Wanna get away?

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Let’s pretend we’re going somewhere tropical.

Um, if you are already somewhere tropical? Or if you live somewhere tropical, like permanently? You can’t play.

You’re eliminated by my jealousy.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

We’re lying on the beach! Isn’t it wonderful? I’m hogging 3 towels and dumping a full water bottle on myself because even though I really want to go somewhere steamy, I turn into Medusa when hot. I’m also reading whatever chick lit I can get my hands on that many of you smart people would classify as trash but I consider real life serious advice. And sometimes I think book characters my real life friends which is probably, uhh… half my problem.

We drink a pitcher (or four) of margaritas and listen to waves crash and skip showering and eat ice cream everyday because that is what you do when you’re away.

You’re pretty fun, you know that? I like vacation with you. I don’t even care about all of this sand in my swimsuit.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

I whine and complain that I want fish tacos and ONLY fish tacos for dinner but not just annnnny fish tacos… some that sort of taste coconutty and tropical like this pretty place we’re in and like, do you think you can make this happen? So you do your darnedest to please my high maintenance palate and make me THESE fish tacos, which taste all sorts of delicious with kiwi salsa piled on top. It’s official: I’m never going home.

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos

serves 4

6 tilapia filets

1/3 cup light coconut milk

1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

whole wheat tortillas

for topping: chopped avocado, shredded lettuce, cilantro

2-24 hours before serving, add tilapia filets to a large ziplock bag. Combine coconut milk, lime zest, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl, stirring to combine, then pour over tilapia, shaking the bag to coat. Let marinate for 2-24 hours.

Preheat your grill (or a skillet or oven – make this how you choose) to a medium-high heat and add tilapia. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until fish flakes with a fork. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of you choice.

Simple Kiwi Salsa

4 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

1/2 jalapeno, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

pinch of salt

pinch of pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix!

Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Unless there’s no dessert here. Then I’ll go home.

109 Responses to “Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 15, 2012 @ 8:01 am

These look wonderful! Now I’m singing you put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up… Thanks! :) Have a great day!!!

Kim — February 15, 2012 @ 8:06 am

I am SO going on this getaway with you! I can hear the crash of the waves…

Anicena — February 15, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Not gonna lie, I have used your Honey Lime Tilapia in tacos, with home made tortillas, lettuce, cheese, salsa, cilantro, and extra lime juice. They are absolutely one of our favorite dinners. Thank you for inspiring me to be food creative every day. <3

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 15, 2012 @ 8:24 am

fish tacos in any form always make me feel like it’s vacay…and yes, let’s get away and drink fruity coconutty girly drinks.

all day :)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — February 15, 2012 @ 8:27 am

So beautiful, vibrant and green. Fish tacos always trump any other kind. They just feel classy. And the others just feel like taco bell.

Kim in MD — February 15, 2012 @ 8:30 am

Count me in on this tropical vacation and these fish tacos! Oh- and the margaritas, too! ;-)

Erica — February 15, 2012 @ 8:32 am

Now i want to go on vacation! This is such a fun take on mexican

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 15, 2012 @ 8:37 am

That’s what Max’s had Sunday for his birthday dinner! We marinated the tilapia in a lime dressing and finished the tacos with corn salsa and fresh lime. The kids devoured them! Yours look delicious!

teri@managedmacros — February 15, 2012 @ 8:44 am

I just saved this to my ‘gotta eat’ tab!!! I LOVE THE COMBO!!!!
    Beautiful pics too!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 15, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Ooooh YES take me away!! I like vacations with you too ;) Around this time 2 years ago, I was headed to Punta Cana with a bunch of friends for our university grad trip. It makes me sad to think I’m not going anywhere hot this month, but I do love the sounds of this kiwi salsa and might just make it this weekend to make myself feel better!

leaf (the indolent cook) — February 15, 2012 @ 8:56 am

That looks delish. Bring on the tropical holiday tacos!

Alison — February 15, 2012 @ 8:57 am

I would LOVE it if you did a post listing your fav chick lit. It’s just about all I read these days… when I’m not busy cooking your recipes:)

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Haha! Well quickly – some of my favorites are Kristin Hannah, Emily Giffin and Elin Hilderbrand.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — February 15, 2012 @ 9:03 am

I’m totally going to play along with your game and make these tacos. I love fish tacos but for some reason I’ve never made them at home. Time to change that!

