There is something I have yet to whine about on here, and it’s the fact that there are some foods in my life that I just don’t think are… worth it.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

And it’s not because I don’t like them or enjoy their taste. It’s moreso because the food to work ratio is waaaay off. A lot of work for a little food.

Take chicken wings for example. A ton of picking and peeling and tearing and chewing, a ton of mess… and all for a few little bites of chicken (and often wonderfully crispy skin mind you), sauce covered fingers, often eaten when the waitress who has her back to you is wearing shorts that wouldn’t have fit you in third grade.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Another? Those pretty little young coconuts that you can find at Whole Foods and even my scrappy local grocery store these days. Yes, I want the delectable meat. Yes, I want the water. No I do not want to chop off my arm with a machete.

I even feel this way occasionally about… artichokes.

And this one? Well this one is going to get me a lot of flack: crab legs. Oh crab legs – you are so fantastic and make for one hell of a seafood feast, but I would much rather prefer that someone else pluck me out a cup or two of fresh meat and place it directly in front of my face with a big bowl of clarified butter. Right next to my glass of ice cold pinot grigio.

But.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

The most recent one that jumped to the top my list is making those homemade chipotle burrito bowls for week night dinners. Just not feasible. I tried it a few weeks ago and between the black beans, the pintos with bacon from scratch, the long grain brown rice, the chicken, the guac, the multiple salsas, the possible carnitas… there was just TOO MUCH GOING ON. It took a good two hours to complete everything from start to finish, and when I spend that amount of time on dinner I want to be rewarded with filet, lobster, a roast chicken and twice-baked potatoes. Notice the “and.” Not or.

And no, I’m not going to give anything from my favorite bowl up. That’s one of the best things about going to Chipotle – the array of flavors and textures, all lumped together in one big pile just begging to be scooped up with a crispy chip.

When I first discovered what I can now call my favorite restaurant chain, I was strictly a burrito girl. I used to watch in awe as others ordered bowls and it just did not make any sense to me. I couldn’t even fathom not having everything smashed together in that soft and fluffy tortilla. So it’s funny that I don’t remember how or when or why it happened – the day I found myself with a bowl in hand and bag of salty chips in the other. I didn’t eat much of the bowl with my actual utensil… but instead, one by one, used those incredible chips to scoop everything up. And I’ve been a bowl girl ever since.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

The only thing that stuck from my homemade bowl was the corn salsa. I mean, guacamole already plays a large part in my life (that’s just how it works when you have to spend your savings on a half decent avocado) and if we want any the other items? We simply throw them together mid week for other meals. But this salsa… THIS salsa.

For well over six weeks I’ve been making a batch on Sunday and putting it on everything I can think of. And I do mean everything – potatoes, sandwiches, eggs.

Last night I even spooned some on top of a burger.

It’s by far my favorite topping at Chipotle, and each time I’m fairly amazed that such a simple dish takes my bowl over the top. The best part about it is that it is completely customizable. You can add more heat, add less lime or leave out the cilantro completely… since I know you’re not all into that sort of thing. The below combo is my ideal after weeks upon weeks of combining and adding and subtracting ingredients. The only thing better? Making this with grilled corn. Summer can’t come soon enough.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Just Like Chipotle’s Corn Salsa

makes a big bowl

1 12-ounce bag of frozen sweet yellow corn, defrosted and drained

2 medium-sized jalapenos, seeded and chopped (leave in some seeds for more heat if desired)

1/2 red onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)

3/4 cup fresh cilantro, torn or chopped

the juice of 2 (juicy!) limes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, mix, mix. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Add more cilantro, jalapeno or lime according to your tastes!

Note: obviously fresh corn would be the BEST option here… however I don’t have access to that at the moment… and when I do have access to it, it’s only for about 2-3 months. This was the next best thing.

Just Like Chipotle's Corn Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Now someone give me a chip.

194 Responses to “Just Like Chipotle’s Corn Salsa.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 5, 2012 @ 7:01 am

I heart chipotle’s corn salsa…although I’m a burrito girl myself. Tortilla = extra carbs = happy heather!

Mara @ What's for Dinner? — April 5, 2012 @ 7:01 am

Love this. Now I need to go buy more frozen corn :)

Michelle — April 5, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I have to make this for just about every stinkin’ family get together. I give everyone the recipe but they say they can’t make it like I do. I think they are just lazy. It’s not rocket science people!
    I add some chopped red bell pepper to it for more crunch and color. Passing the chips!

• Christin — April 5th, 2012 @ 7:17 am

hahaha…I agree with you on the laziness of people you’ve given the recipe to! Especially when it’s so easy, like this one.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — April 5, 2012 @ 7:16 am

We must be on the same wave length because I made copycat chipotle rice and am planning on posting about it next week. I did a burrito bowl this week and you’re right it is SOOOOOO much work. I’m all for going to chipotle and paying $7 instead.

