Everything is better when tiny.

Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits I howsweeteats.com

This is what you get when you combine a few ingredients (chives, cream cheese) that you don’t really care about: something wildly delicious.

I am alllll over them.

Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits I howsweeteats.com

What? Doesn’t everybody cut their mini biscuits with an amaretto bottle top?

After patting out my dough, I realized that I didn’t have something mini to make my oh-so mini biscuits. I ran around like a wild woman for a few moments before looking at all the booze in the bar and deciding that yes, this top on the amaretto bottle will work just fine.

Twenty minutes later I realized I could have used something like the lid from one of my spices, such as smoked paprika or cumin or whatever but… oh well. This gave me an excuse for a cocktail.

Like we need an excuse.

Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits I howsweeteats.com

So. I think I now enjoy mini biscuits better than regular biscuits. Not only can you eat more (mini = eat as many as you want, calorie free, duh) but you can just pop ’em in your mouth! And they are perfect for side dishes and things like soups and stews and summery salads. Like biscuit croutons if you will.

You know, I don’t even think I ate real biscuits until I was a teenager? They were one of my favorite things but not something my mom would make often. Unless we are talking about Grands in a can… which ummm, I still sort of love. Not gonna lie. But back in the day, I was biscuitless. And we’re talking for most of my life. Long ago. Like the days when I thought Comic Sans was a professionally acceptable font.

Just no.

I made these little biscuits because they come as part of one of my favorite local restaurants’ bread baskets. And I am not a bread basket gal. You should know that by now. I can totally take it or leave it unless it is GOOD bread. But this… this is bread stuffed with soft whipped cream cheese. The little buttons practically melt in your mouth. I think I single-handedly consumed like 25 of them.

Minis for the win.

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup freshly chopped chives
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into piece
1/2 cup cold whipped cream cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and soda, salt and chives, stirring well to coat. Using your hands, a fork or a pastry blender, add the butter and mix until coarse crumbles form. I like to use my hands for this and I spend about 5 full minutes rubbing the butter and flour through my fingers until the consistency is the same throughout the mix. Once finished, add in the cream cheese in spoonfuls. You're going to do the same as you did with the butter - but you don't want to mix the cream cheese in as much. A spoon works better here and just combine it until there are a few larger chunks of cream cheese and it's worked into the flour.

Add the buttermilk and stir until it is JUST combined - do not overmix! Add some flour to your workspace and place the dough on top. I sprinkle some additional flour on top of the dough, then use my hands and pat it into a circle that is about one inch thick. Take a small biscuit cutter or even the (clean) lid to one of your spice containers and cut the biscuits into rounds. You want to use an instrument that is roughly one inch in diameter. Place on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, until slightly golden. These are best served warm when the cream cheese is still soft!

Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits I howsweeteats.com

I tried to take a bite picture for you buuuut… I just kept eating them.

83 Responses to “Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits.”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — May 15, 2013 @ 6:56 am

I’m totally flipping over these biscuits! I know I’d absolutely love them!

Tieghan — May 15, 2013 @ 7:16 am

Mini is always better for sure! These are so cute and I love that I can just pop a couple in my mouth. So perfect for summer BBQ’s and I am really the the cream cheese + chive combo! Sounds pretty good!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 15, 2013 @ 7:20 am

These little biscuits looks super fab! Couldn’t agree more – the tinier the better :)

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — May 15, 2013 @ 7:32 am

I am so in to tiny food. It makes you feel you are almost eating nothing at all, so it doesn’t count right ; ). drool worthy

Quinn Cooper — May 15, 2013 @ 7:35 am

Wow these look delicious.
    I love scones they remind me of afternoon tea, which is one of my favorite things to do with my girlfriends.
    Love that you made them mini, such a cute idea!
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 15, 2013 @ 7:43 am

Totally cute! Could your biscuits get any cuter!! I love them!!! They would be perfect in my salad!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 15, 2013 @ 7:48 am

These are so freaking adorable! I wholeheartedly agree that mini means you can eat more. ;) And LOVE that reference to Comic Sans. Honestly, what were we thinking!?

