Lazy lasagna time.

Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna I

You know how much I adore my skillet lasagna. Lasagnas? Can lasagna be plural?

But! You just throw everything into one skillet – done. It’s one of my most favorite things. Easiest dinner ever.

Who has time to layer noodles and meat and cheese in a dish when there is reality TV trash to watch and magazines to be read and peanut butter filled eggs to eat? Oooh, or should I say coconut filled eggs? Yeah. Coconut filled eggs. Ummmm… please tell me you had some of those over the last few days. My one big plan for the day is to go buy out alllllll the coconut cream filled eggs on clearance.

Who’s with me?

Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna I

So even though it is still pretty darn cold here, since it is April and Easter has happened, it is freaking SPRING. I don’t care anymore and I’m not waiting for the weather to tell me so either.

I am strung out on mint green and denim jackets.

Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna I

The traditional version is still probably my favorite, though like most things, it totally depends on your food mood. You might remember that back in the fall, I made a butternut squash version but used some chicken to keep the texture lovable. I really wanted to try to do a veggie version (yeah yeah – it’s April Fools, but this is no joke) and figured that asparagus and mushrooms and stuff would give us enough chew and a little crunch. And even for this veggie loather… it did.

Don’t even know myself anymore.

Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna I

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ricotta
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare water for pasta and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cooking according to directions, shaving a few minutes off the time.

Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add in onions and mushrooms, tossing to coat, then cover and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add in garlic and spinach, stirring well and cook until the spinach wilts and cooks down. Add in asparagus, tossing well. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until golden brown and nutty, about 1-2 minutes. Add in milk and whisk continuously until the mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parmesan cheese. Season with a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is slightly thickened, pour over the vegetables in the skillet and turn off the heat. Add in the cooked lasagna noodles and gently toss to distribute. Cover with scoops of ricotta and the grated cheese.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove and serve with extra parmesan!

[adapted from my 30 minute skillet lasagna]

Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna I

Bubbly cheese is where it’s at.

74 Responses to “Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna.”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — April 1, 2013 @ 7:08 am

Pure comfort right here. Love it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 1, 2013 @ 7:33 am

I love skillet lasagna and I am loving this dish! What a wonderful idea!! Looks soooooooooo good!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 1, 2013 @ 7:42 am

Skillet, asparagus, mushrooms, I’m sold. I love all of that!

Denise — April 1, 2013 @ 7:44 am

If i am not totally wrong the plural of lasagna is lasagne. A bot like pizza and pizze

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 1, 2013 @ 7:48 am

Yum!!! This sounds delicious, and so perfect for spring. PS. I’m all about the mint and teal just now as well – I’ve currently got on teal jeans with mint nails. No denim jacket… yet. ;) Hope you had a lovely Easter Jess!

dessertfortwo — April 1, 2013 @ 7:53 am

Ohhhh those coconut cream eggs. I’m so sorry we discovered them. I can’t stop eating them.
    I have all the ingredients for this lasagna! I can’t wait!

Meg Jones | The Spatularettes — April 1, 2013 @ 8:05 am

Mint t-shirt, cropped pants, and a denim jacket to work today. Spring is here whether is likes it or not!

Tieghan — April 1, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Love how simple and easy and awesome thins is! And I know I want spring so bad, but all it does here is snow!

Ali @ Peaches and Football — April 1, 2013 @ 8:29 am

What wonderful food combinations! I love making skillet lasagna – usually I swap egg noodles for the regular lasagna noodles because they fit a little better.

I have yet to find a coconut filled egg. I am thinking I am better off avoiding them or it might become an issue. :)

Cookin Canuck — April 1, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Lazy lasagne is fantastic! We actually had beautiful springtime weather this weekend…shorts & capris. Now we’re back to rain. But it’s better than snow!

Kayley — April 1, 2013 @ 9:06 am

You won me over with the asparagus…..and everything else involved. YUM!

Kacy — April 1, 2013 @ 9:09 am

I need to try this. Sans mushrooms though. Maybe artichokes would work instead?

lauren alysse — April 1, 2013 @ 9:18 am

i’ve been looking for some good skillet recipes. this sounds positively AWESOME.

Meg @ Peaches and Cake — April 1, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Err mah gerd totally strung out on mint green too. Go check out the new mint green skinnies at Gap right now you will die. So much mint green goodness.

Alissa — April 1, 2013 @ 9:37 am

This looks amazing! This is the time of year when my body goes into full must eat green mode! It started a couple of years ago, and I just CRAVE salads, veggies, etc all the way through summer.

Amy — April 1, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Oooo a dark backdrop! I absolutely love your bright, white backdrop, but I suppose change is good :P

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) — April 1, 2013 @ 10:33 am

This looks great! Yay for springtime dishes!

Marie @ Little Kitchie — April 1, 2013 @ 10:47 am

This is so right up my alley – yum, yum, yum!

Mr. & Mrs. P — April 1, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Love this… Looks great!

Katryn — April 1, 2013 @ 11:16 am

This is brilliant! I love lasagna but rarely have time to make it (BOO full-time job) so this would be perfect for me! And it’s a bonus that it’s endlessly adaptable…

Rachel @ Buttercream Is Better — April 1, 2013 @ 11:33 am

This actually makes vegetables look drool-worthy.

