Do you know the muffin man?

Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze I howsweeteats.com

I do I do I do.

Probably a little too well… especially after he delivered these muffins.

If you know what I mean.

Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze I howsweeteats.com

I’m also blaming the muffin man for making me drive to my parents’ house last night to eat Easter leftovers where I proceeded to pour gravy over my turkey-filled CROISSANT. Oh wait, CROISSANTS. Croissants with an “s.” I had two. This may rival the whole gravy on french fries things. What I did can only be described as pouring salty fat on top of layers of butter.

And the worst part is that now? It’s all I ever want to eat for the rest of my life. I see no problem here.

Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze I howsweeteats.com

You know what? I succeed at taking something fairly healthy and dousing it in brown butter or a delicious brown butter-like substance. Right?

Embrace it. It’s the easiest solution.

It’s not going anywhere.

The good news is that I fly through bananas like whoa. Healthy stuff! As one of my favorite fruits, the fact that they sit out on the counter directly in my line of vision – since I spend my entire life inside the walls of my kitchen – only helps their cause. Maybe if I could leave spinach or broccoli or something else green sitting out on the counter I’d eat more of it? Because we all know that my crisper drawer is where produce goes… to DIE.

So if you don’t feel like making muffins I am here to tell you that it’s totally appropriate to whip together some brown butter glaze and lick it off a spoon. That’s what I’m for: your sanity.

Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze I howsweeteats.com

1 large egg

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled

2/3 cup milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside. Line a muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar together until smooth and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract, butter and milk, whisking again until smooth, then stir in mashed bananas. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 of the way full with batter (I use a 1/4 cup measure to get the muffins to be of equal size).

Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are no longer wet and become slightly golden. Remove and let cool until comfortable to the touch.

Brown Butter Glaze

1/4 cup unsalted butter

1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Heat a small saucepan over medium-low heat and add butter. Whisk constantly until melted, then continue to whisk as bubbles form, the butter begins to foam, and eventually brown bits appear in the bottom of the pan. This will take about 5-6 minutes total. As soon as the brown bits appear, remove from heat. I always stir for an additional 30 seconds or so. Let cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl combine brown butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Whisk until the mixture comes together then add in 1 tablespoon of milk, continuing to mix. I always stir my glazes for a good 3-4 minutes so they really come together. If it still doesn’t appear glaze-like, add in milk 1/2 tablespoon at a time and mix again. Don’t worry if it becomes too liquidy – just add a tiny bit of powdered sugar until you get the desired consistency. Spoon glaze on warm muffins or dip each top in the glaze, then serve.

Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Chocolate chips also aren’t terrible when studded inside. Just a thought.

93 Responses to “Whole Wheat Banana Spice Muffins with Brown Butter Glaze.”

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 10, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

Brown butter is my favorite secret ingredient :)

Cassie — April 10, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Gorgeous! I can’t resist that drippy glaze falling from the muffins. Scrumptious.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — April 10, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

Brown butter makes it extra special! YUM!

Quiche-ing Queen — April 10, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

Crave worthy! That glaze looks so delicious on these muffins. Yummy!

terri — April 11, 2012 @ 8:08 am

seriously, can you be any cuter??? your post made me laugh this morning when i really needed it. i love that the hubs came home with a bag chuck full of anthro goodies. yes. i just said chuck full.
    anyway, i live in ohio, where THEEEE, jenis originated and OHHH MY HEAVENLY tastebuds. i love the salty caramel. to. die. for. but the goat cheese strawberry was my fav. A-MAZING. i have made the best bites two ingredient ice cream and have incorporated jenis crazy flavors into this. quick fix for way cheap! thanks for the muffin recipe. hopefully the healthyness of the bananas will cancel out all of my pre and post easter eats i have been doing! xo

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — April 11, 2012 @ 10:39 am

I’ve never used brown butter, but this post may have just inspired me to do so. You’re so creative…love it!

B Bradley — April 11, 2012 @ 10:43 am

This is not a whole grain recipe!! Whole wheat pastry flour is NOT whole grain … To be whole grain it must state it as exactly that – whole grain whole wheat.

• Erin — March 21st, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

Actually, it is whole grain. Whole wheat pastry flour is whole grain *soft* wheat flour; non-pastry whole wheat flour is whole grain *hard* wheat flour. WWPF packages always say “whole grain,” but most bakers won’t necessarily include that detail when they generously share their recipe with us. :)

Kayleigh — April 11, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

I just wanted to let you know that Pinterest brings me to you all the time. I see something that looks amazing, click, and here you are! Keep up the amazing recipes!

bridget {bake at 350} — April 12, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Oh my. I DO know the muffin man….too well. As a matter-of-fact, in tribute to him, I grew a muffin top. ;)

I’m a little in love with these muffins. And I see several bananas on my counter… Oh, this is happening.