Amy W — May 15, 2013 @ 8:04 am

I saw mini biscuits for the first time on DDD. Seeing them again on your page, I’m still absolutely flipping for them. So cute!

Monica — May 15, 2013 @ 8:09 am

These look sensational! I love the crust on them. A local restaurant here offers something very similar – theirs is rosemary – that I can’t resist either…good thing they come in small packages.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 15, 2013 @ 8:13 am

Love the amaretto top as biscuit cutter. Necessity is the mother of invention!

And bread stuffed with soft whipped cream cheese that melts in your mouth…mmm, so good! And mini food is so each to just pop, one after the next!

Molly @Bakelette — May 15, 2013 @ 8:21 am

Itty bitty biscuits! Love them!
    I was going to say wow that is one classy biscuit cutter!
    And yay for mini food with no calories!!

heather — May 15, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Ooooh, they’re just the cutest! I’d eat about 20. For starters. :)

Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 15, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Cream cheese. Just smear me.

Karly — May 15, 2013 @ 9:12 am

Did you just admit to not really caring about cream cheese?

I am hurt. On behalf of the cream cheese, I ask you to TAKE IT BACK.

I mean, really. Cream cheese is my life. And, now, so are these biscuits.

• Jessica — May 15th, 2013 @ 9:14 am

ha! i’m just sort of… blah about it when it’s plain. i love it on a (very toasted) bagel or when it’s flavored with something crazy. otherwise… meh.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 15, 2013 @ 9:24 am

Look at those cutie patooties! I want dozens of ’em!

joelle @ on a pink typewriter — May 15, 2013 @ 9:25 am

Haha I love the multipurpose bottle top. :)

Heather @ A Sweet Simple Life — May 15, 2013 @ 9:28 am

Mini food is so much fun. It’s just way better to eat something not-super-great-for-you if it’s cute! Love these… Def going to try them GF.

Erika @ balancedspoon.com — May 15, 2013 @ 9:30 am

Wow these look amazingly delicious.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — May 15, 2013 @ 9:54 am

So cute! AND btw, I always always always cut my biscuits with a wine glass. Classy.

Amanda @ Food, Fitness, Faith — May 15, 2013 @ 10:17 am

“biscuit croutons, if you will” made me laugh for an unusual amount of time! These look adorable and probably taste even better!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — May 15, 2013 @ 10:28 am

I love when things are in miniature form! They taste so much better and yes, to unlimited amounts to eat! These will definitely be made in my house soon.

Marie @ Little Kitchie — May 15, 2013 @ 10:42 am

Chive biscuits are my love language. Love how cuuuute and teeny these are!

allie@sweetpotatobites — May 15, 2013 @ 10:47 am

cream cheese and chive – heck yes. and mini biscuits are so cute!

Courtney — May 15, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Hahaha Comic Sans. I fell in love with Comic Sans one day when my friend sent me an IM (on oldschool AOL obviously)(with my dial up connection) written in Comis Sans. I was like WHAT IS THIS MAGNIFICENT FONT. Now that I’m an adult I get all twitchy when things are in anyting but Times New Roman. Boring.

Anyway, these biscuits look amazing. Though I’m slightly concerned that they make FIFTY? I better wait till I have company….otherwise my boyfriend will eat about 5 and I wll eat about 45. This is a fact.

• Courtney — May 15th, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

Comic*….anything*….will* ..touchscreens are not my friend.

Amanda — May 15, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

Love the minis! They look so wonderful, thanks!

Mr. & Mrs. P — May 15, 2013 @ 12:10 pm

They look amazing!

Larry — May 15, 2013 @ 12:27 pm

Ummmmmmmmmmm… not everything is better mini.
    (that’s what she said)
    BUT THESE. Look amazing. Like I could eat that entire basket full in the last picture. ♥

steph@stephsbitebybite — May 15, 2013 @ 1:42 pm

Mini is always better! Better for quick eating, better for not keeping count, and better because they’re just cute!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — May 15, 2013 @ 1:58 pm

I feel ya on the cream cheese thing. I’m just not a fan, but I love it mixed in things. Mini food is like food at Disney World- calories just don’t exist! (I used to serve food at Disney so I can say that with absolute certainty.)