Bev Weidner — February 15, 2012 @ 9:09 am

Please tell me Erin McCarthy books are among your chick lit. If not, I’ll bring mine. I’M NOT EVEN EMBARRASSED.

Gen — February 15, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Looks wonderful!!! It is summer here and I do live on the coast….but I don’t ever actually go to the beach…….I think I want a vacation too! :D haha

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — February 15, 2012 @ 9:28 am

I had my first fish taco about a month ago and I have to say that it was pretty darn delicious, so I’m all for these.
    And I like the vacation idea, but not the sand in the swimsuit.
    *shudders*
    I despise sand even though I was raised on the beach and lived a street away from it. It makes my skin crawl now. Must’ve have been buried in it as a kid and traumatized.

Blog is the New Black — February 15, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Kiwi!! YES!

Tandi — February 15, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Please, please, please let me go on this little tropical getaway with you?! I was just thinking this morning that if I don’t get some sun and warmth on my skin, margaritas, and fish tacos soon I may just loose my mind OR drive every one around me crazy with my whining and complaining about wanting sun, warmth, margaritas, and fish tacos.

Maybe I’ll break down and go to the tanning bed then go home and make margaritas and fish tacos. :)

Cassie — February 15, 2012 @ 9:46 am

Totally want to get away. Coconut and lime is the best way to do it. Sounds delicious!

tiffiny — February 15, 2012 @ 9:52 am

read the hunger games!!!!! it’s not really chick-lit, but it’s amazing. and everyone is obsessed with it (even my dad, who does NOT read).. the movie even comes out next month!

that vacation seems amazing. i’m freezing my fingers off right now

also i like your second picture up there, with a banana peel in the corner :P

Elizabeth — February 15, 2012 @ 9:59 am

You had me at “lying on the beach.” Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the proper English usage!!!!! I would not have read further with a {{{shudder}}}}”laying.” Now I shall go to the market and buy tilapia and kiwi and make these for my family tonight. Happy Wednesday!

Brittnee — February 15, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Oh, we are having dessert on my beach :) Where do you actually travel to if you want to go to the beach? I live 45 minutes from a beach..so I’m planning a picnic there with these tacos :)

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Jealoussss… pretty sure the closest to an actual beach for me would be like Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia, etc… but some people consider Lake Erie a beach. I do not.

• Brittnee — February 15th, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

I don’t think Lake Erie qualifies either, lol.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — February 15, 2012 @ 10:14 am

These look AMAZING!!! And I really wish I was on that tropical vacay right now…

Jorie — February 15, 2012 @ 10:15 am

** LOVE ** your back-story for these tacos, which look totally de-lish! absolutely the best tropical getaway taco ever.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — February 15, 2012 @ 10:27 am

Considering every day between Jan 1-April 1 all I can think of is “oh my god I need to go on a tropical vacation stat” this doesn’t help. Haha

Elizabeth @ chronic venture — February 15, 2012 @ 10:33 am

yum yum yum!! can’t wait to make these and dream about warmer weather!

Amanda — February 15, 2012 @ 10:37 am

You always have the best fish recipes! Maybe I’ll use this recipe for my next Top Chef competition since the first ones went over so well :) These look delicious, can’t wait to try them!

Emily @ Peel The Pieces — February 15, 2012 @ 10:44 am

YUM! I JUST picked up some tilapia from the store, now I know what I’m going to do with it :) Thank you!

Shannon — February 15, 2012 @ 10:48 am

While I’m NOT a fan of fish anything…I’m hooked (pun intended) on anything Nora Roberts right now, well like for the last 8 months. Sadly, I’m running out of titles and need some new authors. Any ideas?

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

Have you read anything by Kristin Hannah or Elin Hilderbrand? I could never get into Nora Roberts… don’t know why!

Cookbook Queen — February 15, 2012 @ 10:48 am

I love going on vacation with you. Except for when you make me cook.

Cait's Plate — February 15, 2012 @ 10:53 am

All of your tacos/tostadas/enchillada posts make me crave Mexican like crazy…WITHOUT fail.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — February 15, 2012 @ 11:34 am

chick lit makes my world go ’round. Whoever says it isn’t educational hasn’t read Something Borrowed.

Katie — February 15, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Yeah, book friends? That happens to me, too. I actually morn the loss of my “friends” when the book is over sometimes. I feel like we’ve probably had this conversation…but I just wanted you to know you’re not alone.

And I really really could use a huge plate of these little tacos in front of me.

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

OMG we’ve definitely had this conversation before. I love it.

