april food + fun favorites I howsweeteats.com

I have tons of Trader Joe’s faves on the list, but let’s start with the most important: the new frozen green figs! I am so psyched for these. I have no idea what I will do with them (besides shove them all in my face) or if they are seasonal, but I freaked. Love.

Uh. This is an odd one, but I’m loving the Method summer collection of foaming soaps at Target. I stocked up on vanilla creme and brambleberry gelato (omg)… and I think there is some orange ginger soap too? There is also body wash but I’m not too into that. The foaming hand soap is where it’s at.

If you follow me on instagram then you know I’ve been losing it over this candle. Totally adore it. It smells amazing.

Even though I whined last week about my lack of reading, I read Robin Roberts’ book because I majorly love her. So inspiring.

Still deep in my country music phase and I just put Play It Again on repeat along with Clockwork and Meanwhile Back at Mama’s (I’m such a sucker!). But I’m also blasting Ariana Grande’s Problem and Paramore’s Aint it Fun along with Iggy Azalea’s Fancy because apparently I think I’m 21. I’m really just waiting with baited breath for my bestie Miranda Lambert’s new album to come out in June. Oh yeah and last month I was downloading Bette Midler songs SO WHO EVEN AM I.

Absolutely loving this cropped black jacket from BCBG. I bought it at the beginning of the month and it’s definitely pricey, but a staple piece. It has some leather detail but not enough to be too fall-like, and the jacket is actually a sort of mesh? It’s difficult to explain, but it’s perfect in this weather – where it’s not warm enough outside and definitely chilly at night.

Another random TJ’s favorite is their bag of gluten free chocolate chip cookies. No, neither of us are gluten free but they were on display while I was waiting to check out and the term “crispy” sold me. Oh my gosh. These are crispy crunchy. We’ve since gone through two bags. Enter weird emoji face here.

I’m still liking smoothies but, um… I’ve removed some of the greenery. Ha. Of course. The above had strawberries and coconut water, coconut milk and even frozen (fresh) coconut meat I found in the freezer section of whole foods. This week I’m making one with tons of blueberries, mango, coconut water, chia seeds and vanilla beans. So good!

A little torn on TV faves this month since I’m not watching a ton and Nashville had a big break… but oddly enough I might say dancing with the stars. I totally feel like my mom. But I’ve really been liking this season, even though I wish Brooke Burke was back and I think they have done so many stupid things to the show. Also, Eddie and I watch Shark Tank like there is no tomorrow. If there is a marathon on, we’re glued to the couch for hours.

Final oldie but goodie Trader Joe’s item: the strawberry yogurt o’s. This is my favorite cereal ever and I’ll buy it once in awhile even though we can devour it in a day. So.freaking.good.

Loving all things maxi dresses right now with the warmer weather coming, but especially ones from h&m and target. I want like every single one. Along with these my favorite nude wedges have come back – I have a Sam Edelman pair I always talked about last year that I pretty much wore into the ground (as I do every summer) so I’m looking for some new ones this year.

I’ve got to go with some homemade iced coffee, but I’m more so talking about iced coffee with this fresh mint syrup I made at the beginning of the month. OH MY GOSH. I love this stuff so much. It’s so… so… fresh. Cue eye roll.

Still really going nuts over the Nerdist podcasts. I seriously love them.

The return of cantaloupe bowls. I’ve been lucky in finding some ripe cantaloupes and I love scooping out the seeds, filling the center with vanilla yogurt, cereal, strawberries, honey and those trader joe’s toasted almonds and digging in. GAH.

Big ass vases of fresh flowers. Sounds so cliche but they are seriously improving my days. It’s a weekly thing now.

[none of this is sponsored, just like to talk about things that I discover and love. there may be a few amazon affiliate links above. love love.]

45 Responses to “April Favorites: Food + Fun.”

Yael — April 30, 2014 @ 7:07 am

Ha, I had a little freakout about the frozen figs this weekend too! But. . . can you do anything with them other than make fig sauce or jam (or ice cream or smoothies?. . . ok I guess there are a lot of things you can do but you probably can’t just defrost and eat them like regular raw figs right?)

Also. . .this is a question for a ‘beauty faves’ post, but do you ever use dry shampoo and, if so, do you have a favorite?

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:41 am

i’m also trying to figure that out with the figs – so far i’ve just eaten them!

and yes, totally love batiste dry shampoo! it’s my fave.

