Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna.
Lazy lasagna time.
You know how much I adore my skillet lasagna. Lasagnas? Can lasagna be plural?
But! You just throw everything into one skillet – done. It’s one of my most favorite things. Easiest dinner ever.
Who has time to layer noodles and meat and cheese in a dish when there is reality TV trash to watch and magazines to be read and peanut butter filled eggs to eat? Oooh, or should I say coconut filled eggs? Yeah. Coconut filled eggs. Ummmm… please tell me you had some of those over the last few days. My one big plan for the day is to go buy out alllllll the coconut cream filled eggs on clearance.
Who’s with me?
So even though it is still pretty darn cold here, since it is April and Easter has happened, it is freaking SPRING. I don’t care anymore and I’m not waiting for the weather to tell me so either.
I am strung out on mint green and denim jackets.
The traditional version is still probably my favorite, though like most things, it totally depends on your food mood. You might remember that back in the fall, I made a butternut squash version but used some chicken to keep the texture lovable. I really wanted to try to do a veggie version (yeah yeah – it’s April Fools, but this is no joke) and figured that asparagus and mushrooms and stuff would give us enough chew and a little crunch. And even for this veggie loather… it did.
Don’t even know myself anymore.
Springtime Veggie Skillet Lasagna
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 bunch of asparagus spears, 12-15, ends removed and cut into thirds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare water for pasta and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cooking according to directions, shaving a few minutes off the time.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add in onions and mushrooms, tossing to coat, then cover and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add in garlic and spinach, stirring well and cook until the spinach wilts and cooks down. Add in asparagus, tossing well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour to create a roux and cook until golden brown and nutty, about 1-2 minutes. Add in milk and whisk continuously until the mixture is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parmesan cheese. Season with a pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Once the cheese is melted and the sauce is slightly thickened, pour over the vegetables in the skillet and turn off the heat. Add in the cooked lasagna noodles and gently toss to distribute. Cover with scoops of ricotta and the grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove and serve with extra parmesan!
Bubbly cheese is where it’s at.