This is what comes next.

What comes after 28 ounces of cheese… err, give or take – specifically give, considering Tuesday’s cheesecake - when you’ve just had… enough.

Enough of everything.

I’ve had enough of being an adult. No, really… more than enough. I’m through with being a grown up.

I mean, I don’t even act like an adult half the time. More like three-quarters of the time. I don’t make my freaking bed. I don’t clean up after myself. In front of me on the living room floor, the main gathering space in our home, I currently spy four pairs of socks that I ripped off after workouts this week along with shoes and hats and empty water bottles. You’d think I could walk these things up the stairs. Or better yet, into the laundry room. But no. I can’t.

It’s a constant internal battle every evening to wash my face. Isn’t washing your face at night, when you’re exhausted, just the WORST? It is. Tell me it is. I push the limit when it comes to showering. I refuse to unload the dishwasher until the dirty dishes are piled so high that I can’t physically move in my kitchen. I have no idea how I can ever teach another small human being how to behave properly.

What’s really thrown me for a grown-up loop is having to spend three days getting unexpected, very expensive work done on my car, while I have like a million other important things to do such as go to Whole Foods because I’m a brat and make grilled cheese’s with peaches inside. After day three, the nice service man, who clearly thinks I’m insane and is well aware that I have no business being near any sort of car maintenance – I’m sure the pink shoes and Midnight Cowboy shadow on my lids had nothing to do with giving it away… – gave me a loaner car because I was having a full on major fah-reak out over getting things done before I leave for vacation. That was nice of him.

And the first thing I did was run to Lowe’s (another place I have no business being), park my car, get frustrated because I couldn’t find what I needed and was too proud to ask for assistance, then came back outside and walked around for 10 minutes searching for “my car,” which was really not “my car.” But I had already forgot that I was driving a different car.

Then I went to the grocery store and did the same thing. Five full minutes spent losing my marbles, swearing up and down that “somebody STOLE my car, OMG,” texting my husband who is hundreds of miles away and doing very important things that don’t include buying toffee-studded chocolate bars just so I could have them to eat while watching Crazy, Stupid Love for the 21st time.

And THEN I had to come home to a house with no power, and I left all my belongings in my real car, which I was not driving, and I was locked out of my house because I am from the internet generation and we are unaware of what KEYS are for. Can’t some magical electronic device just beam me inside?

So… I’m done.

This is the sort of meal that I eat when I feel like I have to act like an almost-thirty year old, but guess what? I’m not doing that today. I did it last week. And it was pretty delicious – as delicious as beans and roasted vegetables can be, covered in additional cheese because seriously? Do you really think I can do something like this cheese-less? No. Impossible. But put grilled corn and beans in almost anything and I’ll eat it. Probably.

But today I’m just going to eat chocolate. Because I said so.

Roasted Summertime Chickpea Salad

3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil

3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley

1 tablespoon freshly chopped mint

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

2 teaspoons honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and add tomatoes, peppers, corn, onions and garlic. Drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, toss, then roast for 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.

While veggies are cooling, add chickpeas to a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, vinegar and honey. Set aside.

Add veggies to the chickpeas in the bowl. Add in fresh herbs, then crumble on gorgonzola. Drizzle with dressing, tossing to coat, then top with freshly chopped avocado. Season more if desired. Serve immediately!

Ahhh… I feel better already.

98 Responses to “Roasted Summertime Chickpea Salad.”

ellenbcookery — July 19, 2012 @ 1:02 pm

What a healthy and colourful salad. I need to try making this one.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 19, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

Perfect summer salad…I swear to god I was making something today with a can of corn, cheese, salsa, and thought of you; thinking oh Jessica probably has umpteen summer salads like this one on her site. And bam, here you are. It looks awesome!

The Meaning of Me — July 19, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Perfect for dinner on a hot summer night. Hope your day got better!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — July 19, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

This sounds delish…I love chickpeas…I eat them right out of the can :)

Eileen — July 19, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

OMG, that sounds like a horrendous day! Atleast you have tasty salad to cheery you up. :) I love the mix of chickpeas with all kinds of beautiful ro asted veg!

Whitney L. — July 19, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

I couldn’t concentrate after you said “toffee studded chocolate bar”… MUST GET!

allison — July 19, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

oh my. I had a very similar day yesterday, and after, i don’t know, a million days of 90-100F temperatures, I said screw it and had ice cream for dinner. The check engine light was on and I was having a bad hair day, so, ice cream was the only imaginable answer.

Genny — July 19, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Been there. Done that. I completely understand your entire post. But, somehow we must all just “do it”! This recipe looks delish by the way! :o)

Meg — July 19, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

I looathe washing my face at night! It’s the worst the absolute worst, thank god I shower at night or it would never get done.

Emily @ www.main-eats.com — July 19, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

I HAAAAAAATE getting ready for bed. Serious torture! Guess that’s why I fall asleep on the couch every night so that when my husband wakes me up I have an excuse to just crawl into bed. Diiiiirty. At least I make up for it in the morning!
    That salad looks great-so summery!

