More pizza.

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I apologize.

Ummm… but not really.

As I was testing out multiple crusts for the garlic bread pizza crust, I made like, fifty additional pizza flavors.

Okay. Lying again.

I did make this one. It’s like freaking SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP on fat, fluffy bread.

Am I even serious right now? I almost crushed some pita chips on top just because.

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza I howsweeteats.com

AND I thought I could trick my husband, who you know… loathes three foods in this entire world, one of them being ricotta cheese… into eating this pizza, but he walked in on me mid-ricotta tryst and saw two big heaps sitting in a bowl. So I told him it was ice cream.

He didn’t buy it. But he was also dipping a plain chicken breast in ketchup at the time and drinking a peach milkshake from a swirly straw. Whatever that means.

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Not only can you eat this pizza for, say… dinner or lunch, it makes for an awesome appetizer or pre-dinner snack. On a small roundish or rectangle-like crust, the filling sits almost an inch thick. Cheesy, gooey amazingness filled with – say it with me! – VEGETABLES.

I’m going to eat this forever.

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza

makes one pizza

one pizza crust recipe

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 shallot, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 (6 ounce) bag of fresh spinach

1 (14 ounce) can of artichoke hearts (5-7 count)

2/3 cup ricotta cheese

8 ounces freshly grated mozzarella cheese

4 ounces freshly grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Drain artichokes and press with a paper towel to reduce some of the moisture. Roughly chop, pressing with a towel again, then place in a bowl. Add ricotta cheese.

Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add in shallots with a pinch of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and spinach, tossing to coat and cooking until spinach is wilted. Transfer spinach mixture to the bowl with artichokes and ricotta, then add salt, pepper, 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.

Drizzle pizza dough with 1 teaspoon olive oil and brush to coat. Sprinkle a bit of mozzarella cheese over top of the dough, then spread spinach ricotta mixture evenly over top. Cover with remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Somebody gimme a chip.

124 Responses to “Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza.”

Rodzilla — March 15, 2012 @ 7:00 am

Damn I love a Sicilian style pie.

Katrina — March 15, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Whoa. This is seriously my food heaven. Awesome!

Kathryn — March 15, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I’m really loving green pizzas right now, definitely the best way to get vegetables from the plate to my tummy.

Blog is the New Black — March 15, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Gotta make this. Stat.

Chelsy — March 15, 2012 @ 7:12 am

o my word. That looks like heaven! Oh, and your husband, sounds like my younger cousin, who mind you, is in college, but eats ketchup with his porterhouse steak and his lean cuts of pork! Lord!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — March 15, 2012 @ 7:12 am

I’ve never been much of a fan of cooked spinach but this looks cheesy enough that I think I’d prolly really like it.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — March 15, 2012 @ 7:18 am

I’m loving the pizza kick you’re on, Jess! You are so creative with all the different flavor combinations! :-D

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 15, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Love it! I bet this pizza is so good!! The pictures look amazing! I need to make your pizza dough, than freeze it so when you post these recipes, I can just whip it out and make it!!! Fab recipe!!

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — March 15, 2012 @ 7:22 am

ok jessica… you don’t EVER have to apologize for making another pizza recipe. is there any dip better than spinach artichoke dip?! (maybe guacamole but that’s in a world of its own)…. this pizza looks phenominal. NEVER would have thought of combining the dip w/ pizza. :)

heather — March 15, 2012 @ 7:24 am

I am making this! Like, today!!

bridget {bake at 350} — March 15, 2012 @ 7:25 am

Yes, please! We do pizza night every Friday here. My boys don’t get very adventurous, but *I* am totally making this just for myself!

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — March 15, 2012 @ 7:27 am

Holy heavens this needs to be in my mouth within the next 48 hours! WOWZA!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 15, 2012 @ 7:34 am

Looks cheesy and delish! Yum!

Bev Weidner — March 15, 2012 @ 7:35 am

Dad. Gum. It. Woman.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 15, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I went for years without having pizza since we normally ordered it and well, I thought it wouldn’t be pizza if it didn’t have cheese. Now, I make pizza all the time and I love playing with the flavor combinations. It makes you feel like a culinary genius! My favorite flavor combination so far is hummus, sliced baked potato and green beans with fresh rosemary on top.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — March 15, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Love this!! And I don’t even care that every time I each spinach and artichoke dip, I end up with spinach stuck in my teeth … totally worth it. ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 15, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Oh wow, Mr How Sweet has got to be crazy for not eating this! I’m not a big ricotta fan either but this looks too good to pass up. Much better than chicken and ketchup! ;)

• Jessica — March 15th, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I’m not a huge ricotta fan either and you can barely tell!

Bri — March 15, 2012 @ 8:17 am

This looks soooo good. Definitely going to be on my list for this next week!

Jen S. — March 15, 2012 @ 8:20 am

OMG. This looks amazing.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — March 15, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Pretty smart… pretty dang smart gurrrl! <3

Erica — March 15, 2012 @ 8:41 am

This will melt my husband. Can’t wait to make it for him

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — March 15, 2012 @ 8:41 am

Hahahahah I hate it when my husband finds out the ingredients in my food I swear if he never knew there were mushrooms or pinto beans or butternut squash or some other thing he claims he loathes in some dish I make he would totally eat it! good try trying to fool him.

Sarah — March 15, 2012 @ 8:47 am

Do you make all your pizza on a baking sheet or do you have a pizza stone? I don’t have a stone but I really want to try some of your pizza recipes! Thanks!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:59 am

We do having a pizza stone, but I am famous for forgetting we have it and by the time I remember, the over is already preheated and I don’t feel like starting over. So yes – I make most of my pizzas on baking sheets!

