This is a serious melt-in-your-mouth little cookie.

Brown Butter Sugar Cookies I howsweeteats.com

For our third cookie of the month over at Better Homes and Gardens, it’s all about BROWN BUTTER.

Surprised? Probably not. If there is butter in my life, it’s brown. As is should be.

For these cookies, I used this exact sugar cookie recipe. I just browned the butter first. Easy as PIE!

Brown Butter Sugar Cookies I howsweeteats.com

The key here is that after you brown the butter, you gotta let it cool. Completely. Back to room temperature, softened butter. I like to brown the butter the night before, pour it in a bowl and let it cool. Once it’s no longer warm, I wrap the bowl in plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter overnight. It’s back to good old softened butter that is ideal for cookie baking come morning.

BUT! You must must must scrape out those delicious brown bits when you mix up the batter. It’s key, I tell you.

Brown Butter Sugar Cookies I howsweeteats.com

GAH. That butter. It’s unreal. Makes everything better.

Brown Butter Sugar Cookies I howsweeteats.com

You can find a little more about the recipe over here. If you make ‘em, be sure to let me know. Brown butter for life.

29 Responses to “Brown Butter Sugar Cookies.”

Taylor @ FoodFaithFitness — December 21, 2013 @ 8:18 am

GAH! My little brain never thought of making brown butter and then letting it come back to perfect-cookie-soft stage. Looks like I am eating cookies forever.

Sarah K — December 21, 2013 @ 8:34 am

I don’t want to sound stupid, but when you were talking about the brown bits do you mean scrape out and INTO the batter, or scrape out and KEEP OUT of the batter. Just want to be sure. Thanks!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2013 @ 9:54 am

scrape the bits INTO the batter. that’s where all the flavor is! ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 21, 2013 @ 9:40 am

Ohhhhhhhh, brown butter sugar cookies sound so good!!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — December 21, 2013 @ 9:43 am

I think I’m gonna go brown some butter right now…..

Layla @ Brunch Time Baker — December 21, 2013 @ 9:53 am

These cookies look wonderful. This is the only way that butter is used in the middle east in all recipes. Once the butter is browned you do not have to refrigerate it! I can only imagine how delicious the cookies smelled and tasted!

Abby — December 21, 2013 @ 10:12 am

You are killing me here. I’ve already made two types of sugar cookies and I just want to toss those out and make these now. Merry Christmas!

Kristen — December 21, 2013 @ 10:13 am

I’m planning on making these for a Christmas party tomorrow! Is there something I can sub for the shortening? I never bake with it so I’d rather not buy a whole container. However, I totally understand if it ‘makes’ the cookie- other than the brown butter of course!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

in the past, i have successfully subbed butter for shortening, but i do feel like certain cookies can be finicky. since you want to make them for a party, i’m not sure if i would do all butter . usually i test both ways but since i did these for BHG, i just used their recipe. there are really small amounts of shortening now in the grocery store (that’s what i buy since i rarely use it) so you can always try that! otherwise, i can’t promise they will come out with all butter.

• Kristen — December 21st, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Makes sense! Thanks so much, I’ll look for a little container. Merry Christmas!!

• Jessica — December 24th, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

I used two sticks and one tablespoon of butter – turned out perfect!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — December 21, 2013 @ 10:15 am

God, I love brown butter. Nothing is better. These cookies are beautiful!! Love that first photo especially :)

• Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — December 21st, 2013 @ 10:17 am

Did you use the shortening in the original recipe or just do 2 sticks of brown butter?

• Jessica — December 21st, 2013 @ 11:55 am

yes! still used the shortening, just browned the amount of butter it called for.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — December 21, 2013 @ 10:40 am

Omg I can only imagine how flavorful they are! Sugar cookies can be a little lackluster and blah and boring sometimes but not THESE!

Pinning from there!

Amanda — December 21, 2013 @ 11:45 am

I am obsessed with brown butter lately… so this looks like the perfect recipe to try next!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 21, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

Want, want, want!! These scream christmas tradition…with browned butter!

ATasteOfMadness — December 21, 2013 @ 3:53 pm

I have only made two things with brown butter ever. I know, that has GOT to change. These cookies look perfect!

Stephanie @ Velez Delights — December 21, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas! I somehow always have a hard time with sugar cookie recipes, either I over or undercook them =/ but I’ll definitely give these a try (brown butter fan all the way)!

Brittany — December 22, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I just tried browned butter for the first time a few weeks ago when making Snickerdoodles. Game changer! :)

Gabrielle Crystal RoseBonniee~ — December 22, 2013 @ 3:17 pm
    Emily @ Life on Food — December 23, 2013 @ 6:51 am

You keep adding to my list and the days are getting shorter! I love/hate it at the same time. These look fabulous. Of course I need to try them now.

Katie @ Veggie and the Beast — December 23, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Oh my gosh! I want to dive into those puffy little cookies. I love the little brown butter specks. Seriously wow.

Lari — December 23, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I browned my butter last night and will be making these tonight.. did you use the full 2 cups sugar as called for? In reading the comments on the BHG site most said they would cut back on sugar and some did.

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

yep i did! made the recipe as called for other than browning the butter. we didn’t find them overly sweet, but if you want to cut back a little, i don’t think it will be an issue.

Jamie — December 25, 2013 @ 2:37 pm

Made em… Ate em… Amen. <3

PhotoGirl — March 16, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

I love brown butter!

I made these cookies, following the recipe to the letter. We thought that they were WAY too sweet (and we are a family that loves sweet desserts) so I made the following changes: I cut the amount of sugar back to 1 1/2 cups instead of two. I used one cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar and 1/2 c. of granulated white sugar.
    Prior to baking, I lightly sprinkled the tops of the cookies with pink salt.

The result: delicious, caramelly, brown butter goodness. I am in love.

1. Pingback: WEEKEND LINKS. - PINK LOVES PURPLE

2. Pingback: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: Minnie-rella out on Disney DVD February 11th - Fabulous Mom Blog