Some things in life make sense.

Chocolate and peanut butter. Budgets. Highly expensive yet impractical shoes. Fireplaces on chilly nights and cold ocean waves on steamy ones. Turquoise jewelry. Having a weird yet not inappropriate dad-like crush on Steve Martin. Neon.

And some things in life don’t.

Flats. Skinny jeans. Broccoli. Unfluffed pillows.

You know… just to name a few.

And even though I just KNOW what you’re thinking, that bubbly cheese and blueberries belong right up there next to pants that flatter your figure like a lovely stuffed sausage, I’m throwing them in the sensible category. And you’ve gotta trust me.

I envisioned this dip for DAYS and it was the weirdest thing: all I could think about were the blueberries bursting just like they do inside of blueberry pancakes, muffins and coffee cake. You know how I am. Straight up obsessed.

This is, um… so not a pancake, muffin or coffee cake. It’s an actual bowl of cheese with blueberries smashed inside, just begging to blow open and bleed blue and purple into the whitest cheddar you’ve ever seen. I know right?

And while it may not do much for you alone (though I am never above eating such a thing with a spoon), when blanketed on top of super crisp, golden bread? It makes all the difference. It becomes the slice of parm topped with a dried apricot or the strawberry jam melting over a pile of brie. I mean, not literally. Duh. But it is JUST LIKE THAT. It is so stupidly simple yet so gourmet tasting. It makes you feel like… super important. Rich. Elegant. Like you don’t even deserve such a thing when you totally do.

And really… you totally do. I’m the best influence ever.

Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip with Toasty Bread

serves 2-4

1 (8-ounce) block of cream cheese, softened

8 ounces white cheddar cheese, freshly grated

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 heaping cup of fresh blueberries

1 loaf of french bread, sliced

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place two oven racks on the middle and lower level. Slice bread and place on a baking sheet, drizzling it with olive oil.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese with grated cheddar and nutmeg. Fold in blueberries. Place in an oven-safe dish, then set on the top oven rack. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese is hot, golden and bubbly, and blueberries and bursting. At the 20 minute mark, place baking sheet with bread on the lower rack  to toast, checking and tossing every 4-5 minutes. Serve immediately! With white wine, of course.

P.S. wine is required.

113 Responses to “Hot Blueberry Cheddar Dip with Toasty Bread.”

ellenbcookery — July 11, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

Blueberry and cheddar sounds so odd…but I’m willing to give it a try!

Elena — July 11, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I’m starving right now………. love your recipes!!!!

Kate G. — July 11, 2012 @ 6:56 pm

I NEVER would have thought to put blueberries and cheese together….but I REALLY want to try this! :)

Erin @ erinberries — July 11, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

This oddly sounds very yummy. It actually kind of looks like a Blueberry French Onion soup!

Mrs. WASP — July 11, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

Sweet mother of Mary, that is, well, I really have no words other than I have got to make it asap!!!

ashley — July 11, 2012 @ 8:32 pm

I love sharp white cheddar and jam sandwiches so I know I would adore this combo!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — July 11, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

I am definitely going to have to try this cheddar and blueberry flavour combo!

Amanda D. — July 11, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

I love sharp white cheddar and it surprisingly does sound wonderful with blueberries. I think I am going to have to try this!

Megan Q — July 11, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

You’re so clever!! Definitely will be trying this. With wine.

April — July 12, 2012 @ 9:18 am

It looks delicious, what a wonderful idea! The blueberries make it look so pretty too. I just tried goat cheese with cranberries not too long ago and was very impressed with the flavor. And I couldn’t agree more about the skinny jeans. Hideous!!

Have a lovely day ~ April

Brian cox — July 12, 2012 @ 9:29 am

This looks amazing. I can’t help but think that this would make a great filling for some stuffed French toast.

• Jessica — July 12th, 2012 @ 10:41 am

OMG yes.

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen — July 12, 2012 @ 10:24 am

I never think to use blueberries in savory dishes. This changes my mind!

Megan {Country Cleaver} — July 12, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Like Apple Pie and Cheddar goes together – Blueberries and White Cheddar totally sound legit. And uber classayyy.

OldTurtle — July 12, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

This combination is pure genius. I am going to try it in a Phylo bowl. Thank you!

Mari — July 12, 2012 @ 1:14 pm

Jessica, you need to open a restaurant. I would fly down there just to eat some of your awesomely weird recipes….I realize I could make them myself, though I just don’t think that would be the same.

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — July 12, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

This is just AMAZING!!!!!

Katie — July 12, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Went home last night and made this, it was fantastic! Love your blog and recipes, so far I’ve never not loved what I make.

Joy — July 12, 2012 @ 5:43 pm

That is so creative!