Kim in MD — March 15, 2012 @ 8:51 am

Oh my gosh…that is one gorgeous pizza! Give me a chip, too! ;-)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — March 15, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Well, it is 9am and I already want pizza… this could be dangerous!

Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life — March 15, 2012 @ 9:14 am

This looks like HEAVEN! It is being bookmarked for sure!

Lindsay @ biking before bed — March 15, 2012 @ 9:16 am

Please don’t apologize for pizza. That is like apologizing that your puppy is cute. I love that you ate the middle slice first. Guess you have to cook when your husband isn’t there if you want to trick him.

DessertForTwo — March 15, 2012 @ 9:24 am

Pizza that tastes like spinach-artichoke dip?! Are you trying to make me fat?? I have to have this in my face now!

Maria — March 15, 2012 @ 9:44 am

I make a similar pizza and it’s one of my favorites!!! Can’t wait to try yours!

Cait's Plate — March 15, 2012 @ 9:46 am

That almost looks like spanikopita – which is Greek pizza with spinach, ricotta and feta! I could definitely get into this!

Caitlin — March 15, 2012 @ 9:46 am

I think you and Kevin from Closet Cooking need to have a cook off. Actually, I’ll do the judging for you. I’ll make this pizza and this his artichoke bread (http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/01/artichoke-bread.html), enjoy some alcohol, and call it a day.

Don’t remind me that it’s not even 10 am. I think this is a genius plan.

Ana_IloveTdP — March 15, 2012 @ 9:48 am

So yummy!!! I love artichokes and spinac, but I never thought of both of them together. I must give them a try :D

Cassie — March 15, 2012 @ 9:53 am

Brilliant. I cant think of anyone who would not love this.

Hannah — March 15, 2012 @ 9:54 am

OMG! I just had to comment! California Pizza Kitchen has this kind of pizza in the fozen isle, but THIS looks a million times better! I think I’ll have to go grocery shopping tonight!

Also, I’ve been a long time visitor/stalker, and I absolutely LOVE your blog! All the recipes I’ve tried have been wonderful! Thanks for the awesome read and food!

• Jessica — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:57 am

Thank you so much for reading!

Erin — March 15, 2012 @ 9:56 am

You just kicked the spinach artichoke pizza I made awhile back in the pants. But I’m totally okay with it.

Angela @ The Dancer Bakes — March 15, 2012 @ 10:01 am

This is officially the next pizza on my list. I’m drooling just looking at the photos!

Amanda V — March 15, 2012 @ 10:02 am

Thank you for experimenting and sharing your experiments with us! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — March 15, 2012 @ 10:10 am

OMG–I totally forgot about swirly straws. Those were fantastic.

And this pizza looks delicious!!

Sarah — March 15, 2012 @ 10:11 am

Ahhhh!!!! This reminds me of one of my fave late night pizza spots: http://www.yelp.com/biz/artichoke-basilles-pizza-and-brewery-new-york

If you’re ever in the city – GO HERE.

• Jessica — March 15th, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Um I want to come JUST to go there.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — March 15, 2012 @ 10:16 am

This looks divine! You are so creative in the kitchen. I will have to add this to my list of things to make asap! Thanks.

Deanna @ TheChangingHouse — March 15, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Looks delicious!!!! I’m salivating!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 15, 2012 @ 10:31 am

Beautiful photos! This is basically delicious dip on pizza, so I’m obviously in for that :)

Kelsey@ ReadySetFeast — March 15, 2012 @ 10:36 am

feed me!

honeywhatscooking — March 15, 2012 @ 10:39 am

beautiful, i love spinach and artichoke, veggies in general. :-)
    nice!

Nicole, RD — March 15, 2012 @ 10:40 am

OMMGGGGG. Jessica, this looks absolutely divine!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — March 15, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Sooo I just bought a couple cans of artichokes and have been wondering what to make with them – I guess I have the answer now!

Kelly — March 15, 2012 @ 10:57 am

How do you do it? You are the most creative person in the kitchen. You think of things that I would never begin to imagine and then once I see your creation it is like how have I not been able to think of that?

Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles — March 15, 2012 @ 11:01 am

Your pizza looks divine…especially the crust. I could definitely go for a hunk of that for breakfast… (My stomach just growled so loud that my husband heard it from the other room…)

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — March 15, 2012 @ 11:22 am

Is it possible that I love you and your food more and more with every single post that I read? Seriously. This looks perfect…and I love the idea of cutting it into small triangles for an appetizer. I want it right now. Right now!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — March 15, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I’ve gotta try artichokes, like for reals. It’s shameful that I’m yet to try. That looks so yummy :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Oatmeal Toppings – Pretend This Post is Dressed in Green!

2. Pingback: Tangent Tuesday — Koko Likes

3. Pingback: Pizza and Teen Mom « A Tasty Life

4. Pingback: 30 Minute Skillet Lasagna | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Weekend Eats & Activities » mac&cheese&peas

6. Pingback: Spinach Artichoke Pizza | bakingbandit

7. Pingback: It is really all about the Crust | therestauranter

8. Pingback: Adorable Brunch Themes with Your Neighbors | Tree Classics Blog - Artificial Tree Inspiration and Know How

9. Pingback: Shut up and let this pizza solve all the world’s problems. | life+running

10. Pingback: Link Love #5 | Wild Blue Wonder