Cai — July 19, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks gooooood.
    And I 100% completely agree with you on the face washing thing. You just want to go to bed. You don’t want to wash your face, get water all over the counter, possibly on your shirt, hair, etc.
    Sighhh.

Punctuation Mark — July 20, 2012 @ 2:03 am

This is perfect for me these days… thanks a lot for this recipe!!!

Kelly Klepfer — July 20, 2012 @ 8:17 am

Ha. Ha. I love your description of your very frustrating day. I hope today is better for you and that you remember which car you are driving and the keys. And dare I say that at staring 50 in the eye that I only make my bed when company is coming over, among some of the other things you mentioned in your list of housekeeping fails, and I managed to raise a couple of full functioning, pretty decent citizens. There is hope. Ha. Ha.

I will have to give your recipe a shot. Sounds delish.

Krysten Oliphant — July 20, 2012 @ 8:38 am

It’s the worst when you fall asleep on the couch in all your makeup. And then your husband wants you to come to bed. Why is the couch the comfiest thing in the world at 10 pm on a Thursday night? Even though you know you’ll be pissed off in the morning when you wake up all greasy with your contact still in and a crick in your neck!
    Also, my biggest pet peeve in the world is unloading the dishwasher. I loathe it.

Suzi — July 20, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Just wait to your husband switches jobs and he is home all the time!! He will gripe about those socks, and bitch about you not making the bed! It happened to me!!!

• Gayle — July 9th, 2013 @ 10:00 am

Tell him if he doesn’t like it to do it himself.

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 20, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Totally understand those kind of days!
    This salad looks amazing! Will have to try soon!

sisters running the kitchen (christina) — July 21, 2012 @ 7:59 am

this looks great! wrote down the ingredients to make this :)

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au — July 21, 2012 @ 9:09 am

While you are eating chocolate ( which I understand), I will eat this salad it looks like a salad I could eat a tiptruck full of

Katrina — July 21, 2012 @ 9:57 am

This looks so, so, fabulous!

JPhil — July 21, 2012 @ 11:42 am

I made this for a family get together last night with a few changes for our taste. It was a hit! SOOOOOOOOO delicious! Thank you! This will be a keeper recipe!

Janelle Haik — July 23, 2012 @ 1:50 pm

I made this salad over the weekend for a BBQ and it was huge hit. I did make a few modifications with the recipe but not by much. It was very refreshing and light!

Deanna — July 23, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

I made this yesterday (with 2 avocados instead of one because I’m an avocado freak) and brought the leftovers to work with me today. It was a huge hit both times I served it! And it held it’s own even on the second day!!! This is an excellent recipe and I don’t feel guilty about eating it…not that I feel guilty about eating any other mealtime foods; ya know, like root beer float cupcakes or mini strawberry cheesecakes :) I will definitely be making this again.

valerie — July 24, 2012 @ 8:28 am

i made this for dinner last night… it contains so many of my favorite ingredients and i grow my own herbs, so it had to be made. and it was fabulous. i can’t wait to eat leftovers for lunch today! thanks for a great summertime recipe!

Melissa Holgerson — July 29, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Taking car to shop I can handle, washing my face at night is difficult (except when I have company over and pretend like I smother creams and potions on my freshly washed face every night cause I’m disciplined that way) but make the bed???? AAAAAAHHH! Back and forth one side to the other, such a process. So here’s what I do, put a sheet over the top of the freshly made bed and sleep on top of that. Then just toss it in the closet, pur the fancy pillows back and I’m off. My husband thinks I’m crazy, maybe I am, if only kids would follow my example!?

megan — July 29, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

mmmm, made this for lunch today and added black beans and used feta since that’s what i had on hand. super delicious and made me feel much healthier after meat fest at my parent’s house last night! (mr. how sweet would have loved it)

Elizabeth — August 1, 2012 @ 11:10 pm
    Natalie Boenker — August 6, 2012 @ 11:31 am

This was SO good! I had to reblog about it, thanks for the great recipes!

Erica — August 19, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

Made this tonight and had to thank you – it was delicious! Threw in extra basil since it was the only herb I had on hand, and still tasty :)

Ellie — August 21, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

Delicious!

Eric — January 21, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Will this stay fresh a few days in the fridge? Love your recipes!

1. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts

2. Pingback: What I Ate: Link Mania!! « The Pancake Princess and the Protein Prince

3. Pingback: Life Lately | Preston Fitness

4. Pingback: Peach, Bacon + Gouda Grilled Cheese Sliders on Pretzel Bread | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Peach, Bacon + Gouda Grilled Cheese Sliders on Pretzel Bread. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

6. Pingback: Peach, Bacon + Gouda Grilled Cheese Sliders on Pretzel Bread. | Lifestyle Pins

7. Pingback: Roasted Veggies & Chickpea Salad |

8. Pingback: Monday Meal: Roasted Chickpea Salad « Snickerdoodle State of Mind

9. Pingback: August recipes: summer sides and easy entrees « NewlyWife Supper Club

10. Pingback: Roasted Corn and Chickpea Salad | Krug the Thinker

11. Pingback: too legit to quit. | bacon & pearls

12. Pingback: 7 Lettuceless Salad Recipes to Share | Healthy Concepts with a Nutrition Bias