and they turned out amazing, everyone loved them and even fought over the last one!!! Thanks so much for the awesome recipe :)

Casey — August 9, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Just made these the other day…AMAZING. you’re a genius, I have no other words to describe your insane awesomeness.

Michelle — August 12, 2011 @ 11:40 am

I made these today! They are amazing. Mine made 16 cupcakes instead of 12…not sure why but they still tasted great!

Foodiewife — August 21, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

I made these cupcakes and loved them. They are really moist. What surprised me is that I don’t like peanut butter all that much. I made these for my husband. Well, I’ll be… I loved these! The hot fudge sauce is wonderful over ice cream, too. I blogged it, and gave you credit for the recipe. Thanks for sharing this one….it’s a keeper.

• Lia — August 9th, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I made these for my husband as an I love you gift and he LOVED them! The cupcake was so moist and the icing turned out fantastic! They were such a hit that I will be making them for his birthday and any special event in the future. Thank you for this amazing recipe and making a baker out of me!

Hairett — August 28, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

These look amazing! I’ve been obsessed with your blog ever since I found it a few weeks ago. I’m planning to make these for tomorrow for a friend’s birthday~ I was wondering if i could use unsweetened cocoa powder instead of dark cocoa powder?

Jennifer — September 4, 2011 @ 9:56 am

I made these a few weeks ago and although the cupcakes themselves turned out perfect, I had no luck with the buttercream filling/frosting. Even though I followed the instructions, it was thick and heavy and dry. When I added more milk, it smoothed out the texture, but didn’t turn out fluffy as it appears in the picture. And squeezing it through a pastry bag took all of my strength. What did I do wrong?

David O'Garr — September 4, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

I have a question for you, I’m about to make these cupcakes and I’m putting a list of ingredients that I need to go pick up at the grocery store. Now, I don’t have all-purpose, would it be all right if I used pastry flour? I’m fairly new to baking, but cook a lot. Anyway, any advice you could give me would be grand.

• Jessica — September 4th, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

Unfortunately I am not really familiar with pastry flour at all – I use whole wheat pastry flour in muffins, etc, but I haven’t tried it with these and don’t know enough to say that it would work. Sorry!

• David O'Garr — September 5th, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

So they turned out fantastic! Thanks so much!

Brye — October 6, 2011 @ 11:28 am

I’ve made these a couple of times since you first posted and they are delish. My son is turning 2 on Saturday and he asked for chocolate pb cake so I’m attempting this in cake form. A little nervous. If it turns out I’ll post pics.

MegV — November 30, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I’m going to try to make these in cake form for my mom’s surprise birthday party this weekend! Hope they turn out! :)

Lauren — January 30, 2012 @ 11:36 pm

Just finished making these. My roommates are sitting at the table devouring them. They are absolutely delicious!! Warning: Have lots of milk on hand. These things are rich!

Noor — February 22, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if you use powdered sugar or regular sugar when making the hot fudge? Could you use either or? Thanks in advance :-)

Noor

Susan — March 8, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Has anyone made these in mini cupcakes? I want to try it this weekend but wondering if I could stuff a mini cupcake?

• Jessica — March 8th, 2012 @ 1:54 pm

If you have a really tiny frosting tip I think you can!

Lauren — April 6, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

I made these and blogged about them. They are amazing. Ah-mazing. Two people proposed to me after eating these. So…thanks for that. :)

Jen — May 16, 2012 @ 11:05 am

I made these last week and they were AMAZING. Also, I couldn’t find dark chocolate cocoa powder so I used bittersweet and it worked fine.

Amanda — June 4, 2012 @ 8:29 am

In the ingredients under milk it says 1/2 cup milk then it just says 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream… do I use one cup of milk plus the tbl of heavy cream?! help! :)

’1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream’

• Jessica — June 4th, 2012 @ 8:44 am

It’s 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream – in additional to the milk.

Rebecca — July 12, 2012 @ 9:31 pm

Hi, I was looking for a good peanut butter buttercream recipe and I stumbled upon yours. Absolutely delicious, however I found that I had to add a lot more milk to thin it out. I had to stop adding powdered sugar halfway through and start adding milk because it was very much like a dough. But once the milk thinned it out, it was fantastic! Thanks so much! :D
    I’m using a box mix for the dark chocolate cake. Hopefully it turns out as yummy as yours looks! (:

Alyssa — February 3, 2013 @ 11:36 am

I made these last night for my boyfriend’s birthday party and they were a hit! Not only did his friends love them but we gave our waitress one and she came back with half of the staff saying that they all had a bite and it was delicious! They were all asking me if I baked professionally!

