Oh lookie… I made donuts again. I’m soooo healthy this week.

You know, I’m sort of annoyed. I really didn’t even like donuts before. I mean, they were okay, I’d eat them if they looked delicious or if they were… there, but they just were never my drug of choice.

Unless they were munchkins from Dunkin Donuts. Ugggghhh… every day I struggle with the fact that I want to plow through the drive-thru and order a box of 25 donut holes (okay let’s be honest – 50 donut holes) and just go.to.town.

But apparently, I’m an adult or something now, so I’m not really supposed to do that. Just another reason I hate being a grown up.

This is the part where I show you how dumb I am.

Lots of hot oil. Lots of hot oil specks flying everywhere. Lots of steam. And me, with my expensive camera held overtop, just begging for the lens to shatter under the heat.

My husband is probably thrilled right now.

See… I can’t break my camera, because that would mean less money I have to spend on shoes. Or lipgloss! Or books! Or snobby, expensive chocolate!

Again, grown up stuff stinks. Some days I literally think I’d rather sit in the dark, without any water, just so I can spend that money frivolously on something completely ridiculous.

But anyway – back to me not liking donuts.

I mean, that’s not even relevant now, because I stupidly made those maple bacon donuts and well… ha! My life was over. My donut-hating life was over. I basically screwed myself for all eternity, because now I want to make homemade donuts EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND. I’m buying quart after quart of oil. It’s just… a mess.

This past weekend we dined on blueberry cake donuts. Clearly. Well, I dined on blueberry cake donuts, since my husband was sort of whiney and “didn’t want the calories.” Um what? It didn’t matter though, because I found him quietly closet scarfing three of them with some diet Coke. Apparently donuts are the new chocolate chip cookies.

It appears that I have a current obsession with blueberries, which is exactly how they ended up in my donuts. They are almost identical to those glazed blueberry donuts you can get in most donut shops, however I’m pretttty sure those places might use a bit of artificial blueberry flavor? Not really sure, but these are CLOSE. I’m just going to open up a little donut shop right in my little kitchen. Except I’ll probably eat them all first. Ugh. Problems.

Glazed Blueberry Cake Donuts

[slightly adapted from allrecipes]

makes about 12-15 donuts, depending on the size of your cutter

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1/2 cup lowfat milk

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

oil for frying (about 1 quart)

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, stirring to combine. In another bowl, combine egg, milk and vanilla extract, mixing together. Add melted butter to the dry ingredients, quickly stirring to disperse the butter and form small crumbs. Stir in milk and egg mixture, bring the dough together with a spoon. Before it comes completely together, add in blueberries, mashing some as you go along if desired (I suggest thing!) and bring dough together with your hands. Form it into a large ball, then roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut donuts using a donut cutter, a biscuit cutter, or even a knife, using a small lid (or frosting coupler as I did) to cut out the center. Repeat with dough scraps until all the dough is used.

Heat oil in a large pot or deep fryer, bringing it to 375 degrees. Fry donuts 1-2 at a time, frying for about 1 1/2-2 minutes per side. After your first donut, check it by cutting into the center and making sure the dough is cooked through. Finish remaining donuts, then dip the entire thing in glaze and let sit to cool before serving.

Easy Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar

1-2 tablespoons water

1 drop of vanilla extract.

Whisk ingredients together until a smooth, runny glaze forms. If it seems too thin, add sugar a few tablespoons at a time, stirring. if it’s too thick, add more water by one very small drop at a time, whisking constantly. Dunk donuts in the glaze and let sit to set. Yum!

Maybe I can trade donuts for shoes? Hmmm.

118 Responses to “Glazed Blueberry Cake Donuts. (The Real Ones!)”

Mary @ Bake Break — June 26, 2012 @ 12:39 pm

The summer between high school and starting college, I had a boyfriend who lived a few miles away from my house. The best part of this (well, that’s a bit of an exaggeration) was that there was a dunkin’ donuts halfway between our houses! WIN. I think probably 4 out of 5 times I drove home from his house late at night, I would stop at the donut shop. 99 cents for 20 donut holes: you cannot go wrong. It is a miracle I didn’t gain 30 pounds that summer, but I definitely have a HUGE love for donut holes!!

Shannon @ A Fork In Each Hand — June 26, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

Wow, these look delish!! How in the world do you stay so skinny!? I made pumpkin donuts last fall and swear I gained 5 pounds…ugh. I’m jealous of you! Whatever you are doing, keep doing it! (And keep making those donuts!) :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 26, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

Okay so yesterday I posted about mango muffins and even said in the post they that were supposed to be blueberry donuts but when I went to go make them, I realized I was out of blueberries so the muffins happened instead. But now…now…I have an even stronger craving for the blueberry donuts I was supposed to make!

