It’s Monday and I’m going to beg you.

banana streusel muffins I

If I was to be a creeper in your kitchen I would secretly bake these for you while you were still sleeping. Not only could you wake up to, um, hello – MUFFINS – but you could wake up to the aroma of a banana breakfast that is really a treat. And a nutjob in your kitchen, but whatever. That’s neither here nor there.

Let’s talk about crumble. Or streusel. Or whatever you want to call it. Why does it have to be so perfect? Why does it take cakes and more specifically, anything breakfast labeled over the top? Why do I want to eat an entire pan of cooked crumble and not care about what’s beneath it? It makes everything ten trillion times better.

In other news, my exaggerations are becoming astronomical.

banana streusel muffins I

The good news is that I definitely care about what’s under the crumble here.

The bad news is that I just ate all the crumble anyway and didn’t leave you any.

I am totally crazy over ALL things banana right now. Bananas and peanut butter on toast, of course. Banana bread. Bananas in my yogurt. I even ate a banana and nutella (yes, I’ve always sworn that I hated nutella) crepe on Saturday and it was like… lifeblood. So fantastic.

banana streusel muffins I

These little faux breakfast cupcakes are just kinda like banana bread with a crumbly, crunchy topping. To seriously die for. I immediately popped about three right into my mouth immediately and suffered severe taste bud burns and it was COMPLETELY worth it. Slathered with a little unsalted butter: even better. Heaven heaven heaven.

I mean these are totally a breakfast food and should be treated as such. Like maybe… made thrice a week. Duh.

banana streusel muffins I

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside. Line a muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, whisk the egg and brown sugar together until smooth and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract, butter and bananas, whisking again until combined. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in the milk and mix until just combined. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 of the way full with batter (I use a 1/4 cup measure to get the muffins to be of equal size). Top them with the crumb topping.

Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are no longer wet and become slightly golden. Remove and let cool until cool to the touch.

crumb topping
To make the crumb topping, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, salt and melted butter until combined. Whisk for a a good minute or two until the sugar begins to dissolve, then use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour. The mixture will be crumb-like and dry. Almost like a sludge or paste. This is what you want! Sprinkle the crumb on top of the cake.

[adapted from these banana spice muffins]

banana streusel muffins I

plus they are SO FLUFFY!

79 Responses to “Banana Streusel Muffins.”

Carol at Wild Goose TEa — August 27, 2014 @ 5:58 pm

My two pups would love it, if crept around our kitchen. First they would get to bark at an ‘intruder’. Oh Joy. But then when that was settled they could beg for treats in the middle of the night, when their Mommy—that would be me—was sleeping. I of course would be delighted to wake up to the aroma. But Dang Nabit, I better have streusel on my delectable muffins.

Emily @ Life on Food — August 28, 2014 @ 12:29 pm

A nut job is welcome in my house anytime if they make me breakfast :)

Virginia — August 29, 2014 @ 9:52 am

These. Were. AMAZING!!!! Made them for house guests!

Leah — August 30, 2014 @ 9:31 am

These look awesome!! I’ve always struggled with making the perfect crumb topping and I’ve never tried melting butter – I will have to give this a go!!

Jessica — September 1, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

I made these today and not only did I love them, but my one year old devoured one as well! Great recipe!!

Robyn — September 3, 2014 @ 7:30 am

These were just ridiculously good. Fluffy, moist, so much banana flavor without being overpowering. Just. Ridiculous.

Larry — September 5, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

OMG I WOULD EAT THEM ALL. Especially with butter.

Maria Caira — September 7, 2014 @ 8:15 pm

Hey!!!! I just ordered your book, finally, I know!!! So I probably missed out on having you sign it so I was wondering where your book tour is taking you?? Thanks so much for your funny and refreshing writing!!

Meg Jones — September 10, 2014 @ 8:18 am

I made these last weekend for a camping trip and they were a huge hit. That crumb topping is out of this world!

Sarah — October 16, 2014 @ 12:32 pm

I made these and they were delicious! I tried the topping once as directed 1 1/2 cups flour, and it the consistency wasn’t sand like. Then I used 1/2 cup flour and it was perfect. Was the 1.5 cups an error?

Laura — November 14, 2014 @ 11:01 am

hahah I failed at these spectacularly!! I took them out after the recommended cooking time but they still looked super raw in the middle (in hindsight this was probably just the banana-y texture tricking me?) anyhow, I put them back in for god knows how long and they ended up SO solid and over cooked oops!

Very tempted to try again though… :)

Katie H. — November 19, 2014 @ 11:42 pm

What about adding chocolate chips?

Pat — December 7, 2014 @ 2:05 pm

can these muffins be frozen

Lori — July 19, 2015 @ 10:24 am

Just made these for the first time and they are SO GOOD! Super moist and full of banana – great recipe!

Emily m — August 2, 2015 @ 10:43 am

Made these yesterday and they are fantastic. I ended up doing half all-purpose and half whole wheat flours for both the muffins and the crumble topping. Might have made them a little drier, but no less delicious. I have gotten used to using the whole wheat flour so it doesn’t bother me. Once you warm one and slather butter on it what’s the difference!? :) I also only had enough butter for the crumble so I subbed applesauce in the muffin mix. Worked perfectly. Two thumbs up from both my girls, so this is a keeper! Did anyone else have twice as much crumble as you needed? Oh and I did a dozen regular muffins and had enough mix for 8 mini muffins. I always like to do some minis since I have a toddler.

clarks_mom — August 16, 2015 @ 10:25 am

These look fab! And perfect for my son’s lunch box for the first week of school…

1. Pingback: Banana Streusel Muffins | How Sweet It Is | Pots, Pans and Proverbs

2. Pingback: Weekly Menu August 25 | PB & Pinot

3. Pingback: Friday Faves

4. Pingback: What I Ate (& Read) Wednesday 09.03.14 | foodiEcology

5. Pingback: Hey, good lookin’… | Silver Linings

6. Pingback: Pipe Dream #297: To Fellowship Embarrassingly – Banana Streusel Muffins + Anthro | piping dreams

7. Pingback: Apple Cinnamon Crumble Muffins