1. I have been LIVING ON melons with spoons the last few weeks. Like just give me a half of a cantaloupe or watermelon and a spoon and I am good to go. I can’t get enough. I don’t even need any of the yogurt/honey/toasted nuts/insert whatever you’re going to tell me is amazing on melon here. The simple, really cold fruit is just so refreshing. Me days easily go like this: cantaloupe -> avocado toast -> tomatoes, burrata, basil + balsamic -> sprinkled iced cream.

2. Uh. Bad news bears. Last week I ordered a large and in charge iced coffee from Starbucks and even though I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had ordered a large iced coffee elsewhere, one from Starbucks is giant-er and basically an illegal drug. I don’t like this me.

3. Majorly blog crushing on wit and vinegar. I need this blueberry pie sundae in my life.

4. This is so embarrassingly me: 27 signs of an obsessive list maker.

5. Last week while I was in the kitchen and determined I was bored of every playlist and pandora station known to man, I started to watch the West Wing on netflix and ummm… I’m sort of hooked.

6. In more TV news, I don’t know why but I am still loving Dexter sososo much this season. However, I feel like he or Deb may kick the bucket by the end of the series.  In movie news, I watched Spring Breakers when I was banned to the couch with sickness, or should I say, I tried to watch Spring Breakers. The entire time I was just like what… is… this. I don’t understand. What… is… happening. I am so confused. Made no sense to me. I was also like omgthisissoinappropriate! I am old.

7. Over the weekend I bought this gorgeous sparkly pinkish-purple lipgloss at Sephora and then proceeded to get in my car and put it all over my lips. Only to find out that it is EYE SHADOW. Which I guess makes sense, considering I looked like a cross between a frosty-lipped 1980s hooker and… a unicorn.

8. Let’s talk books! But – new books. Have you read any recent releases lately that you love?

9. Words cannot express how freaking excited I am to go on vacation in a few weeks. I feel like my excitement ranks up there with a ten year old’s excitement. I am going to eat all the s’mores.

85 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Alison — July 16, 2013 @ 11:06 am

I don’t know if this is true, but I feel like Starbucks is more caffeinated than other coffee. I had a grande iced coffee there the other day and felt like I had had three espressos! Dangerous.

Hillary — July 16, 2013 @ 11:06 am

Spring Breakers was either the biggest waste of 90 minutes that I can now never get back…or cinematic genius.

And the only reason I am considering cinematic genius is because of the Britney Spears montage when he plays the piano and they prance around with automatic weapons. Let’s face it, a Britney montage is always appropriate.

Tieghan — July 16, 2013 @ 11:07 am

I too am living off of summer fruit, tomatoes, cheese and ah lots and lots of ice cream!! Duh, it is summer. That is what I like in the summer!

As for Dexter I still have not started the new season. No time… yet! trust me, I need to make time because I used to LOVE Dexter! Oh and Spring Breakers? Yeah, my brother watched that the other day on the couch and well, it looked so stupid. He hated it, but continued to watch it solely because Selena Gomez was in it. Obviously, he is 17 and thinks she is so hot.
    Welcome to my life with tons and tons of boys. LOL.

Oh and vacay? That sounds so nice!! Hope you have tons and tons of fun and S’mores….In like every form!

Kristina — July 16, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I say go ahead and keep wearing it as a lip gloss…

Monique — July 16, 2013 @ 11:11 am

1. You already read my big summer read “Tao of Martha” by Jen Lancaster.
    2. “Code Name Verity” by Elizabeth Wein. Ultimate BFF/Girl Power book set in England during WWII. May make you cry though.
    3. As you’re a fan of Northern Michigan, you need to read “Bootstrapper: From Broke to Badass on a Northern Michigan Farm” by Mardi Jo Link.

Stephanie — July 16, 2013 @ 11:12 am

Since my significan other only eats sweet stuff for breakfast, I recently amped up CHOW’s simple banana bread recipe by adding cinnamon, milk chocolate chips, chopped hazelnuts and two scraped out vanilla pods… I am obsessed!! So good. You should try it!

Hillary — July 16, 2013 @ 11:23 am

I just finished “Revenge Wears Prada,” the sequel to The Devil Wears Prada – I highly recommend it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 16, 2013 @ 11:27 am

Weren’t you just in Nantucket on vacation? I swear I may be losing my sense of time, though. Life has been a whirlwind. I can hardly keep my own schedule straight so remembering anyone else’s is up in the air! But have a blast on your smores-eating trip :)

• Jessica — July 16th, 2013 @ 11:39 am

nantucket was for work. it was gorgeous and we adored it but it was 5 straight days of work – no relaxation!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 16th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Ugh – gotcha. Well then…you MORE than deserve this next trip and to kick your heels up and not worry about a thing!

