I want to go where rivers of butter flow.

Savory Romano Crusted French Toast with Cherry Tomato Basil Butter I howsweeteats.com

Like right smack dab in the middle of this French toast!

I mean… the butter. Please look at it.

It’s just…

Things are old and things are new right now. Old thing? Eddie is deep in a Cruel Intentions marathon (I think it’s one of his favorite movies of all time) and all I can think of while it’s on is OMG PACEY.

New thing? I continue to be gravitating towards savory foods over sweets. I first talked about this probably six months ago or so but it’s still a thing: either I’m old and boring and more responsible these days or my taste buds are changing.

I’m going with the latter even though I’m definitely old and boring.

After discovering savory French toast on the kitchn, I was ridiculously hooked. I needed something other than just toast and cheese though… so enter a savory compound butter. I know I know. I’ve been all about them recently. And it’s not even prime fresh herb season yet so I predict that things will get even worse. Just a warning.

The batter for this French toast is chock full of freshly grated romano cheese and then fried in butter like the regular stuff. Covered with some extra softened cherry tomato basil butter – I used these delicious sun dried cherry tomatoes again along with fresh basil – that melts into the hot toast creating a little flavor river. It’s flowing!

I don’t even know what to do with myself. Can’t deal.

This is the final recipe from my spring brunch video with DeLallo and quote possibly my favorite. It’s just… different than what I’m used to. Obviously, I still love sweet versions of French toast but as long as you serve something else sweet at the table for usual sweet teethed freaks like me, you’re good to go. I need a little of both at every meal. I recently made some caramel pork and ummm we need to discuss. Soon.

As the year goes on, I’m going to be doing a bunch more of these videos with DeLallo and making all sorts of delicious recipes and stuff. In the meantime, please live on this fraaaanch toast with me so you can discover the beauty of it. Emotions never tasted so good.

Savory Romano Crusted French Toast with Cherry Tomato Basil Butter

Yield: serves about 4

Total Time: 35 minutes

4 large eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup finely grated romano cheese, plus more for topping
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 loaf italian bread, cut into 8 thick slices
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
a few basil leaves for garnish

cherry tomato basil butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sundried cherry tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half + half, cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk well until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium head and add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture and flip to coat. Add the french toast to the skillet and fry on both sides until golden. Repeat with the remaining bread and butter. Serve immediately with the tomato basil butter for topping, a sprinkling of romano and a few basil leaves.

cherry tomato basil butter
Mix all ingredients together until combined. You can serve softened or place in the fridge to firm up.

Don’t you want to cannonball into that?!

40 Responses to “Savory Romano Crusted French Toast with Cherry Tomato Basil Butter.”

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — April 18, 2014 @ 6:46 am

I have never had savory french toast, but I have heard of it’s existence and have been wanting to try it. I mean, you had me at cheese crusted…and then you added french toast and better/
    Cannonball mandatory. Pinned!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 18, 2014 @ 7:02 am

Cannonballing into that butter sounds pretty spectacular to me. Also, I still have yet to try savory French toast, but since savory is definitely my go-to breakfast choice, I feel like I need to fix this void in my life as soon as possible.

Can’t wait to see more videoooos!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — April 18, 2014 @ 8:08 am

I love cherry tomatoes and I think cherry tomato butter sounds like the best savory-flavored butter of all times! pinned

Meagan @ A Zesty Bite — April 18, 2014 @ 8:14 am

These are freakin amazing! Love when sweet food goes savory.

Jenn @ Basil & Rye — April 18, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Oh my gosh this looks so darn tasty! I definitely need to brunch more. And not just go out and meet people for brunch; host people. This will likely be on the menu soon!! Love!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keeps — April 18, 2014 @ 8:34 am

I’m all about savory breakfasts, although every once in a while I have to have french toast, BUT savory french toast? Unreal.

Los | The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 18, 2014 @ 8:56 am

Man, that butter. The French toast. Just all of it. I can totally appreciate savory breakfast/brunch items, even though I’m just like you and prefer the sweet stuff.

Great video too! Extremely well done.

