Shrimp Burgers with Chipotle Cream and Coconut Peach Salsa.
Let’s eat dinner together!
Dinner in the form of shrimp burgers. I’m also thinking grilled corn. And for the past two days I’ve been obsessed with the idea of a grilled corn, avocado and blueberry salad. With butter lettuce, of course. Because it’s BUTTER lettuce people. Don’t say no.
I’m also adding in some really crunchy kettle chips, most likely because it’s 100 degrees and I am currently burnt to a crisp. Cherry red. Pink flamingo. Totally refusing to stand in front of the stove anytime soon.
And white wine… really, really crisp white wine that is ice cold.
This is like my dream meal at the moment, darnit. I would probably pay a hefty, unreasonable amount of money for someone to bring me this burger wrapped in parchment while I sit in an adirondack chair on the beach.
It sounds very fair to me.
So like… I guess I have this little fascination with turning some of my favorite seafood items into burgers. After the tilapia burgers – which were SO good… no, really… so, so good – I was hooked. I figured those burgers would be pretty tasty, but was blown away by how much flavor they packed and how delicious they were enveloped in a toasted whole grain bun and topped with watermelon salsa. I had no idea what I was in for. And the best part is that I actually think I like these shrimp burgers BETTER.
I ate one six days in a row since I was playing single lady and seriously? I couldn’t get enough. And we all know how bored I get. Bored of routine, bored of the same meals, bored of life in general when it doesn’t include sprinkles and glitter and sparkling cocktails. I’m secretly 12 years old.
I threw some toasted coconut in a tossed-together salsa not only to starve off my boredom, but also because coconut shrimp is the best and I wanted to do something that slightly mimicked it. Right? And this is like, sort of that. And incredibly fabulous. And on our dinner party menu! Don’t be late.
- 1 pound raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2/3 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chipotle sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 6 whole wheat buns, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced for topping
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted coconut
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt + pepper to taste
- Add shrimp to a food processor and pulse until chopped. Transfer to a bowl and add egg, panko, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder and basil. Mix until combined, then form tilapia into patties (form tightly with your hands, trying to prevent cracking). Heat a skillet oven medium heat and add half of the olive oil, then cook patties until golden on each side, about 3-4 minutes. Repeat with remaining burgers.
- In a bowl, stir together sour cream, chipotle sauce, lime juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread on top of burgers, then layer with avocado and peach salsa!
For salsa: Stir ingredients together and serves on top of burgers!
One day I topped this with bacon. Also do that.