I cannot believe this came out of my kitchen.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

It’s quite possible I’m becoming a pie person. !!!!!!!

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

I mean I know this isn’t legit pie. It’s not a real PIE pie. But it’s made with, like, pie crust. That’s the worst part of pie! Sometimes.

So part of me didn’t even want to eat it. I didn’t want to share. I wanted to frame it in a shadow box and somehow preserve this and be all “um omg I made this one time” and tell stories about it because I have no life. And just because I’m not sure if it could happen again and again.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

I’m still in “give me all the fruit” mode.  Loving it all and wanting it all.  I seem to be in a phase of making a fruit dessert one week – and a ridiculous trashy chocolate one the next. It’s just happening. And I don’t even want dessert much these days. Depression.

Pretty sure that this whole pie making this is some odd version of nesting for me. I haven’t really been able to nest in a real way since we are moving, so pie crust and baking it is. At least the people around me are thrilled.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

Galettes and/or crostadas are my thing – they don’t require the patience that an actual pie crust does – they don’t require making pretty edges or blind baking or any of that pie speak that makes my head spin. Basically it’s the lazy man’s pie.

Please be a lazy man with me.

This little dessert here is also ideal for you crazy people who don’t love super sweet and rich desserts. And I feel totally okay calling you “crazy people” because guess what? I am currently one of those crazy people. It is so weird. I can’t really deal with it. I always swore that if I ever got knocked up there was just nooooooooooo way my taste buds would change or that I wouldn’t want dessert. HAHAHA. Funny. Feel free to punch me in the face for thinking that I could control that.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

It’s just so cute I could eat it.

Oh wait.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

Ginger Peach Galette with Almond Crust

Yield: serves about 4

Total Time: 2 hours

crust (this makes enough for two large galettes)
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 cup ice cold water
1 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces (3 sticks or 24 tablespoons)
1/3 cup sliced almonds + extra sugar for sprinkling
for brushing: 1 egg + a few drops of water, beaten together

4 large peaches, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh mint for garnish

Add the flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse just until combined. In a small bowl, whisk mix together the egg, vinegar and water. Add the cold butter pieces into the food processor and pulse until small coarse crumbs remain. Sprinkle the water/egg mixture over the flour and pulse again until the dough comes together.

Remove the dough with your hands and wrap it in plastic wrap. This dough makes enough for 2 galette crusts, so you can either separate it into 2 sections now, or separate it after it's refrigerated. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Add the sliced peaches to a bowl. Stir in the grated ginger, distributing it as much as you can. Sprinkle the peaches with cornstarch, sugar, ground ginger and salt. Toss the peaches well and let them sit for 10 minutes.

Remove one of the crusts from the fridge. (The other is good for another week or so, or it can be frozen.) Roll one of the pie crusts into a... "rustic" shape - no shape necessary really - until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Layer the peaches in the center leaving a 2-inch+ border of crust. Once the peaches are layered, fold the crust over top of the peaches. Brush the crust with the beaten egg wash. Take the sliced almonds and press them into the crust. Sprinkle any of the exposed crust and almonds with sugar. Bake the galette until the crust and almonds are golden, about 40 to 45 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle with fresh mint leaves.

ginger peach galette with almond crust I howsweeteats.com

that crust though…

67 Responses to “Ginger Peach Galette with Almond Crust.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 1, 2014 @ 7:10 am

This is beautiful! I love the crust and have never seen anything like it! I’m not the biggest pie person either (no patience for making crust) but I could be with this baby around! Pinned :)

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness — August 1, 2014 @ 7:16 am

Hello pretty food alert! I have to agree with Averie, that crust is GORG! I actually happen to think pie crust is the BEST part…except I hate making it. So lazy girl galette’s FTW! Pinned!

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 1, 2014 @ 7:17 am

So pretty! i love galette and really appreciate how much easier it is than pie. We both channeled peach desserts today :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 1, 2014 @ 7:24 am

I am one of those people that doesn’t like crazy sweet, but I LOVE peaches and this looks fabulous! I just happen to have bought a big basket of peaches from the market yesterday, and now they just need to ripen up a bit. This looks to. die. for!!

Erica B — August 1, 2014 @ 7:32 am

If I have regular pie crust in my freezer, can I use that? Or is there something about this crust that makes it better for gallette-ing?

• Jessica — August 1st, 2014 @ 7:54 am

absolutely! whatever crust you like – use it!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 1, 2014 @ 7:34 am

You becoming a pie person is seriously my dream – pie is my FAV!!! Great looking crust!

