I made you something that you can put on your face and eat!

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

Okay. You really shouldn’t eat it. I mean, if push came to shove, you totally could.

I wouldn’t exactly recommend it though. Shhhhh.

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

I mentioned in my October favorites how quickly we blew through the tree hut sugar scrub. I say “we” (even though I initially thought it was just “I”) because my husband outed himself in the comments and said he had used quite a bit of it himself. It made sense because I KNEW I didn’t use it all. Sneaky sneaky.

Now that I’m back in sugar scrub mode, I wanted to make my own and obviously chose a flavor (err… scent?) that would leave me hungry. Or starving. Or at least craving sugar.

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

I’ve used coconut oil as a moisturizer for years, but there is something else that happens when you combine it with an exfoliant and use it as a scrub. Holy freaking soft skin. I AM IN LOVE! I’ve been using this for over a week and completely adore it. I may never buy a scrub again!

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

Not only should you make this for yourself right this second, but you can make one giant batch and dump it in cute little jars and string them with pretty ribbons for homemade gifts. You are probably way more crafty than me and can decorate these jars all cute and stuff. Can I hire you to make me pretty things please?

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

Homemade Chocolate Coconut Sugar Scrub

Yield: makes about 1 1/2 cups (will fit in 3 (4-ounce) jars)

Total Time: 10 minutes

1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil (in solid form)
1/3 cup almond oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
a few drops of coconut extract or essential oil

Add all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix until combined. I like to mix with the back of a spoon until the coconut oil all breaks down and no chunks remaining. If desired, top the scrub with a few chocolate chips or cacao nibs before packaging.
To use the scrub, simply rub it over your skin and wash off! FYI: I do not use this on my face. I do use it on my lips though - so perfect! As long as you are using this once a week or every other, it should stay fine at room temperature.

homemade chocolate coconut sugar scrub I howsweeteats.com

Know what this reminds me of? Brownie batter. That’s what it smells like. It’s brownie body batter!

70 Responses to “Homemade Chocolate Coconut Sugar Scrub.”

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — November 14, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

This is straight up dangerous!!

• Melissa L Jones — November 24th, 2014 @ 12:14 am

Dangerous for rough skin maybe. But that’s it.

Beth @ bethcakes — November 14, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Omg, I love this! I’ve made my own sugar scrubs a few times, and I used coconut oil too. I can’t ever get the oil/sugar ratio the way I want it though. I was considering giving up and buying some until I saw this. Definitely going to try it!

Vanessa — November 14, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

DAAANG! I had already planned on making sugar scrub for my co-workers and my daughter’s teachers for Christmas this year. Now I know what flavor is going out to them! BIG THANKS for posting this. Looks good enough to eat!

Ellie@Fit for the soul — November 14, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

LOL, just when you’re trying to “treat yourself” to a bath or a nice scrubbing routine instead of resorting to food, you have food right in front of you to eat anyway! :D This is beaaaauuutiful! And I don’t know what it is about the ingredients you used, but I’m willing to give it a try. I do have a question though. How high are the chances of breaking out with these oils? I don’t break out easily and it would be awesome if I could keep it that way. :)

• Jessica — November 14th, 2013 @ 6:03 pm

well first, i wouldn’t put this on my face so i can’t say for sure. BUT – i use straight coconut oil on my face a lot and it only seems to help it. i have dry skin and don’t break out much though.

i can’t imagine it would break you out on your body unless you had some kind of reaction!

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — November 14, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Holy heck. YES. i made a lemon scrub last year but it was not nearly as fabulous as this. LOVE it as a gift idea!!

Danielle — November 14, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

I think I just found what all the women of my family will be receiving for Christmas this year! Jessica strikes AGAIN!

Sarah — November 14, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

How long do you think it keeps or stays useable? For example, could you whip up a batch and then give it as gifts 2 or 3 weeks later with no issues? Just curious.

• Jessica — November 14th, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

definitely a few weeks/months – nothing in there will spoil as long as you’re using it regularly and stirring it around!

