Errrrmagosh. This pizza.

White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon I

I don’t know how to fully express my love.

Also, do you even know how long it’s been since I shared a recipe with bacon? Um. Too long. That’s how long.

It actually got so bad over here in bacon land that when I pulled some from my fridge a week or so ago, it was, like… rotting. Not rotting, but it was done. Gone. Had kicked the bucket. That rarely happens to me.

I think it just got lost in my fridge. The state of affairs in my fridge is another sad story. We recently had to get a new fridge and two weeks in I’m already destroying it. I need a game plan. One that probably involves clorox.

White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon I

The only action that bacon has been getting in my house lately has been at breakfast. Well, also at dinner because I keep making eggs for dinner. But my pizzas and salads had been sorely lacking. It’s all changed now though. Back to normal up in here.

It’s no secret that I’m a major fan of white pizza given my lack of tomato sauce love. Yes, sometimes I want REAL pizza, plain regular old pizza. But most times I want nutso pizza, good white pizza, pizza with tons of cheese and zero red sauce. I’ve been eating white pizza since I was a kid because my parents have always loved it – it has even inspired me to make white pizza dip and white pizza lasagna. So pinspired? Ew, is that a thing?

Oh so good. No, really. Those recipes could leave me to die happy.

But do you know how bad my vegetable loathing was? Back in the day, I wouldn’t even eat the tomatoes on a white pizza. I’d peel them off and throw them on my mom’s plate, then proceed to consume my dinner of bread covered in garlic and cheese. Normal. Totally normal.

White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon I

Not gonna lie here: I decided to make this pizza after a loooong post-Christmas shopping day a few weekends ago, when we just happened to find ourselves at CPK and the girl sitting next to me ordered this. I didn’t order it, which I instantly seemed to regret. The combo sounded intensely delicious to me and therefore appeared in my kitchen.

Because my tastebuds rule my world.

White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon I

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup freshly grated provolone cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated parmagiano-reggiano cheese

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, honey and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in 2 1/2 cups flour and salt, stirring with a spoon until the dough comes together but is still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work in the additional 1/2 cup flour, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1-1 1/2 hours.

After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape (sometimes I use baking sheets and do rectangles or free form pizzas - this specific dough will yield one pizza large enough to feed about 3-4 people) and place on a baking sheet or pizza peel. Place the towel back over the dough and let sit in the warm place for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. (Sometimes I use a pizza stone and heat my oven to 450 degrees and bake for 15 minutes. If you're just using a baking sheet, follow the directions below for baking and set to 375 degrees.)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Cook just until the fat has rendered - you don't want the bacon too crispy because it will cook more in the oven. Remove the bacon from the skillet and reduce the heat to low. Add the spinach and the garlic, stirring well. Cook until the spinach is wilted.

Brush the pizza dough with the olive oil. Cover it with scoops of the ricotta cheese, then evenly spread the remaining cheeses over top. Add on the spinach and the bacon. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until cheese and crust is golden and bubbly.

White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon I

Can you take the cheese?!

80 Responses to “White Pizza with Spinach and Bacon.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — January 23, 2014 @ 7:53 am

It’s so pretty! And reminds me that it’s been far too long since I’ve made homemade pizza!

I love the golden brown cheese and that you put spinach on it! pinned

Aishah @ Coffee, Love, Health — January 23, 2014 @ 8:45 am

I have always loved white pizza and preferred it over traditional pizza with tomato sauce. I prefer white sauce in pasta. If I crave tomato sauces, it’s usually a pink sauce- white sauce and tomato sauce mixed lol this made me crave white pizza!

Katelyn — January 23, 2014 @ 8:47 am

This pizza needs to happen in my life!

Brie @ Entrée the Giant — January 23, 2014 @ 8:51 am

You’ve got a knack for making pretty pizza. I’ve been wanting white pizza lately, but struggled with the perfect combo. Glad that problem’s solved :)

Kim — January 23, 2014 @ 9:03 am

Look at the crunchy bacon! I’ve never had bacon on white pizza but it’s sounds very good.

