So how did these scones come about?

Wellllll. Have a seat.

A handful of days ago as I was stirring my chicken meatball soup and pondering life’s great wonders such as why this jar of gummy vitamins has so many more yellow than red ones (ew, whatevs) and can anybody (no, I mean ANYBODY) truly beat out the terrificness that was Boyz II Men in the mid 90s?, I decide plain old soup would just not suffice. I needed dippers.

But not boring dippings, like plain biscuits or scones or anything. Something with some sass. Some flavor. Some knock-your-socks-off zing. !!!! Bring on the exclamation points.

I like to make things difficult. I mean, I sound like such a mentally complicated person, as demonstrated above. I know, right?

So I scanned the pantry and the fridge and all the junk on my counter that I’d been too lazy to put away, and came up with nothing. Should I look in the freezer? Why would I look in the freezer? What could possibly be in the freezer that is going to aide my bread-like dipper making process? Nothing, that’s what. Does this mean I need to clean the freezer? Does this mean I should empty the ice cube trays since we have a stone-age fridge that doesn’t make it’s own ice? Does this mean I have to suffer through frost bitten fingers in yoga?

Oh! But I’m craving something chocolate-like. And I think I stuck a chunk of chocolate in there because I wanted it good and cold for shaving purposes. Nooo… not like leg shaving purposes. Chocolate shaving purposes. Like, chocolate shaving purposes on top of a boozy cake. Don’t be silly!

I open the freezer to appease my sweet teeth and lo and behold, I spy a bag of almost freezer-burnt pesto staring back at me. This is huge, since I rarely can find the time to freeze things (too busy pondering life’s great wonders, see above) and if I actually do, discover them 14 months later encased in a beautiful sculpture of ice. But not this time… I win.

Pesto couldn’t work the magic on it’s own though. Eh, well maybe it could have, but not for me who has cheese running through her veins. And yeah, I know cheese doesn’t really run… it moreso like, clogs things… up. So who knows how much longer I’ll be here.

But whatever! I’m going to eat some scones and soup while I am. Live it up baby.

Pesto Parmesan Scones

[adapted from my go-to scone recipe]

makes about 12-16 scones, depending on how you cut them!

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

3/4 cups cold butter, cut into pieces

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup prepared pesto

2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

melted butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk, parmesan and pesto. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles, cutting into 6-8 triangles each. You can also cut out round scones or form the dough into a rectangle and cut squares. Brush each scone with melted butter.

Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds/squares). Top with butter pats.

I later accidentally realized that these would be perfect for St. Patrick’s Day… they’ll make an excellent sponge for soaking up all that green beer.

97 Responses to “Pesto Parmesan Scones.”

Bev Weidner — March 6, 2012 @ 1:09 pm

I’ve been seen scones more beautiful in all my live long days.

NO I’M BEING FOR REAL.

Lucie (Thursday Night Dinner) — March 6, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

yum! i love pesto and cannot wait to try this out. any tips for making these babies gluten free?

• Jessica — March 6th, 2012 @ 5:22 pm

I honestly have no experience baking gluten-free so I’m not sure where to begin – so sorry!

• Ann — March 12th, 2012 @ 9:44 am

Bake as directed just substitute gluten free bisquick, ours turned out great that way!

• ShannonD — April 27th, 2012 @ 10:38 pm

OR get yourself some JULES GLUTEN-FREE AP Flour. She is amazing. And also my hero.

honeywhatscooking — March 6, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

looks heavenly, almost like a biscuit… love pesto and parmesan.

Chris — March 6, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

I love how green these are! Perfect for St. Patty’s day!

Jen — March 6, 2012 @ 2:14 pm

Hmm, I have some sun dried tomato pesto in the fridge and I bet that would work too. Thanks for sharing.

Jen Marie — March 6, 2012 @ 3:22 pm

These look amazing! I was just thinking I wanted something with in your face flavor.
    These look bonkers good.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — March 6, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

I want a dozen of these, and some of that meatball soup like right now!!

Katie — March 6, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Pesto in a scone. You’ve stolen my heart again. and again. and again.

shelly (cookies and cups) — March 6, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

I haven’t ever made a scone, but I am thinking I need to. Like tonight!

adrianne (all of the above) — March 6, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

oh.my.god. these look incredible.

Cassie — March 6, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

these are some rockstar scones. i didn’t know that scones could get any better.

Kelly — March 6, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

I am really into savory foods these days…and these look perfect!! I wish I had one right now!

glidingcalm — March 6, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

mmm I love pesto!!! these sound AWESOME.

and Boyz II Men ……….I die! love all of their albums!! YES YES YES

Margarita — March 6, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

Yummy looking savory scones! These look great!

Quiche-ing Queen — March 6, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Perfect flavor combo. These look so delicious. I wish I had them in front of me right now to go with my spaghetti.

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — March 6, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

Oh my word! These look delicious. I’m always looking for new things to dip in soups. It’s like green grilled cheese, so that makes them healthy. Right? ;)

Megan @ Megan's Munchies — March 6, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

Absolutely fabulous!

