tuesday things I howsweeteats.com

1. Fresh flowers are like my gateway drug to spring right now.

2. This no churn mint chocolate ice cream needs to appear in my kitchen like five minutes ago.

3. Uh, can we talk about my old obsession with MTV’s spring break? Please tell me you remember it in all it’s glory, specifically early mornings where it would simply be video of a bunch of bikini clad people dancing and grinding around a tropical pool area. My brothers and I LOVED when it was spring break time and I remember waiting what felt like weeks for it. Why??? The only thing more embarrassing than all of that is the fact that I kind of miss it.

4. It probably means that you’re a real loser when you walk through Target and wish that the kids summer clothing came in your size.

5. Over the weekend I ordered room service (I know) which happened to be a salad (I know, this just keeps getting worse) and I asked for no chicken because I just wasn’t feeling it and oh – it came without the chicken, but it came complete with a lovely large FLY in my greens that seriously almost ended up in my mouth had I not taken extra care to look at the certain bite of salad I was about to consume. Still scarred.

6. My reading has been sorely lacking lately, meaning that I’ve read a few books but haven’t had the time to really sit down and blow through stories like I usually prefer to do. However, Rob Lowe’s newest memoir comes out today and I sort of have a life crush on him and I wrote about his first book on here like two or three years ago and I’ve kinda sorta maybe been waiting for.ev.ER for this book to come out and I’m not sure what that makes me? Besides unproductive, because I’m going to read the entire thing today.

7. A few people alerted me to the wonderfulness of the a beautiful mess app on my iPhone over the weekend, and I’m wondering why it took so long for me to find this perfection. The level of trashiness on my iPhone photos just increased ten fold.

8. Most of my favorite TV shows are over or on a mini hiatus, but of course I watched the ACM awards while wishing that I was living it. Miranda Lambert, why aren’t we friends? And no, I do not watch Game of Thrones. I’ve tried of course… I just can’t get into it. I know. Flame me. Just don’t be surprised at my wretched taste.

9. Please tell me you’ve seen the slam poetry reading Samuel L Jackson did of Boy Meets World. Why can’t I get out of the 90s? I’m dying.

10. Speaking of TV stuff, you know how I loved to watch the Talking Dead after the Walking Dead? Mostly because I really like Chris Hardwick? I finally discovered his Nerdist podcast and let’s just say it’s been my background noise of choice for the last week. So many fun people are on it. Like Tom Hanks!

11. I’m really into run-on sentences today. Apologies.

43 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Alysa (InspiredRD) — April 8, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

I am shocked. SHOCKED. that you didn’t have A Beautiful Mess app yet. It is so you.

Maddie — April 8, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

Have you seen Chris Hardwick’s show @ Midnight? If you really like him, you’ll like the show! It can be super funny.

Also I want that ice cream. Now, please.

Angela — April 8, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

I feel the same way about kids clothes at Target! A few seasons ago I was dying for a new trench and they had EXACTLY what I wanted in the little girls section :/

Rhea — April 8, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

I am CONSTANTLY wishing that they made children’s clothes in my size. Read: neon pink bikinis with tutu bottoms!

Sarah — April 8, 2014 @ 1:15 pm

Check out SIlicone Valley on HBO, it just aired the first episode but so far it’s funny in a nerdy kind of way :)

• Jessica — April 8th, 2014 @ 1:20 pm

i DVRed it! just haven’t watched it yet. :)

Becky — April 8, 2014 @ 1:22 pm

i once bought a yellow peacoat from the little girl sections at Target. I’m a grown woman.

• Jessica — April 8th, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

you’re my hero

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — April 8, 2014 @ 1:40 pm

Still disturbed by that fly. Never getting room service ever again.

Laura — April 8, 2014 @ 1:41 pm

In strong agreement on #1. Can’t get enough!

Liz — April 8, 2014 @ 1:54 pm

First of all, I am a real loser as well because every time I am in Target I see something in the children’s clothes section I want to have in my size. Second, some months ago I went to go pick the tomato off my burger and I found a big fat fly on it. It is so traumatizing. And then I took the very scary path of thinking about how many times I may have missed other flies/bugs in my food…Hold me.

Nicole — April 8, 2014 @ 2:18 pm

I definitely wear kid’s clothes from Target. Circo is my jam. Leggings with little rainbow foil hearts on them? How could I not?

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — April 8, 2014 @ 2:48 pm

You need to have a baby so you can buy the kids’ clothes at Target and feel satisfied that someone is wearing it! My daughter is just old enough to shop in the “big kids” section now and it’s the best. That fly = ugh. And the Big Black Hair in my sandwich = 2 x ugh. I ordered a burrito bowl a few months ago and I swear there was dirty kitchen twine in it. How can we ever eat out again?

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — April 8, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

Oh Rob Lowe!!! I love him. I swear to God the man does not age!

Robin M. — April 8, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

ha – i do the kids clothes Target wishing all the time!

Mandy — April 8, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

No lie – the past two summers I’ve bought flipflops from the kids section at Target. They’re just so cute! And so cheap!

Rachel — April 8, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

I feel about Crew Cuts the way you feel about Target childrens clothing.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — April 8, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

UGH. #5.

That happened last year to me too, except with waffle fries at my favorite bar. At least only salad is ruined for you…not waffle fries :(

Nicocobell — April 8, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

I just started watching Girls on HBO-Go because you always talk about it. Loving it so far. I’m definitely looking up the Nerdist podcast, love Chris Hardwick and the Talking Dead.