Laura — June 26, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon here, but I don’t know how you do it. I have been addicted to your blog for a couple of months now. I drool everyday looking at your recipes. I think I’ve gained five pounds just doing that! I told my boyfriend that id like to live by your diet. He laughed and said it was unreasonable to think that even with my working out five days a week I could eat your recipes and continue to lose weight or even maintain. With a big “sigh” I will have to agree because I have an issue with saying no. Id eat these donuts till I felt ill and then hear the whines from my kids when they ask why I didn’t save them any. Lol. So I will continue to be a faithful follower and only occasionally treat myself to your tasty ideas.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — June 26, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

I feel the same about DD munchkins. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 26, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

nate would KILL me if i held one of our cameras over hot oil! and yes, being a grown up stinks and is WAY MORE FREAKING EXPENSIVE than anyone ever tells you!

Mal @ The Chic Geek — June 26, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I love donuts so much, but rarely get blueberry ones because they dont have big fresh berries like these- yum!!

Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen — June 26, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

OMG, I don’t really like donuts either, but I will *totally* eat them if they are around…or look decent…and don’t even get me started on those stupid little holes. I LOATHE DD…so I hate admitting I lurve their stupid little holes…especially the blueberry ones;) Also, I so wish I had naturally lighting in our little ghetto bat cave of a home so I could take pictures over bubbling oil with my expensive camera!!! Ugh.

Morgan — June 26, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

I love all these blueberry recipes lately! I will be trying them!

Milynn — June 26, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

The first time I tried to fry anything I had oil splatter everywhere. These donuts look scrumptious. I hope you made some extra for me!

-Milynn

Alison — June 26, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

“Some days I literally think I’d rather sit in the dark, without any water, just so I can spend that money frivolously on something completely ridiculous.”

YES! I feel exactly the same way! And getting to make these donuts whenever I want makes me feel better about being a grown-up:)

Villy @ For the love of Feeding — June 26, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

This is the real thing!! Insane!

Cara — June 26, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

These look incredible! I’m only a fan of donuts if they are a) munchkins or b) homemade and well all things blueberry rock! My husband will pretty much eat anything laden in sugar, so These suckers would not last a second in our household! Consider them made :)

terry — June 26, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

Hi, my name is Terry and I am a doughnut-acholic!!

Julia {The Roasted Root} — June 26, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

The glazed blueberry donuts were my favorite when I was a kid! Your recipe looks delicious and I don’t care how grown up we’re supposed to act…if you want to eat donut holes, eat the donut holes. You only live once ;)

Nutmeg Nanny — June 26, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

This donuts make me happy. I really want right now…sigh.

Brooke — June 26, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

Gosh. I love your blog so much. It’s so addicting!! You’re such a good storyteller. I hope my blog can be this popular someday.

Erin @ The Food Doctors — June 26, 2012 @ 10:23 pm

OMG. I can’t even. You are amazing.

Paulina — June 27, 2012 @ 4:38 am

Pretty much the only awesome thing about being a grown up is being allowed to eat cake and/or ice cream for breakfast. Love the look of these but boiling oil freaks me out!

Erin — June 27, 2012 @ 10:16 am

Oh my gosh blueberry donuts are one of my favorites!

Jenn @therebelchick — June 27, 2012 @ 10:42 am

These look insanely delicious!!

Amanda V — June 27, 2012 @ 11:13 am

These are my all-time favorite doughnuts! So excited to make them!!

Erin — June 27, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

I made these last night and my husband basically died of happiness. And of oil/carb overload because we each had like 3 in one sitting. And for breakfast this morning.

Erin

Andrea C — June 27, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

What size pot did you use? 5qt?

Thanks! And these look heavenly!

liz — June 27, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

I love you! I get it ALL (well, except for the Girls marathon…is that something on hbo or showtime? I feel as if I’m a total loser because I cannot relate to this…but everything else? Most def! Here I am sitting outside on my beautiful deck in the middle of my amazing flower studded yard complete with pool and I am drinking a chardonnay…at 5 pm (est)…I am a lucky woman who wants to make every recipe you blog about, btw…great post…keep them coming…
    Liz

Melissa — June 28, 2012 @ 12:26 pm

What oil did you use?

• Jessica — June 29th, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I used vegetable!

Ashley — June 28, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

These looks so good! I’ve been craving donuts lately and my local DD always serves stale nasty ones. Might have to brave the large pot of hot oil for these babies!