• Cate — May 1st, 2014 @ 11:18 am

I had the figs in my hands, but put them back and I now feel I have to add them to my list for when I go tonight! I’m still LOVING maxi dresses – one good thing about being 5’10″!

jenny pittsburgh — April 30, 2014 @ 7:21 am

“waiting with baited bread”…bahahahaaaaa! You’re so funny, girl! And fresh flowers make every day better…even if I have to buy them for myself :).

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 30, 2014 @ 7:36 am

Lol as I read this, I’m eating my berries and kiwis out of a canteloupe bowl! (Would you like some fruit with your fruit??!) The Method soaps sound absolutely divine – I will be on the lookout for those this weekend. Oh, and the frozen figs – I SO wish we had a TJs because I really want some of these!

Sara — April 30, 2014 @ 7:42 am

If you’re looking for a new TV show to watch and you have an Amazon Prime account, you should totally check out Orphan Black. I’m OBSESSED.

• Sara — April 30th, 2014 @ 10:13 am

I totally agree with Sara. (Us Saras are smart like that) Check out Orphan Black! Such a great show! It grabs you and doesn’t let go.

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:41 am

you guys have convinced me. i’m gonna do it!

Jenny Flake — April 30, 2014 @ 8:27 am

Love this! So funny….I have never ever watched DWTS until this season mostly because I Looooove Candice Cameron and Winny Cooper from Wonder Years. It has been so entertaining that I might even start watching more seasons, lol! Gotta check out that candle next time I’m at Bath and Body. Love that place :) Happy Wednesday.

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:41 am

jenny! that’s one of the reasons i was so excited about this season too… haha.

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles — April 30, 2014 @ 8:32 am

I need to try the yogurt O’s next. Just last week I picked up a box of the Fruity O’s to satisfy a sudden need for Fruity Pebbles and we are hooked. Amazing. You need them.

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:42 am

i like those ones too!

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — April 30, 2014 @ 8:38 am

I have those figs sitting in my freezer too! If you come up with any genius ideas for them, do share. Right now I’m wondering how I can turn them into an acceptable dinner, but genius has yet to strike.

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change — April 30, 2014 @ 8:58 am

I need to get some more maxi in my life, whether it be dresses or skirts. Presentable yoga pants? Yes please! I’m dealing with a massive cookie craving, which is a little hard to satisfy during a paleo challenge…I might be able to find a way though! Lastly, Method soaps = the best of the best. I love when new collections come out!

Elizabeth — April 30, 2014 @ 9:41 am

Shark Tank!?! I am so happy that I’m not the only person under the age of 50 who loves that show. My boyfriend and I plan Friday nights around it! If we’re going out, we either leave to get home before it starts or go out after it’s over. (But usually not after it’s over because….that’s like 10 pm and that’s basically bedtime.)

Lauren — April 30, 2014 @ 10:00 am

Awesome maxi dress tip: Nordstrom’s Juniors Department. Still stylish, but waaaay less $$. I am bitter about how nice kids’ clothes are today. Thought I will never regret puff paint t-shirts and scrunchies.

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:42 am

i SO agree with this – i find lots of maxi dresses there!

Jessie — April 30, 2014 @ 10:02 am

Trader Joe’s is my happy place, half my cart is usually new things that catch my eye. I need to check out those gluten free cookies!!
    I LOVE the nerdist podcasts! I commute from LA to OC (3 hours of traffic per day…blerg) so when music gets old I turn to the nerdist. Some of my favorite episodes: Charlie Day, Tom Hiddleston, Nick Offerman, Steve Carrell, Rhys Darby, Tom Hanks, Anna Kendrick…I just want to be BFF with Chris Hardwick, he’s so precious.

Molly @ Doughvelopment — April 30, 2014 @ 10:13 am

That jacket is so classic! Love Robin Roberts too!
    Kind of dying over those smoothies! Cannot wait for all of summer’s fresh fruit!
    Must get to a Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, I just want to eat all of your recommendations!!

Meredith @ Lakyn + Judah — April 30, 2014 @ 10:13 am

I want to live in Tokyo Petals candles. I bought the wallflowers too so my apartment air is scented all day, every day. Good Lord. So delicious. I want them to make a perfume too so everything in my life can smell this way.

Hilary — April 30, 2014 @ 10:22 am

I keep hearing about these figs at TJ’s I am totally making a trip over that way tomorrow :) Ahh so excited!

Ronya — April 30, 2014 @ 11:10 am

Disregard the old lady/frumpiness reputation of the brand, as a whole, and check these out. THEY ARE LIKE WALKING ON THE SOFTEST OF THE SOFTEST PILLOW.

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:43 am

these are really cute!

