Oh my gosh. I’ve been waiting forever to tell you about this pizza.

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

And by forever, I mean three days. But in Jessica years? That is forever.

It’s pathetic, really.

The toppings? I’m over the moon. I don’t need to remind you how weird it is that I love brussels sprouts because well, I do that every single time I talk about brussels sprouts and isn’t getting old? Yes and yes. I know. And over half of my recipes with these darn brussels contain bacon, so throwing the whole combo on a pizza was second nature and wow… thank goodness it was. Brussels, bacon and cheese. Just go with it.

Also go with a little balsamic glaze if you want. Trust me.

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

What I really have been chomping at the bit to tell you about is THIS CRUST. Not even this crust, but this method. A freaking cast iron skillet, people! This method cooks your pizza in three minutes. No lie. THREE minutes. And it might be the best crust I’ve ever had. At least until I have the next best crust I’ve ever had.

I’m no pizza connoisseur – unless eating obnoxious amounts qualifies one as an expert – but this somewhat resembles a wood fire crust or something. I dunno. I might be making that up but it’s what it reminds me of. I used my go-to dough recipe, which is from our favorite garlic bread pizza crust. Since making that nearly one year ago, I’ve never made another dough recipe. Which is huge, considering I try out doughs like they’re going out of style.

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Back in December, I had to take a little trip to NYC and conned my friend Bev into coming with me. No really, I pretty much verbally harassed her into coming. It was amazing. As we walked the streets of NYC, she told me about how she had made this incredible pizza in a cast iron skillet and how I had to try it. She also watched me emotionally break down when we didn’t make it to Crumbs before leaving for the airport and she essentially saved my life when I tried to jaywalk a few times, but those are stories for another day.

Oh! And coincidentally we ate slices of pizza around midnight after already eating a full dinner earlier, but we walked about five miles in between so that more than made up for it. Yeah, we should have had two slices. We inhaled negative calories.

How to Make Pizza in a Cast Iron Skillet I howsweeteats.com

Oh. Sidebar. You can make “normal” pizza too. I bet you can’t guess who requested normal pizza. I instagrammed this pizza and said something inappropriate.

It’s true.

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

I swore up and down and right and left that I was making the pizza as soon as I got home. Then I came home and promptly forgot about the pizza because, hello, it was the holidays and I decided to start shopping ten days before. But! Last week I remember and… my world was forever changed.

A slight note: um, this method works really well with two people. Additionally, this method pretty much requires a pizza peel. Guess what? I was one person without a pizza peel. In other words, I nearly died while trying to make this pizza. (Note my makeshift “peel” up above, aka a flipped over, floured baking sheet.) I would have been okay with that though because IT’S THAT GOOD. And you know I’ve been trying to reel in the drama recently so if I’m saying it’s that good… it’s that good.

I love it. Big heart.

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza

Yield: dough recipe makes 2 skillet crusts, pizza toppings listed for 1 pizza

Prep Time: 1.5 hours

Cook Time: 3 minutes (YES, 3!)

crust (NOTE: this recipe makes TWO doughs for skillet pizza)
1 1/8 cups warm water
3 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt

pizza (NOTE: these ingredients are for ONE pizza)
6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
1 shallot, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but it still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Sometimes I work in a few more sprinkles of flour if the dough is sticky. This amount of dough yielded 2 pizza crusts for my 12-inch cast iron skillet. If you're using an 8-inch, you may get 3 doughs, but you also may just want to stick with 2 thicker doughs. Divide the dough evenly in half (or thirds). Place one dough on a well-floured pizza peel and roll into a round about the size of your skillet.

make the pizza + the cast iron skillet method
Heat a large skillet (preferably NOT the skillet you are going to cook your pizza in) over medium heat and add bacon. Fry until crispy and fat is rendered. Remove crispy bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and add shallot. Cook for 5 minutes until soft, then add garlic, sliced brussels, salt and pepper, stirring well to coat. Cook for 6-8 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside.

At this point, place an oven rack directly under your broiler and preheat your broiler to the highest setting. Additionally, place your cast iron skillet on the stovetop burner, turning the heat on high. You want to heat the skillet for 10 minutes. If it begins to smoke a lot, you can reduce the heat a bit. But you want it HOT.

While the skillet is heating, begin placing your toppings on your dough. Remember, the dough MUST be on a well-floured pizza peel (or surface) so you can simply slide the entire thing into the skillet. Add about 2-3 ounces of cheese to your dough, then cover with the brussels sprouts mixture and the bacon. Top with the remaining fontina, provolone and parmesan.

Place a potholder or thick towel on the handle of the skillet (it will be sooo hot). Carefully slide the pizza into the skillet, dough side down. Don't worry if a few toppings or pieces of cheese slice onto the surface - it will be totally fine. After about 30 seconds, turn off the burner, grab the skillet and pop it in the oven, right under the broiler. Broil for 1 minute, the using the potholder, grab the handle and rotate 180 degrees, broiling for only 1 more minute. Remove immediately and place on the stovetop. Let cool slightly for about 5 minutes, then use a large spatula to remove the pizza. INDULGE!

[crust from my garlic bread pizza crust, skillet method from bev cooks, originally from kitchen konfidence]

Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza I howsweeteats.com

Oh who am I kidding? Drama queen for life.

