Guess what I did yesterday!?

Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze I howsweeteats.com

Something really fun.

I… spent about thirty minutes walking around the extended parking lot at the airport looking for my car.

Awesome.

I rarely drive myself to the airport (huge baby), so when I did just that on Thursday morning (like um, MORNING-morning. like 4AM.), I found a spot, pulled in, yanked my luggage behind me in a sleepy stupor and walked my way to the terminal.

Then… somewhere over some plains or something – or whatever it is I have to fly over to get to the West coast – it dawned on me that the airport parking lot is like, sort of big. And it sort of all looks the same. Especially in the dark at 4AM. When you don’t drink coffee and also have on your glasses that make you look like an awkward 11-year old.

Frantically, I texted my husband who told me that security could probably help me and to not worry about such silliness over the weekend. (Okay, whatever, I’m a complete nutjob and have anxiety about the jacket I will wear to the gym later and the lunch I want to make in four hours, but yeah… whatever.) So I didn’t, until I was up in the air yesterday with my ears popping ten million times over and with an idiotic scarf wrapped around my neck which was simply perfect for the 90 degree weather. I always fit in so well.

Soooo yes… that was my afternoon delight. I didn’t ask security because I figured “Oh! I’m SURE I will find it easily!” and then proceeded to walk around the entire lot pressing the panic button on my key. Stubborn what?

And I wish I could tell you that we ate something as delicious as these burgers last night when I got home, buuuut… we had Chinese take-out. It was just what I wanted, but not nearly as delicious as what you see here. Aside from surviving solely on blackberry grilled cheese’s last week, I also ate a good handful of these burgers since I was living the single lady life. It’s weighing heavily on me that this is my THIRD portobello burger recipe, because truly? It isn’t my all-time favorite way to eat them. But when paired with English muffins, they are like… my livelihood. The crust is what counts.

The muffins are so crunchy and the crevices provide just enough bread, but not too much SOFT bread that can be totally weird with the portobello texture. And then there is asiago. And roasted reds. And glaze! There is just something about this combo that is truly outrageous, Jem-style. These are inspired by a dish at one of our favorite local restaurants and well… they were so delicious that it’s annoying me. Really.

Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze

makes 4 burgers

4 large portobello mushrooms

3 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 medium roasted red peppers

4-5 ounces sliced asiago cheese

4 multigrain English muffins

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

Add vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid reduces by about half and is slightly syrupy. Remove from heat, pour vinegar in a bowl or glass to pour, and set aside to cool and thicken.

In a small bowl mix together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, smoked paprika and onion powder. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Drizzle portobellos with the remaining olive oil and add a bit to the skillet. Brush tops of mushrooms with olive oil/paprika mix and place mushrooms top-down to cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly juicy. Flip, add asiago slices to the top and cook for 5 minutes more, or until mushrooms are evenly cooked and juicy and cheese is melted. Toast english muffins, place mushrooms on top, cover with roasted red peppers and drizzle with the glaze. Eat!

Be annoyed. Eat a burger.

95 Responses to “Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze.”

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 11, 2012 @ 7:05 am

I love that you used an English Muffin! Actually I never seen one look so pretty!! Love this sandwich, it just looks gorgeous!!! Happy Monday to you!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 11, 2012 @ 7:09 am

These look amazing!!! I’ve never driven myself to the airport, but I would definitely be paranoid I would forget where I parked. I’m awful with stuff like that.

Katrina — June 11, 2012 @ 7:25 am

I am a biiiig fan of these burgers. They’re delightful!

Simply Life — June 11, 2012 @ 7:28 am

oh I have definitely had similar instances at the airport :)

Elizabeth — June 11, 2012 @ 7:37 am

I love using an English muffin. Buns so often just get soggy and gross. English muffins do have that awesome crustiness to them.

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Box — June 11, 2012 @ 7:38 am

I can’t stand mushrooms, but you’ve got me craving these burgers! Pinned and can’t wait to try.

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 11, 2012 @ 7:39 am

Been there. Thinking that you can totally find it, walking the parking lot back and forth acting like you know where you’re going, while sweat drips down your forehead, trying to find the best curb you will surely have to sleep on because the car will NEVER show it’s face.
    Yep, been there.

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free — June 11, 2012 @ 7:49 am

That has definitely happened to me before and I will never, ever ask for help because I’m convinced that if it’s not there, someone stole it. Totally not dramatic or anything.