Javelin Warrior — June 29, 2012 @ 12:39 am

Wow – possibly the most delicious donuts I’ve come across yet! These look absolutely perfect… I’m featuring this in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I always love dropping by to see what you’ve created…

Katie — June 29, 2012 @ 3:02 am

Okay, so I know this is just Yahoo “news” and it is probably entirely fictional, BUT it says eating donuts is good for you!!! So we love it! http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health/diet-nutrition/article/-/14084251/can-eating-dessert-for-breakfast-help-with-weight-loss/

Haley — June 29, 2012 @ 3:14 am

Immediately bookmarked. Blueberry cake doughnuts are hands down my favorite kind of doughnut ever. I still remember coming home with one and leaving it on the kitchen counter, only to wake up the next day (it was a 2AM Krispy Kreme purchase and I’d already eaten one at that point) to find my dog had eaten it. Sigh….

brandi — June 29, 2012 @ 10:07 am

um…how did you know these were my favorite donuts? now i want to lick the screen.

KatieO — June 30, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Woo Hoo! Just made these babies and put lemon oil in the glaze. Oh man! Thank you for the inspiration!

Rachel — June 30, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

My husband was delighted when I suggested making donuts. We enjoyed them very much.

I did have to add significantly more flour than listed in the recipe. But I suspect that’s because I got a little overzealous with mashing the blueberries.

Totally made myself “munchkins” out of the dough, too. Thanks!

• Rachel — June 30th, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Wanted to add that I put a bit of lemon extract as well. Nothing containing blueberries is ever complete without lemon!

Tracy — July 1, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

These doughnuts look absolutely glorious!!

Amanda — July 2, 2012 @ 11:20 am

Is it possible to make the dough the night before, refrigerate, and then cook in the morning? I love the thought of making these before people wake up, but that could be difficult if I start from scratch in the morning.

• Amanda — July 6th, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

So I made these this morning. I think you can refrigerate the dough over night… it worked out pretty well for me. The only complaint I had was that they were almost too fried. At one point, the oil was too hot, and the center was mushy. So I ended up sticking them in the oven, which worked great. I was wondering if I might be able to flash fry them and then bake or visa-versa for a lighter effect.

Ashley — July 8, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I keep finding this blog via pinterest and I love it! Thanks for the amazing recipes and the great humor :)

Ifa — July 19, 2012 @ 7:34 am

What fruit can be used to replace blueberries?

Lenore — July 24, 2012 @ 10:23 am

These look A-MAZ-ING! My husband has been pulling the “I don’t want the calories” thing lately, too, which has hindered my baking (because I will eat everything if he doesn’t help…ugh), but I think these donuts need to be on the must-bake list!

Larry Harold — August 13, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

These were so good I had to charge my boys a nickle just to have one. Thank you for the recipe.

shelley — July 8, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

can these be baked? it’s not bc i’m a health nut it’s bc i’m too lazy to pull out the grease and clean up.
    thanks!

Nicole — September 14, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

I just made these! They turned out wonderful. Thank you for your recipe and blog. I will say that I had to add much more flour than the recipe called for (over a cup more). I also added about 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract with the liquid ingredients. I did not use a roller either, I just patted out the dough with floury hands. My husband and I both LOVED them. OH, I almost forgot! I am allergic to dairy and had a doughnut in over a year!! We recently purchased a deep fryer and I decided I couldn’t wait another minute to eat a doughnut and that’s when I found your recipe online. So I wanted to mention that this recipe can EASILY be made dairy free. I used Almond Milk and Earth Balance Buttery Spread. OMG you would never know they’re dairy free. Thank you thank you thank you! I will be making them again, forsure! :)

Vanessa — October 16, 2013 @ 8:09 am

These look amaaazing! Any ideas on baking as opposed to frying?

Elizabeth — March 27, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

These are my absolute favorite donuts ever… i am attempting to make them this weekend.. if they look good I will instagram and # you :)

Elizabeth — April 3, 2014 @ 11:56 am

So I made these last weekend and i think my cutter was slightly larger than the one you used. After cutting donuts from the dough i realized i would only end up with maybe 5-6 big ish donuts.. so i opted for a million donut holes covered in powder sugar… :D just as amazing. Thank you for this recipe..I will defiantly make these again!

Diana — June 12, 2014 @ 7:37 pm

I made these today AND ohhh my goodness they are sooooo yummy!!! Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe!! My kids thank you too!!

millicent — October 7, 2014 @ 9:52 am

These donuts look delicious! I looked over the recipe and it said oil for frying. WHAT KIND OF OIL DID YOU USE FOR FRYING. i

millicent — October 7, 2014 @ 9:54 am

The recipe looks great! Can’t wait to make them. I would like to know what kind of oil you used for frying???? Please let me know by email okay so I can get started. Thanks Millicent
    millpape@ aol.com

1. Pingback: Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

3. Pingback: Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream. | Lifestyle Pins

4. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean