Welcome to another installment of “why chocolate and peanut butter are the best combination on the planet.”

No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites I howsweeteats.com

I mean, they are. Right?

If you don’t agree, well, I have no idea how we are in this weird invisible relationship. I’m sure we have something else in common like eating all of the cookie dough out of the cookie dough ice cream and returning it to the freezer for the next poor soul to discover. Or wondering how we can someday have a small child and still participate in (consecutive) ten hour Friday Night Lights marathons. Connie Britton… please be my best friend.

P.S. your hair is so pretty.

No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites I howsweeteats.com

So. These are a complete knock off of my oatmeal peanut butter bites I made a few months ago. Oh my gawwwd. I love those things. I make a double batch some weeks. Sometimes I have them before workouts in the morning and occasionally as an afternoon snack. Originally they were mostly peanut butter with a hint of chocolate (in chip form) but then I thought… why aren’t they almost ALL chocolate? Like mostly chocolate with a touch of peanut butter?

No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites I howsweeteats.com

Then… I did that.

And I added some of those chocolate covered sunflower seeds because they are addicting. And okay, I had to add them to something because I often inhale them by the handful which is just socially unacceptable for some reason. Why, I have no idea. True story: when I first had these candy coated morsels of goodness years ago, I’m 97% sure that I ate an entire container in one day. They are just so cute. And tiny. And chocolately. And healthy! They are a seed for goodness sakes. Plus, when they come in all these adorable bright colors and a beautiful array of pastels? Um, how can you expect me, a secret 17-year old, to pass that up?

I’m currently shoveling them in my mouth right now too. Just like a needy addict. Help.

No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites I howsweeteats.com

a pinch of salt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
2 tablespoons chocolate covered sunflower seeds
ground peanuts or almonds mixed with a few pinches of cocoa powder, to roll the balls in

Combine oats, almonds, flaxseed, cocoa, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir.

Melt peanut butter and allow it to cool slightly (I melted mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds, then stirred), then stir in honey and vanilla extract until it's combined. Once peanut butter has cooled a bit, pour it over the oat mixture and mix well with a spoon then bring together with your hands. Once mixture is sticking together, fold in chocolate chips and sunflower seeds.

Roll dough into golf-ball sized (or slightly smaller) balls, then roll in ground peanuts or ground almonds tossed with cocoa powder. These can be eaten at room temp but we really like them stored in the fridge!

No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites I howsweeteats.com

Just try to stay away. Really.

121 Responses to “No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 17, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

They’re gorgeous with the sprinkles/colors peeking through! And yes, the combo of peanut butter + chocolate is perhaps the best in the entire world. They’re made for each other.

And I’m in love with these images. Pinning!

Julie — January 17, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

Chocolate and peanut butter…forget about it. I’m trying to do chocolate and almond butter (paleo) but honestly, the magic of the first relationship is a little lost in the second. Maybe I’ll just get used to it…and maybe I’ll crack. haha

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — January 17, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

I love no-bake treats like this. I’ve never tried chocolate-coated sunflower seeds…but it sounds like it’s safer for me to keep it that way…(I have an addictive personality when it comes to…well, chocolate).
    PS. Heck yes to eating the cookie dough (and chocolate) out of the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream…the container looks like it’s been mauled by the time I’m through with it.

Monica — January 17, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

These look too good to be true. I love the pop of color with the addition of the chocolate covered sunflower seeds – they make them more pleasing to look at if you know what I mean ;)

betty — January 17, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

OMGAH. i cant bring those seeds into my house.. and if i do, they cannot be left in plain sight. i walk by and grab a handful.. then walk by and grab a handful and before i know it, i have the tube up in the air, patting the top trying to inhale every last ounce that may be left. and now i’m drooling on my keyboard.

megan @ whatmegansmaking — January 17, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

so many things to say about this. We have ben obsessed with Friday night lights. And I want to BE Connie Britton. And so now I’m obsessed with Nashville – love her! oh, and these snack bites look really really good :)

• Amanda Usen — January 19th, 2013 @ 7:34 am

And then I had a cow when I discovered she’s also in American Horror Story! But I can’t watch that because Stephen King ruined me young. P.S. The cookies look awesome, too!

Tracey Feeger — January 17, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

Oh My God……!!!!!!!
    Seriously you are gonna make me fall off the diet bandwagon. I have become addicted to Peanut Butter – always been a fan but have just starting eating more and more of it and can’t stop so these balls would be an absolute sin for me. We don’t have the choc covered seeds here in Australia which I am thinking is a good thing. I might have to give these a go some time soon – choc protein powder might be the go instead of the cocoa just to add some more ‘oompf’ to it.

Thanks for the great recipe

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — January 17, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Love this!!! Great recipe!

tracy {pale yellow} — January 17, 2013 @ 5:41 pm

Peanut butter + chocolate = best friends forever. Trying more vegan recipes this year, these sound like a winner!

Emma — January 17, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

omg whyyyy jess youre killing me. these are totally healthy and there’s no possible way i can justify not making them. oh well, ill start my diet after i make these..

Katie @ Blonde Ambition — January 17, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

Ohhh man. I’m in trouble now that I know those chocolate covered sunflower seeds exist.

(I’m focusing on the sunflower seeds because I can’t even get into what kind of trouble I’m in over the chocolate bites. Holy lord.)

Nicole — January 17, 2013 @ 7:28 pm

These look delicious! My roommate got me hooked on chocolate covered sunflowers. But very interesting question of why peanut butter and chocolate are so perfect together.

Erika @ The Hopeless Housewife — January 17, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

These would be ideal for kid parties and so easy!

Emily @ Life on Food — January 17, 2013 @ 8:40 pm

I am currently doing a little happy dance over these.

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 17, 2013 @ 8:53 pm

Connie’s hair is pretty! I look in the mirror at my hair and compare it to hers, needless to say that makes me sad.
    But a batch of these little treats would certainly perk me up!

Beth — January 17, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

Ok so I made these tonight and they are, indeed, amazing. Question : how do I keep my boyfriend from eating them all before the night is through? I already tried telling him they were super healthy!!!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — January 17, 2013 @ 9:31 pm

I love that these are packed secretly with good for you stuff but are full of tasty things too! And I agree, chocolate covered sunflower seeds are soooo much fun!

domesticourted — January 17, 2013 @ 10:08 pm

i’m usually with you. but just thinking about some of these ingredients (flexseen and chia seed?!) made me have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom just thinking about them. thank goodness for the sunflower seeds!

Kate — January 17, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

These look amazing….like they would be good before a run. Oh wait…I’m injured right now….so they would just be good…to eat…while I’m sitting on the couch not burning calories :) Plus PB and Chocolate is the best combo EVER :)

jane — January 17, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

Are the chia seeds necessary? Could I just sub in more ground flaxseed?

Jessie — January 17, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

These are so good!! I have like a whole pound of these little chocolate covered sunflower seeds that I just pour straight into my mouth. Now I have a use for them! Thanks!

liz — January 17, 2013 @ 11:51 pm

this beats my spoonfuls of peanut butter with chocolate chips clinging to it…three times a day.
    also, we totally finished our Friday Night Lights binge like 3 days before our first was born – we knew our days of 5 episodes a night were coming to a close…Texas Forever.

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — January 18, 2013 @ 1:40 am

if it’s socially unacceptable to eat those seeds by the handful, I don’t wanna be right.

…or something like that

Jennie — January 18, 2013 @ 1:56 am

Not sure about Fri night lights..but I have two babies…3mo and 20 mo and I’ve been involved in a Dowton Abbey marathon…you gotta do something when they get you up at night, right??

Lori — January 18, 2013 @ 5:42 am

My daughter woke up at 1:30 a.m., which means I am now up at 1:30 a.m., which means I am hungry. So where do I turn? Here, of course. And now I am starving. And wishing I had bought that cute bag of chocolate covered sunflower seeds I saw at Marshall’s.

Alyssa — January 18, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Those.look.deadly. And I love those TJ’s sunflower seeds!!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 18, 2013 @ 11:25 am

I love the color those sunflower seeds add

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — January 18, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

I absolutely, completely agree with your first sentence! These bites can even be called healthy will all those seeds…

Colette — January 18, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

Chrissy — January 18, 2013 @ 4:31 pm

NEED THESE! Seriously, I don’t think I can go another day without them. I love the pretty little choco covered sunflower seeds!

Erin — January 18, 2013 @ 4:55 pm

ughhh chocolate and peanut butter are seriously the best thing ever. for real. nothing beats it. i want these like, now.

christyn — January 18, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

your photos are AMAZING!!! and always versatile. love checking out your recipes! you must have made your way into many magazines/books with your talent.

Alissa — January 18, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

These sound amazing!! I made a version like these the other night but without all the grains, and used coconut instead for a Paleo friendly version. I like the sunflower seed idea, I am going to have to see if I can have them.

Joy @ Baking-Joy — January 19, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

Totally agree that PB and chocolate is the best combination in the entire world. These look awesome :-)

Laura — January 21, 2013 @ 1:46 am

Pinning and off to check out the peanut butter ones. Oh yeah, and we have tv in common, my friend. I can tell. :)

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen — January 21, 2013 @ 5:31 am

Yum! I love that these are a) so cute b) healthy c) are peanut butter and chocolaty!! I can’t wait to try them!

Sydney — January 22, 2013 @ 12:24 am

These look fabulous! Would using instant oats rather than old fashioned rolled oats make a big difference? That’s all I’ve got in the pantry right now!

Ronda — January 22, 2013 @ 5:12 pm

Connie Britton is my hair hero and I love Friday Night Lights. I am so going to give these a try.

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — January 23, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

Once again, you’ve killed it with this fabulous recipe. And it’s healthy. That way I don’t feel like a fatty when I devour the entire thing. Thanks for that.

Matt — January 23, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

Sorry if this is creepy but… Marry me now! You are a goddess!

Gil Megidish — January 27, 2013 @ 6:46 am

This is just fab!!!

Patti — February 3, 2013 @ 6:55 pm

I made these No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites for a potluck today at church. I didn’t add the chia seeds and could not locate chocolate covered sunflower seeds at this time of year. I rolled some in cocoa and some in multi colored sprinkles. They went over pretty good with everyone. I kept them cold in the fridge until serving, which I like. I don’t think this would be something I would make real often however.

Ali (Bubbly Meadow) — February 4, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

I made these over the weekend and am having trouble keeping them out of my face. I’m off to make a double batch!

Becca — March 11, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

I can’t wait to try these! The only thing holding me back is that my daughter is allergic to sunflower seeds. It’s not a food allergy that often poses a problem in my cooking for sure, but I’m wondering if I can just leave the candy-coated seeds out of this recipe. Do you think it would leave them with too few dry ingredients? Thanks!

1. Pingback: Fives for Friday | Laughter, Strength, and Food

2. Pingback: No Bake Chocolate Snack Balls | Smiley Smith Kitchens

3. Pingback: [I Love] Fridays III | Eggs, Flour, & Oil

4. Pingback: Chocolate is Complicated « My "sous-vide" life

5. Pingback: What I Ate | Uproot from Oregon

6. Pingback: Chocolate Sunflower Butter Balls | just water please

7. Pingback: No-Bake Cookies: Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites | The Sweetest Occasion

8. Pingback: Chia-Chocolate Power Snack | ThePoshDish

9. Pingback: Mary Dimino: It’s Not the Bad Food That Gets Me, But the Good Desserts | Business news

10. Pingback: 10 of the Best No Bake Dessert Recipes

11. Pingback: No-Bake Snack Bites (aka heaven) | babblingbitty

12. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites | tryingchange

13. Pingback: | banANNEabread

14. Pingback: {good eats: no bake treats} | The Sweet Escape

15. Pingback: No-Bake Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Snack Bites | Home Recipes Catalog

16. Pingback: 5 Ways With Chia Seeds | The Lifestyle Department