Harper — April 30, 2014 @ 11:17 am

How long does your homemade syrup usually last (factoring in not eating it all in a weekend)?

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:44 am

i’d say it will be good for about a week – if you keep the mint leaves in, you might want to take them out after a few days. but you can also cut the recipe in half to make a smaller amount!

Kristen — April 30, 2014 @ 11:39 am

I have been watching Dancing with the Stars this season due to Candace & Danica. But then I developed a crush on James Maslow and truly watch it for a glimpse at his abs. Those TJ’s GF cookies are really good! They sold me as well with the crispy. Iced coffee is just so good. I made a batch this past weekend. Yum!

• Kristen — April 30th, 2014 @ 11:40 am

I just downloaded Fancy this week. Obsessed! But I feel like I am too old to be downloading it in general. HA!

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — April 30, 2014 @ 11:57 am

I just ordered a maxi-dress from Target and was way too excited when it came in the mail yesterday! I think this will be my third spring/summer doing the maxi-dress thing—no idea how I got through before.

corbyn — April 30, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

You should try watching Once Upon a Time. the first two seasons are on Netflix. It is so silly and fun!

Kassa — April 30, 2014 @ 3:49 pm

What was the recipe for the strawberry smoothie you pictured? It’s so pretty! I know you said strawberries, coconut milk, coconut meat and water but what was the proportions of each? A recipe, even offhand one, would be great!

Thanks!

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:45 am

i don’t really measure but i’d say prob a cup of coconut milk, 1/2 cup coconut water, 1 cup+ frozen strawberries and a few pieces of coconut meat (it’s frozen and I break it apart) – I also will add a pinch of salt, sometimes maca powder, chia seeds, flaxseed and vanilla bean paste! a teaspoon+ of each!

Meg — April 30, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

Have you heard josh grobin on the nerdist podcast? That and tom hanks are the best!

• Jessica — May 1st, 2014 @ 7:45 am

i freaking love josh groban. i haven’t, but my mission is to find it today.

Katie — May 1, 2014 @ 8:04 am

Totally thought I saw you in my North Huntingdon Giant Eagle this weekend and was too excited. Wanted to say hello and share how much I love your blog and recipes but didn’t want to be “that fan girl” – or even worse, completely freak out a stranger!

Becky — May 1, 2014 @ 8:51 am

If you like Nerdist you totally need to check out:
    -You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes
    -Professor Blastoff
    -Radiolab
    xo

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — May 1, 2014 @ 9:11 am

MMmmmmmm cantaloupe bowls! YUMMMMMM! I also LOVE Trader Joe’s- OBSESSED! y husband works there and we get a discount, YAY!

Brittany — May 1, 2014 @ 9:17 am

The vanilla creme Method soap — bought that puppy as soon as I saw it — I love the swirly pastels on the bottle.

Your smoothie looks perfect and sounds delish.

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — May 1, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

I looove Shark Tank. I can’t help but sit there glued to the TV, but I’ve never seen a marathon…where is it? NEED to find it lol!

Morgan — May 1, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

I look forward to every Wednesdays for these posts :) Today I realized I forgot yesterday and it immediately felt like Christmas.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — May 1, 2014 @ 7:14 pm

omg those TJ gf chocolate chip cookies are WAY too darn good. I even called my mom and made her buy them last year. We can’t keep them in the house.

Charmaine — May 1, 2014 @ 9:42 pm

Love this post! I’m also very into smoothies at the moment, keeping them green of course but it’s always great to mix it up. I’m a huge fan of coconut so I’ll definitely have to try the smoothie you’ve been loving!
    Love everything else on your list!

Please feel free to visit my blog as well:
    lulusandtiffanyblues.wordpress.com

xoxoxo

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — May 2, 2014 @ 2:20 am

I too love having fresh flowers in the house, they just make me happy every time I see them. Your smoothie sounds deeee-licious!

Emily @ Life on Food — May 4, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

TJ’s always puts the most random amazing things by the check out. I think by the time I leave half the things are from the check out end caps.

Mei — May 6, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

These might not be quite your style but I LOVE them and have been wearing them and buying them in all colors for years. The nude is new and I love it, even on my day-glow-pale-white legs. Super comfortable and I think pretty cute, I’m 5’4. http://www.aerosoles.com/eng/product/hedge_maple/hedge-map

PS can’t wait for your book!!

Cate — May 7, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I scored the Sam Edelman wedges that you had (the two tone nude/white) last year on lastcall.com! I wore them today and I tower over everyone and everything. Nothing like being 5’10” with nearly 6″ platforms!