Simply Life — April 5, 2012 @ 7:21 am

Oh I LOVE this salsa and always ask for extra scooped on top. And I DEFINITELY feel the same about crab – why would I pay tons of money to sit in a bib, get a dirty and spend tons of searching for the meat when it’s possible to order it that way and have someone else do the work?

Sally @ sally's baking addiction — April 5, 2012 @ 7:23 am

omg jessica, you hit the spot.. i recently had a corn salsa like this at a little mexican place around town and was dying to make something similiar… and you’re right, this would be INSANE with grilled corn. mmmmm.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 5, 2012 @ 7:24 am

Love this salsa! This would be a perfect side dish with a big fat juicy steak!!!

Kim in MD — April 5, 2012 @ 7:24 am

I LOVE Chipotle! I always get a salad, though. I’ve never had a burrito or a burrito bowl. The only way I would make a burrito bowl at home is if I had all of the components all ready made from other meals. I love all of the salsas served at Chipotle, but the corn is probably my favorite, too. Give me a chip, too…I can’t wait to make this! :-)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — April 5, 2012 @ 7:25 am

I want salsa and it’s not even 6:30 AM!!! ….Then again, salsa has been my only real pregnancy craving. So, this is KILLING ME!!!!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — April 5, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Passing this along to my cousin who is a Chipotle fanatic!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — April 5, 2012 @ 7:40 am

Wow, great mind think alike. I’m posting a similar recipe tomorrow. It uses some different ingredients, but it reminded me of the Chipotle corn salsa when I made it! I guess I’ll just have to try your version, too! My husband will LOVE it! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football — April 5, 2012 @ 7:58 am

I’ve never been to chipotle’s (there isn’t one in town) but I’ve been to Qdoba and this looks identical to their corn salsa too – which I love.

I think it would be fun to re-create a whole naked burrito complete with the cilantro lime rice and this corn salsa. Yum!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 8:00 am

All of our Qdoba’s have closed but man… I used to love that place because they had queso!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — April 5, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I love their salsa!!!!! (and everything else they make there too). Chipotle > Qdoba hands down. I have a bag of fire roasted corn from TJs in the freezer. I bet that would be awesome in here!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 8:00 am

I love that corn.

• Jennifer — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:35 am

I just used a bad of roasted corn from TJ’s in a chicken corn chili and it was great! I bet it would be fantastic in this.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 5, 2012 @ 8:04 am

Mmmm grilled corn is far, far superior to regular corn. And I totally hear ya on the food:work ratio. Another example is lobster… like honestly, why would I want to do THAT much work? I like things that can be spooned straight into my mouth… like salsa. ;)

Cassie @ Back to Her Roots — April 5, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I feel the EXACT same way about chicken wings. I never understand why people get all excited about wing night. SO MUCH WORK. SO LITTLE REWARD. Give me a leg covered in the same sauce and we’ll talk.

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — April 5, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I’m all about the corn salsa, too. Definitely going to try this with fresh corn this summer. Im drooling just thinking about it.

Sarah — April 5, 2012 @ 8:14 am

Oh my gosh! I have been searching for the best corn salsa recipe and nothing ever measures up to Chipotle. So excited to make this!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — April 5, 2012 @ 8:23 am

I am totally making this as soon as possible. Yummy. Yummy. Yummy!!

krysten @mrsachwartzkitchen.blogspot.com — April 5, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Yes! I love this stuff and make it weekly as well! We are basically corn salsa sisters.

Chris — April 5, 2012 @ 8:32 am

This. Looks. Awesome. I’ve been looking for a corn salsa to make for a party and this one seems so simple. Plus, Vermont’s first Chipotle is opening up near me, so I can’t wait to compare!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — April 5, 2012 @ 8:36 am

Ooooh, I can only imagine how tasty this will be when corn is in season this summer– YUM!

Stephanie — April 5, 2012 @ 8:46 am

No joke, I just made this last night, except I didn’t use jalapenos as I didn’t have any on hand. It’s so tasty. I just wanted to eat it with a spoon. And I agree, it’s cheaper and easier to just go there to get a bowl with all this goodness!

Leanne — April 5, 2012 @ 8:51 am

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! Seriously, this is like my fav food int he world.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — April 5, 2012 @ 9:13 am

I never understood the bowl thing either before Chipotle. We have Moe’s around here not Chipotle (unfortunately) and the bowl concept there just didn’t look appetizing at all, I was a burrito girl through and through. Then my first Chipotle experience happened and I haven’t eaten a burrito since. This salsa is about the closest I can get to Chipotle without having to drive for hours…I’ll take it :)

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:45 am

We have Moe’s but I’ve never been there… must go.

