So listen to what’s been happening to me lately.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

I’ve been seriously craving the Pizza Hut dinner box. I mean… SERIOUSLY.

Yes, Pizza Hut. Please tell me you’ve seen it advertised.

Now I firmly believe that people in this world are cut from two cloths: those who love Pizza Hut, and those who hate it. I, unabashedly, adore it and have since I was a child. Which didn’t help my cause, considering alllll my family members – including that guy I’m now married to – decided that they would rather have the hometown pizza joint’s pizza instead of the mass chain produced pie almost every.single.freaking.time.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

Okay. Whatever. I totally understand. Sometimes I want that too. I’m not saying that the hometown pizza isn’t delicious. It usually is. But Pizza Hut is, like… Pizza Hut. It’s always the same. And it’s comforting to know that if I order a pan pizza, I’m going to ingest one of the thickest but fluffiest but chewiest smothered-in-butter, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside crusts. And if I order a thin crust, I’m going to get super slim and crispy crust and pretend that I’m eating healthy pizza with extra cheese, which is delicious even if you have to eat six pieces just to feel full.

The fact is that I love food so much (I mean, like SO MUCH) that every singly solitary bite I put in my mouth? I want it to be fabulous. I want to 100% love it. I want to live it. I want it to thrill me. And more often than not, I want it to make me feel good. No… great. Or amazing.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

I am no where near a snob about my eats. It’s just that since we want to love, enjoy and FLIP OUT over nearly every bite we take? We spend time choosing what we will be eating during the week, especially if it includes going out to a restaurant. Really? We just want to freaking love it. I want to remember it.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

Hence why I’ve been suffering through each and every Pizza Hut dinner box commercial for about three weeks. Going out for a nice little date or getting a $10 dinner box? Easy delicious.

Actually, I’m lying. The real reason I’ve been suffering? Is, uh… because I was embarrassed to tell my husband that no, I really don’t want to go out for filet with lobster sauce or pear gorgonzola pizza. I’d rather sit here in my sweat pants and order the damn PIZZA HUT DINNER BOX! Food blog what?? I just caaaaaan’t stop thinking about how good it sounds.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

But that all changed this week.

As we were hanging … the commercial came on and I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I screamed “OMG I want that dinner box SO bad! I don’t know why, it just looks amazing. Pizza… breadsticks… CINNASTICKS! Ugh. I can’t even take it.”

But! But but but… he’s all “I KNOW! I’ve been craving it too. It looks so good. I want to dominate it with a liter of diet Mountain Dew. But I didn’t want to tell you because I love homemade pizza so much!”

Hmmmmm. Okay. Communication wins again.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

So… we still haven’t ordered the Pizza Hut dinner box. I think we had full plans on doing so this weekend, but… but… then I made this. A few weeks ago while traveling, my husband had a garlic bread pizza crust and didn’t really stop talking about. I didn’t stop thinking about it. I increased my go-to dough recipe a bit for a thicker, fluffier crust, then covered every square inch with melted butter and garlic and even parmesan.

Absolutely

words.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust

makes one pizza

1 1/8 cups warm water (100-105 degrees)

3 teaspoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 tablespoons honey

1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon dried basil

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 garlic cloves, pressed or very finely minced

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour, salt, garlic powder and dried basil, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but it still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work the additional 1/2 cup flour (you don’t need to use all if it is not needed) in to the dough, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a roll pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape (sometimes I use baking sheets and do rectangles or free form pizzas). Place the towel back over the dough and let sit in the warm place for 10 minutes. While the dough is rising again, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Mix it with the garlic and 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese.

Bring the dough back out and using a spoon or pastry brush, douse the outside edges with the butter and garlic mixture. You can spread the butter all over, just make sure to focus on the edges. Use it all up! Continue to make your pizza with your desired toppings. Bake the pizza for 23-25 minutes (or longer if needed, depending on your toppings), or until crust and cheese are both golden. While pizza is baking, melt remaining butter and combine with the last tablespoon of parmesan.

Remove pizza from over and immediately brush the outside edges with parmesan butter, using it all up. Sprinkle a bit of parmesan over top if desired. Serve!

Note: I realize that if you buy yeast in the packets, it can be a pain to measure 3 teaspoons. If you don’t want to do that, I suggest making a double recipe of this crust. However! I also prefer buying jars of yeast these days instead of packets, and just keeping it in the fridge, so I suggest doing that.

