life right now is oh-so good. here are some things we’ve been doing the last few weeks!

life lately I howsweeteats.com

We went to arts fest last weekend and I HAD to get this lemonade or else I was going to die. It sounded so good – first lemonade of the season… check. Considering I am a child though I only made it halfway through before my teeth started to feel weird. Do you know what I’m saying? Please tell me you know what I’m saying.

life lately I howsweeteats.com

Right after that we had to go to meat + potatoes because Eddie was going to spontaneously combust if he didn’t eat righthisveryminute and because it’s his favorite.

life lately I howsweeteats.com

Short rib flatbread and fried pickles (that he stole from me and DEVOURED. see yesterday.) … and um, can you say soft shell crab BLT? Yes. It was ridiculous and as incredible as it sounds. It needs to be in my life always always always.

life lately I howsweeteats.com

And let me tell you about this dessert which is like the old school pretzel-jello-cool whip salad but a million times better with pretzels, cheesecake-like filling and real strawberries. Dead dead dead. I want to recreate it. But the regular stuff is pretty good too. And so fabulously 90s.

Guess what I still haven’t done? Planted any herbs. We did, however, plant lots of flowers a few weeks ago. And when I say “we,” I really just mean Eddie. Because he had was set on it being done that very morning and I had more important things to do like visit the Nordstrom anniversary sale. (Very disappointing, btw.) No, but really, he planted the prettiest flowers and it only took him a few minutes. I would have taken a week.

I’ve been making kombucha cocktails! For some reason, I could never get on board even though I love kombucha. I’ve used my favorite gingerade flavor and vodka and citrus and sometimes mint and sometimes simple syrup. I’m in looooooove. I really want to try some with the synergy strawberry serenity favorite which is the other flavor I tend to enjoy.

Miranda Lambert’s new album has been on BLAST… while I’m cooking, while I’m driving, even while I’m working out because some songs are so upbeat. Can’t get enough.

One day my mom and I went to whole foods and spent an hour just walking around and then went home and ate a huge baguette with this cheese. And some sour cherry jam. It was wonderful.

A few weeks ago we had some good old comfort food meaning I had some white trash nachos. Okay, probably not TOTALLY white trash because I don’t think they were microwaved (my preparation of choice) but they were close. And fabulous, of course. I like this picture because it’s the epitome of my fave kid snack.

life lately I howsweeteats.com

I’m trying to convince Eddie to go see Maleficent which I had no desire in seeing until everybody started talking about it. I’m quite easily influenced. I sort of want to see the Fault in our Stars too but I’m also not sure how I feel about bawling my eyes out for a day. And I’m not even a crier but after reading the book I’m just assuming. It might be a movie I go see by myself one day at like noon. It’s on my summer bucket list!

On Monday, my friend Ashley came and met me for breakfast/lunch at Marty’s and it was the best lunch ever. Read: the kind where you BS for so long that the server is at your table multiple times before you order and then you overstay your welcome and still need a water refill long after you’ve paid your bill because you can’t stop talking. You know, the best!

life lately I howsweeteats.com

life lately I howsweeteats.com

These fries were the saltiest, most perfect thing in the universe.

Finally, I jacked this little list from Bri and James‘ blogs to fill out myself. As in… things I’m looking forward to right now. Present and future! I totally think you should also fill it out in the comments. SO FUN.

Eating / perfect caprese with ripe, juicy tomatoes and burrata. Grilled sweet corn.
Drinking / this is embarrassing. strawberry beergaritas. like in a can. and – watermelon lemonade.
Practicing / yoga yoga yoga. one of the only thing that makes me feel sane.
Mastering / a semi-domestic, let’s-not-live-like-college-slobs cleaning schedule. don’t i always talk about this? i do. i feel guilty hiring someone else to clean when i don’t have children and could/should easily spend my free time doing so.
Learning / to go with my gut.
Trying / to live in the moment and not be a control freak.
Playing / with my BFF’s babies (face baby & his THREE sisters). um – two weeks ago we spent the day together, went and got ice cream where he promptly ordered a cone with rainbow sprinkles. is he my child?
Finishing / a container of pistachio gelato. aka, the best.
Reading / The Matchmaker! just started it last night. you know I wait allll year for Elin’s books and them promptly ruin it by finishing them in 24 hours.
Wearing / dresses and skirts every day of the week. it’s hot.
Cooking / everything on the grill. can’t stop won’t stop.
Working / as hard as i can forever and ever – only doing things i love. (or things i must as a responsible adult. hmpf.)
Traveling / to nantucket. i’m still dreaming over it and can’t stop. i google pics and look at the nantucket instagram hashtag.

