Let’s talk snacks.

There are the days when crisp, juicy apples and creamy peanut butter do the trick. Ahhh… the classic. Sprinkled with cinnamon, things get even more exciting. And that whole shebang makes you feel good too. Lots o’ energy. Winning.

I had my fair share of banana boats as a kiddo – which was simply a slice of bread slathered in peanut butter, a banana placed in the middle, and the entire thing skewered together with skinny pretzel sticks. Oh baby.

I want to be a kid again. Ugh.

Sometimes my brain wants pita chips and some sort of dip. Dip choice is significant, since things like hummus, spinach dip (vegetables what?) and anything containing or closely resembling cheese somehow sort of… disappears. In minutes? Whatever. I’m looking at you pub cheese.

Cookies… good snack. Brownies… better snack. Ice cream…. bestest snack. Chocolate fudge swirls and cookie dough pieces picked OUT of ice cream… most amazingest snack ever.

People (me) that leave cartons of picked over ice cream in the freezer… annoying snack eaters.

And there are also times when you are on your third chocolate chip covered peanut butter spoon during your 58th viewing of Friends with Benefits. Because, you know…  THAT is going to make you look like Mila Kunis from the waist down. And like, why can’t she just be my BFF for life?

Like everything else that goes on in my wacky head, I get bored with snacks. I want variety but taste. Satiety but energy. Flavor but ease. You know what? I’m super complicated. It’s annoying. What a pain.

For weeks I’ve been digesting the idea of a savory quick bread, and while my first choice was goat cheese, my local grocery store decided to revert back to the Stone Age and STOP CARRYING IT. What? Or else they are just hiding it from me. So parmesan it was. Actually, that may have been an even better idea. And roasted red peppers, since they are totally that one thing I can eat over and over and over and also classified as a vegetable. Vegetable bread! That’s what we’re eating here.

It’s easy, fairly quick and delicious when toasted and spread with hummus.

Say hello, savory quick bread.

Savory Roasted Red Pepper + Parm Snack Bread

makes one 9×5 loaf

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 cup all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2/3 cup lowfat milk

3 large eggs

1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese

1 large roasted red pepper, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a loaf pan liberally with nonstick spray.  In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, pepper, sugar and baking soda, whisking to combine. Fold in parmesan cheese.

Measure out 2/3 cup of milk, then lightly beat in eggs. Add olive oil and milk/eggs to the flour mixture, using a large spoon to mix. Add in roasted red peppers and mix until fully combined. Batter will be pretty thick, but should be wet. If needed, add in an additional tablespoon of olive oil or milk. Spoon batter into loaf pan evenly. Bake for 32-35 minutes, or until bread is set and top is golden. Let cool for 30 minutes before cutting.

Now give me a cookie.

78 Responses to “Savory Roasted Red Pepper + Parm Snack Bread.”

honeywhatscooking — March 21, 2012 @ 4:31 pm

jessica, this looks fantastic. i’m so making this… would jar roasted peppers work?

• Jessica — March 21st, 2012 @ 8:00 pm

Yes! I would just make sure to really dry them with a paper towel before using!

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf — March 21, 2012 @ 4:45 pm

This looks delicious! I have to make this as soon as possible. Thanks!

chelcie @ chelcie's food files — March 21, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

pub cheese is my favorite thing ever ughhh
    but this bread looks amazing!!
    And tell your store that not selling goat cheese is a serious crime!

Jillian @ NewlyBread — March 21, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

Oh looks so good. And especially with that white bean hummus on top!! An olive spread would be good on top too!

Kate D. — March 21, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

Saw this recipe today and immediately made it. I randomly had an extra roared pepper hanging out in the fridge. Such a good quick bread!

Lora @cakeduchess — March 21, 2012 @ 10:36 pm

Love that it is made with whole wheat pastry flour…I just picked up a fresh bag and need to make this tomorrow for a snack-delicious!:)

Heather — March 21, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Jessica,

This. looks. fantastic. Definitely trying it!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — March 22, 2012 @ 12:04 am

This sounds like a nice healthy version of pizza but in bread form. I would want to spread hummus on it or toast a slice in the oven with a slice of cheese on top. Great snack bread, and awesome flavor combos!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy — March 22, 2012 @ 12:19 am

om my good golly gosh this sounds and looks incredible. Totally craving any and all savory breads right now :)

Anna @ hiddenponies — March 22, 2012 @ 1:08 am

This looks perfect in every way! I am beyond stoked to have alll these ingredients handy…off I go!

Sandra — March 22, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Must.make.soon.

Debbie D — March 22, 2012 @ 7:26 am

Looks fab. No goat cheese in your grocery store? Get thee over to Trader Joe’s. They have a goat cheese log that is “wrapped” in tiny blueberries. Have some on multi grain crackers? To die for! Of course, now that I mention I like it, Trader Joe’s will stop carrying it. Happens every time.

Jannelle — March 22, 2012 @ 11:12 am

Just started following the last few weeks. I think we maybe twins born a few decades apart. I was wondering if a pepper with just a little more heat would be accepted by my heat loving men (hubs, son, grandson). Also, I make a jalepeno butter that would be good on this, broiled with maybe a little more parm on top for good measure.

kristi — March 22, 2012 @ 12:33 pm

It just occurred to me that I should’ve given up the chocolate chip covered peanut butter spoon for Lent.

Rachel — March 22, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

I thought that bread looked so delicious… but then you started talking about cookie dough from ice cream and chocolate chip covered peanut butter and I got so caught up in it, and I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one. I also really like peanut butter on a spoon dipped in a bit of honey… Or have the peanut butter jar open next to the Nutella and go back and forth….

Man, can you tell I’m on a diet? Cause these currently sound like the best ideas that have ever existed…

sweetmaddy — March 22, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

In Paris they have “cake au ___” and I always get one that’s with zucchini and goat cheese for a little snack. Sooo good!

Amy — March 23, 2012 @ 12:52 am

I’m totally the one who eats all the chunks out of the ice cream, or all the clusters out of the cereal box – I eat all the good stuff out of everything, drives my family crazy but I secretly think they love me for it. :P

Kristen — March 23, 2012 @ 8:26 am

omg I’m totally making this.

-by the way… was the cookie winner picked yet? :)

Caryn Crasnick-Maloney — March 25, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Made this today and it was delicious. Surprised my husband with mini-grilled cheeses for lunch – he asked for seconds!

Tessie — March 30, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

I can’t wait to try this!

1. Pingback: Friday Fun! March 23, 2012 | Cupcakes & Kale Chips

2. Pingback: Saturday Spotlight: 3/18-3/24 ~ Heatherisms

3. Pingback: Pretzel Bottomed Banana Bread Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting | How Sweet It Is