Nicole @ Sweet Peony — April 5, 2012 @ 9:13 am

I wish I could express to you how.much.I.LOOOOVE. this corn salsa! I get the salad bowls at Chipotle and always tell them to add more, more more! Totally worth the prep time to me :) Thank you sooooo much for sharing this! Also, once again, I love your photos. And you :)

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:44 am

I always ask them to add more too!

Amanda V — April 5, 2012 @ 9:20 am

The corn salsa is my favorite too!! And there is always that one bite (of onion?) that is super spicy – is that just me?

Thanks for this recipe!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:44 am

You are totally right – that always happens to me! I always thought maybe it was some jalapeno with seeds?

Chelsy — April 5, 2012 @ 9:21 am

Hunny, I feel the same damn way about crawfish…or mudbugs. Seriously? Are you telling me that I have to sit and pick and prod this little thing that has eyeballs so that I can get less than a 1/4 teaspoon of meat out. Not worth it…at all. Just please pick them for me and put the meat in a bowl of crawfish etouffee and then we can chat about it! Oh, same thing with crab legs. I just hire my mom and she does all the picking…all I have to do is dip the meat in a vat of melted butter!

Zeynep — April 5, 2012 @ 9:41 am

I also love Chipotle! I am a burrito girl as well, however… ever since high school, I’ve eaten burritos in my own special way. I lay the burrito on its side, cut it open lengthwise, and scoop out the deliciousness with chips. And THEN, when it’s all done, the tortilla has absorbed all of the delicious guacamole and sour cream and sauce, etc. so I cut it up and eat the delicious tortilla at the end. I would highly recommend this tactic!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Okay. That sounds insanely fantastic.

• Zeynep — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:46 am

I know! It’s like a bowl but with an added bonus! And now I’m craving Chipotle for lunch.

Erika - The Teenage Taste — April 5, 2012 @ 9:50 am

I’ve never been to a Chipotles restaurant, but I am a fan of any tex mex food! I could probably eat this entire recipe myself! :-P

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — April 5, 2012 @ 9:54 am

That rice in those Chipotle bowls gets me every time!
    Love the salsa – the colors are great and as usual, your pictures ROCK!!
    Enjoy your Thursday, girl!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:43 am

Thank you! Same to you.

Elizabeth — April 5, 2012 @ 10:04 am

I LOVE pretty much everything at chipotle, but the corn salsa is fantastic. While I am thrilled to have a recipe for it now, I’m a little scared to make it since I will consume so much of it!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 5, 2012 @ 10:18 am

I am definitely a bowl girl! We do Chipotle in the office every Friday. Kinda sad, but I look forward to it every week :) And I absolutely corn salsa that thing up!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 10:42 am

Um, not sad… AMAZING.

Bev Weidner — April 5, 2012 @ 10:20 am

I needed you to make this for me when I made my spicy chipotle shrimp bowls last week! WHERE WERE YOU? Oh, right. On the other side of the country.

Jill — April 5, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Oh, yum! I love Chipotle!

Shauna — April 5, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Yumm! I wish I could re-create the lime tortilla chips but i’ve tried and no luck ever. Sigh

Salsa looks amazing though!! Now where’s beveragesss!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 5, 2012 @ 10:52 am

That looks like such a great bowl of salsa. I love simple salsas (and garlic-free ones too!) that have tons of flavor.

Cassie — April 5, 2012 @ 10:53 am

I hate it when you have to work so hard for food. But this is stinking brilliant!

Katie — April 5, 2012 @ 11:00 am

You are my best friend!! I dye for this salsa – in high school I used to go get bowls of rice + corn salsa from chipotle for a snack. Hah. You just saved my wallet a buuunch of money.

(also, just saw that picture of you and Ash on her blog and I want to photoshop myself in with you guys)

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Seriously. Now THAT would be a day.

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 5, 2012 @ 11:02 am

New England fresh corn is the absolute best, I’m so spoiled out here, haha. I imagine this would be FANTASTIC with fresh corn. I’ll have to try it when corn season starts up again!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 11:06 am

We get really great fresh corn too, it just seems like we only have it for a hot 5 minuets. It’s usually the best by August and from then on I hoard it.