Heather — July 16, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I love Dexter… but warn about spoilers if you give any… I’m a season behind!!! XD

I also love West Wing and have watched it twice on Netflix now… it’s… addicting.

Finally, books… The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman was awesome… just finished that.
    Also really loved Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey, although this one is sort of a guilty pleasure, Dresden-esque book… absolutely a wonderful summer read!

Melanie — July 16, 2013 @ 11:31 am

The West Wing is probably one of the best series. Ever. But if you’re looking for something new to watch, check out The Newsroom, also an Aaron Sorkin masterpiece :)

For books, I recently read (and loved) Mindy Kaling’s “Is Everyone Handing Out Without Me?”

Alexis — July 16, 2013 @ 11:32 am

Now I just really want a margarita. With a lot of salt. Yum.

Belinda @themoonblushbaker — July 16, 2013 @ 11:37 am

Oh I am dexter fan girl to the max! I am still harbouring a slight (massive) crush on him right now…
    It is only natural to be addicted to melons in summer, they have such a high water content that it refreshes you every time you take a tasty bite. Really go for it, you only get such lovely fruit once a year.

Kacy — July 16, 2013 @ 11:38 am

I really can’t decide how I feel about Dexter this season. It’s just… weird. But not bad. But I don’t want it to end! Waaaaaaah.

Kelly — July 16, 2013 @ 11:41 am

Reading the comments is not helping me with my list making problem…

I just read and really liked Gold by Chris Cleave and The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis.

FailedMuffins — July 16, 2013 @ 11:42 am

Try reading “The Dinner” by Herman Koch. Mind blowing.

Mary @ The Kitchen Paper — July 16, 2013 @ 11:44 am

OMG DEXTER. I’m freaking out over this season – it makes me really nervous!! Deb is out of control! And creepy old lady doctor is definitely sketchy! I seriously have no clue what to expect.

Books: not really a new release, but I just finished “Last Child” by John Hart and couldn’t put it down. It’s totally not my normal style (it’s scary and mysterious!), but totally captivating and worth a read.

Colleen — July 16, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

I’m leaving for vacay this week. I’ve been packed for a week!! Yes, everything is now wrinkled. Ha! The Outlander series is completely riveting.

Sarah G. — July 16, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

I also feel like Starbucks increased the size of their tea bags, if that’s possible. I ordered a large with two tea bags as usual, and was super jittery all day! I have not made that mistake again!

Also, if you have not yet read “Ocean at the End of the Lane” be Neil Gaiman, then please do. It’s less than 200 pages, but you will not want it to ever end! It’s easily one of my top three best reads.

Elinor — July 16, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

“Beautiful Day” by Elin Hilderbrand. All her books take place on Nantucket and are really good summer beachy reads

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — July 16, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

OMG DEXTER!! It’s basically my life, along with True Blood of course… I am feeling like there is going to be a big death this season – either Dexter or Deb. Though I am kind of freaked out by that Vogel chick and I am secretly wondering if she is a crazy psychopath herself and we just don’t know it yet…. GAH!

Emily — July 16, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

I am an obsessive list maker too! Sadly, that link was soo true…I actually bought a new notebook last night :(

Books: I just finally read What Alice Forgot on vacation last week and loved it. It was a super easy, one day beach read.

I’m with you on Deb…she’s a goner!

Loran — July 16, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

West Wing on Netflix + homemade ice cream is pretty much the best thing ever.

Katie — July 16, 2013 @ 12:45 pm

I recently read “Battleborn,” a book of short stories by Claire Vaye Watkins, and thought it was excellent. Each one is dark and fascinating (the author’s story is fascinating, as well). I love short stories for a change of pace, and they’re great for the summer

Trixie — July 16, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

WEST WING!!!! Ahhh, we love that show so much. And I have a serious crush on Sam.

Also, cantaloupe with a spoon sounds amazing right now! Typically that’s a fruit that isn’t my favorite, but I’ve been loving it lately.

Ruth — July 16, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

LOL about your lipgloss/eyeshadow. Something I would do. Love the obsessive list – maybe bc I make way too many lists…..
    Try The Orphan Train, The Language of Flowers, The Roots of the Olive Tree- loved them all.

• Brianne Wilson — July 16th, 2013 @ 1:36 pm

The Orphan Train was excellent!

Harper — July 16, 2013 @ 12:51 pm

I arrived late to the West Wing bandwagon myself and cannot understand how everyone has not seen all the season and isn’t willing to discuss them with me.

Jenna @ Sensationallyseasonal.com — July 16, 2013 @ 12:52 pm

Hahahaha! Love the cross between a unicorn and 80s hooker look! I’ve done that a few times…(I used blush as a lipstick. It too was sparkly and pink. I had no idea until my sister saw me reapplying and shamed me. I think she was just jealous that she didn’t look like a hookin unicorn!)