Moni Meals — July 12, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Unreal, I have got to try this!! So unique!! you always are good like that. :-)

Kara — July 12, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Just made (and devoured) this. Delicious!

Caili — July 12, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

Would it be terribly fat of me to wrap this in sourdough dough and bake into little rolls, so that when you take a bite you realize that it’s actually cheese-blueberry heaven? No? Good, consider it done.

• Jessica — July 12th, 2012 @ 9:52 pm

Ummmm that’s amazing.

• Dawn — July 18th, 2012 @ 7:23 am

i’m doing that next!

Javelin Warrior — July 13, 2012 @ 12:36 am

I love dropping by to drool over your latest creations and today I’m featuring this post in Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and it’s always a pleasure following you…

gina @ skinnytaste — July 13, 2012 @ 3:36 pm

I would have never thought of combining those ingredients, but it looks so good!

Beverly-Ann — July 14, 2012 @ 8:37 am

I made this dip last night and everyone raved about it. My bf called it “rock star”.

Laura — July 15, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

This dip is currently in my oven baking… with blueberries that I picked just yesterday and the white wine chilling in the fridge! So looking forward to this– thanks for all the great recipes!

@stampylisa — July 16, 2012 @ 11:14 am

What’s worse than skinny jeans??…what i saw this weekend at kohl’s and cannot now unsee. lace leggings. straight from the 80s. where I came from. Madonna style. with NO restrictional tag on them meaning anyone can buy them. even those that should not. I am afraid for festival grounds across the US of A. especially since most buying them won’t wear something long enough OVER them to hide their netherlands. or magic kingdom. or whatever you want to call it….. Lord knows I wouldn’t dare. A)cause I am the age of the cougar. B)cause I weigh more than 98 lbs. on that note. I am SO trying this dip. —with GF bread though. bleh. but i am a blueberry whore so i will have to try it –SOON!!

Dawn — July 18, 2012 @ 7:22 am

made this over the weekend for girls night… holy cow! this ROCKED! good job!

Erin — July 23, 2012 @ 5:23 pm

This was awesome!! We loved it! It was even great as a cold spread the next day. Thanks so much for sharing :D

Bridget — July 23, 2012 @ 10:11 pm

Blueberry and cheddar, YUM! Our local farmer’s market has a blueberry cheddar cheese in a block. It’s divine! I imagine this will be just a scrumptious, will have to try!!

Amy — August 9, 2012 @ 12:41 am

This is the best dip EVER! My daughter and I had it for dinner with a spinach salad. Amazing recipe!!

Becky — September 7, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

It makes me seriously happy to know that I am not the only person against flats and skinny jeans. Sure, there’s a time and a place for both (heels kill after a while and tucking jeans into boots is a pain) but overall, just…no.

This dip, however?

Lookin’ like a pretty big yes.

Katie — November 2, 2012 @ 7:08 am

Am TOTALLY trying this ASAP!!

Amanda — December 19, 2012 @ 2:41 pm

I made this a couple weeks back for my boyfriend’s family who own an organic blueberry farm using their organic blueberries that had been frozen since the winter. It was a huge hit, and you could say they are blueberry experts. I served it with crunchy apples, which paired very nicely with the hot cheddar!

Thank you for the fabulous recipe!

Gabby — December 21, 2012 @ 7:51 am

On October 15th the cheese price was $1.77 and has flalen $.17 1/2 cents in the twelve trading days since then. In real farm dollars here in California that is a drop of $1.74 per cwt on the 4b cheese price. From almost $16.00 a cwt to barely above $14.00 in less than two weeks. Bet the consumers won’t see any of this.

Terri — December 31, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Hi! I made this blueberry dip tonight and it tastes very bland? I did use Monterey Jack cheese….could that be the issue? Help! It seems like it would be so yummy?

• Deidre — October 28th, 2013 @ 1:39 pm

Best to use a sharp aged white cheddar cheese. Then the flavor will pop!!

Sonia — January 25, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Growing up I loved eating cream cheese and blueberry jam sandwiches so I know this will be awesome. Will be having it as a unique dip for the Superbowl!

Courtney — May 23, 2013 @ 9:49 pm

I decided to make a trial version of this, because I was thinking of bringing it to a little get together. I halved the recipe. Unfortunately the only taste testers are my boyfriend and I. My unadventurous-with-food boyfriend declared, “I like blueberries and I like cheddar” and then refused to try it because it was blueberries AND cheddar. So….I ate it. Like, the whole thing. Just ate it. So melty and delicious. I ate it with pita chips, because you know, lazy and eating a bowl of melted cheese by myself. Pleasantly surprised I didn’t just faceplant into it. Thanks for the recipe!