Friday fries! We’re doing it.

herb salted garlic parmesan french fries I

Especially because if there is a time a place to eat fries, it’s Friday. And Saturday. And Sunday. And according to me, Thursday.

I do what I want.

herb salted garlic parmesan french fries I

This is the second part of those coconut curry mussels that I shared last week. And well, if you don’t think that parmesan garlic fries go with coconut curry… then you’re wrong. Simple as that.

Now I’m kinda weird about the whole fries-with-mussels thing. I like to eat fries WITH my mussels. But I don’t care about dipping them in the juices or broth or anything. I’d rather eat them on the side. Maybe one dip here or there. But that’s what the bread is for! DIPPING. So when you make those mussels, just serve both fries and bread and plan on taking a little carbcation that evening.

It’s for the best. Escape.

herb salted garlic parmesan french fries I

No really. Take a trip into your own fry world this weekend please.

herb salted garlic parmesan french fries I

These fries are extra special. I did the whole fry-twice thing and unfortunately, as high maintenance as it is, it works. Now don’t get me wrong, I still love oven fries and make ‘em on the reg. But there is nothing like these super thin crunchy fries when you want them. I like to mix a bunch of herbs with some flaked sea salt to create… an herb salt. If that’s a thing. I’m calling it a thing. It’s a thing now!

And then I also like to smother the fries with freshly grated parmesan because DUH.

They deserve it.

2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
2 tablespoons freshly chopped oregano
1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese

Add the sliced potatoes to a bowl of ice water and let them sit for 30 minutes. AFter 30 minutes, remove the potatoes and place them on one or two towels, patting them as dry as possible. Cover a baking sheet or two with paper towels.

Add the oil to a large pot and heat over medium heat until the temperature reaches 350 degrees. You can do this while the potatoes are soaking. You really NEED to use a candy thermometer for this to ensure that the oil doesn't get too hot. One the oil is hot, add the potatoes in batches and fry until slightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the potatoes and place them on the paper towels to drain. Let all of the potatoes cool for about 10 to 15 minutes, then make sure the oil is still at 350 and fry them in batches again. This time, you want to fry until they are even more golden and maybe a little puffy. Remove and place on the baking sheet again quickly, but this time you can let them drain for a second and them throw them on a plate or a sheet of parchment paper. Cover immediately with lots of the herb salt. Add the parmesan and toss, toss, toss. Taste to see if they need more salt or cheese. Of course they do!

herb salt
Combine the basil, cilantro, parsley, oregano, salt and garlic powder in a bowl and mix until combined.

herb salted garlic parmesan french fries I

I could take a nap on that pile.

55 Responses to “Herb Salted Garlic Parmesan French Fries.”

Averie @ Averie Cooks — August 8, 2014 @ 7:03 am

I want these for breakfast! :) They look awesome! Baked fries are good, but fried fries are the best kind. End of story :) Pinned!

Kim in MD — August 8, 2014 @ 7:13 am

YEAH! I have been waiting for you to post this recipe! They look amazing! It’s not weirded at all to serve fries with mussels. Most French bistros serve frites with mussels, and it’s delicious!

Bri | Bites of Bri — August 8, 2014 @ 7:18 am

These look amazing. I get it girl and totally agree. Frites with mussels On the side! Fries = the weekend (and sometimes the weekdays too :))

Tom @ Raise Your Garden — August 8, 2014 @ 7:46 am

Sorry that above comment is not my wife. Her name must have popped in automatically I don’t think she’d be happy if I said she wants fries for breakfast!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — August 8, 2014 @ 8:15 am

UGH, these look so freaking good. Wedding diet be damned.

bridget {bake at 350} — August 8, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Penny @ The Comforts of Home — August 8, 2014 @ 8:51 am

I too love my fries on the side with mussels. I sprinkle mine with herbs de provence and make a roasted red pepper aioli for dipping them into.

Yours look delicious!

Michelle — August 8, 2014 @ 8:58 am

LOL @ the yield

Jacklyn — August 8, 2014 @ 9:03 am

Oh my, these look amazing!! I want a bucket of these fries to eat at all times.

Medha @ Whisk & Shout — August 8, 2014 @ 9:08 am

Oooooh those look good.

Molly @ Yes to Yolks — August 8, 2014 @ 9:22 am

I’ve been waiting for these fries all week! So glad you shared them on a Friday. Very appropriate. I agree that the double-fry method is the best…definitely high maintenance, but so worth it! I want to go on a carbcation with bread, fries, and those mussels!

Michelle @ Healthy Recipe Ecstasy — August 8, 2014 @ 9:25 am

If you insist. I can never turn down a fry. :)

Alexe @ Keys to the Cucina — August 8, 2014 @ 9:52 am

These look insane, I’ve got to try this asap!!