38 Responses to “on life lately and a list.”

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — June 11, 2014 @ 7:11 am

FUN! I’ve never had fried pickles!! What is wrong with me?! I’m debating going somewhere like Nantucket or Matha’s Vineyard for my mini-honeymoon next year! I still remember your photos of the beach! Convince me to do it–k, thanks.

Melissa — June 11, 2014 @ 7:12 am

Your “Mastering” cracked me up! My husband and I clean our house weekly and earlier this year we realized that most of our friends do NOT clean on a regular schedule like that at all. We’d always tried to keep to that schedule, but once we got a rabbit, the fur necessitates it, and once we get out the broom and the vacuum cleaner, might as well clean other things too! :)

Meghan — June 11, 2014 @ 8:03 am

You MUST buy Jolie Kerr’s book, “My Boyfriend Barfed in My Handbag.” It’s hilarious and SO useful – teaches you how to clean *everything* (including yes, barf in a handbag) in a really approachable, non-intimidating way. I’m totally excited to clean my house now, which is ridiculous.

tasia — June 11, 2014 @ 8:44 am

Ahhhh the Miranda CD. So good! Are you going to Jason Aldean July 26th? She’ll be there and it’s going to be amazing.

Melanie — June 11, 2014 @ 9:35 am

I LOVE THIS.

I nuked some Doritos and cheese the other day and felt like I was 12 again.

• Rebecca — June 11th, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Doritos and cheese? WHY have I not done this???? OMG.

Kendra — June 11, 2014 @ 9:51 am

Miranda. Little Red Wagon. Loud. Yes.

samantha — June 11, 2014 @ 10:02 am

I can’t to go see The Fault In Our Stars. I cried when reading the book, but it also had it’s funny moments. I’m just hoping they live up the movie to be as good as the book and don’t ruin it like some other movies (aka Beautiful Creatures). Tomorrow I’m going to see an early release movie of The Jersey Boys for FREE and using one of my absences to skip class. I’m super excited for this. My mom won tickets a couple of weeks ago and it’s all I’ve been able to talk about and listen to!

Kelly Jo — June 11, 2014 @ 10:42 am

I love the 90′s jello pretzel salad! I really need to make that one of these days. And those pickles look like little puffs of heaven. I’m right there with ya on trying to live in the moment and not be such a control freak, it’s easier said than done but it’s worth a try!

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — June 11, 2014 @ 10:59 am

Love this list. I’m gonna try it out. Maybe I’ll surprise myself with what I say!

Kimberly — June 11, 2014 @ 11:14 am

I love this list! To comment on the mastering- I swear that was me for the past 3 years in our house. We just hired a house cleaner to come every other week and i am telling you, it is the best thing ever! i never thought we needed one because we don’t have kids and I *should* have plenty of time to take care of our small house. But I didn’t, and then the puppy appeared and that is a whole other entity to clean up after and having the floors clean and the dust disappear every two weeks is like magic and it helps SO MUCH. I feel way less guilty for doing the things I want to be doing when before I always had this voice saying ‘I should be swiffering the bathrooms, I should be scouring the shower”. It sounds dramatic but it is life changing!

• tara — June 11th, 2014 @ 12:51 pm

my boyfriend has been asking for a cleaning person for xmas for years ! he just wants me to agree to it once per month and give it to him as a gift since we feel like you do that we spend so much time on it and get no where and have guilt when we do other things. not to mention how do you divide it up so its “fair” Right now we are redoing some things so its to much of a mess to have someone come, but my biggest issue is how did you find someone you can trust to do it ? Do you have the person come when you are at home ? I have a friend in TX who does that. Her cleaning lady comes on saturday when she is home and she uses the time to also organize and do things like laundry. She says it helps with the guilt of having a cleaning person and the issue of not having to worry about having a person in your house when you are not there. I dont know….someday !

Tracy — June 11, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

I just made the old school jello pretzel salad this last weekend. So good!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 11, 2014 @ 1:14 pm

Kombucha cocktails are the best! Glad you’re a fan! I love kombucha and they make a perfect mixer :) Glad you and Ashley got to spend some time together, too! How fun!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — June 11, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

“Remembering / my (paternal) grandma. sometimes it hits me at random times and i tear up in embarrassing places.” <– love these real, raw moments

"Wanting / the most simple and precious things to be enough. it’s tough in this world today! also, in non-important things, for people to stop posting their blurry personal photos on facebook. even when they are sober. no. just no." <– YES to both of these things. I want so badly to be happy with the little things. And I want even more badly for those darn blurry pics to go away! Stop posting them on IG too. If you HAVE to put up a picture, take time to put up a good one! Sheesh, its not like you're going to die if someone doesn't see that stupid pic.