Kathy — November 14, 2013 @ 8:31 pm

I was wondering about how long it keeps as well…

• Jessica — November 14th, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

it will definitely be fine at room temp for a few weeks/months as long as you use it regularly! the oil may separate a bit or the coconut oil may firm up, but as long as you mix it, it will be good.

Wendy @ All Kinds of Miles — November 14, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

Ooo I love this! I wonder if it would work well with coffee grinds (grinds? grounds?) in it, too?

• Jessica — November 14th, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

it probably would – but i have slightly sensitive skin and would be afraid they’d be too rough?

• Phoenix — November 17th, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

Coffee grinds/grounds/whatever is correct are really good for reducing cellulite when used as a scrub, so I think it would make a delicious-smelling substitution! :) Thanks Jessica for the recipe! :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — November 14, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

I just want to eat it! Haha!

Sugar scrubs are the best! They aren’t too abrasive which is what I love

Melissa — November 14, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

Wow, this sounds incredible! So unique, too.

Tracy | Pale Yellow — November 14, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

I’ve made my own lip scrub with the same ingredients (minus cocoa) and it was amazing! I’m excited for a chocolate, full body version!

Ellie — November 14, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

omg, i can’t wait to make this for myself and my secret santas!!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — November 14, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

Why bother even using this for your body…just eat it :) Seriously it looks to good to wash off. LOL I can only imagine how heavenly it smells. OMG!!!!! Pinned

Tieghan — November 14, 2013 @ 11:15 pm

Oh my gosh! I bet this smells so good!! Perfect for holiday gifts!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — November 15, 2013 @ 12:50 am

Great idea! Although I feel like I’d always be in danger of eating the whole jar… :)

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — November 15, 2013 @ 2:28 am

Could I just eat it instead? It almost seems wasteful to use as a scrub! haha

Victoria Bakrdjian — November 15, 2013 @ 8:58 am

Omg I love you! I’ve been looking for homemade body scrubs but I’ve been too skeptical about trying them because I have really sensitive skin. You, however, I trust 100%, so I’m so doing this scrub this weekend! If all goes well, I’ll be making these as little Christmas gifts! Thanks so much!

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — November 15, 2013 @ 10:00 am

This looks glorious and I bet it smells amazing. Thanks for the holiday gift idea!

Andrea — November 15, 2013 @ 11:17 am

OMG-I am so making this for the holidays!!! I am not creative-anyone have an idea of where I could get containers to give it as a gift?

Bev @ Bev Cooks — November 15, 2013 @ 11:18 am

Shut up shut up shut up! I’m dying over this and MAKING IT TODAY.

(and probably eating it)

Barbara | Creative Culinary — November 15, 2013 @ 11:27 am

Perfect timing. I make all of my holiday gifts but this year will be different; my daughter and I are both moving before Christmas and I’m looking for things non food related; a scrub was something I was considering but this chocolate and coconut one? So perfect; thanks.

Larry — November 15, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

I hella cracked up when I read “brownie body batter” cuz I envisioned myself saying it out loud and thinking it sounded hilarious. THE THOUGHT OF ME SAYING IT MADE ME LAUGH. It’s early.

Courtney — November 15, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Where did you get your jars to put the sugar scrub in?

I usually make my own sugar scrub because its so crazy easy and so much cheaper, however I am struggling to find a good jar that is good for the shower and won’t get gross. I will have to try this recipe too, I would have to refrain myself from eating it though, it looks so yummy.

Allie — November 16, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

I’m wondering if you could sub out other extracts or oils? I’m not crazy about coconut but would love something like vanilla or peppermint…any thoughts on that combo?

Lauren — November 16, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

Hmm I never bought Almond Oil is this in the olive oil section of a grocery store or. The baking area where extracts are. Oh and I am making this with a peppermint extract and putting in cans for a bath and body basket for my aunt and mom this Christmas.

Julie — November 17, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

I will come over and make the jars all cute if you pay me in cranberry ginger vanilla margaritas. Deal?

