Today’s dish is really just a math lesson.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

How many squares must you cut into this loaf of bread in order to feed two people appropriately? Answer: not enough.

How many calories does this bread even have if you just stand over the oven and eat it while it’s piping hot and oh who the heck cares if you burned your hands to smithereens. Answer: none. no calories. They only count if you’re sitting down.

How many minutes does this bread last if you make it for a few people or maybe even just, uh, yourself? Answer: no minutes.

I swear there’s an actual snack under all that cheese. Maybe.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

It all started with this cheddar tailgaiting bread from a few years ago.

AND! This is another spinoff of that ridiculous white pizza dip I shared two summers ago – yes, the dip that four of us ate in a matter of minutes. The flavor combo is just SO good.

First comes fabulous bread – I say sourdough but do what you want.

Next comes parmesan garlic thyme butter. Yes. PARMESAN GARLIC THYME BUTTER. As in b-u-t-t-e-r. Butter.

I almost drank it.

Instead, I drizzled it every bread crevice I could find. So I could later eat it.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

Then comes sun dried tomatoes. I didn’t do regular cherry tomatoes because I was afraid their water content, even when roasted, would make the bread soggy. We can’t be having that. So sun dried it was… chopped into itty bitty pieces. Oh my.

Then comes the cheese. Oh the cheese. PILES of cheese. Stuck in the cracks, blanketing the top, bubbling down the sides. However much you think you need… double it. That’s my motto from now on.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

So you know what? I tried this bread two ways. I tried it this way – the easy way out. The trashy go-to-the-store-and-buy-a-loaf-of-bread-and-slice-it-and-have-the-audacity-to-call-it-a-recipe way.

BUT. I also tried it this way. Last week I made my own dough, just like with this cheesy pull apart bread. I rolled it, cut, stuffed the cheese and butter and goodness deep inside. Baked it. It just… wasn’t that great. Actually, it was a fail. You will see it come December. I was super disappointed. Too doughy. But then I was all… what if… ?

A big fat crunchy, already-made loaf will do the trick. It just works.

So yeah. THAT. ^^^^^^

white pizza pull-apart bread I

P.S. I will fight you to the death for that burnt bubbly cheese.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

White Pizza Pull Apart Bread

Yield: serves 4 appropriately, 2 obnoxiously

Total Time: 35 mintues

1 loaf sourdough or italian bread
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon grated parmigiano reggiano
1/3 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
4 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
2 ounces provolone cheese, freshly grated
fresh basil leaves, for topping

Preheat oven for 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice a grid pattern into the loaf of bread, leaving about an inch uncut at the bottom of the loaf. I find it easiest to slice longways and then go back and slice the rest of the grid.

Loosely tent the bread with foil and place in the oven for 10 minutes.

Melt the butter in the microwave or a small saucepan. Immediately add the garlic cloves to the butter, stirring well. Add in the parmigiano reggiano and the thyme leaves, stirring once more. Gently pry apart the bread squares and drizzle the butter into the crevices of the bread. Once you're finished with the butter, gently add the chopped sun dried tomatoes down into the crevices of the bread too. Mix all the grated cheeses together and again, gently pry apart the bread and stuff the cheese into the crevices and pile it on top.

Bake the bread for 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove the bread and sprinkle some extra parmigiano reggiano on top. Add the fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.

white pizza pull-apart bread I

is this real life?

92 Responses to “White Pizza Pull Apart Bread. (aka, an embarrassingly easy summer snack.)”

Caroline — June 7, 2014 @ 2:38 am

hello, i a newer of this blog. after i have seen this blog, i think it is very good. so can i put my links on your blog roll? i will pay you if you are wiiling to, please let me know.
    my email is

Marcia — June 9, 2014 @ 11:25 pm

I want to get in my car right now, go to the store and make this bread. Yummm. I will make this weekend. Thanks for the great and well presented with humor website.

Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker — June 10, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

I want to smash my face into this loaf of bread. I will not share.

Shelly — June 11, 2014 @ 9:25 am

Have you ever made Dutch oven crusty bread? It’s all over the internet, but I’ll add a link for it, I’m sure you know it though… It’s soo easy and would be perfect with this! I’m going to make a lag and try it this weekend!

Shelly — June 11, 2014 @ 9:26 am

Lag=loaf. Obvs.

Emily @ Life on Food — June 14, 2014 @ 6:05 am

There is no way I am waiting till football season to try this bread. Super delish!

Lyndsey — June 14, 2014 @ 2:11 pm

This looks amazing, I want some right now. I am always happy to visit your blog!

bev @ bevcooks — June 16, 2014 @ 10:49 am

holy #@#$#^$%#$!.

Paayel — October 1, 2015 @ 12:23 pm

I am drooling and salivating. The pictures are mouth watering!!!

1. Pingback: I love lists, Friday! – Shutterbean

14. Pingback: Things I like Monday » Crazy Jamie

15. Pingback: do-not-touch-my-food: White Pizza Pull Apart Bread |

16. Pingback: How To Do Football Season Right | Live Happy Live Pretty

17. Pingback: 20 delicious bread recipes - It's Always Autumn

18. Pingback: Yogurt Bread | 303 WASH

19. Pingback: 8 Dinner Ideas That you Should Cook For Your Loved Ones

20. Pingback: 25 Cheesy Recipes For People Who Love Their Cheese Melted — Fire Zorg

21. Pingback: 25 Recipes You Need In Your Life If You Can't Get Enough Melted Cheese « Apprecify

22. Pingback: Here Are 25 Insanely Good Melted Cheese Recipes, You're Welcome

23. Pingback: 25 Cheesy Recipes That Will Have You Melting Away In The Kitchen - Viral Posts Ninja!

24. Pingback: Here Are 25 Insanely Good Melted Cheese Recipes, You're Welcome — Buzz Ryan

25. Pingback: These 25 Recipes Feature Melted Cheese In The Most Brilliant Ways — Viral Pie

26. Pingback: 12 невероятных блюд, которые можно сделать с сыром | Тайланд

27. Pingback: 12 невероятных блюд, которые можно сделать с сыром | Golbis

28. Pingback: 12 невероятных блюд, которые можно сделать с сыром

29. Pingback: Here Are 25 Insanely Good Melted Cheese Recipes, You're Welcome — Fire Zorg

30. Pingback: Here Are 25 Insanely Good Melted Cheese Recipes, You're Welcome « Apprecify

31. Pingback: 12 вкуснейших блюд, которые можно приготовить с сыром | likeplz

32. Pingback: 12 невероятных блюд, которые можно сделать с сыром - Наша Кухня - Простые рецепты для всех

33. Pingback: 12 невероятных блюд, которые можно сделать с сыром | Молитвы сохранения