Tieghan Gerard — January 23, 2014 @ 9:14 am

I need to make pizza! It has been so long and all that cheese is calling my name!

Beth — January 23, 2014 @ 9:14 am

I want to move into your house and eat everything you make. I do dishes?

Kelly Jo — January 23, 2014 @ 9:30 am

I had a plan to make your harvest pizza this weekend because I have been craving squash, so weird. But now this bacon combo is tempting me, and I have ricotta in the fridge that needs to be used. Guess I’ll make both?

Nicole — January 23, 2014 @ 9:31 am

Friday night is typically pizza night in my house, but I don’t think I can wait until tomorrow to try this! Looks amazing! :)

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — January 23, 2014 @ 10:06 am

White pizza and spinach are made for each other. Pizza, bacon and cheese is hard to get wrong but seem to make it just that little bit more amazing.

Kim in MD — January 23, 2014 @ 10:09 am

Wow…is it bad that I want this for breakfast? This looks amazing!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — January 23, 2014 @ 10:15 am

I’m mourning the loss of the bacon in your fridge! Mostly b/c the same thing just happened to me. I said a few words before tossing it. Thanks for the fresh recipe for the fresh new package that’s waiting to be put to good use!

Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen — January 23, 2014 @ 10:54 am

If I had to pick one thing to eat for the rest of my life, it would be pizza. Just looking at these pictures makes me want it instantly and it’s only 9am. It’s just the perfect combination of everything.

Alicia Greenrabbit — January 23, 2014 @ 11:19 am

I had bacon and caramelized onions ( no tomato sauce) on pizza, now there is no stopping me!
    What kind of dough do you make? Aside from buying it ,i’d like a good recipe and so far everyone’s are too sweet or bready. Chewy thin crust is what I want.

• Jessica — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:17 pm

my dough recipe is above – i love it but it is on the breadier side!

Amy — January 23, 2014 @ 11:47 am

I really think we were separated at birth, or something. I HATE pizza sauce, would also pick off the tomatoes, and as my friend says, I “eat bacon like it’s going out of style.” This pizza looks fab and I can’t wait to try it!

• Jessica — January 27th, 2014 @ 9:18 pm

Leigh — January 23, 2014 @ 11:49 am

Girl, you just love bacon on your pizza! Your BLT pizza is one of our all-time faves, we make it at least once a month. SOOOOOO trying this one out! Thank you!

Kylie — January 23, 2014 @ 12:35 pm

mmmmmm. I love a good white pizza especially if it involves bacon and spinach!

Molly (Yes to Yolks) — January 23, 2014 @ 12:57 pm

This looks fabulous! I’m an equal opportunity pizza lover. I love it all. White pizza, though, has a special place in my heart because of all the cheese. I freakin’ love white pizza with blobs of ricotta! YUM. Oh, and bacon. That definitely doesn’t hurt things!

Alyssa — January 23, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

OMG Ricotta cheese on pizza may just be my favorite thing ever. I love regular pizza, but when you add ricotta?!?! It’s like on a whole ‘nother level. YUM.

Gina — January 23, 2014 @ 1:26 pm

My hubby and I have been on a pizza making kick lately and your dough recipe is phenomenal! Can’t wait to try this out.

Larry — January 23, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

FUCK. ♥

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — January 23, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

Yum! When I was in college we would go to a local pizza place probably once a week and I ALWAYS got a slice with ricotta and bacon…and if I didn’t I usually regretted it! I don’t think that I’ve had that combo since..I think this would definitely hit the spot!

Jesse — January 23, 2014 @ 3:34 pm

i need to make this as a date-night-kid-is-in-bed-time-for-adult-food-night!

