Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Fruit AND vegetables on Monday? This is huge.
I desperately need it too, after a weekend that severely lacked nutrition (ummm except for frozen yogurt – twice – which is 100% healthy) and I will gladly take it in carb form other than… real form. Much more interesting eating green veggies this way.
What this weekend didn’t lack was really cold white wine, a Saturday spent grocery shopping (which uh, might be my favorite date – I’m easy) and an excellent night’s sleep because I just might have “forgot” to wake up my husband after he fell asleep on the couch and then covered him in a blanket, tip-toed out of the room, turned on a repeat of Fashion Police along with the ceiling fan on high and enjoyed a looooong, solid stretch of interrupted shut eye. I love playing that game.
And the next day? We seriously researched king-sized beds and are currently trying to figure out HOW we can fit a mattress up the steps and the actual headboard in our room. I’m up for all sorts of trickery with this.
I’m also attempting to figure out how I can manipulate this entire situation into a fully decorated Anthropologie bedroom paradise.
And apparently putting vegetables in my MUFFINS.
I might be losing it?
I haven’t made many baked goods with zucchini in them because, well… I’d think the reasons were obvious. But last week I had some super delicious zucchini lemon bread and I didn’t think that there was any way I could top it sooooo… I took the easy way out and made muffins. And added chocolate because that makes everything – especially vegetables – better. Oh and brown butter glaze. If you want it.
But who wouldn’t?[/donotprint]
Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup mashed banana, 1 small-medium banana
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar together until smooth and no lumps remain. Add in vanilla extract, butter and milk, whisking again until smooth, then stir in zucchini and mashed bananas. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 of the way full with batter (I use a 1/4 cup measure to get the muffins to be of equal size).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until tops are no longer wet and become slightly golden. Remove and let cool until comfortable to the touch. Top with brown butter glaze if desired.
Softest muffins ever. No seriously.