Books, I am all about fluff reads in the summer, you know chick lit and all that. I have been on a Sophie Kinsella kick these days and just read I’ve Got Your Number a couple weeks ago. It was adorable. I read the entire book in an afternoon and finished it smiling and happy. Perfect for a summer afternoon.

sally — July 16, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

I just finished Sisterland https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16099180-sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld, author of American Wife and Prep. I enjoyed it – def a good summer read for the pool or beach – or just an air-conditioned room in my case ;)
    Cheers from a fellow coffee addict – no shame it is good for you! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/coffee-health-benefits_b_2962490.html

Laurie E. — July 16, 2013 @ 1:17 pm

#7—- I ALMOST fell outta my chair laughing. As a matter of fact, I’m still laughing. I haven’t even read beyond #7 yet. I need a few minutes.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — July 16, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

Oh my gosh I always feel so old because teen movies make my skin crawl, they’re so inappropriate!!!
    I read “The Engagements” last week and you’ll love it!!

Lenore Smith — July 16, 2013 @ 1:33 pm

Most importantly, why have you not posted the recipe to that gorgeous, chilly-looking drink?!?!?!?! Enough teasing!!!

Brianne Wilson — July 16, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

Book: Whistling Past the Graveyard…. I’d say it’s a mix between The Help and The Secret Life of Bees. Great book!

Maggie @ Just a Couple More Pages — July 16, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

Books! I recommend On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves. It’s not a new release, but I just finished it this morning and it was amazing!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — July 16, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

Watermelon and spoon sounds like my daily breakfast lately!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run — July 16, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

starbucks iced coffee can mess me up too, holy moly!

i highly suggest you try their iced coffee with the clover brewing machine – yummm!

Victoria V — July 16, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

Ahhh!! West Wing is the best. My husband and I watched all 7 seasons a few years ago and I’m dying to do it again. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I haven’t watched any of Dexter this season. The episodes are sitting on my DVR..I don’t know if it’s because I’m sad it’s ending or if because I thought last season was an excellent stopping point – I feel like they could’ve wrapped things up – but I’m just not clamoring to watch this season yet. It’ll happen and then I’ll be happy I have them all waiting for me. ;)

Katie — July 16, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

Hello!

“Where’d you go, Bernadette?” and “Ready Player One” are both great summer reads (I got particularly obsessed with “Ready Player One.”

Also #westwingforlife

Beth — July 16, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

Dexter! After what happened to Rita forever ago…anything could happen on this show. But I’m with you, it is awesome this season. I’m taking an inappropriate amount of glee in Deb’s tortured life. She’s finally interesting to me because she’s tortured. Wow what does that say about me!!

Mary Clay | Cooking with the King — July 16, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

The list thing. Oh my. Totally me. Ha!

gigi — July 16, 2013 @ 3:25 pm

Thank you for making me crack up at #7 and thanks for sharing!

Sofia — July 16, 2013 @ 4:19 pm

Would highly recommend the Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls as a summer read

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — July 16, 2013 @ 4:22 pm

I just read “What Alice Forgot” and really enjoyed it. It’d be perfect for a vacation read!

And after my husband and I finish watching LOST on Netflix we are going to either start The West Wing or Friday Night Lights. We’ve heard so much about the West Wing!

Sarah — July 16, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

I don’t know if all places do this, but I work at Wegmans and in their coffee bar the iced coffee is double the strength of the regular coffee (so when the ice starts to melt it doesn’t get too diluted) . Maybe Starbuck’s does this as well. I always suck mine down before the ice has a chance to melt though.

Hillary — July 16, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

I cannot recommend Where’d You Go, Bernadette and The Interestings enough. Two of my favorite reads of late!

AliSue — July 16, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

I just finished re watching the West Wing! Completely thought of you last night while writing my blog, I had 13 going on 30 playing. I felt you & the fellow readers would understand, while my hubby thought I was crazy! If you want a fast summer fun read, The Heist by Janet Evanovich was really good! Love all the book ideas & am making my library list as a bonus!

David @ From Ballparks to BBQ — July 16, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

You had me at Blueberry Pie Sundae.

Lauren — July 16, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

I make coffee ice cubes at night. I fix up a pot of coffee exactly how I like it- and pour it into ice cube molds (you can get them at the dollar store) so when they melt, it doesn’t dilute your coffee. :)

Emily @ Life on Food — July 16, 2013 @ 6:54 pm

I just finished the storyteller by jodi picoult. I don’t normally like her books but this one was really good. Also the round house.

Andrea — July 16, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

This is not a recent release, but read the Outlander series. It is freaking amazing.

Kerry F — July 16, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes was a very good read. Also, for a great margarita try this one
    The DeKuyper O3 is a fantastic replacement for triple sec or the more expensive orange liqueurs. Yum!