When I baked them I used all heavy cream in the cupcake (Trader Joes shelf stable whipping cream to be exact) because that was the only cream I had and didn’t want to waste the rest of it. unfortunately when I took them out of the oven all of the tops sank! Whoops. They still tasted great but next time I’ll follow the recipe! Thanks for another great one!

Alyssa — May 8, 2013 @ 9:44 am

I made these again this past weekend as they were requested for my friend’s engagement party. I just wanted to note for other bakers that both times I’ve added almost double the amount of milk to the frosting to achieve a pipe-able consistency. Also, I’ve found that making 1.5 times the amount of frosting allows me to be able to frost the high peaks that I like. Otherwise I’ve run out of frosting with a few cupcakes left! Also, I only made half of the amount of the hot fudge which was more than plenty (I added 1/4 cup to the batter and drizzled on cupcakes). Next time I might even try to just make a quarter of the original amount. It’s delicious but too dangerous for me to have left over!

This is a great recipe! And, not only is it one of my favorites but also my friends! They love it! My friend calls the frosting peanut butter crack! Thanks for a great recipe!

Alyssa — May 8, 2013 @ 9:48 am

One last comment! When I made them it made 18 cupcakes instead of 12 (using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop)! Score!!! Although now that I think of it, this is probably why I end up running out of frosting… makes sense now!

Emma — June 10, 2013 @ 7:16 am

Made these the other day for both my boyfriends and my family. So many brownie points won. I was raved about, and doted upon. It was awesome, I made a double batch and it turned out that I had a heap of this delicious peanut butter cream frosting left over…so I’ve just been eating it, sometimes on toast. Was just wondering if you had any other ideas for what the left over frosting could be used for?

1. Pingback: Greetings, Earthlings! « Toned In Tie Dye

2. Pingback: » Blog Archive » Hill workout and cupcakes

3. Pingback: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes | Foodbeast Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes | The Premiere Food News Resource

4. Pingback: Cupcakes, cupcakes, everywhere. « Toned In Tie Dye

5. Pingback: Lent and Going Sweetener Free | theflourishingfoodie

6. Pingback: Coffee Anecdotes and a Weekly Menu « Life as a Feast

7. Pingback: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes | Beegs.com

8. Pingback: Cupcakes for the Monday Blues « Life as a Feast

9. Pingback: S'mores Cake in a Jar | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Random Ramblings | theflourishingfoodie

11. Pingback: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes « i FinD Recipes Online

12. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Hot Fudge Filling and Peanut Butter Frosting | theflourishingfoodie

13. Pingback: Half Baked. | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes «

15. Pingback: Twice As Nice: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes. | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Baking A Cake (for those challenged in the kitchen) «

17. Pingback: Round 2 of Awesome Stuffed Cupcakes « Beautiful Disasters

18. Pingback: For Mikey: Nutter Butter Chocolate Cupcakes « Sweet Elizabeth

19. Pingback: Bank Holiday Weekend recap « Beauty in the balance

20. Pingback: How to show them you care | b out there

21. Pingback: Chocolate Cake | the sommerkorns

22. Pingback: Counter Productive | Emily is the new Black

23. Pingback: on thankfulness and turkey | O to the No

24. Pingback: hello cupcake | O to the No

25. Pingback: Food Friday « Lost in Drawers

26. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Cupcakes #Recipe #Yum | Midlife Road Trip

27. Pingback: Celebrate S’mores | Southern Fare

28. Pingback: Holiday Treat Recipe: S'Mores Cake in a Jar - G.P.S. (blog) - ParentMap.com

29. Pingback: Chocolate Lover's Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

30. Pingback: To: S.O.S. | clueless nutrition

31. Pingback: Root Beer Float Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

32. Pingback: Peanut Butter Stuffed Hot Fudge Cupcakes | Cupcakes and Running Shoes

33. Pingback: Peanut Butter Fudge Coffee Ice Cream Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

34. Pingback: Brittany graduated from college!! « notjustacupcake

35. Pingback: » Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

36. Pingback: Hot Fudge Cupcakes #Recipe - Slap Dash Mom

37. Pingback: RecipeDark Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

38. Pingback: Reese’s Lovers Cupcakes | Bag of Flour

39. Pingback: Dessert Has Been Upgraded: Stuffed Cupcakes You Must Try (Photos) | Elite Daily