Garlic Bread Pizza Crust I howsweeteats.com

Yes. Really.

287 Responses to “Garlic Bread Pizza Crust.”

Melissa — June 10, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

This has become my go-to crust recipe! I’ve made is several times in the past few months and it always comes out great. I would be curious about freezing it as well – would be handy for late week nights.

Rachel — July 1, 2012 @ 11:01 am

I’ve used this a few times, and I just want to point out that this seems just about fool-proof! I’ve let the yeast sit for too long, the dough rise for too long, subbed in another sweetener, and every time it turns out ah-MAY-zing. Thanks for sharing – it’s so hard to find a good pizza dough recipe!

Rae — July 8, 2012 @ 11:54 am

This recipe is so wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing :) I am allergic to dairy and even without the cheese on it, it is still amazing!! I just throw on extra toppings to compensate for the cheese :)

Melissa — July 16, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

Okay so I have successfully made this crust with a variety of alterations. I have doubled and quadrupled it, and divided the dough and frozen it in sandwich bags. I’ve used half whole-wheat and half regular flour. I’ve found that parbaking it for 10 minutes gets the crust all the way done in my oven but my oven is very weak and that may be an anomaly. I’ve also taken this recipe and halved it, and made 2 thinner crust pizzas. This recipe is really foolproof and easily customizable!

Leigh Ann — July 20, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I just made this….and it was awesome!!! I’m wondering though if you can freeze it??? I’d love to make the dough to give to a friend who is a little under the weather, but I know it may work better for her if she freezes it…..

ALSO…..I made the crust and used it for garlic breadsticks…..amazing!!!

Annie — July 27, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

My mouth is watering, dear god this looks delicious. First thing tomorrow I’m making this!

Noelle Cagle — July 29, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

It really is delicious. I made it a second time without the garlic butter on the crust to try and be healthier… Good, but not as amazing. I will be making this again tonight, but with 1/8 of the butter for the crust recipe. Y-U-M. I’m also going to freeze some dough and see how that turns out… =)

Rosangela — July 31, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Making it right now for dinner… it smells wonderful already, can wait to bake it!

Milly B — August 25, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

I’m trying this out tonight as breadsticks with Spagetti. I have tried so many pizza dough recipes and am always disappointed. From the comments here and the delicious look of your photos, I’m hoping this will be “the one”. Thanks!

Judi — September 11, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

I noticed you were mentioning packets vs. jars of yeast. If the grocery stores in your area sell instant yeast, it’s much cheaper than jars or packets…I pay about $3 for a pound of yeast. It’s cheap enough that I can make bread whenever I feel like it.

Meggan — September 12, 2012 @ 11:47 am

I love this recipe, and use it all the time! It’s so yummy. I do have a question though.. my crust always gets HUGE! lol. What am I doing wrong?? It still tastes wonderful, I just don’t know why it rises so much. I like to think I am pretty good with using yeast as I make all of my own breads, rolls, etc, but I just can’t figure out what I am doing wrong here. Maybe I am not rolling it out thin enough? Thanks :)

• Eric — March 20th, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Poking the middle of the dough with a fork will stop it from rising once it starts cooking. If you don’t there is nowhere for the heat to escape, and the entire pizza ends up inflating. I usually do just the middle, up to where I want to the crust. That way, the crust rises, but the middle stays flat.

Jenny — September 17, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

Omg!! This is the best pizza i have ever had!!!! And so easy to make! I even made it the night before and put it in the fridge and it still turned out great!!! I dont think we will be eating pizza hut anymore! This is so much better!!!

Paris — September 18, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

first I just need to say that we are pizza hut kindred spirits – NONE of my friends like it but every time someone even mentions the word pizza my mind wanders to “the hut” .. maybe I should get some new friends..

Either way I’m excited to try your recipe as it marries my two food loves – garlic bread and pizza mmmmm

my only question is when you and your husband came to the conclusion that you both wanted the dinner box WHY did you not immediately order it

Stephanie — September 27, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

This is going to be dinner tomorrow night! I also buy yeast and keep it in the fridge. That way, I always have it. :)

Rose — September 29, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Just want you to know this sounds so yummy and I will be making it soon!

Also I have bought yeast in bulk for years… If you keep it in the freezer, then store a small jar of yeast in the refrigerator, you can keep the yeast for YEARS..

Thanks so much for this recipe.
    Rose

jessica w — January 15, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

this was very tasty and easy too!

