happy 4th of July! This is what we’re doing today.

And below is what we’re using. I KNOW.

Three ingredients. Well, four if you want to turn this slightly pink and pretty. I used one tiny drop of neon food coloring. I find that to be a success, considering I want to cover my entire life in neon pink, sparkly crap and and iridescent glitter. I really held back.

Okay.

So my mom has been making this old school fruit dip nearly every holiday for prooooobably close to twenty years. People go nuts for it.

Are these the most natural ingredients? No. Of course not. But they straight up taste like 1995. Real whipped cream (like whipped-it-yourself) just does not hold up outdoors at an all-day party. Heck, it doesn’t hold up all day indoors at room temperature. A mixture of toasted coconut and sugar just doesn’t give the same flavor as that little instant pudding packet. What I’m trying to say is that you NEED all the hydrogenated this and artificial that in this dip.

It’s what makes it.

Three Ingredient Fruit Dip

Yield: serves 4-6 as long as other appetizers are around

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

12 ounces of Cool Whip
1 (3.4 ounce) box of instant coconut cream pudding mix
2-3 tablespoons of coconut rum

optional: a drop of pink food coloring

assorted fruit for dipping!

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a giant bowl and mix, mix, mix! You can use an electric mixer if you prefer to make it more creamy. My mom does not measure out the Cool Whip and uses anywhere from 8-16 ounces, so it truly just depends on your preference. There may be a bit of extra texture in the dip (aside from the coconut) due to the instant pudding - it will dissolve as it sits.

You can obviously leave out the rum if serving this to children. My mom never did and we turned out fine. (That's subjective.)

This needs to be refrigerated but thanks to the Cool Whip, can sustain heat and room temperatures for hours on end at a party. Ew gross. And amazing.

And I’m not even going to tell you how much of this I ate straight out of that bowl with a spoon.

42 Responses to “Throwback 4th of July: My Mom’s Favorite Fruit Dip.”

Tracy | Peanut Butter And Onion — July 4, 2013 @ 7:01 am

This looks so yummy, and simple… can’t wait to try it… Happy 4th of July America!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 4, 2013 @ 7:06 am

I love it! Simple, easy, tasty and pretty! Happy 4th of July Jessica!!

Amy — July 4, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I’ll have to try that. The one my family always makes has marshmallow fluff, cream cheese, and enough juice from a jar of maraschino cherries to give it some color. Happy 4th!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 4, 2013 @ 8:13 am

Happy 4th of July! That looks perfect for the celebration! YUM!

Tieghan — July 4, 2013 @ 8:27 am

My mom was into the cool whip dip too. Soo good!
    Happy 4th!

Jackie l Food.Wine.Fashion — July 4, 2013 @ 8:37 am

This looks stupid delicious. Sometimes it’s nice to treat yourself to overprocessed, find-it-in-the-freezer-section foods. Happy 4th!

xo Jackie

Annie Kruse — July 4, 2013 @ 8:59 am

OMG! Funny how perceptions have changed. 30 years ago nobody batted an eyelid when it came to using processed ingredients. Bet it taste yummy!

Happy 4th July to all you American people!

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — July 4, 2013 @ 9:15 am

Happy 4th! Love this fruit dip!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — July 4, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Haha, the fruit is totally just an excuse!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — July 4, 2013 @ 9:48 am

Great dip, Jessica! Happy 4th!! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 4, 2013 @ 9:50 am

My mom makes a dip sort of like this with pudding mix, cool whip, and shredded coconut – and sometimes she puts in chunks of angel food cake. I like your idea of Malibu way better!

Megan — July 4, 2013 @ 9:55 am

We’ve always made a super simple fruit dip just with Cool Whip and strawberry yogurt, but I fully support adding booze to the mix!

Brittany — July 4, 2013 @ 10:38 am

This looks delicious! Happy 4th of July!!

bridget {bake at 350} — July 4, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

Oh yum! This is what fruit has been missing all of these years! ;)

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — July 4, 2013 @ 1:04 pm

Fruit dip is like, my favorite thing on the planet. So I’m definitely okay with any amount of artificial-ness going on here..

Karen — July 4, 2013 @ 1:12 pm

Who cares if it’s artificial! Looks delicious!

Kristina — July 4, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

oh. my. FourthofJuly STARS this looks incredible. I love that it is pink. Jason is heading to the store for some last minute things, I have three more ingredients to add to his list.