Kim in MD — August 1, 2014 @ 8:00 am

That is one gorgeous galette, Jessica! I like the way you “nest”! ;-)

Chelsea @ Gal on a Mission — August 1, 2014 @ 8:06 am

I am in love with this crust. Never thought of or even see an almond crust before, amazing! I bet it tastes delicious too. Happy Friday! :)

Meredith @ Lakyn & Judah — August 1, 2014 @ 9:13 am

Looks SO pretty and yummy! I’m totally making this over the weekend….and not sharing with anybody!

Melanie @ Carmel Moments — August 1, 2014 @ 9:56 am

Sounds like me. I avoid making pie just because the crust always looks horrendous. But I tried it a few weeks ago with triple berries and it turned out better than I had hoped. So there’s hope for me!
    Loving this. I should totally make a galette. I’ve been seeing them pop up everywhere. Gotta try my hands at one.

rebecca — August 1, 2014 @ 9:58 am

“I always swore that if I ever got knocked up” ….. hahahah famous last words. Love this post and chuckled all the way through. Also, the pie looks delish.

Erica @ The Crumby Cupcake — August 1, 2014 @ 9:59 am

That is such a beautiful dessert! I’m a huge fan of peaches, and pie, and this looks so delicious I just might put it at the top of my “must make” list. Pinned!!

Sarah @ the gold lining girl — August 1, 2014 @ 10:03 am

The ONLY pies I will make are with pre-made pie crusts that you just unroll. I know it’s a foodie sin, but I HATE making pie crusts too. Pies are my least favorite baked good of all to make. BUT, I can definitely get behind this gallette. It looks so delicious and pretty, and the crust doesn’t have to be perfect. It’s better if it’s not because then it looks “rustic”. Haha. Beautiful dessert!!

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 1, 2014 @ 10:05 am

I am allll about the lazy man pies. I have only made 1-2 legit pies in my life; usually I’m doing crostadas or tarts. This one is particularly beautiful and sounds delicious! My biggest preggo craving has been fruit as well (which is VERY common apparently), and peaches are no exception! I am also totally with you on the fruit one day, trashy chocolate the next. Unlike you, though, my sweet tooth has BLOOMED during my pregnancy. I MUST have dessert every day, and that was never true before! Anyway, beautiful job on this galette. It’s stunning.

Kara — August 1, 2014 @ 10:18 am

Pretty as a peach :)

Sarah K — August 1, 2014 @ 11:03 am

Wow! That looks amazing. I always say I want to make pies but then I get overwhelmed by the process. Maybe a galette is the compromise I’ve been waiting for. Lazy person all the way.

JB — August 1, 2014 @ 11:16 am

This is beautiful! Also, I had to tell you that Humboldt Fog is pasturized. I have been avoiding it bc of pregnancy but no need. So happy!

Ashley — August 1, 2014 @ 11:30 am

GORGEOUS!!! And the flavors!!!!! Nailed it.

dervla — August 1, 2014 @ 11:47 am

nice work, Jess, I’m impressed!! And you said you’d never be a pie baker!!

Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking — August 1, 2014 @ 11:59 am

haha! A free-form crust is still a crust, hence you totally make a pie!!! I just bought 20 peaches yesterday….WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME! This is totally calling my name in a not so subtle kind of way!

Angel Reyes — August 1, 2014 @ 12:15 pm

I have two words for you 1. WOW. 2. WOW.

This looks amazing. I’m definitely pinning this to make it later.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 1, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

I couldn’t wait to see this one after you posted it on Instagram! It looks perfect–well done. And the almond crust…gahhhh.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 1, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

OMG this seems so fancy pants! I want to give it a try! I feel like once you’ve made a galette and a croissant, you’ve *made it* as a baker……. needless to say, I’m not quite there yet. ;-)

Liz @ Floating Kitchen — August 1, 2014 @ 1:20 pm

It looks beautiful Jessica! Can’t wait to try it!

allie@sweetpotatobites — August 1, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

Peaches are SO GOOD RIGHT NOW! I definitely need to make this.

Nazia @ This Baker Girl Blogs — August 1, 2014 @ 2:31 pm

This is one of the most gorgeous galettes I’ve seen! Looks delicious!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — August 1, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

Ohhhhh emmmmm geeeeee. This sounds insane in the absolute best way possible. I didn’t know galettes were a thing until last year, and I totally agree with you about them being a lazy man’s pie. WAY less stressful than actually assembling a pie, but still delicious. Also, peaches + almonds 4eva. I absolutely have to make this.

Jess — August 1, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

I love everything you make but these are absolutely beautiful!

Our Food Stories — August 1, 2014 @ 4:38 pm

oh my…..we really have to try this recipe! looks amazing!!

