Wanna get away?

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Let’s pretend we’re going somewhere tropical.

Um, if you are already somewhere tropical? Or if you live somewhere tropical, like permanently? You can’t play.

You’re eliminated by my jealousy.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

We’re lying on the beach! Isn’t it wonderful? I’m hogging 3 towels and dumping a full water bottle on myself because even though I really want to go somewhere steamy, I turn into Medusa when hot. I’m also reading whatever chick lit I can get my hands on that many of you smart people would classify as trash but I consider real life serious advice. And sometimes I think book characters my real life friends which is probably, uhh… half my problem.

We drink a pitcher (or four) of margaritas and listen to waves crash and skip showering and eat ice cream everyday because that is what you do when you’re away.

You’re pretty fun, you know that? I like vacation with you. I don’t even care about all of this sand in my swimsuit.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

I whine and complain that I want fish tacos and ONLY fish tacos for dinner but not just annnnny fish tacos… some that sort of taste coconutty and tropical like this pretty place we’re in and like, do you think you can make this happen? So you do your darnedest to please my high maintenance palate and make me THESE fish tacos, which taste all sorts of delicious with kiwi salsa piled on top. It’s official: I’m never going home.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos

serves 4

6 tilapia filets

1/3 cup light coconut milk

1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

whole wheat tortillas

for topping: chopped avocado, shredded lettuce, cilantro

2-24 hours before serving, add tilapia filets to a large ziplock bag. Combine coconut milk, lime zest, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl, stirring to combine, then pour over tilapia, shaking the bag to coat. Let marinate for 2-24 hours.

Preheat your grill (or a skillet or oven – make this how you choose) to a medium-high heat and add tilapia. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until fish flakes with a fork. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of you choice.

Simple Kiwi Salsa

4 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

1/2 jalapeno, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

pinch of salt

pinch of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix!

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Unless there’s no dessert here. Then I’ll go home.

109 Responses to “Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa.”

Nicole — February 15, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

This recipe almost made me cry because it looks amazing and I’m allergic to kiwi… sweet, tongue-swelling kiwi…

• Stephanie — June 24th, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

Try subbing mango or some other fruit for the kiwi! Mango salsa is delish!!

Patti G — February 15, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Don’t hate me – I leave for Florida the day after tomorrow. I’ll toast you while laying on the beach with my margarita!

Quiche-ing Queen — February 15, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Yes please!!!

Alaina — February 15, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

The kiwi salsa looks so good! Do you think it would be good alone, with chips to dip, instead of as a garnish?

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

For sure! And I know that from, uh… experience.

Maria — February 15, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

Loving that salsa!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Culinary Indulgence — February 15, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

These look to die for! I was just looking the other day for a good fish taco recipe, but wanted something different, and here it is!

Cara — February 15, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

We love love love our fish tacos in this house especially marinated in coconut milk. Can’t wait to add your kiwi salsa!

Asmita — February 15, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

Mexican food has to be one of my favorite food ever. The tacos look incredible especially with that salsa.
    Love it!!!

Andrea — February 15, 2012 @ 11:13 pm

You are on the biggest coconut kick and I am LOVING it! Can’t wait to try this… wonder if it would be good with shrimp instead of tilapia?

Emily@ LivingLongfellow — February 16, 2012 @ 12:01 am

Take me to a beach this SECOND. Beautiful color composition.

Diane {Created by Diane} — February 16, 2012 @ 12:08 am

Oh MY they look wonderful!

Jen Laceda — February 16, 2012 @ 2:33 am

What a great, great idea!!!! can’t wait to try this at home. In Canada.

marie — February 16, 2012 @ 2:37 am

I think I need to find a cheap flight to somewhere hot asap. Or at least drink a pina colada and lay in a tanning bed and then go eat ice cream and these fish tacos. I am not a spontaneous person, but if somebody called me right now and said “pack your bags were going somewhere hot, the plane leaves in a hour” you can bet your bottom dollar I would drop everything to go.

Diana M — February 16, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Seriously craving these…..they look fab! Going to St. Thomas this weekend….I may never come home. I will make these and eat them on the beach…and weep with joy.

Erin — February 16, 2012 @ 9:57 am

I love you. These look amazing. I am totally making them tomorrow. And I most certainly would like to be on that vacation.

betty — February 16, 2012 @ 10:53 am

do you think i would like these, even if i don’t care for coconut??

