Brown Butter Tilapia with Toasted Basil Butter Breadcrumbs.
It’s been way too long since we discussed brown butter.
In fact, I think it’s been almost a month and in Jessica Time, well that’s like… ages. Too long.
So in terms of discussing, I guess I’m just going to tell you that I made this tilapia and drizzled some brown butter on top. I still cooked it in coconut oil but with that little extra drizzle of flavor? ohmahgah. And then I made some of those garlic brown butter bread crumbs and added a tiny bit of dried basil and threw it on top and just… yes. Right now I’m all about just tossing breadcrumbs on things instead of encrusting them entirely. It’s just easier.
Or maybe I’m just lazier.
I can’t decide.
In other news, when is the world going to reward me with a new episode of Nashville? I can’t take this waiting nonsense. In other, other news, I finally got a curling wand – like a curling iron without the clamp? – and yeah, totally infatuated. Love it. I’m just about three years behind the trend, so that’s awesome. And in final other news, yesterday I watched the pope stuff while painting my nails. This felt so odd, yet I completely justified doing such an inappropriate non-work task during work hours since I was watching real life news and not reality TV trash. And – if we’re being honest, watching Josh Elliot. Such is life.
Okay that is all for today. Carry on.
Brown Butter Tilapia with Basil Butter Breadcrumbs
- 4 fresh tilapia filets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown butter
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Add breadcrumbs to a small saucepan over medium heat and toast until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and immediately stir in garlic, dried basil and 1 tablespoon of brown butter. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season tilapia with salt and pepper.
- Add coconut oil to the skillet and once melted, add in tilapia. Cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until slightly golden or opaque. Remove from heat. Right before serving, drizzle with remaining brown butter and breadcrumbs.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
P.S. as boring as this looks… it’s so good.
55 Comments on “Brown Butter Tilapia with Toasted Basil Butter Breadcrumbs.”
I know this post is a few years old but I HAD to comment on it. We made this the other night and WOW. It was so delish. It tasted exactly like fish you’d get from a restaurant. We did a good quality tilapia fillet from Whole Foods which I think made it even tastier. We didn’t use the breadcrumbs because I am allergic to gluten but it was just as good I assume. :) Thank you so much.