Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Muffins.
These banana oatmeal muffins are the fluffy comfort food you need!
They are hearty and satisfying.
A perfect breakfast, snack or night time treat! Lovely with a pat of melty butter.
If you haven’t noticed, we’re having a leeeettle obsession with muffins right now. It’s not me, I swear. Okay, maybe it’s me a little bit.
A quick grab-and-go homemade muffin is pretty much the perfect snack while pregnant.
But! It’s also the kids. They LOVE making muffins. In fact, I think they like making muffins more than they like making cookies or cupcakes. Max is especially fond of baking and making different flavors of muffins is his favorite thing to do after school.
If you have followed along with my week in the life posts, you may have noticed that every other week or so, we make pumpkin or banana muffins. I shared the pumpkin version a few weeks ago and today, we have the banana! Many of you asked for these and instead of throwing the ingredients in the comments, I’m sharing it all here for you.
Honestly not even sure which I love more – the pumpkin or the banana. Both are so delish. I actually made the banana muffin based on the pumpkin muffin recipe, so I knew it would be good. Of course, the kids are partial to adding chocolate chips in the batter.
Not going to say I mind one bit…
However, these banana muffins (and the pumpkin ones!) are just as good without the chocolate chips too. They are just the best bite.
After testing the banana muffin quite a bit, I determined that it needed something else. Almost like it needed more “chew” – but that doesn’t necessarily make sense for a muffin. So I went with oats and they ended up being the perfect add-in. They add a (good) texture to the muffin with just the slightly amount of chew. In a great way!
They also make the muffins a bit heartier and more satisfying. I find these to be a really great snack – whether it’s in the afternoon or even before bed. I actually think I’ll be making batches often when the baby is born because they are the perfect nursing snack.
Like a little snack of sweet sustenance!
This isn’t my first foray into banana muffins, of course.
The banana oatmeal muffins here are a bit simpler and straight to the point.
If I get out all the ingredients the kids can mix them up themselves. Throw it all in a bowl and go! On Fridays, sometimes I’ll throw one in Max’s lunchbox as a treat too.
It’s like snack dessert and I’m here for it.
Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil, or another flavorless oil, or even coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas, about 2 large or 3 medium
- 1 cup chocolate chips, (milk, dark, a mix of both, whatever you like!)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda, powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugars until combined. Whisk in the oil and vanilla extract until combined. Whisk in the mashed bananas.
- Stir in the dry ingredients with a spoon until just combined - do not overmix. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾ of the way full. Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, or until set in the center. Let cool before serving!
Annnnd that chocolate…