Can’t wait to make these burgers! Roasted red peppers = love.

Gen — June 11, 2012 @ 8:00 am

yum! those burgers look awesome!!!!!!

Kim in MD — June 11, 2012 @ 8:01 am

Airport parking lots are huge, and that has happened to me before, too! This portobello burger looks amazing, Jessica. I love the english muffin!

Caryn — June 11, 2012 @ 8:02 am

Love the Jem reference.

Joy — June 11, 2012 @ 8:02 am

So one time I drove myself to the hospital thinking I’d be in and out – well I was admitted (for a month) and then had to find my car… I felt like an idiot as I went to the wrong garage (ummm bonehead)
    And now that I think if it why didn’t my husband take the car home…

• Jessica — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Oh my gosh… ha!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 11, 2012 @ 8:05 am

Yumm looks lovely! I’m going to be driving myself to the airport in August for the first time (I usually take a shuttle but they’re getting too expensive now) so I will be sure to remember this incident when I go. Even at the mall, I’m “that girl” that comes out and keeps pressing the auto-lock button on my keychain, then searches around the carpark looking for my flashing lights. You’re not alone! ;)

Stephanie — June 11, 2012 @ 8:07 am

literally in my fridge:
    portobellos
    english muffins
    red peppers
    asiago cheese

Also, speaking of blackberry grilled cheeses…i made them on english muffins. because i don’t buy bread. because i have a habit of eating the entire loaf in one sitting. and oh my god they are awesome.

• Jessica — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:19 am

Ha! That is amazing.

Maureen — June 11, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Only you could make an English muffin look so fancy schmancy! Great recipe!

BinomialBaker — June 11, 2012 @ 8:22 am

I love bello-burgers! These look fantastic!

Amanda at the red table — June 11, 2012 @ 8:25 am

I’ve only eaten portobellos as a burger (and that’s a feat in and of itself since I don’t like mushrooms — or at least I say I don’t). I’ve never made them at home, but maybe I should give it a try since these look ah-mahzing.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — June 11, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I’m so paranoid about “losing” my car in an airport parking lot that I always right down explicit notes on where I parked, to the point of true nerdiness.

These shroomies look good – I always marinate mine but I’m going to go the route you went next time. Smoked paprika always makes everything heavenly!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 11, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Losing my car in a parking lot… a massive airport parking lot… is like, my worst nightmare! And something that would totally happen to me.

These portobello burgers look great, especially with that thick balsamic glaze + toasted crunchy english muffins… i love english muffins, but have never seen them look so fancy schmancy!

Laura — June 11, 2012 @ 9:01 am

A balsamic glaze? Oh ya, I can see why these would be super amazing!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — June 11, 2012 @ 9:08 am

I can totally have this for breakfast with arunny egg on top!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — June 11, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Yup, always hitting the panic button to look for my car, even in mall parking garages. It’s a problem.

Paige — June 11, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I never thought of english muffins with portobellos. It sounds perfect. Thank you

Joy — June 11, 2012 @ 9:53 am

I just want to crunch right into these things.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 11, 2012 @ 10:11 am

you know, that sounds exactly like what happened to me after foodbuzz. denver’s airport parking is ridiculous and i didn’t even remember what lot i was in and TOTALLY turned down like 5 security guys who were offering to help me find my car. and then i called nate and told him (seriously) that i thought my car had been stolen.

45 minutes later i found it. oops.

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — June 11, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Glad you finally found your car! Also I could eat balsamic glaze with a spoon. So good.

janetha @ meals & moves — June 11, 2012 @ 10:23 am

Mmmm yum! This reminds me of a caprese sandwich I had in Oregon over the weekend. So yum. Also, loved seeing the IG photos of you all over the place. Sure wish I’d been in Seattle!

• Jessica — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:17 am

I wish you were too!

Stephanie — June 11, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Glad you found your car! And enjoyed these portobello burgers!

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen — June 11, 2012 @ 10:56 am

I’m so making these with goat cheese. Thanks! Also, the nooks and crannies in the english muffins totally
    make them perfect for burgers.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 11, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Gorgeous! I adore portobello burgers. And so love that you used English muffins!

samantha @ peach in the city — June 11, 2012 @ 11:16 am

Those burgers are CALLING MY NAME

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — June 11, 2012 @ 11:17 am

What an amazing burger! I’ve not been craving meat as much as I usually do, so this looks just perfect. …Sorry about the airport situation–so frustrating.

ellenbcookery — June 11, 2012 @ 11:43 am

These look so good. I’m sure they’d taste good as a salad, without the English muffins too!