Happy Valley Chow — January 23, 2014 @ 3:39 pm

Danngggg that pizza looks off the chain delicious! I love a good white pizza as well, it’s a nice change :)

Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

cheyenne — January 23, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

this sounds sooo good. i tried making home-made pizza a while back, but failed miserably with the dough. i’m keeping this recipe in mind for my next try!
    xo, cheyenne

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — January 23, 2014 @ 3:55 pm

I am waaaaay too hungry to be reading this post right now. This just looks incredible. My daughter is totally a tomato sauce hater and it drives me NUTS. She wouldn’t touch pizza, like, ever. Then the other night I made her pizza without any sauce and she gobbled it up and said I was the best pizza maker ever. Duh. Why didn’t I think to do that before?!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — January 23, 2014 @ 4:29 pm

Delish. Can’t wait for the weekend to come so I can make one!

Genn — January 23, 2014 @ 4:36 pm

That looks fabulous!!!!! Also perfect for a cold night!

Kelly — January 23, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

Ummm…you’re making me drool!
    The White Pizza is the only pizza I order when I go to CPK! Ahhhh and making it at home would just be icing on the cake! I am dying of hunger over here now!

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 23, 2014 @ 4:40 pm

There’s nothing better than homemade pizza, this looks killer!

Annie — January 23, 2014 @ 5:26 pm

Looks awesome! Definitely on the menu for next week!

Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living — January 23, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

This looks amazing! Thanks to this recipe, I’m officially putting a stop to frozen pizza.

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — January 23, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Lovin this recipe. Going to buy ricotta after work for a lasagna I’m making tomorrow, but it looks damn good on this pizza!

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts — January 23, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

I need this in my life. White pizza happens to be my favorite thing of all time!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — January 23, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

I just can’t get enough of pizza in my life. This version looks lovely indeed. Friday night is pizza night in our house. I love me some spinach pizza. Beautiful photos!

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate — January 23, 2014 @ 7:20 pm

White pizza is the only way to go in my books!

Mariah and Coty@quirksandtwists — January 23, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

Bacon gone bad is quite sad. But this pizza looks too good to be true. Love this combo!

ATasteOfMadness — January 23, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

I could eat this pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This looks great!!

Jamie | Jamie's Recipes — January 23, 2014 @ 8:45 pm

Such a beautiful pizza. I love spinach on pizza it totally balances out the bacon, right?!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — January 23, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

There’s nothing worse than craving bacon, then looking into your fridge and not finding any bacon…Love white pizza! Especially with bacon…

Pretend Chef — January 23, 2014 @ 9:38 pm

Bacon goes bad in our household quite often now. I never thought it was possible that a day would come and I’d turn down bacon. However, this pizza looks amazing and the flavor combo sound delicious.

Shea @ Dixie Chik Cooks — January 23, 2014 @ 10:04 pm

This looks like pure white pizza heaven.

tracy — January 23, 2014 @ 11:54 pm

I love how there’s a period after bacon in the title.

Like…. END OF STORY. Hands down the best.

Lisa — January 24, 2014 @ 12:40 am

Homemade pizza is one of my favorite things to make as an after school snack. My boys love bacon so I bet this would be a hit. I would also like to try making the dough from scratch:)

Alice // Hip Foodie Mom — January 24, 2014 @ 12:44 am

oh my gawd, this looks so good!!! must make this asap!

Sophie — January 24, 2014 @ 7:23 am

Looks like pizza perfection, I’m so hungry now!

Emily @ Life on Food — January 24, 2014 @ 7:32 am

I love white pizza. The best part about it is that my husband doesn’t. That means more for me. Even with the bacon I would be guaranteed this all to myself. Oh what a thought!

48 (alex) — January 24, 2014 @ 7:48 am

Oh yum!! Making homemade pizza this evening!

alex @

Marie @ Little Kitchie — January 24, 2014 @ 7:55 am

Making this tonight!!!

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — January 24, 2014 @ 12:39 pm

Seriously yummmmmmy! I need to make this NOW! Scrumptious pics too!

1. Pingback: Fun (Fortnightly) Finds #3 | The Life & Loves of a Ninegrandstudent

2. Pingback: So Much for Meatless Mondays | Charlotte Winchester