Megan {Country Cleaver}} — November 17, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

I make sugar scrub every year for the girls for Xmas. It’s the best stocking stuffer – but CHOCOLATE, girlfriend you slay me.

Heidi — November 20, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

I was able to find all ingredients at Trader Joe’s exept the almond oil.
    Would it be ok if I substituted the Almond oil with Olive oil?

Jessie — November 20, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

I smell like brownies. I wish you could feel all the love I feel for you right now!

Amy — November 20, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

How do i find all your other sugar scrub recipes?

Erin @ The Speckled Palate — December 2, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

Welp, I now know what I’ll be making the ladies in my family for Christmas. Goodness. This sounds amazing!

Sarah — December 10, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Love this one! I make a Coconut Sugar Scrub that is simply delish!! Perfect for holiday gifts!

Elizabeth — December 21, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

Is there any substitute for almond oil , or could I leave it out with a different ratio for the other ingredients

• Kristina — February 9th, 2014 @ 3:04 am

Did you try subbing it? I ask because I want to make it without the almond oil as well.

Dori — July 13, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

Hi Jessica!
    Totally made it but kinda messed it up because I used the coconut oil melted, not solid, so had to add a bit (well, a LOT) more sugar and cocoa powder. I was making them for gifts (a birthday and 2 bachelorettes), so it was totally fine! I also used organic cane sugar vs. brown sugar because that’s all I had! Again, totally turned out fine. The cocoa powder turned it brown. :)
    I absolutely LOVE making sugar scrubs and find them to be so easy, affordable and they do make lovely gifts! Thanks for the inspiration!! Feel free to check out my site at http://www.healingthrufood.com
    Yours in health,

Tessa — September 6, 2014 @ 5:03 am

I made something similar and used peppermint essential oil…. Oh my living hat… I smelled, literally, like a peppermint crisp chocolate bar…. You have to try it!!!!!

Emmaly — January 3, 2015 @ 12:09 am

I love this it works great it left my skin soft and silky

Hani — January 26, 2015 @ 11:28 pm

Hello, I really love homemade scrubs! I will definitely give a try for this chocolate scrub. By the way, how long this scrubs will still good to use after you keep it in a jar? Thank you :)

Nicky — June 24, 2015 @ 5:14 am

Hi. What is the shelf life of your homemade sugar scrubs? Thanks

1. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean

2. Pingback: What I Learned This Week #6 | Pale Yellow

3. Pingback: Five [Awesome] Things I Read This Week, 11.15.2013 | pink-briefcase

4. Pingback: Friday Finds: Kettle Corn, Asgard and Wordpress - DAILY WAFFLE

5. Pingback: Link Love | Hy-vee Health State of Mind

6. Pingback: Holiday Gift Guide: 33 DIY Homemade Presents. | pinmeplease

7. Pingback: Squatter Nut Bosh | Pestosprouts

8. Pingback: November Favorites: Beauty. | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: 2013 Holiday Guide: 20 Easy DIY Gift Ideas | Seaside Vacations

10. Pingback: Mini felt stockings + Mason jar toppers - Handcrafted Parties

11. Pingback: Handmade Christmas – Mint Chocolate Sugar Scrub | Nic Dempsey

12. Pingback: Create: DIY Wood “Carved” Initials Ornaments | the20what

13. Pingback: Crazy for Coconut Oil | Honestly Fitness

14. Pingback: Homemade Face Masks for Beauty Product Addicts. | World of the Starry Eyed

15. Pingback: Crazy for Coconut Oil | Honestly Fitness

16. Pingback: 15 Sugar Scrub Recipes - NaturalReview|Natural Hair. Natural Living. NaturalReview|Natural Hair. Natural Living. - We celebrate all things natural

17. Pingback: 21 Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes (Great for Gifts!!) - The Nourished Life

18. Pingback: diy sugar scrub recipes

19. Pingback: 10 fantastiske kroppsskrubber du kan lage hjemme. Pass på så du ikke spiser dem opp! - Kreative Idéer

20. Pingback: A Natural Gift. | nutricologyuk