HeatherChristo — June 11, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Oh No! I’m so sorry- that is terrible about your car. How annoying. These burgers make me so happy. I am a single mom all week and Pia and Coco are actually obsessed with mushrooms, so I may make a play for them to try them burger style and see how it goes. If not well, I will eat all three. Miss your lovely face already.

• Jessica — June 11th, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Um, I’m getting back on a plane immediately to come eat mushrooms with you, Pia and Coco. I miss you more!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 11, 2012 @ 11:59 am

I love how completely honest you are about life and your goings on lol. Too funny.

Kim — June 11, 2012 @ 11:59 am

Wait… I’m not the only one who gets anxious thinking about what I’m going to eat in 4 hours?!

Amy's Cooking Adventures — June 11, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

This looks amazing! Oh I wish I would’ve bought those portobello caps at Sam’s! Oh darn…a reason to go back!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 11, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

I love every.single.thing in this recipe from the mushrooms to the peppers to english muffins to balsamic glaze. I could seriously drink it! :)

Carly — June 11, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago. I walked out of the terminal into the parking garage, went to where my car was parked (I had even taken a picture so I would remember!) and it wasn’t there. Convinced my car was stolen, I called my boyfriend crying. He then reminded me that I was parked on the 5th floor, not the 2nd. Ha!

On a related note, I have no idea who in their right mind would steal a 2002 (horribly dirty) Nissan Altima. But it made sense at the time.

Alyssa — June 11, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

Sounds like a great way to switch up the typical summer burger!

Redd H from Salted Spoon — June 11, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

Swoon! These look stunning! I’m a big fan of portabello burgers, so no arguments here about having multiple recipes.

I’ve done the same thing in an airport parking lot before, finally calling security for a location on my car. The best one though was when I was leaving a hospital at midnight after my goddaughter was born and I had been fretting there for 20 hours. That time, I had to drive around with security in their little golf cart. Oh the shame!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 11, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I hate driving myself to the airport too. And am filled with anxiety every time I have to find my car after leaving it alone for days. I don’t know why, but I’m always genuinely shocked that it’s still there. Safe and sound, right where I left it.

kaceyt @ om&nom — June 11, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

just happen to have some portobellos in the fridge right now…i love it when life is easy like that:)

Moni Meals — June 11, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Oh man, I’m glad I’m not the only one. ;) I have done that so many times!! But onto this burger, I could seriously this every day. Awesome recipe.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — June 11, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

I love healthy(ier) burger options! These would be a delicious Meatless Monday treat too!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — June 11, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Mmmmm I want this right now! Who needs meat when you can grill mushrooms? ;)

Ashley — June 11, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

OH good gosh. I seriously want that right this very instant.

SarahSmile — June 11, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

You know you’re hilarious when…..I read through the entire post just for your story when I totally despise mushrooms. don’t hate me. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 11, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

english muffins are SO underrated when it comes to using them as a ‘bun’ for burgers of any kind! YUM

Madeleine — June 11, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

I made these tonight for my meat lovin’ husband and he approved! and so do I. these are so good. Thank you!

• Jessica — June 12th, 2012 @ 6:46 am

So glad you liked them!

1. Pingback: Ten Thursday Things | Live and Love To Eat

2. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts | Live and Love To Eat

3. Pingback: Portobello Sandwiches with Asiago and Roasted Red Peppers « Fresh From …

4. Pingback: Make this. Stat. | lolavida

5. Pingback: Dinner for Two: Asiago Portobello, Roasted Red Pepper & Balsamic Burgers. | haute + healthy

6. Pingback: Portobello Burger w/ Balsamic Glaze | It's Good to be the Cook

7. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

9. Pingback: Weekend style « Seeking Style

10. Pingback: Autumn foods | all and nothing at all

11. Pingback: What to Eat This Summer - Girl of Cardigan - Girl of Cardigan - building a life on the loveliness of good yarn, a great city, and an uncontainable God

12. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers With Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | Change In Seconds

13. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

15. Pingback: Pizza and a Movie | Not by Bread Alone

16. Pingback: Quesadill-me | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian

17. Pingback: 23 Must Have Summer Burgers | The First Year

18. Pingback: 12 Years

19. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers With Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | Change In Seconds

20. Pingback: 100 sätt att bryta en dålig grönsaksrutin