191 Responses to “Cast Iron Skillet Brussels Sprouts Bacon Pizza.”

Seeceskemodox — April 9, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

you might have a fantastic weblog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

[url=http://coolchristianlouboutina.2kool4u.net]christian louboutin for women[/url]

Caitlin — April 18, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

Finally tried this method tonight! Turned out great, except the crust wasn’t as done as I would have liked. Was still a little doughy…..any suggestions?

• danny — December 21st, 2013 @ 11:55 am

simple, put the crust on your skillet for 30 sec or so (until it looks coock)… then flip it! that way the crust will be perfectly cook

Ashley — May 29, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

So excited for this! I wonder how blue cheese would be?

Billy — June 18, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

Wow, I never thought about that combo of toppings. And, the cheese trio seems super tasty also. I guess this proves you can put just about any proven flavor profile on a pizza and it will turn out great.

Retro Jordans for Cheap — July 3, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

Yang Shu, a Chinese professor who studies unrest in Xinjiang, said the recent violence reflected Uighur grievances about social inequalities and dislocation driven by economic modernization, the spreading influence of militant currents of Islam and the deterioration of ethnic relations since 2009. In July 2011, 18 people died when rioters in Hotan stormed a police station. Retro Jordans for Cheap

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — October 22, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

You are a brussels sprout queen! i cannot wait to eat an entire pizza to myself. Thank you, thank you.

Aggie L — November 12, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

Ya know…I wasn’t hungry until I read this! I wiii try it & get back to you

Fantasmic — November 12, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

“Additionally, this method pretty much requires a pizza peel”

Yeah…. no, it doesn’t. I used a regular size plastic cutting board, floured. Pizza turned out amazing. Warning: I’m putting this on my blog!

James — November 17, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

I’m looking forward to trying this. Does the cast iron pan need to be seasoned?

LE Stone — December 10, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

Why do you pictures show parchment paper? Did you line the skillet with it before adding the dough?

• Jessica — December 10th, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

nope – just for photography purposes and so i can somewhat preserve the tiles underneath it from the cheese and flour residue from the skillet.

yellowishcanary — February 13, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

This was the first cast iron pizza I made and it was absolutely delicious. I haven’t been able to eat pizza out again because nothing beats pizza on my skillet! Thanks!

Lee — July 1, 2014 @ 11:38 am

How do you ensure the dough doesn’t stick to the skillet?

Hollee — July 12, 2014 @ 10:45 pm

Word of warning: DO NOT LET YOUR SKILLET GET TOO HOT. I made that mistake and ended up with lovely toppings on a solid black crust.

Amybeth Hurst, Portland, ME — August 8, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

I love everything about this recipe. The topping is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing. Amybeth Hurst, Portland, ME

Lisa — September 18, 2014 @ 8:11 am

I have a question! How come you have to top the pizza dough then transfer to skillet? Cant you just put the dough in the hot skillet and top away?

Kristi @ Inspiration Kitchen — October 11, 2014 @ 5:21 pm

Made this today, and it was amazing! The toughest part was getting it into the skillet, but once it was there, the flavor and texture was amazing! Love the brussel sprouts as a topping! Winner! Pinned!

Kelly H — February 5, 2015 @ 6:05 am

Not a fan at all. Maybe if the pizza was cooked normally instead of this flash cooked method. The bottom of the crust was very burnt and the top was very soft. I followed the time instructions. The cheese was perfectly cooked, but the crust was terrible. Cook it at 425 for ~15 minutes and you might actually have a good pizza.

• Cindy — April 26th, 2015 @ 11:10 am

And that is exactly how I ended up cooking it, and it came out great. I wanted to try it in the cast iron, but I chickened out at the last minute and went conventional in a perforated pizza pan with the oven rack in the lowest position at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Greg — March 3, 2015 @ 2:12 am

I, too, am an avid brusssels sprouts fan. When I read this recipe, it was jumped out at me that it was practically identical to my favorite brussels sprouts dish with one exception, blue cheese. My favorite dish is made the same way you prepare the toppings for the pizza but, in the end, the resulting mixture is tossed with blue cheese. I don’t know if you are a blue cheese fan but, if you are, give it a try, you won’t be disappointed. On, and by the way, thanks for this recipe. I have been contemplating building a cast iron pizza for a while, just hadn’t figured out the cooking details.

• Cindy — April 26th, 2015 @ 11:05 am

Did you add the blue cheese to the rest of the ingredients or did you use it in place of the other cheeses?

Johlene@FlavoursandFrosting — April 9, 2015 @ 8:14 pm

I´m so excited to see that I can make a pizza in a skillet! Love it!

1. Pingback: Pepperoni Pizza Puff Muffins | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Pulled Pork Pizza With Maple Leeks, Roasted Garlic And Aged Cheddar | Dinners Done Right Eugene/Springfield

3. Pingback: February Favorites: Food + Fun. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In March | EncuNpresse

5. Pingback: squid ink pizza with homemade ricotta, smoked salmon and a lemony brussels sprouts salad | Little Locavore

6. Pingback: 50+ Healthy Dinners in 30 Minutes or Less | Back To The Book Nutrition

7. Pingback: 31 Delicious Things To Cook In March | Viral News Stories