This biggest quest of the summer starts now.

caramelized peach caprese with smoked sea salt I

Which is… to find a good peach. Just ONE good peach. I’m lucky to get one or two good peaches every summer, which probably means I should move somewhere that has better peaches. And I tell you the same thing every year.

Or I can just cover them in a little sugar and butter and caramelize the heck out of them. I vote that option.

caramelized peach caprese with smoked sea salt I

It’s caprese season, meaning that I can survive on tomatoes and mozzarella as long as I have a heavy handed dose of balsamic glaze or vinegar. And I know that last Monday I talked about making my favoritest summer salad ever but now it’s a new Monday and this is another favorite salad and they happen to be totally different so that’s allowed. Jess law.

I’m completely DYING over this. I thought about keeping the tomatoes in but they aren’t super perfect here yet and I didn’t feel like buying a few orange rocks from the grocery store. So glad. With the peaches and cheese and basil and vinegar and… and… and… UGH. So simple but so good.

Kind of ridiculous to tell you about this again, but I know you like some simple dinners too. This is something I can fully get behind as only dinner. Maybe with a little grilled bread. Sold.

caramelized peach caprese with smoked sea salt I

The smoked sea salt also takes it over the top. Oh and I am imagining this as a stacked salad, with slices of peaches but also some local goat cheese and maybe a good drizzle of honey with some extra herbs? It’s too similar to post so I had to tell you about it. You should probably make it and send me a picture. (or an entire salad.)

Or I might just make it for dinner tonight. Again. Every week until summer ends. #predictable

caramelized peach caprese with smoked sea salt I

Caramelized Peach Caprese with Smoked Sea Salt

Yield: serves 2 appropriately, 1 obnoxiously

Total Time: 15 minutes

2 to 3 peaches, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (8-ounce) ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
10-15 fresh basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle the peaches with the brown sugar, then add the butter to the skillet. Once melted and sizzling, add the peaches and cook until golden and caramelized, about 3 minutes per side.

To assemble the salad, alternate a peach slice with a slice of fresh mozzarella and a few basil leaves, making a low row or a circle. Sprinkle the salad with the smoked sea salt then drizzle generously with the olive oil and balsamic. Devour.

caramelized peach caprese with smoked sea salt I

Got no words.

93 Responses to “Caramelized Peach Caprese with Smoked Sea Salt.”

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — July 1, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

Holy MOLY! I cannot wait until Napa’s farmers’ market on Saturday to nab some peaches and try this!

Lisa — July 1, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

sooooo this was the lunch special at my office today. coincidence, or do you have a very big fan at an insurance company in boston?

Caroline {TheBarbeeHousewife} — July 1, 2014 @ 10:29 pm

This salad looks amazing. We have great peaches in North Carolina, but I still want to caramelize one just for this salad!

Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onions — July 2, 2014 @ 7:34 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of caprese, until now, thanks for the peach option!

Joanna @ the knitlit twit — July 2, 2014 @ 8:13 am

Oh my, this looks good. And you should come visit the Texas Hill Country, Fredericksburg is known for their peaches this time of year. I need to take a drive out there and pick up a box or twelve…

Laura Dembowski — July 2, 2014 @ 8:26 am

Peaches are my soul mate. I eat at least one a day in summer. Surprisingly Costco tends to have AMAZINGLY peaches. But if you really want the quintessential peach experience, in August or September order some from Gold Bud farms. You won’t regret it.

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake — July 2, 2014 @ 9:29 am

What a beautiful take on a classic salad recipe.

Mary Frances — July 2, 2014 @ 5:27 pm

This is a gorgeous take on caprese, what a great dish!

Jennifer — July 3, 2014 @ 6:51 am

I live in California, home to fruit trees – and getting any sort of good ‘stone fruit’ is getting more and more difficult. :(

angela@spinachtiger — July 3, 2014 @ 7:52 am

Love this. I’m going to do this for July 4th and I’m going to grill the peaches first.
    ANother way I love peaches is WITH tomatoes. Great salad. Pinning this. It’s so wonderful looking.

diana alexander — July 6, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

Made this for guests tonight. It was Killer!!! Love your blog, and thanks so much for this awesome recipe.

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes — July 8, 2014 @ 9:47 am

Holy cow, this looks AMAZING!! We are still trying to decide on a grill, but as soon as we do I am definitely making this!

Emily @ Life on Food — July 9, 2014 @ 8:11 pm

I needed this yesterday. oh my salad. yum, yum!

Janelle — July 17, 2014 @ 11:04 am

My boyfriend loved this so much that he licked the plate! He’s asked for it practically every nite since then and I’m happy to make it because it’s easy, fresh, and freaking delicious. You are a fruit recipe genius!

Medha — July 25, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

What a delicious idea! Totally on board with you – loving this salad! Great presentation too. First time on your blog and getting hooked on it!

Juvee @ShikenanAfricanShop — July 26, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

This is just so gorgeous! I can’t wait to try it :)

Jeannie Meade — July 26, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

All I can say is Amazing!❤️

Car;a — August 10, 2014 @ 9:35 pm

Wow you’re a genius for making a peach caprese instead of traditional tomatoes! Now I want to run to the nearest fruit stand and buy a big basket of peaches.

Michal — August 13, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

Wow looks really good!
    Never tried eaches with cheese before, thanks for the recipe.

Mary — August 27, 2015 @ 9:32 pm

Just made this. You’ve got to be kidding…. No words here either.

1. Pingback: This and That | Week 98 | Two Peas & Their Pod

2. Pingback: What's dishing on the blogs: Fourth of July treats | Pittsburgh News

3. Pingback: Капрезе с карамелизирани праскови / Caramelized Peach Caprese | Good to the last drop

4. Pingback: Fascinating Friday Links #39 | Daily Moves and Grooves

14. Pingback: Things I Love: Summer Salads

15. Pingback: Bai / 10 Recipes to Celebrate National Peach Month - Bai

16. Pingback: Salt and Pepper Heirloom Tart with Whipped Feta | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Leaning out and feeling (mostly) strong

18. Pingback: In Season | Peaches | Total Rapture

19. Pingback: Fresh Mozzarella Is My Best Friend | Science and Snacks

20. Pingback: 5 Aromatic Dishes to Try for Your Dinner Party ║ Recipes You'll Want to Share - What the Doost!?

21. Pingback: Peach Season = My Favorite Season »