Norma | Allspice and Nutmeg — August 1, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

I’m a pie person. Love love ’em. Galettes too. This is gorgeous! Pinned!

Eileen — August 1, 2014 @ 6:53 pm

So pretty! That almond-crusted crust is a genius idea. I have always been a pie person, so this is absolutely the perfect plan to me!

How to Philosophize with Cake — August 1, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

Wow! This looks just incredible! I hope you are becoming a pie person because every pie you’ve made looks amazing :)

Millie l Add A Little — August 1, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

The crust is too gorgeous! I’m not a pie person but this may have converted me!

Valerie @ Bubbles and Gold — August 1, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

If this is nesting, keep it coming!! Yes. To all of it.

Please know you aren’t in control anymore. The baby is all-deciding now. Until the baby is born, that is. Then you can pretend to be in control ;-)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — August 2, 2014 @ 12:44 am

I love everything about this! Peaches. Ginger. Almonds. Love!

Lisa | Mummy Made.Zit — August 2, 2014 @ 8:07 am

You are so becoming a pie person…blame the hormones!

Heather — August 2, 2014 @ 9:00 am

I am a HUGE fan of making galettes. It usually happens on Sundays as a way to get rid of fruit that is becoming too ripe/soft. I don’t want to throw it out, so…..GALETTE! (See also, left over veggies, cheese, etc.) I think that the galette is the most perfect vehicle for left overs, and there is something extremely satisfying to me about making a dessert like this that has a rustic/homemade aesthetic.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — August 2, 2014 @ 12:54 pm

This is SO pretty. And pretty much the only kind of pie I make for the easy factor too. This would be SO amazing with those Trader Joe’s honey roasted almond slices

CakePants — August 2, 2014 @ 10:49 pm

Mmm…ginger and peach go SO well together! I absolutely love the idea of pressing almonds into the galette crust – it looks so elegant!

Ioana — August 3, 2014 @ 10:35 am

I made this yesterday, it is as good as it looks gorgeous. Actually, it’s better than that. Thanks got a great and easy recipe.

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — August 3, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Oh! My! Gaaaahhhh! I need this galette in my life asap! Love the flavor combos going on here.

Mercedes — August 4, 2014 @ 11:32 am

This is just so simply gorgeous!

Sarah — August 4, 2014 @ 11:39 am

That is easily the most beautiful galette I’ve ever seen! I love how you did the crust!

Kelsey M — August 4, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Ooh I love making galletes! It’s like making a pie… but easier and just as tasty!

Malin — August 11, 2014 @ 12:26 pm

This is beyond beautiful! The almond crust is prettier than jewelry!!! And I love lazy-man-versions of think – I´m such an impatient baker! ;)

Amber Privett — August 21, 2014 @ 1:10 pm

Possibly silly question as I am neither a pie or galette connoisseur — do you think this could be baked ahead and served a few hours after the fact? Making it tonight for Book Club. (: Thanks!

Phillip || SouthernFATTY.com — August 26, 2014 @ 12:01 pm

Whaaaaaaat?! This looks absolutely amazing!

Almond and peach always is a win. Bravo!

Kathy Burns — September 3, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

I had 6 ripe peaches in the fridge. This looked too fabulous not to try. I had all ingredients except the fresh ginger. I used a pre-made crust and am glad I let the peaches sit for 10 mins. I didn’t add all of the juice back in and wonder if I am sacrificing some of the starch. Hmmm? It is in the oven now…..

1. Pingback: peach crumble & summery links | Love and Lemons

2. Pingback: #DroolWorthy - The Kitchen Paper

3. Pingback: » Highlights: Stone Fruit

4. Pingback: well, hello monday… |

5. Pingback: Weekly Menu August 4 | PB & Pinot

6. Pingback: favorite things

7. Pingback: Salt and Pepper Heirloom Tart with Whipped Feta | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: TheBangkokGlobe | 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life

9. Pingback: 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life | Low BoreDom

10. Pingback: 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

11. Pingback: 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life » Blogfrogg.com

12. Pingback: あなたの人生にスパイスをきかせる29のショウガ色のレシピ | 健康に良い食事・悪い食事とは・・専門家が説明します!

13. Pingback: Peach Basil Galette with Whole Wheat Almond Crust

14. Pingback: あなたの人生にスパイスをきかせる29のショウガ色のレシピ | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

15. Pingback: 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life - All Foods Drinks

16. Pingback: 29 Ginger Recipes That Will Spice Up Your Life - Life Style News - Life Style News

17. Pingback: Summer Chicken Pot Pie Galette with Herbed Crust | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Vegan Peach Galette with Coconut Pastry - Whisk & Shout