Wenderly — April 12, 2012 @ 8:54 am

One word. Yum.

Julia — April 12, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

I have these in the oven right now! The batter taste I had was delicious so I hope they turn out as great as I expect them to!

Dana B — April 13, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

These look soooo good. Ever worked with non-gluten flours? Do you think quinoa flour would work??? My 10 yo is now trying gluten-free to see if it helps him (he’s been sick for months :( ). Baking with these other flours is quite different tho. I’m thinking this muffin might be a good place to start since they’re getting their rise from the baking soda.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 14, 2012 @ 11:43 am

Cool – I’ve never had a muffin with a glaze!

Tracy — April 16, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

That glaze is KILLING me. Also, I love cardamom. I’m making these tomorrow.

Lynn at Order in the Kitchen — April 16, 2012 @ 9:53 pm

these are amazing…i waited ALL week for my bananas to ripen to make these! thanks so much, they are cooling but i may just have to burn my mouth to taste it :)

April at Domestic Knitter Designs — April 29, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

I agree with a previous commenter – it seems like most of the yummy recipes I repin bring me here! I just made these and they are so delicious! I didn’t have any cardamom, but since I’m definitely making these again, I’ll have to get some. Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Paige Nicole — August 28, 2012 @ 7:28 pm

i love that as i was reading this recipe i was thinking ‘i wonder if chocolate chips would be good with all that spice’ .. & then i get to the bottom. & you’ve covered that for me. = less guilt. :]

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove — September 11, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I just made these, without the glaze, and they are delicious! The perfect muffin! As always, another keeper :)

Jocelyn — October 5, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I am not a very healthy person and I don’t feel like searching for the whole wheat pastry flour. Could I do bread or ap flour or even white pastry flour? Ehat would be the equivilant

• Jessica — October 5th, 2012 @ 11:27 am

All purpose works perfectly!

Brianna — October 13, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

Oh my word, I made these last night for my husband and his buddy, and they now think I walk on water :) The muffins are not overly sweet (my problem with most muffins), and that brown butter glaze is going to go on EVERYTHING I make this autumn. WOW. You are amazing!!

Kimberly — February 25, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Just made these. Your muffins + browned butter glaze = a total revelation!!!! Seriously delicious. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Erin — March 22, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

Um, I really want to eat a third one of these from the batch I made today, but I really shouldn’t, should I? Dee-lish. I skipped the glaze, but I’m sure it’s delectable. Thanks for the recipe! I use whole wheat pastry flour for everything that calls for AP flour, too – you don’t even need to convert amounts. It just works perfectly.

Danilo Waggy — April 21, 2013 @ 4:27 am

Worldwide, there is no sharp distinction between “bananas” and “plantains”. Especially in the Americas and Europe, “banana” usually refers to soft, sweet, dessert bananas, particularly those of the Cavendish group, which are the main exports from banana-growing countries. By contrast, Musa cultivars with firmer, starchier fruit are called “plantains”. In other regions, such as Southeast Asia, many more kinds of banana are grown and eaten, so the simple two-fold distinction is not useful and is not made in local languages.*

My favorite web blog

Rachael — March 2, 2014 @ 7:02 pm

Topped these muffins with the oatmeal crumble from the bourban apple pie yo made a while ago, then drizzled the glaze over it all… SO yum! Thanks again for another fabulous recipe!

1. Pingback: muffins | Pearltrees

2. Pingback: Sugar Free Whole Wheat Banana Spice Mini Muffins

3. Pingback: » The Sunday Brunch Buffet 5/13/2012 The Live-In Kitchen

4. Pingback: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins | How Sweet … | Chocolate

6. Pingback: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. | Lifestyle Pins

7. Pingback: Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

8. Pingback: Brown Butter Glazed Banana Spice Muffins « Kids in the Sink

9. Pingback: Mini Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Muffins. | Lifestyle Pins

10. Pingback: Apple Spice Banana Muffins with Brown Butter Cider Glaze | Veggie and the Beast

11. Pingback: » Whole Grain Banana Spice Muffins Brownies and Zucchini

12. Pingback: Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Coconut Cinnamon Streusel. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Banana Spice Muffins | Ciao Bella!

14. Pingback: Banana Bread Scones | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Apple Banana Muffins with Brown Butter Cider Glaze | Veggie and the Beast

16. Pingback: Banana Streusel Muffins | How Sweet It Is