Avocado Lime Fruit Salad.
How are you on this fine June day?
Wait… fine June SUMMER day! It’s summer! Break out the tequila and bikinis and tiki torches. Throw a party and invite me! I’ll bring the margarita supplies.
Since it’s summer, I really need you to do two things. Like… today. You really need to do these things today. You will like them. They are summery things.
First, find a cup with a lid. Add some lime juice. Add some sort of adult beverage. Let’s just say… rum. Sweet, sweet rum. The clear kind. Not the spiced kind. It can be flavored… whatever. I like coconut. Add some ice to that cup. Shake it all up. Find another glass. Smash some mint leaves with a muddler. Don’t know what a muddler is? Yeah. That’s a bunch of ridiculousness. In situations like these, certain things come in handy. Like the handle of a screwdriver. Perfect muddling right there. Try it.
So muddle that mint with some sugar. Or maybe a simple syrup or something of the sort. Maybe add some ice to that glass? Just a little. And pour that minty, limey rum liquid over top. Drink. Preferably with a friend. Maybe on a back porch? With the sun streaming in? With a bunch of salty chips and some sort of delicious dip?
Or you could just drink it in your dark living room while watching your DVR-ed episode of The Bachelorette and wearing your sexy triple XL sweatpants. Whatev.
I’m pretty sure I just instructed you to make the biggest mess of a mojito ever, but who cares? You have lime and rum in a drinkable glass. Rim it with sugar. Be happy. It’s finally summer. The season of swimming and fireworks and mosquitoes and grills.
The second thing you have to do is chop some fruit with and pair it creamy avocado, in a SALAD. Sound weird? It’s not. Especially when you drizzle it with lime and honey and a sprinkling of fresh mint. LIKE. It’s really, really delicious. Do you think I’d eat a salad if it wasn’t?
It’s the next best thing to a mojito. AND you can eat it for breakfast. Mojitos usually don’t classify as breakfast unless… well, you know.
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 large strawberries, quartered or halved
- 3 peaches, sliced
- 2 small avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 small bananas, sliced
- juice of 3 limes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- tiny pinch of salt
- a bunch of fresh mint, some chopped and other leaves left whole for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine lime juice with honey, salt and a bit of chopped mint leaves. Whisk to combine. Add in strawberries, blueberries and peaches. You can make the salad ahead of time before serving and set it in the fridge at this point. Right before serving, chop bananas and avocado, add to salad, and toss to coat in the lime juice mixture. Garnish with additional fresh mint.
Why can’t all salads be like this??