HAPPY FOURTH!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 4, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Never would I typically eat any of those ingredients but together they are calling to me. And of course I would make it Pink!

Erica — July 4, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

So fun! My favorite is cool whip mixed with fruity yogurt- so easy, so good!

Shauna — July 4, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

I grew up in Illinois, surrounded by edible kitsch. This dip speaks to me. And actually, I think we used to have an equally crazy fruit dip, but there was cream cheese and marshmallow fluff involved. Glorious!

Theresa Sea — July 4, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

I totally made this today (how could I not?!)! I couldn’t find Coconut pudding mix at my Jewel, so I improvised with vanilla pudding, coconut extract, and coconut flakes. Holy goodness, this went FAST!

Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen — July 5, 2013 @ 12:08 am

Malibu in a fruit dip sounds AMAZINGS!!!

Jennifer — July 5, 2013 @ 10:24 am

That looks great! We’ll have to give it a try one of these days.

Melissa in NJ — July 5, 2013 @ 10:51 am

hilarious posting! I.m pinning this and will be using at my next party! nom nom!

• Melissa in NJ — July 5th, 2013 @ 10:53 am

My one piece of advice is — to put a glamour shot of the three ingredients WITH the final result cuz it makes a cooler pin. Thanks!

Suzanne Holthaus — July 5, 2013 @ 11:01 am

The pink food coloring cracked me up. My grandmother made the best divinity ever. She would make a batch without nuts and put coconut flavoring in it and color it pink. You had to color it pink if it was “cokernut” flavored. Thanks for making me think of her!

Rachel — July 5, 2013 @ 11:36 am

I don’t know how it would work in this, but in all my recipes that use Cool Whip I make it work by dissolving a packet of gelatin in cold water, then placing the bowl of bloomed gelatin in another bowl of hot water to melt it. Then you pour that into the cream and whip it up like usual. It gets really stiff like Cool Whip, and hold up great in recipes like Strawberry Pretzel Dessert and things that need the consistency of Cool Whip. Just without all the nastiness.

• Donna — July 5th, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

WHAT a fantastic idea…especially for those of us living “across the pond” with zero access to real-deal Cool Whip!…Question…how much cold H20 do you bloom the packer of gelatin in?…Do you then use the same amount of cream as called for in this amazing fruit-loving fluff?

Thank you Jessica and Rachel!!

Barb | Creative Culinary — July 5, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I do much the same thing as Rachel just mentioned but I’m thinking part of the beauty of this dip is a combination of ease, throwback and an absolute disregard for having to add anything of true merit. Sometimes things work just the way they are…right or wrong!!

I make a cake at Christmas that uses a box mix and packaged pudding. I could probably recreate it but why? It tastes great (it has rum too!) but part of me thinks that if I changed the ingredients it simply would not be the same cake with the same memories.

jule — July 5, 2013 @ 11:58 am

jummi!

Ross @ TheFaceBaby — July 5, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

…you got that sparkly crap problem again? I thought you were seeing a doctor for that! :P

Nessa — July 5, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Don’t worry- I also have the neon sparkly crap problem ;)
    The dip look fantabulous!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 5, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

Oh wow, I bet this tastes so fantastic! I can’t wait to make this myself, it looks addicting!

Sevimin Askanasi — July 6, 2013 @ 3:25 am

I love a great,
    There are simply too quick

Arthur in the Garden! — July 6, 2013 @ 7:05 pm

Rum? I am on it!

Laurie E. — July 8, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Artifical dip- that’s okay cause we’re dipping FRUIT in it! Equals it out.

Jess — July 12, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

I want to make this for a bridal shower tomorrow, but my grocery store didn’t have the coconut cream pudding, not even a spot on the shelves for it! I’m going to use vanilla pudding and add shredded coconut. I couldn’t find coconut extract either, so maybe I’ll just add an extra splash of the rum. I hope it’s as good as yours looks!

1. Pingback: Planning for Paris

2. Pingback: Football Party Food! [185 Dips, Appetizers, Sweets and Other Recipes for Football Season]

3. Pingback: 3 Delicious Desserts That’ll Make You Fall In Love With Cool Whip | Splatter

4. Pingback: 冷たい鞭を使う21の高級な方法 | アメリカ最新美味しい~食事!こんな新しいメニュー見たことない!

5. Pingback: Fruit Dip Roundup - 365ish Days of Pinterest