DessertForTwo — August 8, 2014 @ 9:58 am

I sooo agree: mussels need bread AND fries. ALL THE CARBS. Amen.

amanda @ fake ginger — August 8, 2014 @ 10:07 am

These look AMAZING. Garlic parm fries are my fave!

allie@sweetpotatobites — August 8, 2014 @ 11:24 am

I always do baked fries but sometimes you just need a good ol’ fashioned french fry. Love it.

molly yeh — August 8, 2014 @ 11:53 am

hold the phone. if friday in my house is for pizza… but now friday is for fries… i should probably put fries on my pizza?!?! doing it.

Eileen — August 8, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

I barely ever deep fry at home. but I may have to make an exception for these fries! They look DELICIOUS. I just wish I would have them for breakfast right now–maybe with a fried egg or two, so I could dip them in the yolk? Yes!!

Ashley — August 8, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

Ummmm, holy heck. I’ve never heard of the double fry method. Please come demo it in my kitchen.

Diane — August 8, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

Wow the sight of these just triggered like four other cravings in me! now i need fries + fried seafood + beer for dinner

Beth @ bethcakes — August 8, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Oh my gah, yes. I could eat fries all day any day. These look and sound awesome. I always bake fries, but I would totally fry for these. :)

joelle (on a pink typewriter) — August 8, 2014 @ 12:38 pm

Mouthwatering. So, do you peel your potatoes first? Is that mandatory? I’m never sure, and HATE peeling veggies.

Amanda — August 8, 2014 @ 12:42 pm

These look so amazingly good. Totally craving these now :)

ami@naivecookcooks — August 8, 2014 @ 1:01 pm

hehe I love the way you say duh they deserve parmsesan!! Loving these fries!

Tamar — August 8, 2014 @ 1:09 pm

These look amazing! and sincd you’re cool with the whole fries thing, might I suggest something my favorite local burger place serve — lemon zest on the fries. sounds a little weird (well, maybe not to everyone…) but it is DIVINE. try it out!

Michelle @My California Kitchen — August 8, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

I need these Friday fries today (and Saturday, and maybe even Sunday). And parmigiano reggiano! Yum!

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs — August 8, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

Holy yum! I so wish I were eating these right now :)

Meghan @ Cake 'n' Knife — August 8, 2014 @ 2:22 pm

I swear if I could afford my own personal chef, I would hire you in a millisecond!! I am dying for some of these right now.

Steph — August 8, 2014 @ 2:30 pm

Ohhhh man. These are a must try.

Larry — August 8, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

Christine [from-The Lion's Den] — August 8, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

oh my those look amazing. I just had lunch but I’m all of a sudden hungry again.

Valerie — August 8, 2014 @ 5:20 pm

Moules-frites always takes me back to childhood; sticky salty fingers + adults with a *bit* too much wine. ;)

Love your herbed up rendition of the fries!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — August 8, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

Mmm these sound SO good! I haven’t had fries in so long but am half tempted to but one of those fry slicer thinggies from Bed Bath and Beyond so I can churn out heaps of them. Love your twist on these!

Emma — August 8, 2014 @ 7:38 pm

Fantastic photos and those fries sound delicious! Definitely a recipe to try! :)

ACER Laptop Service In Chennai — August 9, 2014 @ 1:38 am

Thank you very much for such a lovely and informative post.

Millie l Add A Little — August 9, 2014 @ 5:04 am

This looks ridiculous Jessica!!! I love fries!!

Emilie@TheCleverCarrot — August 9, 2014 @ 8:25 am

Oh yes. This will do. That whole pile of herby deliciousness. That color is just gorgeous! :)

Cheyenne — August 9, 2014 @ 12:44 pm

delicious! sooo so making these as soon as possible.
    xo, cheyenne

Rebecca — August 10, 2014 @ 1:06 am

Gasp! These look delicious. I am the biggest french fry fan, these are on the menu for dinner tonight!!!!! Bec x

Karly — August 10, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

Whyyyyy must you do this to me? I haven’t even had breakfast yet and now I need french fries!

Phi @ The Sweetphi Blog — August 11, 2014 @ 10:28 am

I could literally eat fries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner…oh god, now I’m craving some after seeing this amazing recipe! And those mussels? I was eagerly awaiting this recipe to make with them. Hello dinner!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist — August 11, 2014 @ 1:47 pm

These look SO good! And the pics are perfection

Christina — August 11, 2014 @ 9:09 pm

can you do a little tutorial on how you cut your fries? I mean I know it seems easy but mine always come out irregular and nothing like recipes show!!! Thanks!

Jessica — August 12, 2014 @ 8:58 pm

I served these fries with parmesan crusted fish on Saturday night and they were so good! This was my first time making homemade french fries and my husband thought they tasted better than any restaurant’s. We can’t wait to make them again! Thanks for the recipe!

Carrie Pacini — August 15, 2014 @ 2:52 pm

Your fries look amazing!

Sofía — August 21, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

Everyday should be fries day.

April @badgerkitchen — August 22, 2014 @ 11:37 am

These sound yummy! I’m totally with you on not dipping my fries in my mussels. I wish sometimes restaurants would give me a whole basket of bread just for dipping instead of fries! :)

ray ban wayfarers — August 26, 2014 @ 10:16 pm