Katie — March 6, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

This is just perfect. I, too, have a container of freezer burned pesto in my freezer that I’ve just been waiting to use up. These sound delicious, and they would be such a nice twist on a normal biscuit with dinner.

what katie's baking — March 7, 2012 @ 12:24 am

i’m making these ASAP!!! such a great idea!!!

brandi — March 7, 2012 @ 10:06 am

good lord. scones + pesto + cheese is probably the best combo ever. i need these!

Jackie Thompson — March 7, 2012 @ 10:06 am

These look seriously delicious! I bet they tasted that way too! I would have never thought of putting pesto in a scone but look at you — your mind works in wonderful ways!!

Lora @cakeduchess — March 7, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I just looked at that last photo before I pinned it and said…”Mmmm!” out loud. Nobody but my pups heard me and I really want a few of these. So flaky and perfect:)

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — March 7, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

I love the way that your mind works!

Cookin' Canuck — March 7, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

These are definitely scones with sass! I agree that every good bowl of a soup needs an even better dipper – and here it is!

emilie — March 7, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I made them yesterday night (I had just bought pesto, and thus thought it was a message from the universe), they were to die for. I had 3 warm pieces in a row, and could easily have kept going…
    thank you so much !!!

Becky — March 7, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

Darnit! No lie, I just purchased a kate spade bag and am now leaving for the grocery store to get the ingredients to make these. You are costing me a lot of money! You are a horrible (read: fantastic) influence! :-)

Elizabeth @ The Bare Midriff — March 11, 2012 @ 5:24 pm

These sound so freakin’ good – I can’t wait to make them with fresh pesto in the summer time!

Amber @ The Cook's Sister — March 16, 2012 @ 11:21 am

I accidentally picked up two jars of pesto the other week, and you can only eat so much pasta with a pesto sauce before you get tired of it. These scones look like a fantastic way for me to use of some of the pesto! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

eva — April 4, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

these are, hands down, my FAVORITE recipe right now. if only they shed fat.. i would eat nothing else. [;

thanks for the recipe, genius lady!
    eva.

Patti G. — April 6, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Incredible! When we made the dough I thought, ‘Way too many!” As it turns out…I should have made double! We froze the first batch in the freezer (pre-baking) and wrapped the second half and put it in the fridge. After seeing the results of the first batch, we quickly realized these might go quick at a party for 14 hungry high schoolers. Well, second batch was eaten almost directly off the baking sheet and everyone is asking for the recipe! Thanks so much!!

Hilary — July 24, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

What started as a dull, stormy summer day (bookended by crazy hot steamy days), turned into an excuse to make millions of delicious things in the neglected oven. Millions. As in, once I filled up the oven, I perused my recipe stockpile for more things to pile in the oven. Granola, garam masala sweet potato fries, buttermilk biscuits, honey cinnamon roasted chick peas (http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2012/01/23/honey-cinnamon-roasted-chickpeas/), etc, etc. But then I had all of this left over buttermilk and it was just asking to be used. And then I searched your site for buttermilk. Thank you, thank you for creating this glorious concoction. Seriously. Cheese, basil, garlic, and most importantly cheese. All in one neat little package. Of course I couldn’t decide between arugula and basil, so I used both. Heaven. I’m not sure any of these spunky little scones will make it to the end of the day. And I am OK with that. Cheers to you for knocking another one out the park!

Stephanie — March 11, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I just made these to go with potato soup – so yummy! I didn’t realize you used arugula pesto until I finished, so mine had the frozen basil pesto. Still quite delicious! It’s funny because I didn’t taste the cheese at all, but they were yummy so I can’t complain. Thanks for the delicious recipe!

Traci — March 18, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

I had never thought of putting pesto in a scone, and had actually never made savory scones before spotting this recipe. I made it tonight and made some changes (I used half white whole wheat flour and half all purpose, which I was nervous about but I thought it turned out great!), used more pesto than called for, and more pepper, too. Entirely delicious! I wanted to dip mine into soup as well but didn’t have any soup or soup-making ingredients so I dipped them into a tomato sauce I had made earlier in the week. I ate three for dinner! :]

elena @3greenonions — August 15, 2013 @ 10:22 am

Wow! I made these last week (my first attempt EVER at making scones) and they were so delicious that I had to whip up a double batch and freeze it! thanks for the recipe!

Em — January 30, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

If you chill them before you bake you will get a bigger rise in the oven! There’s science behind it or something.

1. Pingback: tasty tuesday: [green] appetizers « a cup of sass

2. Pingback: The Friday Five Countdown | Fit and Free with Emily

3. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Pesto Parmesan Scones

4. Pingback: What I'm Into {Late June 2013 Edition} - Kelly Wiggains

5. Pingback: Weekly Roundup: 5 Green Foods to Honor St. Patrick | garlic fingers blog

6. Pingback: summer quinoa salad | 3greenOnions

7. Pingback: 5 Green Foods to Honor St. Patrick | garlic fingers blog

8. Pingback: Friday Food Foto - Domaine de Kerveguen Carpe Diem Cider - Misadventures with Andi

9. Pingback: pesto parmesan scones recipe - Your Heaven for healthy food | Paleo Recipes and Easy to cook Desserts - Foodie.com