Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Muffins. (…with chocolate chips! of course.)
I consume an embarrassing amount of peanut butter.
Probably not as much as you though. There are peanut butter lovers and there are peanut butter fah-reaks. I am occasionally the latter, but not always. I don’t necessarily crave peanut butter the same way I crave avocado and bacon and pizza. I blame that on my mom who sort of scarred me for life when she would butter the bread of peanut butter sandwiches twenty years ago. I like butter and I like peanut butter, but I cannot get aboard the butter-on-peanut-butter-sandwiches train. Also, I’m saying this as if it’s in the past. It obviously occurred in the past but she definitely still would butter the bread on a peanut butter sandwich today. I’m not sure who she is making peanut butter sandwiches for right now, but she is certainly still buttering the bread.
Regardless, I eat peanut butter in every form except on untoasted bread for that very reason. Can’t do it.
But! I crazystupidloved these muffins. In fact, the case is that I enjoy peanut butter flavored THINGS more than actual peanut butter. Weird?
I’m totally declaring that a verb too. You know, crazystupidloving things. I think I’ve watched the movie enough times to understand the general concept (which is, hello, ryan gosling) and am now able to thoroughly crazystupidlove certain foods. And shoes too. I always crazystupidlove shoes.
You know my stance on muffins: they are simply cupcakes without hats. So peanut butter? Chocolate chips? Definitely crazystupidlove worthy. You need to get in on this.
The fact is that it’s Friday, these are whole wheat and I’m certain you deserve to make a batch and slather them in butter. You can feel good about it.
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place liners in a muffin tin and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt and sugar until smooth. Add in melted butter and peanut butter slowly, whisking constantly until creamy. Whisk in milk. Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips, mixing until just combined with a large spoon. Do not overmix! Using an ice cream scoop, 1/4 cup measure or large spoon, fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes, just until tops are set and slightly golden. Remove and let cool, then serve!
- [note: I sometimes find that muffins/cupcakes made with peanut butter tend to get a bit dense (maybe since peanut butter is solid at room temp?) after a day or two, so I like to heat these up for a few seconds before eating!
Or you can cover them in more peanut butter…