Stephanie — June 11, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

Softshell crab BLT sounds AMAZING. Seriously, I want that.

Beth — June 11, 2014 @ 3:06 pm

I know this sounds creepy because we have never “met”, but you NEED to go see Maleficent. It’s fab. You will love it.

Alex @ Kenzie Life — June 11, 2014 @ 3:30 pm

I know what you mean about the lemon thing–though it makes my whole mouth feel weird then it radiates down my throat. I find I don’t have the same reaction to raspberry or strawberry lemonades though (or um, hard lemonade).

Jamie — June 11, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

Um. We have a cleaner twice a month. No kids, but a German Shepherd. I mean, the HAIR! I can’t possibly keep up with that. You have a Golden, it’s probably the same thing right? IDK. We both work long hours and I rather spend my free time doing something else, like playing with my dog.
    it’s the best use of our money. I can’t even remember the last time I cleaned a toilet.

Rebecca — June 11, 2014 @ 4:57 pm

If you won’t feel guilty hiring someone to clean your house I won’t either, k? I know what you mean…we don’t have kids and only have a small dog that doesn’t shed, but the dust! Oh, the dust. I feel so defeated by the dust. I clean, then within a couple hours it’s back. :( Plus, I just don’t like it. There are so many more fun things to do.

Julie — June 11, 2014 @ 5:12 pm

What beautiful lights!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — June 11, 2014 @ 6:28 pm

This list is awesome! One of my friends was talking about A Fault in the Stars as well, and it is very very hard to get me to shed a tear in movies but it sounds like this one is pretty intense. And walking around Whole Foods for an hour? I personally think that’s a freaking awesome date idea and if any guy were to suggest it, he’d instantly have my heart. Regarding hiring someone to clean, don’t feel guilty. Life is far too short to spend big chunks of it doing things you don’t want to do. And after all, this gorgeous sundress-wearing, flip-flopping, grilling weather isn’t going to last forever. We’ve gotta make the most of it!

dervla — June 12, 2014 @ 12:06 am

ugh i hate seeing blurry photos on Facebook – kills me in this day and age of excellent iphone cameras. Why? Why must people take crappy photos?? Also, jealous of your lunch with Ashley.

Bri | Bites of Bri — June 12, 2014 @ 5:49 am

I love this post! Fried pickles are awesome when done properly and that fried softshell BLT, OMG! Some people can’t get over softshells to eat them, but I LOVE them!

Millie// addalittle — June 12, 2014 @ 7:11 am

Love the sound of the short rib flatbread oh my!!

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — June 12, 2014 @ 9:55 am

I feel like I have sooooo much in common with you and I LOVE you share your struggles and goals with all of us XOXO!!

Christin — June 12, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

I have been following you for a while now and had no idea that you live in Pittsburgh. . . I live in Pittsburgh too!!!!

Sue — June 12, 2014 @ 1:44 pm

Eating / corn on the cob, s’mores, garden-grown veggies!
    Drinking / mojitos
    Practicing / appreciation & mad broomball skillz
    Mastering / worklife balance
    Learning / how to be supportive to my boyfriend when he’s super stressed and being a bit unpleasant & self-centered (which is the opposite of his usual self)
    Trying / to be engaged
    Playing / CanJam!!
    Finishing / the house search/buying process (which starts up a whole other deal)
    Reading / the SOLD sign on the house we’re buying
    Remembering / that things work out the way they are supposed to
    Wearing / cut-off denim shorts, Birkenstocks, Tevas
    Cooking / a homemade pizza made on the grill
    Working / on focus so I can crank thru things faster
    Traveling / to China!
    Wanting / everyone to get over their iPhone addictions and start paying attention to what’s going on around them!

Have a great day, Jessica!

Katie @ running4cupcakes — June 12, 2014 @ 2:12 pm

bummer we don’t live closer together – I would totally go see that movie with you!!

JR — June 12, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

I’m so glad you mentioned Miranda Lambert!! I’m sure my husband is freakin tired of me blasting it and singing around the house “Priscilllla, Priscillllllla”

Mary — June 12, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

omg i love all of this! and i also hate people posting all their blurry selfies and random pics of their blurry friends hahah

Emily @ Life on Food — June 13, 2014 @ 5:41 am

Life is good right now. I have been dreaming about nachos for dinner and after that picture I know they are a must.

Alicia — June 16, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

Re: Nordstrom Anniversary Sale
    I believe the presale doesn’t start until July 10th. The men’s Half-yearly is going on now. Wow, I obviously shop at Nordstrom way too often.

1. Pingback: Listing Forward | Wicked Healthy Washingtonian