Aggie — April 5, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Girl. This is the best stuff. I started making it a couple of summers ago and it goes on EVERYTHING. And I’m a Chipotle salad girl, with pretty much everything on it. And the best part is the chips to scoop it all up. I totally agree. I’m starving right now. And I think Chipotle might be our dinner tonight because, why not.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — April 5, 2012 @ 11:18 am

Ok I am going to get a ton of hate comments but I am not a fan of Chipotle! Here in Texas we have Freebirds (which graced our lips WAAAYYY before Chipotle) and there is nothing else like it. The hippie atmosphere, the ‘Monster’ burritos, all the choices (4 different types of tortillas, 3 different beans, two different types of rice, lettuce or mixed greens, multiple sauces, salsa, and dressings, roasted veggies, literally the works!), the fresh made ingredients, the friendly peeps, and ice cold beer. Ahhhh! I puffy heart Freebirds! Seriously next time you are here in Texas you HAVE to go! But I do have to give it to Chipotle for their Corn Salsa. That. stuff. rocks.

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

Hey – everyone has their thing! ;)

Heather — April 5, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Your posts make me laugh out loud. I think we would be friends. Haha! We think alike. :) I will be trying this along with so many other of your recipes! :)

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 5, 2012 @ 11:40 am

I make this all.the.time and it’s amazing. I totally agree with you about the crab legs–so incredibly delicious but sooo annoying when you crack open a little arm and there’s only enough meat inside to crumble in my fingers as I pull it out. sigh.

kris — April 5, 2012 @ 11:44 am

mmm – this looks amazingg!! I’m not sure if i’ve commented before, but just wanted to say your blog is the cutest! :)

sara — April 5, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Yum, this salsa looks wonderful! Bet it would be amazing with grilled corn!

Ashley — April 5, 2012 @ 11:55 am

I’m pretty sure this would go fabulously on top of the roasted sweet tater/cheese/mushroom/egg lunch!!

Becky J. — April 5, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

“Makes a big bowl” I love that!

I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a burrito from Chipotle…I think I was trying to save calories or something by getting the bowl. And then I proceeded to eat it with the chips instead of a fork. Oh well!

Laurel C — April 5, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

I used to work at Chipotle, and made all of the salsas every morning. Your recipe is almost spot on!! The only difference with Chipotle’s corn salsa is that they use roasted corn with poblanos…..but really, what’s the diff, this looks awesome!

• Jessica — April 5th, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

Seriously?! How exciting! I never thought of the poblanos – I will give that a try too!

Katrina — April 5, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

Mmmm sounds delightful!

Chris — April 5, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

That is EXACTLY how I eat my Chipotle carnitas bowl. The fork is merely an instrument of ingredient distribution.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Craving Corn « With love to Pep Pep

2. Pingback: what’s cooking? « spill the beans

3. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Food, Family, and Fun - Recipe: Corn Salsa | Cooking for My Kids

4. Pingback: Thursday Things | Newman's Corner

5. Pingback: One Pan Sticky Thai Chicken Wings | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Sticky Thai Chicken Wings. | Lifestyle Pins

7. Pingback: 005: Corn «

8. Pingback: Eat Local Meal Plan Week of July 1st

9. Pingback: So, this recipe calls for some cooking…… | Pray, Madam, are you a Post-Grad?

10. Pingback: Why? Fresh Fork! | Why CLE?

11. Pingback: Tempeh Taco Salad (GF) | fueled by vegetables

12. Pingback: Tequila Lime Flank Steak Fajita Salad with Chile Lime Vinaigrette. | Food & Recipes

13. Pingback: Orange Spinach Salad and Stuff | Where the Heart Leads

14. Pingback: Blackened Tilapia | dcuk365

15. Pingback: Eat to Live Week 2 Day 4 | Michelle Getting Healthy

16. Pingback: Chicken tacos. | My hungry hungry husband

17. Pingback: 35 Vegetarian Recipes for Cinco de Mayo (+ 10 Bonus Margarita Recipes) | Kitchen Treaty

18. Pingback: Corn Salsa | A Teaspoon of Happiness

19. Pingback: Trader Joe’s Hack: Corn Salsa | Dootsie

20. Pingback: Must Try Recipes from Pinterest | The Work at Home Wife

21. Pingback: Fresh Corn Salsa

22. Pingback: Quick & Healthy Burrito Bowl | Toned & Fit

23. Pingback: Machaca Tacos with Fresh Salsas | everything in between

24. Pingback: Restaurant Recreation: Chipotle Inspired Burrito Bowl | Young Foodies

25. Pingback: Slow-Cooker Pulled Chicken & Smoky Pulled Chicken Tacos | Floptimism

26. Pingback: Cilantro Corn Salsa – Chipotle Copycat Recipe | Pink Troll Kitchen

27. Pingback: Poblano Chicken Casserole | Floptimism

28. Pingback: Fiesta! | The Work at Home Wife

29. Pingback: Steak Tacos and Just Like Chipotle’s Corn Salsa | Pasta Princess and More

30. Pingback: Black Bean + Cornbread Panzanella Salad - FoodVox.com