Eileen — May 15, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

So tiny! I imagine that the best part of these is eating them by the handful. :) I also love the idea of adding cream cheese for the richest biscuit ever.

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — May 15, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

These are so dang cute and pop-able! I’d be in trouble if I made these…actually, I’m definitely going to make these. They look delicious!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — May 15, 2013 @ 2:55 pm

I’m totally wanting one of these biscuits right now! So awesome!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 15, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Adorable! I could probably eat 20 of these…

Michelle — May 15, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

Ahhhhh I’m going to eat ALL THE BABY BISCUITS!

Meagan @ Crazy Good Cooking — May 15, 2013 @ 5:09 pm

These look awesome! I am adding these to my must make list!

Laurie E. — May 15, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

That’s the kind of picture that makes one salivate.

Marie — May 15, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

I’ve decided recently we were separated at birth!! I love this and all your reasoning to go along with eating more of them and cocktails. =) I look forward to checking you out EVERY day!

Wendy — May 15, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

What fun! Single bite, pop them in your mouth biscuits! I would happily have these for dinner with a side of salad. :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 15, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

I want to put these mini biscuits on top of everything!!!!! PS- I love how ‘creative’ you were with finding your mini biscuit cutter!

Jimmy — May 15, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

Oh my goodness. I must make these in the near future!

Gina — May 15, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

I can’t wait to try these…probably dinner this weekend

Meghan @ The Tasty Fork — May 15, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

Love the minis! I could eat those babies like popcorn.

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings — May 15, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

Your food always looks and sounds soo delicous. I have to avoid your blog late at night (like I’m not doing right now) just so I won’t go raid the pantry. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Abbe@This is How I Cook — May 15, 2013 @ 11:24 pm

After a few days in Phoenix taking care of my mother who hasn’t been well- well, all she has wanted is biscuits. We did the baking powder variety yesterday and the the buttermilk variety tonight and now you are making me have to do a third night of biscuits. Thank you very much! i can’t wait!

liana — May 16, 2013 @ 2:03 am

I’m not sure what I love most about your blog: your photos (breathtaking), your recipes (I like your tastes in food), or your funny stories! And in this part of the world the little things are also calorie-free, so I can’t wait to make theese :)

Nicole — May 16, 2013 @ 10:34 am

These looks delicious! I love cream cheese and chives, so this would be extra awesome! Crumbles in your mouth not in your hand. ha :)

heather — May 16, 2013 @ 11:39 am

I just had to come back and tell you that I dreamed about eating these! I’ve been on allergy meds so I went back to bed this morning and dreamed you were having a dinner party and I was there with no makeup on (!!) and you were all “you look great, have some biscuits!”

I woke up laughing! Thanks for being sweet to me. The biscuits were good, too. (wink)

• Jessica — May 16th, 2013 @ 11:41 am

haha! oh my… i love you.

Arthur in the Garden! — May 16, 2013 @ 11:59 am

Cute and yummy in one package!

Rachel Cooks — May 16, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

These are sooooo cute!

Kristin D — May 16, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

I love this – I have a co-worker who uses Comic Sans as her email font. We work in a really professional (not artsy, not fun, we’re not kindergarten teachers) industry and it is SO not appropriate. Just WEIRD.

1. Pingback: Article: Mini Cream Cheese + Chive Biscuits. | Joy & Fun & Tips @ Alp's

2. Pingback: Thursday’s Thoughts- | kml image works

3. Pingback: Savory & Sweet | Jennifer Michie

4. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

5. Pingback: Mini biscuiti cu crema de branza si chives | Pasiune cu gust

6. Pingback: Mini biscuit cu crema de branza si chives | Pasiune cu gust

7. Pingback: Awesome Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dishes - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion

8. Pingback: Mini Cream Cheese and Green Onion Biscuits and Spicy Sausage Gravy · i am a food blog i am a food blog

9. Pingback: Mini Cream Cheese and Green Onion Biscuits and Spicy Sausage Gravy | Hospitality Times