I made these bars this past weekend and immediately put them into the freezer so I could take them on my upcoming vacation.

Do you know what I learned?

It doesn’t matter if sweets are frozen solid, I will find a way to eat them.

The bars didn’t even freeze the whole way through. I only know this because I bit into one (or eleven) mere seconds after removing it (them) from the freezer.

Lesson learned: freezing baked goods does not keep me from eating them.

These are really just cookies baked into bars.

I stole the idea from Heather, who often makes a batch of cookies into bars. She calls it lazy; I call it genius.

They are so much better this way. They are thicker, chewier, and give you more cookie volume per square inch (centimeter?).

And when you are dealing with chocolate and peanut butter, the more the merrier.

We all know it is the best combination on the planet.

It is a requirement that chocolate and peanut butter should be eaten together every single day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

Hey, I don’t make the rules. I just follow them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

1 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon course sea salt

1/2 cup peanut butter

1 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 325.

Cream butter, peanut butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in peanut butter chips. Spread dough in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Other sizes will work too, it will just determine the thickness of the bars.

Bake at 325 for 25-30 minutes.

I think there are approximately 2.5 bars left in my freezer. I need to figure out how I can incorporate them into breakfast. What’s funny is even assuming that they can make it into a breakfast combination before my little sausage fingers pop them into my mouth.

Don’t forget to subscribe to How Sweet It Is so you can get updates while I’m on vacation. I will be blogging about my trip (because I am going to my favorite place!) in my Fit Bites section. You can also subscribe by email.

83 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars.”

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — July 28, 2010 @ 9:20 am

My favorite food combos… ever! If you like these, I suggest you try Ina Garten’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownie recipe. I made them once and they are rich, moist, amazingness!

Brittany — July 28, 2010 @ 10:03 am

amazing how good chocolate and peanut butter go together : ) That looks great! thanks for the recipe!!!

I have a JEWELRY GIVEAWAY that ends friday : ) CHEERS HAPPY WEDNESDAY!

Blond Duck — July 28, 2010 @ 10:31 am

Freezing is the only thing that will keep me from eating treats (I’ve tried.) Otherwise the only thing that works is hiding them where I can’t see them or reach them without a lot of effort.

Though somehow, no amount of effort is too much…

Naomi(OneFF) — July 28, 2010 @ 11:19 am

i love the rules, and i will gladly follow them :) those look so delicious! i would think in the summer time, they would almost be so much better straight outta the freezer! crumble it up on greek yog or hot oats! MMMMM

Ingrid — July 28, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Love these! Yummy!

One Healthy Apple — July 28, 2010 @ 11:42 am

I think they are great for breakfast. My husband eats breakfast dessert every single day. Of course he’s got a crazy metabolism, but there is cake out every morning!

Katie — July 28, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Cookie bars are pretty much my favorite thing on earth. They even rank above cake (gasp!). Plus, dessert breakfast is phenomenal…frozen or not. ;-)

Yum, you can’t go wrong with a stick of butter. :)

Kaitlin With Honey — July 28, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

I love cookie bars! My very favorite are my mom’s “Magic Bars,” but I don’t think I could even begin to make those sugar-free, so I’m not sure I’ll ever be having those again. :(

I also love frozen baked goods. A cookie in the freezer is just as good to me as a cookie from the pantry. Of course, this is coming from a girl who loves her cake cold…

amanda — July 28, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

I love frozen sweets!!!! I will freeze and eat candy bars, chocolate, and vitatops.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — July 28, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Chocolate and peanut butter are in fact one of the greatest combinations in the world! :)

DessertForTwo — July 28, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

I LOVE the idea of using cookie dough to make bars!

I hope you have posts lined up for the week you’ll be on vacation–I can’t live without your daily posts! :)

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — July 28, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

I don’t actually think that I’ve frozen baked goods and then eaten them that way ;) except for maybe cookie dough, which comes frozen in ice cream. Have a great trip! Can’t wait to see the pics!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 28, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

oooh I am so jealous that you have peanut butter chips over there! I am yet to see them in Australia…actually that is probably a good thing ;) For my waistline at least ;)

jill — July 28, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

I love freezing bars & cookies and warming them up in the microwave for a few seconds and then topping it with some frozen yogurt … yummy, will definetly be one of my “treats” for the week!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — July 28, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

“They are so much better this way. They are thicker, chewier, and give you more cookie volume per square inch”–YES!

THat is my childhood, my mom made bars more than cookies b/c they are faster, easier, and denser. Win-win-win

Omg it’s too ironic about what I just emailed you. Hadnt even seen this post!! I did tell you i am psychic, right!

And liking the Fitbites, email subscription, all that action…you go girl!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — July 28, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Well I just made blondies, so I must say BLONDIES FOR LIFE!!! (even though yours are actually bars, not brownies). But, if I’m going to eat a brownie-like-cookie-bar, it must either a) have some sort of icing/frosting or b) include peanut butter. So, you win again…

Cara — July 28, 2010 @ 10:04 pm

Couldn’t agree more!

Anna — July 29, 2010 @ 6:16 am

Hear hear! :)

Ramya — July 29, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Hi Jessica! I am in love with your blog and have been obsessing over it for quite some time now (I too, am dramatic)…. I am lazy but I hope to start my own blog sometime real soon!

You should probably incorporate bacon into these things. And smoked salt if you’ve got it! Bacon is why I only a “semi”-vegan…..

Kathy — July 29, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

I love you! That’s all I have to say! (and your friend, too, who made this!)

Yum Yucky — July 29, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

I can practically tastes these right now. Why isn’t my computer screen edible??

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 29, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Yum… These are making me hungry!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — July 29, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

Hol-Y cow. I should not be allowed to read your blog at night. It is dangerous. I know what I’ll be dreaming about tonight!

Paula — July 30, 2010 @ 11:04 am

It must be delicious!

Have a nice time!

Amanda — July 12, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

These brownies have become our go-to brownie recipe. We LOVE these brownies!!! :-) They’re SUPER!!!

Snoelle — August 21, 2012 @ 12:39 am

I made these bars… and they were probably the best dessert I’ve ever made… I added crushed mini Reese’s cups to them… and they were one of the most delicious, richest, peanuty chocolaty delights ever… thank you so much for the recipe.

caroline — February 23, 2013 @ 7:07 am

I really want to make these but I dont know where I can find peanut butter chips in Australia?
    What can i use as a substitute?