Crunchy Buffalo Chicken Salads with Bacon and Spicy Ranch.
Can you indulge my buffalo chicken hang up for one more day?
Awesome. You’re the best.
You’re also the best because it’s Monday and I’m stereotypically bringing you a salad, but it’s only because I want pizza. Buffalo chicken pizza, to be exact. Shocker. We’ve still been eating it pretty much every single weekend so the whole thing is just overflowing into every other dish I make.
You know me and my phases. I’m sure this too will pass. (But hopefully not.)
Also, it’s sort of imperative that we eat buffalo chicken salads on this Monday because… we’ve still been eating the the pizza pretty much every single weekend. Like, both days. Like, Saturdays and leftovers on Sundays. And sometimes, leftovers for breakfast. So I guess that is three times per weekend? #bikiniseason
We all know that I’m a fan of salads without vegetables and this is no exception. In my opinion, the next best thing to salads without vegetables are salads with CRUNCHY things, like chicken fingers. Essentially, chicken nuggets on a salad. With cheese. And bacon.
Obviously you could leave those things off and health this situation up a bit. But, um, why would you want to?
The crazy thing is that I’m not really into ranch dressing… or any type of salad dressing if we’re being honest. It’s never helped with my dislike for vegetables and I think it’s actually hindered the process of learning to enjoy them. I do love some oil and vinegar though. But I also like a little drizzle of ranch or blue cheese when I make buffalo chicken pizza as I feel that it… completes the flavor, if you will. So I find that a teeny drizzle goes a long way here, and if you finish it with some extra buffalo wing sauce, you don’t need anything else. It’s spot on.
But I mean, I’m not a salad connoisseur or anything.
Crunchy Buffalo Chicken Salads
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup seasoned fine breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 cups of butter lettuce, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced or chopped
- 1 big handful of snap peas, cut in half
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 4 chives, sliced
- 4 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 ounces gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon creamy blue cheese dressing
- 2 teaspoons buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top, spraying it with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a bowl, whisk together egg whites and buffalo wing sauce. In another bowl, stir together panko, breadcrumbs, onion powder and flour. Dip each piece of chicken into the egg white mixture, then into the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the wire rack. Give the chicken a spritz with nonstick spray or olive oil, then bake for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the ranch, blue cheese and buffalo wing sauce.
- To assemble the salads, combine lettuce, carrots and snap peas in bowls or on plates. Season lightly with salt and pepper, then toss. Top with an equal amount of chives and green onions, then add chicken on top. Cover in gorgonzola and bacon, then drizzle with the dressing. Eat!