Beth @ bethcakes — April 18, 2014 @ 9:09 am

Yes to all of this. Just…all of it. So looking forward to more of your DeLallo things. :)

Lisa @ Simple Pairings — April 18, 2014 @ 9:11 am

I can always count on inspiring ideas from you! Such an interesting take on French Toast – and so beautiful!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — April 18, 2014 @ 9:20 am

Savory waffles and French toast are taking over my life recently. Love this!

leslie @ definitely not martha — April 18, 2014 @ 10:01 am

I think I just gained 5 pounds reading the recipe….but I bet it tastes delicious!

Emily @ Zen & Spice — April 18, 2014 @ 10:08 am

Yum!! You always take such gorgeous pictures of your food. What type of camera do you use?

Belinda@themoonblushbaker — April 18, 2014 @ 11:08 am

Another brunch recipe I have to make! Brunch is now going to occur almost everyday; so I get a chance to try all these delicious recipes. Love the photos here too.

Helen @ the crispy crouton — April 18, 2014 @ 11:34 am

This looks absolutely delicious! You photographs are making my mouth water. Thanks for sharing.

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — April 18, 2014 @ 11:56 am

Love savory French toast. Thank you for reminding me it’s been way too long since I’ve made it. Also, I posted a link to your lobster polenta pizza today because I wanted to share the awesomeness ; )

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — April 18, 2014 @ 11:58 am

Whoops, posted it here: http://www.jessicacordingnutrition.com/Wordpress/2014/04/18/a-few-things-for-friday-4/

I am awesome at hitting “send”/”submit” too soon this week.

allie@sweetpotatobites — April 18, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

I want all of this. That is all.

joelle @ on a pink typewriter — April 18, 2014 @ 2:20 pm

I’ve never heard of savory french toast! Cool idea!

Molly @ Doughvelopment — April 18, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

If you find that river of butter call me ASAP, I want in!
    Savory fraaanch toast?! How have I not heard of this?! It’s such an incredible idea! Can’t wait for the rest of the videos!

Larry — April 18, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

Your brain is a wonderful cavern with tons of amazing hidden spots LIKE THIS. I wanna chomp on it right now. (That sounded wrong, but I’m going with it)

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — April 19, 2014 @ 12:58 am

Amazing! French toast is my favorite. And this sounds totally different yet mouth-watering delicious. I can’t wait to try this savory version!

masture — April 19, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

masture — April 19, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

Great video too! Extremely well done.

Ayu — April 19, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

I can just feel my mouth watering from reading this post. Yummmm!

Ambar — April 19, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

WOW. Like seriously? This looks and sounds amazing! i MUST try!

Nicole — April 19, 2014 @ 10:07 pm

How do you come up with this stuff?

Emily @ Life on Food — April 20, 2014 @ 8:18 am

Lovin’ this!! Lovin’, lovin’ lovin this so much!

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) — April 21, 2014 @ 12:34 am

Oh, that is super stunning. I haven’t had savory French toast since i was a kid and it was never this impressive. I can’t wait to make it and that butter!

Alicia — April 22, 2014 @ 7:19 am

Obsessed. Completely and utterly.
    …also, saying “fraaaanch toast” reminds me of Rock of Love Bus (hello Brett Michaels) – the episode where Farrah gets the boot #realitytvlover

Sydney — April 23, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

I’m totally going to try this. I have never, EVER liked French toast because everyone makes it sweet, with syrup and powdered sugar and all that. The idea of sweet French toast makes me gag. But savory French toast? Yes please.

bev @ bevcooks — April 24, 2014 @ 4:40 pm

I want to renew my wedding vows on that.

Thalia @butterandbrioche — July 1, 2014 @ 2:53 am

what a great flavour combination and recipe idea! i just created a dessert french toast recipe and will have to try out this savoury version. thanks for the inspiration.

Mattie — February 20, 2015 @ 10:59 am

Do you think you could just use regular sundried tomatoes if you can’t find the DeLallo cherry sundried tomatoes? Thanks!

• Jessica — February 20th, 2015 @ 12:41 pm

yes, definitely!

1. Pingback: Life Lately | April 19th | | Clara Persis

2. Pingback: Savory Romano-Crusted French Toast with Compote Butter | Munchies Just For Me

3. Pingback: How Not to Use Crayons | THE SUNNYSIDE

4. Pingback: 19 Foods That Prove There's No Better Combo Than Cheese And Tomatoes | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

5. Pingback: 19 Foods That Prove There’s No Better Combo Than Cheese And TomatoesZociall | Zociall

6. Pingback: Savoury French Toast | abigailsteaparties