• Jessica — February 16th, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

I think it depends on why you don’t like coconut – for instance my husband likes coconut flavor but just really hates the texture of actual coconut. I will say that this has such a mild coconut flavor that it can barely be detected!

• betty — February 16th, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

i just don’t like the taste of coconut.. the texture doesnt bother me.. i figured the taste would compliment the other flavors and i wouldnt get the full effect if it werent in there. cant wait to try! have the ingredients ready to go!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — February 16, 2012 @ 11:36 am

Do you know how many ounces tilapia?

• Jessica — February 16th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Like how many ounces each filet was? I think mine were a little above 4 ounces each!

Elisabeth — February 16, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

yet another fruit salsa for me to pin from your blog! I love it!

Lindsay @ Nourish — February 16, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

What a beautiful recipe!! I’ll have to make these next Taco Tuesday! xx

Paula @ lipstick and lunges — February 16, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

These looks so good! I love fish tacos, but my husband hates them. I’ll have to try this recipe next time he is away for a weekend.

christina @ ovenadventures — February 16, 2012 @ 2:46 pm

i wanna be on a beach drinking and eating ice cream. like right now. i love how coconut = beach always and forever. my bf isn’t a fish lover but he loves kiwi so i am hoping to win him over with these.

Ann — February 16, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

They look amazing and you absolutely painted a picture with your words….delish!

Shrazzi @ Getting Fresh in the Kitchen — February 16, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

Disqualified or not, I’m making these tomorrow… on the beach in Mazatlan. Looks great! :)

Caroline — February 18, 2012 @ 4:19 pm

I post every day on my French food blog, http://onefrenchword.wordpress.com, and every Monday I blog about someone else’s food blog. Next Monday I shall be featuring a link to your site and to this recipe in particular.

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — February 18, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Now these are my kind of tacos! I am really liking that kiwi salsa!

Laura {the happiness of rainy days} — February 18, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

This is on the menu for tonight’s dinner! Excited for kiwi salsa!

Kellie — February 18, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Made these for dinner tonight… THANK YOU!!! They were such a hit!! Best meal we’ve had in a LONG time!

Bea Ihrig — February 27, 2012 @ 11:18 am

So many good recipes. I have had a wonderful time this morning reading all of them & will fix alot . I sure needed some new foods to eat thank you.

Megan — March 2, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

I was always under the impression that fish gets soggy if you marinate it for more than 30 minutes? Most fish marinade recipes encourage marinating for no more than an hour. I realize this is not acidic based, however, more than a few hours seems much too long to marinate tilapia.

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

Hmmm interesting! I have never heard that before and we eat fish a few times a week. It’s never seemed mushy to me but I will keep that in mind and pay more attention now.

Mel — March 13, 2012 @ 8:00 am

What is a good sub for Tilapia? I live in Australia and can’t get it here. I red grouper is a good sub, but I can’t get that either. Would Barramundi or Red Emperor work?

• Jessica — March 13th, 2012 @ 8:03 am

Any light white fish should work fine!

Michelle — April 23, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Excellent, excellent, excellent. I live in Australia and this is not a common combination. Just used a different white fish mixed with a bit of salmon. Even my 3 and 4 year old kids loved this. Thanks!

Jennifer C. Warren — June 7, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

The citrus taste and flavor associated with lime zest and lime with chicken is summer treat. The tilapia marinade results in a clean and refreshing twist on grilled or broiled fish.

Recipes that include lime juice and zest are great meal.

Jennifer C. Warren

Deb — September 16, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

Dear Jessica ~ I love this blog post….:) Very cute! Buuuuuttttt…. I live here in Florida…permanently, and I’m secretly going to play. ;) Looks yummy!

1. Pingback: » Nightly Nom: Grilled Coconut Lime Talapia Tacos BLACK WIDOW - LIP BALM FOR THE LIVING.

2. Pingback: Coconut Lime Fish Tacos with Kiwi Salsa | cookingwithpinterest

3. Pingback: Just Call Me the Crazy Dog Lady | motivating jess

4. Pingback: Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa | Flip My Pancakes

5. Pingback: Inappropriate Kiwi Use « The Crafty Chemist

6. Pingback: Tilapia for Tuesday « A Mom Inspired

7. Pingback: 12 Fruit Salsa Recipes | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease

9. Pingback: Fish Tacos With Mango Black Bean Salsa – Our First Home-Cooked Dinner In Our New Home! : The Frolicking Fells

10. Pingback: Kiwi Salsa | Munchie's Mind