Alyssa — January 18, 2013 @ 12:03 am

Just made this tonight and it was the flipping best pizza crust I have ever used. And here I thought all these years I was the dough goddess with a pretty good pizza crust. My problem with my crust though? It was always flimsy in the middle! Not this crust, it’s perfectly crunchy on the outside and chewy inside. The butter topping just tops the cake. I will use no other crust recipe again. Thanks for the awesome share!

Angie — January 23, 2013 @ 8:20 am

OMG, I’m a Pizza Hut lover too, and much more of one before ’94 I believe when the doughs were made fresh. Now a certain big company makes it, and it’s not quite as good, but still pretty damn good. I worked at one for a while too, so did my hubby, and I actually procured a large pizza hut pan a few weeks ago! Now I’m trying your recipe this week in my pan on the grill, can’t wait!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — February 10, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

Per your recommendation, I am making this right now. Omg the garlic crust is intoxicating and incredibly perfect.

Veronique — March 1, 2013 @ 12:02 pm

I just finished eating this, topped with oregano garlic butter and cheese, to accompany our bowls of chilli con carne. Absolutely superb. This is exactly how I like my pizza bases – crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. The best recipe I’ve found – no need to look any further. And easy. Thanks so much!

Amy — March 15, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

Found this recipe on Pinterest and made it tonight. I cheated and threw everything into the Breadmaker. What an amazing crust! This is going to be our new go-to pizza crust, and we make pizza every Friday night. Thank you for sharing this. Oh, and I love those jars of yeast also.

Rachaels Printable Daily Coupons — April 10, 2013 @ 12:08 am

Good info. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance (stumbleupon). I’ve book-marked it for later!

Unblock us Dns — April 18, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

I read this article completely on the topic of the resemblance of most recent and preceding technologies, it’s awesome article.

mackeeper scam snopes — April 26, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

I think other web page proprietors really should get this
    web site as an example , quite clean and great user pleasant layout.

contact boxes — May 12, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

Try simple games and check how your internet connection is and then move on play more games.
    It combines RPG elements and strategy for a very interesting game where you
    must stop the rows of pirates ship from making their way down
    the river. Harry Potter Hogwarts is one more entry
    into this new series of LEGO board games.

Pam — July 14, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

This is my go-to recipe for homemade pizza. I love it and so does everyone that I make it for. It’s in the oven right now! Thanks for a great recipe.

Jellyrubyted — September 12, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

Saw this on a friend’s pinterest page and decided to try it for myself…… A little corner of England salutes you!

Mary — September 25, 2013 @ 7:12 pm

This pizza was so delicious it literally pisses me off. Nothing in this world should be this AHHH-mazing. My taste buds did a jig upon placing the first piece in my mouth!!

bek — October 17, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

OMGosh. I just found this through Pinterest but laughed so hard reading your back story that I might just have to start following your blog! Thanks ;)

Aimee — October 24, 2013 @ 11:00 am

I made this crust 2 times this week and both times were great! However, I changed it up a little as I am vegan. The first time I used the white flour as called in the recipe and the second time I opted for whole wheat flour! Both were great, but my husband and I prefer the whole wheat version. This crust is the perfect combination between firm and soft.. Its definitely going the be my forever pizza crust! Thanks so much

Mary Schaufelberger — November 29, 2013 @ 6:37 pm

Can you give me a guesstimate of calories on the crust?

Holly P — December 2, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

My family and I are pizza snobs. Not fancy pizzas with spinach, or asparagus and goat cheese. No I mean we love pizza, cheesy, garlicy, tasty pizza, but it has to be good. This looks good, mouth watering, taste bud burning because you cant wait for it to cool off good. So I will be trying this, this weekend. I have been making our pizzas for years now and think I have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing.

Erin — December 12, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

I shouted out, tell your husband you want stay in pizza! And just then, I read in the article that you told him and he agreed :) lol I enjoyed the article not because of the recipe but because of the story and the suspense, and the fact that I could relate to wanting food because I’ve seen it somewhere or wanting fast food as opposed to fancy food… :) although I’m surprised you guys never ordered the box.