Also, I have old-school PA Dutch-style Coconut Creme eggs on my website if you want a steller recipe :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — April 1, 2013 @ 11:37 am

dixya@food, pleasure, and health — April 1, 2013 @ 11:44 am

what a delightfully comforting dish!!!

Elisa @ Insalata di Sillabe — April 1, 2013 @ 11:45 am

Lasagna’s always been one of my favorite go-to meals when I feel the need of something comfortable and cozy to fill my belly with. This veggie version looks very spring-y and delicious, I’ll be trying it out as soon as possible!

xo, Elisa

Lindsey — April 1, 2013 @ 11:53 am

What a healthy, delicious, and simple comfort recipe. The pictures are beautiful. What is it about a cast-iron pan that makes anything you cook in it seem so perfect? Lovely!

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — April 1, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

What a great recipe to put all of the wonderful spring veggies to use! I love that you used a cast iron pan for it, too.

Alison — April 1, 2013 @ 1:02 pm

I totally thought this was an April Fool’s joke because of all the veggies- ha! I like both veggies & lasagna, so I’ll have to try it:)

Michelle — April 1, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Haha! I too thought this was an April Fool’s joke, but then I saw all the delicious, beautiful, bubbly cheese. Swoon.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 1, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

This looks so easy! Love, love, love!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 1, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

My vegetarian friends would love this, but I would love it more! Looks scrumptious!

Anne — April 1, 2013 @ 4:17 pm

“create a roux” what in the world??

honeywhatscooking — April 1, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

OMG.. screw the traditional version, your version is INSANE! I love anything skillet. I’m so making this. I usually make mine with spinach and/or mushrooms, but never thought to add asparagus.. great idea. Love this. Thank you!!! No bacon either. lol. Just kidding.

Mommypage — April 1, 2013 @ 4:39 pm

This looks yummy! It’s the perfect dish for spring and has so many veggie. We love this recipe!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — April 1, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

I so need to try a skillet lasagna. Sounds like so much fun!

And LOVE all of this springtime veg. Hallelujah that winter is finally gone!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — April 1, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

I love one skillet meals…mostly because I loathe doing dishes.

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter — April 1, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

I love asparagus and mushrooms. I agree– no time for noodle layering. Can’t wait to try this.

Lexi @ Glitter, Inc. — April 1, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

Oooh this looks awesome!

Sarah — April 1, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

Oooh, that looks yummy! When I was a kid, my mom used to make lazyagna using penne instead of flat noodles, and just mixing everything together in a cassarole dish and then baking it with cheese on top. So much easier than all the layering, and it tasted just the same :).

Not Only Sugar — April 2, 2013 @ 6:43 am

Very very lovely!!!

Not Only Sugar

Marjory — April 2, 2013 @ 8:11 am

i’ve been craving lasagna–love how quick it is to make! Sounds delicious.

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — April 2, 2013 @ 8:32 am

A spring lasagna sounds delightful! I adore the skillet idea too! Serious yum!

Jenna @ — April 2, 2013 @ 8:47 am

Yum! I love lasagna and this looks perfect for the non spring weather we’ve been having. Btw, love me some coconut eggs. I like to chop them up and mix them into vanilla ice cream and top with more shredded coconut. Perhaps that’s breakfast today lol.

Barb | Creative Culinary — April 2, 2013 @ 8:52 am

This looks anything but lazy; dare I say it looks delicious? Guess I did and yes it does!

katie — April 2, 2013 @ 9:35 am

Jessica–this skillet looks amazing! Must make skillet lasagna soon!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — April 2, 2013 @ 9:38 am

I FINALLY have my own cast iron skillet–yay! I am so in love. I cannot wait to try making lasagna in it!

Jessica@ Stuck On Sweet — April 2, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Love this idea and the spring flavors!

karie engels — April 2, 2013 @ 10:26 am

I believe this is the most beautiful lasagna I have ever seen :)

Abbe@This is How I Cook — April 2, 2013 @ 11:07 am

Love the idea of a spring lasagna. And in a skillet no less. My mom used to make the skillet lasagna that came from a box. Somehow I don’t remember it quite like this.

Angela @ AnotherBitePlease — April 2, 2013 @ 11:13 am

so love the idea of lasagna in a how easy.

Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) — April 2, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

Indeed a quick recipe for when you don’t really feel like cooking. Lasagna in a skillet with asparagus and mushrooms and lots of cheese – what’s not to love?

1. Pingback: tuesday things | Inky Twin Eats

2. Pingback: Daily Dinner Idea: Veggie Skillet Lasagna | The Nest Blog – Home Décor, Cooking, Money, Health & Sex News & Advice

3. Pingback: Favorite Finds | Lovely Life Cents

4. Pingback: A Springtime Lasagna Just For You | Raising Chaos

5. Pingback: Easy Cheesy Veggie Skillet Lasagna | Kitchen Treaty

6. Pingback: Stylejuicer: Time for a lazy lasagna

7. Pingback: at the heart of it |

8. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Healthier Dinner Ideas | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: 20 Weeks of (different!) Lightened-Up Dinners. | pinmeplease

10. Pingback: Easy Skillet Garden Lasagna - Peas of Cake

11. Pingback: 34 platillos que te van a arruinar la vida. Irresistibles! | Impacto Actual