Amy @Macncheesenpeas — February 15, 2012 @ 12:18 pm

I need to try fish tacos, I feel like everyone’s always talking about how great they are and these ones look particularly amazing!

Valerie — February 15, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

I will be honest… I will try anything once but something about fish taco’s never interested me… I love my fish simple and my taco’s covered in quacamole and very spicy salsa.. then I tried a bite of a friends at Border Cafe… (my fave mexican place in Boston- great food and cheap drinks) and I completely flip flopped my view on fish tacos… I will have to make this recipe!

There’s nothing like a good piece of chik lit with the sound of waves crashing in the background drinking an adult beverage while under an umbrella … (hey I’m a pale Irish girl- I make like the sun but it don’t like me)

• Jessica — February 15th, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Right there with you Valerie… I’m so pale!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 15, 2012 @ 12:36 pm

I’m packing my bags RIGHT NOW! Or, er… just making these beautiful fish tacos instead.

Lyss — February 15, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

I’ve been looking for new ways to cook tilapia and this looks perfect!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — February 15, 2012 @ 12:42 pm

When I was pregnant I ate so much tilapia. It’s very low in mercury and was full of protein and something I could keep down. I never really ate it before or since, but during, it was a god send and I would have loved this creative way to jazz it up b/c it’s so neutral-tasting on it’s own. Looks awesome!

Jen Marie — February 15, 2012 @ 12:56 pm

My husband would so love me forever for these!

Betsy — February 15, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

Wish I wasn’t so scared of eating fish!!!

Alaina@mommysmenu — February 15, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

You’re KILLING me with all this talk of a tropical vacation…while I live in Maine..which is very possibly the LEAST tropical spot in the entire continental US. So thanks..for starting my day off right! ;P

Oh, btw, these look AMAZINGG!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy — February 15, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

These sound delicious! I was going to make your roasted vegetable tostadas tonight for dinner, but now I want to make these! How will I ever decide?

Jordana — February 15, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

I live in the Bahamas. But I’m not really a big fish fan lol

Jordana — February 15, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

Oh i forgot to add that you should read Emily Giffin if you haven’t before !!!!!! Her books are amazinggg

Margarita — February 15, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

The kiwi salsa looks so good! I have never used kiwi in a salsa, but I already know that this is awesome.

kristy lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty — February 15, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

i’ve got a drawer full of kiwis that a friend gave me from a friend of his’ farm. thank YOU for giving me something to do with them :)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites — February 15, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

If only a few tortillas could REALLY take me away to the islands…! However, the way you make these babies look…they’d appear to do WAY more than event what fairy dust could do! beautiful Jessica!

Chelsy — February 15, 2012 @ 4:22 pm

Can we get cabana boys to bring us those margaritas? I don’t know how Mr. How Sweet would like that going down your way, but as for me, I will take myself a Mr. Ryan Reynold’s please with two pina colada’s! Anything with coconut in the title I will eat, especially if it’s on a tropical island anywhere but in hot, humid Texas. Thanks for the getaway Jess! I need to make these asap! My hair looks like a bomb just hit it from all of the humidity!

Erica | cupcakes & coffee breaks — February 15, 2012 @ 5:08 pm

Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how much I am in love with fish tacos! I cannot wait to make these!

Sara — February 15, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever had fish tacos so I’m going to have to change that with these!

Also – great chick lit recommendation. The 1 book I need to bring on all beachy vacations is “How to Sleep with a Movie Star”. There’s love and cattiness and drama and wonderfulness – and the title is a bit misleading.

1. Pingback: » Nightly Nom: Grilled Coconut Lime Talapia Tacos BLACK WIDOW - LIP BALM FOR THE LIVING.

2. Pingback: Coconut Lime Fish Tacos with Kiwi Salsa | cookingwithpinterest

3. Pingback: Just Call Me the Crazy Dog Lady | motivating jess

4. Pingback: Grilled Coconut Lime Tilapia Tacos with Kiwi Salsa | Flip My Pancakes

5. Pingback: Inappropriate Kiwi Use « The Crafty Chemist

6. Pingback: Tilapia for Tuesday « A Mom Inspired

7. Pingback: 12 Fruit Salsa Recipes | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease

9. Pingback: Fish Tacos With Mango Black Bean Salsa – Our First Home-Cooked Dinner In Our New Home! : The Frolicking Fells

10. Pingback: Kiwi Salsa | Munchie's Mind