Stefanie — December 30, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

Your pizza recipe looked delicious but my son and I cannot eat gluten so I experimented and made this exactly the same just using gluten free flour. It makes more of a thin crust which we love but it’s delicious! We have our go to crust for pizza now. Thanks!

linda — March 28, 2014 @ 7:20 pm

I tripled this recipe and it made 4 huge pizzas. I baked them on my stone and they turned out awesome. One was with just pepperoni, one deep dish, one loaded with peppers, bacon ,pepperoni, and onions and one made into garlic bread sticks(only because I ran out of pizza sauce). Like another reviewer said, you just can’t go wrong with this recipe!

Britney — June 19, 2014 @ 9:10 pm

This pizza dough did not work out well for me. I followed everything the instructions said and found out that parts if the instructions were missing. It doesn’t tell you when to put the dough in the pan and after rolling it out I’m sitting there like okay so I should roll the dough in the pan? Also the pizza dough was way to elastic it didn’t have enough flour when I followed the instructions exactly. I left the dough in the oven for another fifteen minutes. I recommend baking the dough first then adding toppings and baking it again. Plus after following the instructions exactly the first time I took it out the oven the pizza had a undercooked middle. Very doughy with no crunch or bite. Overall with my added flour and extra oven time it was good the butter and garlic flavor was great.

Grandma Dottie — June 30, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

Without a doubt this is the best crust I have ever made and I’ve been baking for a long time. The only thing I will change next time is to use a smaller garlic clove. I’m planning to make a double recipe and freeze up 3 thinner ones. The only thing I can’t figure out is how to prebake them.

Grandma Dottie — June 30, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

This is the best crust I have ever made. Next time I will use a smaller clove of garlic. I want to make a double recipe and freeze up three. I do want to prebake and I can’t figure out how to do that and freeze them. Any ideas?

Pat Thomason — July 29, 2014 @ 1:01 am

We are PIZZA LOVERS….. For sure I will be doing this tomorrow! My spouse is always asking if they still make those “breakfast pizzas” anymore???? Well now, I’ll make the crust and he can create away!! I’m a Texas gal…. love pizza over BBQ!!

Kathy P. — August 5, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

I just made 2 pizzas using your crust. I am not able to taste it because I am allergic to wheat, but I am hearing good things so far :) The first one rose really high and now I know to poke the dough up to the crust… The 2nd one, I immediately put the garlic butter on it and popped it in the oven. I baked it first for about 15 minutes and I upped the temp to 400 F. Then I put the toppings on and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Looks so good too! Thanks for an awesome recipe and I think I will make this to make bread sticks.

Dana — September 5, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

I just discovered your blog and can’t wait to try this crust at home. Any suggestions for what to use if you don’t have a peel? I love the humorous and enthusiastic tone of your writing and that you aren’t a food snob.

I’m in heaven right now because Pizza Hut’s crust isn’t as greasy as it used to be, plus they now offer an alfredo sauce option in addition to the red. Current favorite is all veggies with alfredo sauce on original crust.

1. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

2. Pingback: Things: the “purge my browser of ridiculous amounts of” Links Edition | the Pike Place Kitchen

3. Pingback: Potty Training Guide Cooking Games For Boys Pizza | Potty Training

4. Pingback: Avocado + Ham + Egg Pizza with Garlic Bread Pizza Crust | lifes little snaps

5. Pingback: Crack seasoning. | Done With Corn by Sydney Fry

6. Pingback: Ps3 Repair Cabal Guide Quest | Ultimate Gaming Universe

7. Pingback: Stop what you're doing and look at this!*% Kerry Cooks

8. Pingback: Garlic Bread Pizza Crust | Beckster's Laboratory

9. Pingback: Link Love #5 | bluetamarai

10. Pingback: Wil Cook Pizza Temperature Time | Pizza Cooking

11. Pingback: Business Conference Skyrim Boethiah’s Calling Quest | Conference Call

12. Pingback: Business Conference Skyrim Boethiah’s Calling Quest | Conference Calls Site

13. Pingback: Paleo All Recipes Pizza | Paleo Diet

14. Pingback: 2014 Real New York Style Pizza Recipe | Pizza Cooking

15. Pingback: Garlic Bread Macaroni & Cheese Pizza | WonderJoelle

16. Pingback: Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Pizza - Best Recipe Cookbook

17. Pingback: Shit Spiral’ing | the Bulimic Baker

18. Pingback: 200 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

19. Pingback: Football Food! [200 Recipes For Football Season.] | Support Paula Deen

20. Pingback: Meal Plan #20140922 | CrustyBeth

21. Pingback: Weekend Links (Bumper Edition) on a Monday (My Bad) – 3 Oct | awkwardirishgirlblogs