Valarie — April 8, 2014 @ 4:39 pm

Have you tried watching Ressurection yet? Oh. My. Gosh. It’s ADDICTIVE!!! I can’t wait for Sunday nights now!!!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — April 8, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Ok so this weekend my husband pointed out that we’re suddenly getting a free HBO preview! So I jumped into onDemand and started Game of Thrones…15 minutes later, I turned on Girls instead. I couldn’t do it. I was so nauseated. When did I get so old?!

Sabrina — April 8, 2014 @ 4:47 pm

I bought these sneakers for Ali and legit called the company to see if they were planning on ever making the adult match. http://www.seekairun.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CAITLINS14BLUE

So I understand the Target kids’ clothing lust!

Kristen — April 8, 2014 @ 5:36 pm

When I was in HS MTV’s Spring Break was in San Diego. A couple of my friends and I ditched school one day and went. At the time Jon Stewart had a talk show on MTV which he hosted during SB. I had the biggest crush on him at the time and was so star struck to watch him film it live. It was such a fun and memorable day!

• Jessica — April 8th, 2014 @ 8:59 pm

pure gold.

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat — April 8, 2014 @ 5:42 pm

I bought a white eyelet dress in the Target kid’s department last week for myself and I’m not sorry.

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — April 8, 2014 @ 8:54 pm

I still buy kids clothes at Target, they just happen to be in XL! I

In a way, be glad it was a bug in your salad and not this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/woman-finds-lizard-head-salad-bought-chelsea-store-article-1.1718560. I just heard about it yesterday. Dreadful, right? Horrid.

Boy Meets World episodes are rerunning on ABC Family in the afternoons from 2-4pm right now and I’ve been tuning in and/or DVRing daily. LOVE.

• Jessica — April 8th, 2014 @ 8:59 pm

omg i saw that on GMA or something… cannot even.

Sarah K — April 9, 2014 @ 12:36 am

MTV Spring Break was the highlight of my early teen years. My parents were pretty strict about what I watched when I was that age, but I would always find a way to watch the SB special. I don’t know why I thought it was so appealing, I’m pretty sure I just wanted to gain cool points with my friends by watching something so “scandalous.”

kvm — April 9, 2014 @ 2:47 am

that slam poetry is the best thing on the internet. thank you!!

Los | The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 9, 2014 @ 6:31 am

First – MTV Spring Break was the best. But… why? Why was it the best?? I don’t think anyone can answer that.

Second – I did see the Sam Jackson poetry reading of Boy Meets World. It was so freaking great. Best part? when he said he had never seen an episode of Boy Meets World in his life.

Last – I listen to Nerdist from time to time and really enjoy it. I absolutely LOVE the episode with Tom Hanks. Such a great interview, Another great one is the Alton Brown episode. In addition, the Alton Brown Cast which is on the Nerdist network is pretty great. Check it out.

I didn’t know you listened to podcasts! Your coolness never ends.

Los | The Man, The Chef, The Dad — April 9, 2014 @ 6:33 am

Oh! And talk about 90’s.. I cannot listen to Chris Hardwick without remember almost every episode of Singled Out. They’ll never make tv like that anymore.

Julie — April 9, 2014 @ 8:27 am

#4, every.damn.time. I don’t care if I’m a loser or not, I have been this way since graduate school when I worked at Old Navy part time. I always wanted the kids clothes to fit me secretly, so cute. Target takes it to a new level.

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — April 9, 2014 @ 9:14 am

What a great list (as always)…and I completely agree that flowers are like a gateway drug to spring lol!

Jessica S — April 9, 2014 @ 9:15 am

Love The Nerdist!! So good!

Mia Dumont — April 9, 2014 @ 9:16 am

Oh My! This ice cream! Thank you for sharing. It’s so easy to do and we can do it many other ways, like adding caramel or fruits. Dipping in colored white chocolate.

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — April 9, 2014 @ 11:23 am

Loving this! It’s like we are hanging out together and we get to really know you.

Kimberly K Bedrosian — April 9, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

Omg, i just spent the last 20 minutes playing with that beautiful mess app! I’m right there with ya in that my photos just got 10X trashier! obsessed! THANKS!!!

Heather — April 9, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

I have a serious full on crush for Rob Lowe too, Parks & Rec, The West Wing (oh my! my favorite Rob Lowe role), St. Elmo’s Fire, the Outsiders, oh and can’t forget Wayne’s World!

Vanessa — April 9, 2014 @ 10:38 pm

I used to be OBSESSED with MTV Spring Break, I would watch it all day! Even though I am pretty sure it just repeated the same thing ever other 3 hours. So ridiculous….

Kelsey @ Ramblings of Change — April 10, 2014 @ 10:09 am

Target has a mint green tee in the girls’ section I want SOBADLY. I feel your pain.

Elizabeth — April 10, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

PLEASE tell me you got something free and or covered in chocolate for that FLY IN YOUR SALAD!!

Molly @ Doughvelopment — April 10, 2014 @ 7:46 pm

I’m pretty short so I can fortunately fit into the Target kid’s pants! I bought neon pink jeans with white polka dots and I LOVE THEM! Can’t wait to wear them when it gets warm warm up in these parts!
    That mint ice cream sounds delish!!

1. Pingback: Real Life Wednesday: Things I Did All Week. | How Sweet It Is